Lavu POS

Cloud-based iPad POS system for the restaurant industry

4.0/5
4.1/5
4.2/5
4.1/5

Taylor

Best Restaurant Software Yet

Reviewed on 04/11/2018

Pros

-Love the ease of using an iPad
-Size of the icons
-Different color option icons
- Different categories available
-Ease of table organization
-Ease of checkouts
-Very well laid out
-Easy clock-in

Cons

-Hard signing process, customers complained

Response from Lavu

Hi Taylor, thanks for your feedback! We love to hear directly from our customers, and figure out what can be improved and what is already working well!

Gladys
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Love Lavu and the team !

Reviewed on 08/07/2022

My experience with Lavu is second to none insofar as POS systems. We love this system and look forward to seeing the new implementation once released in November.

Pros

This software continues to grow with the customer demands. We seem to never be outdated or lacking. The servers have an ease of use on the floor with the iPads at table side. We love the software so much so that we will be implementing it at two other facilities.

Cons

There are cons to each software but there is not a dealbreaker for us with this software. It continues to grow and with that growth sometimes there seems to be the older than time conflict between tech and accounting due to reports however, the Lavu team are able to populate these reports in a timely manner. We have gotten everything we need from this program to meet the consumer demand of our growing winery.

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

The service team was extremely helpful in designing the system to meet our needs. Ironically we are more busy than we ever have been and this software and the tech team have been amazing in helping us realize the potential of what we can do with this software and realize efficiency through growth. We are happy to have made this decision.

Response from Lavu

Hi Gladys, thanks for your feedback. We appreciate hearing firsthand from our customers, and it really helps to hear what works so great and what can be improved upon. We appreciate your business and we thank you for being a loyal Lavu customer!

Cindi

My experience with Lavu

Reviewed on 28/10/2022

I have been very satisfied with this company.

Pros

The ease of navigating through all the different functions available.

Cons

I really haven’t found anything that I have felt is worth complaining about or suggesting changes.

Response from Lavu

Hi Cindi,

Thanks so much for reaching out and taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback. The Lavu team really appreciates hearing about your experience. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

Daniel

Underdeveloped and unsupported

Reviewed on 04/06/2021

I deployed LAVU POS at three of my restaurants several years ago. Initially the basic product was well supported and reasonably easy to use.

About the time of the pandemic everything changed. The US based customer support staff disappeared and was replaced by a call center in India, our monthly fees nearly doubled (in the middle of the pandemic!) and LAVU rolled out Menu Drive, an online ordering platform, which we subscribed to.

The biggest problem is that there is little to no integration between Menu Drive (which they purchased from a third party) and the LAVU POS. So any changes you make to pricing or item availability on your POS will not show up in Menu Drive. This was extremely frustrating. Menu Drive itself appears a very rough and amateurish clunky and visually unappealing effort.

In addition to the constant frustrations with MenuDrive, we began to have major problems with printers randomly going offline several times a day. My managers made endless calls to the LAVU customer support center in India, often waiting hours to get through. On the rare occasions that they were able to reach someone the solutions offered were basic and ineffective. Several times we had to close the restaurant because we were unable to keep LAVU operational for an entire day.

Between the lack of customer support, the inherently low level of design/functionality in both LAVU POS and Menu Drive, the relativly high monthly cost, I would say avoid at all costs!

Pros

Not much to like here. It is overpriced, underdeveloped, and largely unsupported.

Cons

1. The online platform (Menu Drive) and the POS are totally unintegrated. They were built by different companies and don't communicate.
2. Effectively (in our experience) there is no customer support. There is a call center in India but you may have to wait hours on hold and the limit of their technical expertise seems to be, "try turning it off and then on again."
3. Our salesperson quit responding to calls and email right after the sale was made and only resurfaced when there was yet another new LAVU product to try to sell to us.

Response from Lavu

Hi Daniel, thank you for letting us know about your experience with Lavu. First and foremost, we are sorry to hear the changes to the product (including MenuDrive) did not benefit you as they were intended. We now have customer service representatives in Mexico City, India, Tampa, and New Mexico to insure our 24/7 support line is answered. If we can help in any way, please reach out.

Mia

Seafood restaurant

Reviewed on 12/08/2022

Lavu has made it much easier for our restaurant to handle the influx of customers during the summer months

Pros

Used Lavu as our Point of Sale for years, I really like how easy it was to use and how portable the iPads are. Simple setup, we got it done ourselves in a few hours. Support team always there if we need it.

Cons

If wifi is flaky, system slows done, especially in busy times

Response from Lavu

Hi Mia, thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear how well Lavu has worked for your restaurant and staff. Please reach out if you have any questions!

