Toast POS Reviews

Steve
Steve

Toast POS for Restaurants

Reviewed on 03/01/2023

We have had a great Toast experience overall. It is a vast improvement over our previous POS system and saves us a great deal of time by giving us important information in a concise, effective format.

Pros

The whole package is easy to use and provides a huge amount of valuable information. It also helps build sales with ordering and marketing options (some of which are at additional cost).

Cons

The initial installation required us to do a great deal of the set-up work, which required outside technical help. It also would have been nice to have someone present for an extra day or two to help with errors and changes. I am interested in rolling out Toast Order and Pay, but Toast can't locate a similar restaurant for me to model, which is causing delays in using this feature.

Sanford
  • Industry: Sports
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Have Some Toast With Your Brunch. Or Lunch.

Reviewed on 09/09/2023

With over fifteen years of customer service experience covering all types of industries imaginable, the Toast POS software stands out when regraded by it's ease of integration, system set-up and navigation, customization and guest interaction interface. High marks all around and a resounding cheers to Toast's user friendly design.

Pros

Simple and easy to integrate into my workplace's numerous departments, Toast POS offers a user friendly platform to build an inventory into with the option to edit the information therein whenever required, even in real time when alterations are needed to complete a guest's order. Toast POS has a sharp and clean visual design that utilizes an equally well developed workplace layout sure to please no matter what industry you're part of.

Cons

A small setback I've noticed is the required input of a guest's name or information to initiate the 'tap to pay' option. There is a button to 'skip' this input, however if guest recall is pertinent to completing an order then the name or number attached to the order is required. I would like to see the guest's digital pay pad screen offer the ability to input a name or number if only to make interactions conclude in a quicker, more proficient manner.

Response from Toast

Hi Sanford, Thanks for your positive review. We really appreciate your feedback and are happy to know we're meeting your expectations as a platform. If you haven't already, join our Toast online community at community.toasttab.com. Hope to see you there!

Miles

Great System

Reviewed on 23/12/2023

Pros

Great system have been using for over 2 years

Cons

Not much to report on this end, we enjoy the system

Response from Toast

Hi Miles, thanks for leaving us a review!

Tim
  • Industry: Restaurants

Disappointed is the right way to say it. Promised so much and did not deliver

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

It started off strong, and then just slowly going down hill. They have you locked in is how I feel, and now they don’t care.. They are worried about other things...

Pros

The hardware is nice. Having a handheld order taker is very nice. Also saving some paper with people signing the handheld device, but there are some issues as well. If there is an issue, it is nice to have a US based support center..

Cons

Well, You can not add an auto charge of 3% if a person is using a credit card unless you manually add it, the kitchen display has glitches, an order with 5 things will send a text alert for each item rather than the entire order when finished. I was also promised that the credit cards would not cost more, they would match or beet what I had in the past, and that is not ringing true to the tune of around 100 ish a month.... Took 4 months to get someone to finally review the credit card charges only for him to “shine me on” which is frustrating to a business owner. I have also had a few extremely good feature requests that I know other restaurants would use, like using the hand held to present the final bill rather than printing a receipt... But honestly there is no way to know if anyone has herd you, if anything will happen or if anyone cares... Also you can’t have pictures in the POS.. having pictures as well as having descriptions and a recipe would be great.. but no options...

Response from Toast

Hi Tim, Mora from Toast here. Thank you for all this feedback, we appreciate hearing from you as we work to continuously improve our product! We do have many great feature ideas in our queue from customers and are constantly working on implementing them. I would encourage you to follow "Feature Release Updates", available on Toast Central (central.toasttab.com). This is where you can find the most up-to-date product release notes for various Toast products.

Skyler

Efficient and Effective

Reviewed on 09/11/2023

Pros

Toast is designed in a way that you can learn how to use all the features within minutes. It is very user friendly, and dynamic. Great for both management and staff.

Cons

Once in a while, there will be a network wide crash that causes some entry errors, and occasionally some offline payment processing errors. Toast is usually great about fixing this.

Response from Toast

Hi Skyler, Thanks for the 5-star review! If you haven't already, please join our Toast online community at community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant leaders. See you there!

• Industry: Hospitality
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

I'd give it a 10 but then it would be perfect!

Reviewed on 21/08/2020

Overall, I really enjoy the system. It's simple to program and they have a great support system. It's worth the investment to pay for extended support until you or a manager has the ins and outs of the backend in hand. The reporting is awesome and when used the right way, you have your answers to questions you didn't even know you needed to ask.

