Square Payroll Reviews

4.4/5

Christy Marie
Christy Marie
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Square Payroll makes it easy to run my small business

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Using Square Payroll saved me money by eliminating the need for me to hire a CPA. It was easy to set up and any initial questions I had were answered promptly and efficiently by Square. I've used Square to run a restaurant with 10+ 1099 employees and now I use it to run a small marketing firm that employs all 1099 contractors. It takes me less than 10 minutes to run payroll and get my employees paid and I am extremely satisfied with the service.

Pros

Square Payroll was is the easiest, least complicated system I have found to run payroll. I used it for four years while owning a restaurant and it was simple to add new hires and remove employees who left the company. Square files your quarterly taxes, unemployment insurance, and workers comp with each payroll run so you don't have to visit and file in all the different portals. I never had any issues with getting my employees paid on time and Square offers multiple payment options which can be customized to work with each employee.

Cons

There's nothing about Square payroll that I don't like. Square continues to add new features to help me grow my business and make payroll a breeze.

QuickBooks Payroll
Cham

Excellent once you get the hang of it

Reviewed on 07/05/2019

Pros

Square Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc.
As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets)
The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.

Cons

For our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee.
It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

The pricing and set up process for Square Payroll was better than the competetors, and the features available fit comfortably with my company's needs.
Angie

Poor product and customer services

Reviewed on 20/05/2017

A lesson.

A lesson.

Pros

Clean and easy to use interface. Unfortunately that's all the positives I can think of after using it for more than 6 months.

Cons

1. Lots of mistakes - inaccurate state/city withholding at the beginning, even the dashboard numbers did not add up/balance (these were corrected after we raised the issues). A few months later, suddenly they double deducted certain taxes from our bank account for TWO consecutive payrolls (you'd think they would fix it after we raised the issue the first time). This is worrying as it makes us wonder if they actually got all the calculations behind the scene correctly.

2. Lack of reporting - no detail of when or what taxes have been paid. No actual PDF of all your tax forms (like form 940), only PDFs of tax forms in Square's own format are available. When we finally downloaded our state payroll forms directly from the state website, numbers on the forms are missing (Square said it's the state's problem).

3. Customer services is not great. We almost always have to repeat and explain our problems again because they would reply with some generic answers first and never really look into the specific problems when they receive your email. So you have to repeat and explain, and when they finally realize there were mistakes, they would not even contact you to let you know it is corrected (don't expect an apology).

With all the time wasted, the Square payroll is probably one of the worst software we've used. The interface is clean and nice and easy to use, but it stops there. Don't let it fool you. The rest is a nightmare.

Angie
  • Industry: Consumer Services

A key tool for my business to run successfully!

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Square has taken the scary part out of running a business for me and made it simple and straightforward. I could not run my business without it.

Pros

Payroll and pay contractor features are excellent. The invoicing is very good as well. Those are the two things I use most from Square. But I also like the online booking, team management, and how items and services are highly customizable.
Overall it's all pretty easy to use with a few things that just have a bit of a learning curve.

Cons

I feel like the ability to go from one location to the other on the mobile app could be improved.
Also, I wish Square would integrate with timekeeping apps such as Clockify.
We work per hour but not per shift, the time-keeping abilities in Square seem to be geared more toward retail and restaurant industries.

QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I like the interface for Square and also the pricing was a huge factor for me as a small start-up business.
William
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for 6-12 months

User Friendly Payroll

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

As stated above, it's extremely user friendly. Much easier to setup then competitors I've looked into.

Pros

It's super helpful considering I utilize contractors when needed since my service business is still small. Extremely user friendly. And I love that you can issue payroll via Cash App.

Cons

Don't really have any complaints about Square Payroll.

Gusto and Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Easier to setup, more user friendly interface, and more cost effective for the size of my business.
Tiffany

The Simplicity of Payroll

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

My experience with using Square has been blissful and stressful at first. However, when all things fit perfectly, there were no problems, and the system has and will continue to work well for CSCB.

Pros

All of Square's features work so very well together.. A perfect match!

Cons

No problems to report other than HR learning how to navigate the software.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

Square fitted in perfectly with the Square products that CSCB had been using years prior.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square was designed to assist small businesses to be just as great as bigger businesses. The ease of using Square products speaks volumes.
Atama
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great for Growing Small Business to pay contractors nd employees

Reviewed on 16/02/2021

Over experience is great. Im do not have difficultly using the platform and i so recoment it.

Pros

Easy to set up, easy to use, and great instructions on paying contractors. It was easy to each my office manager to run payroll and allow staff to remotely acess the platform for virtual work days.