Candy

Lavu POS review

Reviewed on 12/07/2022

overall Lavu is great. The staff is always looking for ways to improve the system & takes events when they come up and handles them to the best of their ability

Pros

Integration from our old Pos was simple.
Being able to add pictures of products or change color of box to help locate the items faster
Ability to change prices, product name, add new product with ease.
Ability to check/change anything from anywhere is a plus

Cons

When the internet is out, tickets don't print to the kitchen or credit cards aren't able to be run.
When happy hour times are up, you can still increase product quantity.
Having a large food menu, along with a large bar selection has us set up with several tabs & it makes it hard to be fast entering in orders.

Response from Lavu

Hi Candy, thank you so much for your feedback! We really appreciate hearing about your experience with Lavu, and that it helps you streamline your restaurant's operations!

Jason

Save Your Money

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

Pros

I was an existing customer since the inception of Lavu in 2012.

Cons

I purchased the system in 2012. Lavu offered a wireless system when they first came out. I soon learned if you sent a big ticket to the kitchen, it wouldn't print. Lavu advised the system needed to be hardwired for the printers to work properly.
I was a gold member when I signed up. I was told my price would never be higher than [Sensitive Content] per month. This turned out, not to be true.
The system worked flawlessly until about 2018. Lavu would frequently go down, offline, drop printer IP addressees, rogue attacks etc. In 2018 and 2019 I lost a lot of money thanks to Lavu.
I closed as most restaurants did in 2020 due to Covid. During the months I was open I noticed one month Lavu would auto debit my account for [Sensitive Content] one month, [Sensitive Content] the next. In March of 2021 to avoid these random charges I paid Lavu a year in advance. It was around [Sensitive Content] for service and a monthly charge for using up to 5 devices. In June 2021 I had to close and sale the business for a loss. I contacted Lavu to refund my money, and they refused. Don't do business with this company.

Response from Lavu

Hi Jason, thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you had to close down your restaurants, and that we were not able to issue a refund at the time. We appreciate your business for almost 10 years, and would love to hear from you. Please reach out so we can see what can be done.

Henry
  • Industry: Accounting

Great service

Reviewed on 15/11/2022

Great

Pros

Tech support is extraordinary [SENSITIVE CONTENT] and the rest of the team are amazing

Cons

Some functionality at checkout with the cash/cash discount function

Dana
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great, when it works (which is seldom does anymore)

Reviewed on 26/10/2019

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility, competitive pricing.

Cons

For three weeks in a row it has stopped working during peak hours on weekends. Customer service is a voice mail saying "we know there is a problem. This has become more of a sales organization than a tech and service one. Just horrible. Ruining our business. Stressing us out.

Response from Lavu

Hi Dana, thanks for your review. We are constantly working to improve our product, including networking issues. We do have a 24/7 customer support line that will always be answered, so please do not hesitate to reach out.

Ken

I am a big fan!

Reviewed on 14/10/2022

It has been extremely pleasant.

Pros

simplicity/intuitive. When I call the support team, they always answer quickly and are very helpfule

Cons

I find the menu design is a little tricky but I'm very new.

Response from Lavu

Hi Ken, thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate it! We're glad to hear that you've been enjoying Lavu so far - and that Tim was the one who helped you switch over!

Brian
  • Industry: Restaurants

Good product, hard to find anything that compares.

Reviewed on 09/05/2022

Pretty good experience overall. Over the years we've had communication issues. There have been some price increases and fees snuck in that I wasn't happy about. I can usually read between the lines and see when they are doing things to attempt to make.. and they haven't always been the most upfront about it. I usually call them out on it and at times have had to email the[SENSITIVE CONTENT] about issues that weren't getting resolved. I will say he's immediately gotten on the issues each and every time I've email and gotten me taken care of. Years ago there were some pretty bad issues with the service going offline and we were totally down. This has gotten 1000% better since they switched to AWS hosting. We did have another several hour outage recently, but that's the first and only one in years.

Pros

Pretty easy to use, stable for the most part. We've been using the software for 7+ years I believe. Over time we've integrated and started using more and more of their products such as KDS and card processing. Recently restructured their pricing and we now get the same service for less!

Cons

At times, certain things could be easier. I don't think the pizza building is perfect and could still use work. This goes for both Lavu and MenuDrive. We make it work and they've made lots of improvements over the years with help from our input.

Response from Lavu

Hi Brian! First off, I'd like to thank you for your continued business, and for your feedback! We really appreciate your comments, and we are continuously improving our product to fit the needs of each customer.