Pros

I have been using restaurant POS for over 20 years and Toast has shown itself to be one of the best on the market. It is so user-friendly and easy to work in, including the handhelds, that it's amazing. In training new teams they offer a great program and support team. The layout is ideal for high-volume. Reporting is excellent. I refer Toast to most of our clients.

Cons

As with any new system you install, there will be issues and "clunks." Toast is no exception. The worst was the display screen and the use of it on the line. If you do not set aside enough time to train, prior to opening or first use, it will be challenging to understand, especially if you are not used to systems other than tickets and calling out. It just takes time getting used to and working out the kinks upon install.

CAKE POS, Aloha Cloud and Clover

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

We needed to have a better system than the old one we were using, as in most places. Toast offered the package at a wonderful price and the system supports the costs.

Price, support, system use

Response from Toast

Hi there, Mora from Toast here. It's great to hear that your positive experiences with Customer Care have enabled you to efficiently train up new team members. Thank you for providing this feedback!

Matt
  • Industry: Restaurants

Be Prepared for nickel and dimming

Reviewed on 12/09/2021

Overall it runs smoothly 90% of the tine with no issues. When there is an issue, good luck getting the resolution you were hoping for and be prepared to get very frustrated with them. Unless you're adding on services to increase your monthly bill, your not important to them anymore. Also the install was a complete joke, do yourself a favor and do the self install and save your money from the start.

Pros

Very easy to use and make on the fly changes

Cons

The constant Nickel & Dimming! I have multiple restaurants and its so frustrating that each one has different pricing. I have had toast for over 5 years now and it constantly has changed so much so fast that the customer service line employees have no idea how to get things done. If you power on and off and it does not work you will have to wait for someone to call you back that has higher credentials.

Also I have had their special router go out 2x now (funny just a week after warranty both times) and my restaurant could no longer use the POS and they could care less. Its been 1 week and still no replacement. Such a shame their customer service is so bad and it just feels like a money grab at times.

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

AT the time it was the only POS that could continue to accept CC when the internet went down. Now that many offers this, we are currently looking at other alternative companies.
kestrel

Beware!

Reviewed on 08/01/2020

Pros

I signed on to Toast because they touted themselves as software specifically for restaurants so I thought it would be an easy transition. It was not. As a POS system the functionality is fine. Servers can ring in food and it prints where we tell it but good luck pulling even basic, typical reports any restaurant would need. A lot of the reports I would want are listed as possible but then they don't populate with actual numbers. Support has no clue. I can wait to talk to a support person for 20 minutes sometimes or even get a "we'll call you back" which comes 24 hours or more later which is such a bummer when I have a guest waiting for a check and I need support to do it. When I do get them on the line they know about as much as I do about how to work the software.

Cons

Toast talks big and presents a front like they know what they are doing but they don't seem to grasp even simple financial or restaurant concepts. Do your servers split tips with a bartender or other support staff? Too bad because you are going to need to create your own spreadsheet outside the system to do that and then tediously go day by day to get the tip info for payroll. It is significantly more expensive than what I was doing before and they forced me to buy all their hardware, like printers and tablets which is dumb. Any old tablet would work better than theirs because they have it locked so we can't play music through it or manage our Instagram account. The list of problem s is too long to even go into here. DO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO RUNNING PAYROLL THROUGH THEM. The payroll program is a complete and utter joke. They have no clue.

Response from Toast

Hi Kestrel, Mora here from Toast. Thank you for providing this feedback, we are continually working on improving our reporting, analytics, and Payroll platform, and appreciate hearing from you. To ensure performance, we will continue to recommend that you only run Toast software on Toast hardware. I'm sorry to hear you have been having trouble getting ahold of our Support team. If our line (617) 682-0225 is busy, please log on to Toast Central (central.toasttab.com) to chat with them live during business hours. I have notified your Restaurant Success Manager to inform them of the issues you've been having and they will be in touch.

charles

Very Robust and Versatile POS w/ minor hiccups and One NO NO Add-On Feature

Reviewed on 23/09/2023

I'm now pretty savvy w/ Toast POS after 6 mo of use.

I'm now pretty savvy w/ Toast POS after 6 mo of use.

Pros

Robust and Versatile POS for full service restaurant. Perfect for full service restaurant. it does have some minor hiccups. Probably the best POS on the market. Integrates well w/ Open Table. Good support w/ little wait time most time.

Cons

Toast offers many useful integration except One major NO NO Add-on is Toast Payroll - it's a disaster. totally user unfriendly. clumsy, many non-sense system questions that cause confusion, lack of even the simplest and most basic yet required reporting. Even it's nice to have the time cards get carried over automatically, you would be better off using 3rd party time management and payroll app.