• Industry: Management Consulting

Former Lavu User

Reviewed on 17/07/2020

Overall, for the two years the system was satisfacotry. Until recenlty it was for the current management at the restaurant. The dealer is helpful - he is our first line of tech support before we go to KLAvu for support.

Pros

I liked using Lavu because it was the first POS for the restaurant where I worked. While I was employed there I used the system for 2 years. The set up was easy as the dealer came to the restaurant and set it up and did a one day training for the staff.

Cons

They system seems to have alot of glitches. Recently, the restaurant reported to me that they had a glitch and lost printers. Tech support finally helped and got the printers up but somehow lost half the menu. Also, I have witnessed personally that the sales tax is charging out properly.

Reasons for Choosing Lavu POS

We needed better reporting and labor tracking.

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

The fees and support were better by Lavu at the time.

Response from Lavu

Hello and thank you for your review! We appreciate the feedback and we are happy that Lavu worked so well for your business.

Murtaza

Lavu POS

Reviewed on 01/10/2021

Pros

Lavu POS is a very easy-to-use iPad-based POS. I have been using it for more than 7 years and it has improved from time to time. The ease of setting up a menu online through the Lavu control panel in no time is a blessing you can set multiple modifiers and group modifiers for all the items. The customer order-taking process is very smooth & quick for the staff as they can add the food or beverages item send it to the Kitchen the items will be printed on the respective station. Lavu POS suits our restaurant environment as we have seating arrangements upstairs and downstairs everything works flawlessly with the old apple routers that we have been using.

Cons

They have been fixing most of the glitches from time to time. We started using Lavu Retro that was the most stable version of Lavu since that there have been so many changes current version is 5.0. It works slow during busy hours but not most of the time.

The item adds up to the receipt multiple times which makes the reconciliation difference in the end-of-day report. The printer stops working sometimes so we have to close the app and reopen it again.

Response from Lavu

Hi Murtaza, thank you for your review! We love hearing from our customers. We are always working towards making our product the best it can be!

Lok

Reviewed on 18/02/2022

It’s been like a love and hate relationship

Pros

It was nice and easy to get used to. The system was nice.

Cons

The WiFi would go offline sometimes for hours

Clover

Reasons for Choosing Lavu POS

My manager made the switch

Response from Lavu

Hi Lok, thank you for your feedback! We're sorry that your restaurant's wifi has been having issues - it's always a nuisance when that happens. Please reach out if there is anything we can help with.

Michael

Great inventory and POS software

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

Great inventory and POS software. Ease of use and easy to teach employees to use.

Pros

Ability to have multiple locations. Ability to make inventory items easily. Ability to use an iPad for inventory counts.

Cons

Have to manually bath credit cards at end of day.

Response from Lavu

Hi Michael, thanks so much for your review! We're very happy that Lavu helped your multiple locations streamline operations. We appreciate your business!

patty
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great on-line ordering system for Breakfast/Lunch restaurant

Reviewed on 15/06/2022

We are happy with Menudrive, the cost is acceptable and we like how our staff doesn't need to answer the phone to get the order. Our diner is loud and it's hard to hear the order, get the payment info, delivery address etc. Plus they often want to know their total price. Menudrive allows them to easily place their order & pay for their order - without taking up staff time. We wish all of our take out and delivery orders would be via Menudrive.

Pros

Menudrive is easy to program; took some time but our menu is large and we being a breakfast diner we had many options for customers ie: how do they want their eggs cooked, meat type, bread type, etc. Menudrive allows an unlimited amount of items & required info

Cons

when entering items it was redundant having to enter the time available (if it wasn't an all day availability). Lots of key strokes but once it's done, it's done.

Response from Lavu

Hi Patty, thank you for your feedback! We love to hear from our MenuDrive customers, and how the product can help out businesses like yours!

Angel

Excellent POS for beginners

Reviewed on 16/02/2022

Pros

Is an easy to use, easy to program POS system. We use it from the beginning of our opening. Easy to use for employees and low cost for owners.

Cons

Probably make improvement on the schedule part to be more robust.

Clover and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Lavu POS

Prices, and easy use and opportunity to grow

Response from Lavu

Hi Angel, thank you for your feedback! We are always trying to improve our POS system, and scheduling is on that list!

Deanna
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

requested

Reviewed on 14/07/2022

Pros

The reports are extremely useful. I like the option to put recipes with the individual menu item.

Cons

When the system is overloaded and goes down, it never comes at a convenient time, generally Friday at 5pm

Square Point of Sale and Toast POS

Response from Lavu

Hi Deanna, thanks so much for your feedback! We're glad to hear that Lavu helps specifically with your reporting! If you have any questions, please reach out!