TouchBistro

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Features and integrations were not as comprehensive

Response from Toast

Hi Charles, we appreciate your review. We'll be sure to pass along your feedback to our team. - Carrisa

Michael

Amazing!!!!

Reviewed on 21/12/2023

Pros

It’s easily accessible and can always call customer support.

Cons

Too many outages.
Sometimes have issues with a connection.

Response from Toast

Hi Michael, thank you for sharing your feedback. If you haven't already, we invite you to join our online community at community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant leaders.

Valentina

Beware of their promises

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

After 6 months, I am not impressed. I am spending so much more money than I was before, and put in so much effort and time into setting everything up, but nothing is ever on point with Toast.

Pros

Nice features and ways to set up the menu for ease of use by employees. User-friendly up to a certain extent.

Cons

Most of the features promised by the sales rep were all available at an extra cost, after paying a lot of money already for the system and the hardware, you have to pay extra for EVERYTHING. Their customer support is very unreliable, sometimes you have someone great who knows exactly what you are talking about, sometimes it seems like the person has never even used the POS before... They put you on hold for 10+ minutes at a time too.

Response from Toast

Hi Valentina, Jasmine from Toast here. We greatly appreciate your feedback as we strive to provide best-in-class customer support and offer solutions for all of our customers. We encourage you to reach out to your Restaurant Success Manager so we can help your business thrive on Toast.

Peggy

Toast POS

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Pros

Software is intuitive and easy to navigate. Customer Service people ramp up quickly.

Cons

Focused almost exclusively on table service restaurants. Features for quick service need to be enhanced. Improvements need to be made in the area of Order management and Throttling in the Quick Service environment.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Aloha was fraught with software and hardware glitches that caused significant downtime. NCR/Aloha is behind in tech advances. Cloud, Kiosk, online ordering. Support was horrible.

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Existing customers reported few hardware/software failures. Toast seems to be vested in new technologies.
Stuart

Easy to implement

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

It keeps me up to date in real time with what is happening in my restaurant.

It keeps me up to date in real time with what is happening in my restaurant.

Pros

The suite of features in the software make it easy to integrate into almost any restaurant environment. They have an excellent team to get you started and help you design your system to your specs. Email marketing and loyalty program have been great for us.

Cons

I am not very happy with the fact that we were forced to take on Toast as our payment processor! This is costing us way more in fees than my original "Interchange Plus" processing that I had through my bank. This is a little disconcerting and could add up to some major dollars in expense!

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

NCR did not support my existing system any longer

Cost and benefit analysis
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Toast--Support when you need it.

Reviewed on 16/05/2019

We are still early in the implementation of using Toast, but thus far I have been very impressed with their customer service and professional manner in which they have trained and supported our company.

Pros

I love that Toast supports their product. You can call and get someone on the line that will help you answer your questions. They also provide the hardware necessary to run their software. They are constantly updating their software to meet the needs of their users and are staying current with the technology. One option that is particularly useful to us is printing individual labels for each shake. In other words, we could have a bus of individuals come to our restaurant, and we need to print individual labels on each shake to identify what is in the shake so that it gets to the right person. In the past, we had to individually write on each cup.

Cons

The most difficult part to swallow is the fact that you have a monthly payment for the software--even if you are a seasonal business and only open for less than half the year. Toast will make some concessions for that, but it still seems costly since our other solution we used was free and pretty much did everything we needed short of printing individual labels for the shakes.

Square for Retail

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

We chose Toast over Square because of: 1. Dedicated support 2. Individual labels for each shake 3. Text notifications to customer when their food is done 4. More reliable KDS (Kitchen Display Systems) 5. Much larger and more functional KDS screens
Nathan
  • Industry: Restaurants

Toast is best POS we have ever used!

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

This has hands down been the best experience with a POS company and software that I have had in over 35 years in the industry.

Pros

Functionality, ease of use, price, adaptability, continues upgrades with additions of new features, ability to request features

Cons

Customer phone service is very poor. Often get new and/or not well trained agent.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Unhappy with the features and price of Heartland. I compared over a dozen POS systems over the course of 2 months before deciding that Toast would be the perfect fit for us.

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Better features, better price, and best of all it was the most all in one solution
Shayna

Best Decision we made in 2022

Reviewed on 03/01/2023

This was the best decision we made in 2022. The customer service and offerings of the platform are next to none. This is our 3rd POS system since opening 7 years ago, and I can say with confidence, it is the best of what's around.

Pros

I love how robust it is! The search bar feature at the top makes it easy to find what you are looking for in a platform that is really encompassing of any of our retail and restaurant POS needs. I also love Quick Edit and that people on the floor can make quick changes without relying on management to go into the back office.

Cons

I wish there were a mobile app that would allow me to quickly check sales instead of having to login through a browser.

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Terrible customer service, nonfunctioning online ordering, terrible loyalty program.

Lightspeed Restaurant

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

I like that they are based in Boston, close to where we are, and that there is a local rep who covers our area. The personal touch is huge.
Paulette

Best & Most Efficient POS System we have used in our 27 Years in Business

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

The best POS system we have ever used. It provides all the tools we need to run our small business. We will never go back and I love that you guys are constantly adding more features.

Pros

Online Ordering, reporting, ease of Menu updates, delivery by DoorDash… there is anything that I’m not impressed with.

Cons

Truly nothing… I absolutely love all the features that Toast offers

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Toast is way more technologically advanced

HungerRush 360

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

For a pizzeria it offered way more options… square just wasn’t as flexible with pizza combinations and delivery services
Elise

I love Toast!

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

My overall experience with Toast has been great. We love doing business with you.

Pros

I love that i can change a button on a dime, update prices easily and the customer service is friendly to work with and always helpful.

Cons

I don't like that during a power outage that there isn't a battery backup on the system so my staff can still update their tips before the 4:00 am batch out time for credit card processing. We recently lost power for almost 48 hrs and we were open, there was not really any plan in place per Toast. We cant just not pay our staff their hard earned tips.

1Breadcrumb

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

its a better system, with better customer service.
Elizabeth
  • Industry: Restaurants

I have gone from recommending TOAST to experiencing extreme frustration w/ terrible customer...

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

Additional CONS that didn't fit in the above box:
*Unable to offer discounts for particular items...

Additional CONS that didn't fit in the above box:
*Unable to offer discounts for particular items online. Let's say you want to promote a particular food item that week and want to offer 50% off that item ONLY...can't do it. You can discount the ENTIRE check or offer a BOGO, but no way to discount specific items.
*Can't use APPLE devices with Toast, only Android
*Unable to have a popup or a visible way to notify a customer of something when online ordering. For example, sorry, but we are out of this item or here's how we are doing curbside pickup, etc. There is only a teeny, tiny way to notify guests with a small banner atop your page that no one sees. (but Toast is happy to have their popup promoting their app on your restaurant page.)
*Toast App promotes all business, not just your personal restaurant so if you advise your guests to download it, they might be tempted by other restaurants they see when logging in.
*Toast's NEW online ordering has a complicated drop down menu that causes guests to struggle. If you have a drink menu, an alcohol menu, a breakfast menu, etc. then the guest has to find a small dropdown and toggle between the menus to complete her order. 1. She man never see the drop down, think menu is quite limited & the restaurant loses revenue. 2. She may find the drop down but has to toggle

Pros

*user friendly
*online reporting accessible from anywhere
*online food ordering
*easy to add menu items

Cons

*excessive hold times to reach support, ie: more than one hour and no way to email support anymore (as was the previous system.)
*no way to reach support via email, even when Toast emails a restaurant, the restaurant can't reply because the email gets bounced back...instead you have to get off email, find a computer, log in and navigate to support, find the case and respond there. This is a big problem when managers are not on site at the restaurant but still managing a support issue.
*support cases opened on their online platform are not addressed and no one calls restaurant to resolve
*No way to email a receipt to a guest until AFTER they have paid and the transaction is over...a big problem for CATERING needing preapproval.
*Upsell feature with online ordering has Toast making strange pairings. For example, the restaurant guest orders a breakfast sandwich and Toast suggest an upsell of a bottle of salad dressing (instead of a breakfast side)! Only Toast can control the upsell so the restaurant can't promote the items it wants to promote.
*Handheld device does NOT support ApplePay.
*ApplePay on POS terminal is additional. Actually, a lot of things with Toast cost more money than what sales tells you up front.
*No way to comp a gift card online and email it to a guest from Toast Central online.
*No way to offer a promo code on your online gift card sales....like during the holidays when you want to offer gift cards for a certain percentage off the regular price.

Response from Toast

Hi Elizabeth, Mora from Toast here. I'm sorry this has been a frustrating experience. The process for applying relief credit does involve multiple internal teams, so thank you for working with our Customer Care team to resolve this. We have been investing in growing our Customer Care team to address the concerns of our community, but we recognize that we still have work to do. Thank you for this feedback, it's helpful to hear what areas need improvement.

Leo

Great POS

Reviewed on 15/06/2023

Pros

Toast is a very easy-to-use and intuitive POS. It was a great change from a legacy platform, and a brief stint with another terrible platform. Team picks it up very quickly.