Agostino

My Pos Lavu

Reviewed on 10/02/2022

I’ve been using Pos Lavu for over 10 years, so I’d say it’s been great.

Pros

I love the ease of use and customization

Cons

Just common glitches that happen from time to time

Response from Lavu

Hi Agostino, thank you for being a loyal Lavu customer for over a decade! That's amazing to hear! We appreciate your business and do not hesitate to reach out with any issues.

Scott

Great customer service

Reviewed on 22/08/2022

Using Lavu has made it easier to do online ordering and takeout meals. Reports are much better than our last POS.

Pros

Easy to use and train staff on. Customer service is always nice and helpful, stays on the phone, and then follows up afterward. Like the control panel and reporting.

Cons

Price point - it can be more pricey than expected.

Response from Lavu

Hi Scott,

Thanks for letting us know how well Lavu has worked for your restaurant! It's great to hear from our customers about what they specifically love about Lavu. Please reach out if you need anything!

Jackie

POS review

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Hardly ever crashes

Pros

Tons of reports available, all tables at fingertips…

Cons

Wish all the reports would print from the new version by right clicking and printing on the page, like the old version…

Price

Response from Lavu

Hi Jackie, we appreciate the feedback! We're happy that Lavu is helping your business streamline operations, and is a good price point for you as well.

Dennis

Saves us time and money, works great for us!

Reviewed on 28/09/2015

I started using Lavu Point of Sale about 2 years ago. Before switching to the system we were using paper tickets, I didn't realize how inefficient this really was until I made the switch to an electronic system. Not only are we now spending less time managing each order, accuracy has gone up, and my shrinkage has gone down. The kitchen is only allowed to make items that are rung into the system and print out which has help cut down on theft or giving items away. The biggest time savings is getting the customers checked out. Previously during our lunch rush we would have a line of people waiting to pay and leave, now we are able to handle them as they come up to the counter since everything is already totaled up in the system.

Another big help has been the ability to use iPods to take orders at the table. We usually have a rush after church on Sundays, sometimes a line at the door. Before my servers had to go to the table, take the order, then take the ticket back to the kitchen. Now my servers go to the table, take the order, hit send and it prints in the kitchen. Then they can go straight to the next table. Anything we can do to speed up the time it takes to turn a table is a plus.

The amount of features that have been added in the last couple years has been amazing, it's nice to see that they are actively working on the software. The biggest thing for us has been the addition of 'always offline mode'. You just use the system and the orders go to the cloud in the background. When we first got setup we had some issues with the internet which interfered with using the system. They offered us a local server option but I did not want to install more hardware. While my internet situation was much improved by switching from DSL to cable I always worried that my connection going out could be a possibility. With the new version (3.0.3) the system keeps working even if my internet connection were to go out.

The Lavu POS software has worked great for us and I highly recommend it.

Response from Lavu

Hi Dennis, thanks so much for your feedback. We're so happy that you chose to use Lavu for your restaurant, and that it is working well for your operations. Please reach out if you have any questions!

Judy

The Best POS System

Reviewed on 06/09/2019

I absolutely love the point of sale system. Helps to be able to take orders from customers and send the order to the kitchen from the table. Then you can move on to the next table. It is so easy to learn and use. I like that you can go into the backside of the program and check your sales for the day, your amount of hours that you worked for the week and also what your own statistics are for tables waited on, amount of food you sold and what the prices of everything are. It is so Awesome!

Pros

Easy to use, easy to set up and it is self-explanatory. You can go into the backside of the program and checks your sales for the day, how many customers you yourself have waited on.

Cons

Not much about the software that I didn't like. Sometimes though I would have a hard time getting connected on my Ipad.

Response from Lavu

Hi Judy, thank you for your feedback! We love hearing how great Lavu is working for our customers! We're glad you like it.

Gabriela

Good pos system

Reviewed on 01/07/2022

Good system, very easy to set up and use to the servers

Pros

Easy to use, very friendly for the new hires

Cons

Some of the reports we need are not ready

NCR Aloha

Price

Response from Lavu

Hi Gabriela, thanks for your review! We are happy that Lavu is easy to use for your staff. We are also constantly updating our reporting options, so we will keep you posted.

Bernadette

LAVU support request

Reviewed on 23/02/2022

Fair learning curve

Pros

iPad capability, informative and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is deeply appreciated

Cons

One location at a time we have to input only one location at a time this is frustrating

Revel Systems

Ipad

Response from Lavu

Hi Bernadette! Thank you for your feedback, and for being a Lavu customer for so long!