Cons

Wish the handhelds had a longer lifespan. We spent a lot of money on them just prior to covid, then shut down for more than a year. Upon reopening many of them had issues with card readers, batteries and a new model was released. Wound up being many thousands of dollars spent only to be on the cusp of needing to replace them all.Wish there was more flexibility with an enterprise system. It would be nice to have more local customization while maintaining a brand database.

Aloha Cloud and Revel Systems

Reasons for Choosing Toast POS

Our last solution was absolutely horrible.

Response from Toast

Hi Leo! Glad to hear that you're finding Toast easy-to-use. We appreciate the feedback. If you haven't already, join our Toast Community at community.toasttab.com to connect with other restaurant leaders.

Mehdi

Expensive but worth it

Reviewed on 04/01/2023

I like it very much . The integration prices are too high but the rest is fine.

I like it very much . The integration prices are too high but the rest is fine.

Pros

Reports and analysis is so good and it's so user-friendly and so easy to learn and train for employees.

Cons

They are so busy when it comes to customer service but if you wait for them they definitely fix your issue but the problem is they're super busy for calls. But honestly for the past w years I had to call them like 2 times and the system worked so good all the time.

Better options on toast

Clovers

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

Options and accuracy also the reports
Jody

Online Order Fee

Reviewed on 29/06/2023

It was a great service - all do it yourself - which kept implementation costs down. Not easy for complicated food items, so takes time and effort. The new add cost to customers is wrong on all levels, so we are forced to reevaluate.

Pros

Easy to train and use.Good reporting.Integrated timecard/payrollConnected to caller ID

Cons

They are charging OUR customers .99 per order for "online processing". We pay all their fees monthly and do not receive any benefit from this additional cost to OUR customers. This adds complaints from customers (justified), cuts into tips, and is a poor business practice that we can't opt out of. We didn't know they would/could do this to OUR customers. Need to shop around for new POS.

Response from Toast

Hi Jody! Thanks for taking the time to leave us such a thoughtful review. We appreciate your feedback on the .99 fee for online processing. As a customer, we considered your feedback and decided to remove the fee. Please let us know if you have additional feedback on how we can continue to meet your needs.

Theo

Toast is really a great system easy & saves time. Problems false promises from sales rep & cc...

Reviewed on 26/03/2018

Pros

That is super user friendly. Fast and overall a great system. Seriously aside from what I write in the CON section. Toast REALLY is the best software POS system I have worked with. Hands down.

Cons

The credit card processing fees they initially promise you they can match your current rates which they DO NOT its a LIE. Then customer service never gets back to you or passes you on to someone else then someone else and someone else. Never follow through with their promises and never can get ahold of your sales rep and he doesn't reply or follow through when you finally do get him on phone. Beware they will not match your credit card rate like they promise you. They will overcharge you if you don't watch exactly what they are taking out of you bank account. You will get charged for modules they say they will " give you for x amount of months free" and then continue getting charged and have to wait months and months and make a million phone calls to try and get your money back for 'free trials they charged you for and your money back for when you told them you didn't want them at all after "free trail" and they continue charging you. Biggest advice is get your credit card rates in clear upfront writing and sit down and figure it out. Make sure they are not screwing you. Because its not only happened to us but several other businesses.

Response from Toast

Hi Theo - It's great to hear that Toast has saved you time and made the business more efficient. We strive to make merchant processing as transparent and straightforward as possible. It's great advice to discuss rates upfront and get the clear rate breakdown. Please work with our Support team to address your concerns. We want to find a solution that works for you.

Hunter

Toast is great

Reviewed on 07/08/2023

The initial hump is really difficult to overcome, but toast is great once you start using it. I imagine it would be a lot more difficult if I didn't have any technical knowledge.

Pros

The ease of use for beginners is great. Very simple for new staff to start using with little training.

Cons

The install is very complicated with little help. Setup could be a bit better.

SpotOn

Reasons for Switching to Toast POS

I signed the contract first.

Response from Toast

Hi Hunter, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to know that we're meeting your needs as beginners. If you're looking for additional support, please join our new online community at community.toasttab.com. We hope to see you there!

Larry

Toast at FCD

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

Toast takes the guess work out of what's moving and what's not, who is producing and who isn't. Tips tell me if my server is worth keeping. I have been satisfied with them overall.

Pros

The analytics and reporting are fantastic. Getting Toast go's for your servers allowed me to cut back on server staff and the servers make more money because they can turn 3 times as many tables

Cons

Their set up map for delivery is garbage, if you plan on having delivery go with a different system. They have been telling me for 3 years they are going to upgrade and instead we have 3rd party integration with delivery services which are way over priced.