Cons

Customer service need to be improved upon. If the company have issues it should be communictaed promptly to users.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Square gave us a multitude of options to fit our needs between paying contractors and switching to W2
Kaylie
Kaylie

Structured and controlled management.

Reviewed on 10/02/2023

Overall it is a very useful and easy to use platform, it helps to speed up administrative processes that should be secure and error free.It streamlines payroll and vacation pay and helps keep compliance under control.The support is fast and responsive.

Pros

It allows to organize all employees in a structured way and to control processes and working hours easily.It allows us to control employee time off, identify and manage sick time off and possible replacements.Includes online payments and tax deductions.Allows you to print checks facilitating payment to contractors.

Cons

I have no negative things to say about this platform.

Jammi
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

square payroll review

Reviewed on 24/11/2023

overall i think square is a great app for payroll

overall i think square is a great app for payroll

Pros

square payroll has one of the best apps with easy to use system

Cons

it is a little pricey for a app compared to other payroll apps

Sherri
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Square Payroll is the only way to go!

Reviewed on 01/08/2023

Been using it for four plus years because it is so simple.

Been using it for four plus years because it is so simple.

Pros

Ease of use, simple to input time and tips for employees. No need to worry about taxes either!

Cons

I feel it has all the features it needs right now

• Industry: Entertainment

Ignores problems and has terrible customer support

Reviewed on 26/10/2023

Terrible. Their customer service agents don't take the time to understand or resolve the problem.

Pros

Running payroll is simple and I could automate the entry of payroll data to avoid mistakes.

Cons

They have screwed up my tax filings every month since switching to Square Payroll. I've reported it to them every time. Now they want me to pay extra to have them amend my filings.

Matthew
  • Industry: Hospitality

Easy to use and great value

Reviewed on 26/01/2023

Pros

It is so easy to use, either on the computer or mobile phoneVery inexpensive compared with Paychex and ADP (both of which I have used in the past)Comprehensive payroll service, I don't need to do anything other than input information

Cons

This does not matter to me, but it does not do the HR items that Paychex and ADP do. If you need a more comprehensive service, one of them might be better. For just payroll, Square is fantastic.

RUN Powered by ADP

cost

Paychex Flex

value for same services
Josie

Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software

Reviewed on 19/09/2016

Square's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

Pros

It's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English.
It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA).
Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me!
Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.

Cons

I wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.

DuWayne
  • Industry: Restaurants

It doesn't get any easier than this!

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Far less time setting up new employees, minimal time spent processing payroll and several hundred dollars a month in savings.

Pros

I love the simplicity of using Square payroll. It is simple to set up and to use. It is also one of the least expensive payroll options out there.

Cons

I wish that it had a simple way of looking up employee's wage history (when raises were given specifically)

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

to save money, simplify the process and to get away from the company we were working with.

simplicity and price
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

This is significantly easier/cheaper than big competitors

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

I joined in the beta testing and have loved it. It definitely helped us cut our administrative costs for payroll.

Pros

I love that I can run payroll in 10 minutes or less and that they file all the necessary paperwork. The cost is based per employee, which works for my business model. They have a new app for folks on the go, too. I've downloaded that, but not used it yet.

Cons

Editing timecards isn't too bad, however, you have to wait until the employee is clocked out to make the edit and it can be easy to get busy and forget. But sometimes the system doesn't let me add a timecard from scratch. The employee doesn't drop down in the menu so I have to go add the hours to an existing timecard. This isn't a big deal if you're not carefully monitoring costs, etc.

Also, my employees go back and forth between locations, so if they start at location 1 to pick supplies up and clock in there, they're clocked in at that location for the whole shift. I wish there was an option to select which location they're working at.

Danielle

Simple and easy to use, great value for the cost!

Reviewed on 07/12/2017

Pros

Square payroll is very simple to use and gets payroll done quickly. Our employees clock in through our Square POS so when it's time to do payroll, all I have to do is upload their timecards, enter their tips or sick leave and it's done. I've used other payroll systems that are not as simple or user intuitive and I really can't believe how much time I've wasted. I love having all of my sales information and employee information in one place. It makes it easier to compare your sales VS labor and budget accordingly. I would definitely recommend it!

Cons

Customer service could be improved, mainly with wait times and resolution of issues. Usually I have to re-tell my problem to multiple customer service reps before they pass it along to someone else who will then get back to me the next day. Relaying information regarding changes employees make to their profiles, like W-4s could also be improved. It would be nice to have a separate column to enter Sick Leave VS PTO when doing payroll.

Keenan

I LOVE Square payroll! No more worrying about compliance issues!

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

My overall experience has been awesome! Great support, fair price, easy to use and it's integrated into all of my other systems. During the pandemic, Square made it extremely easy to file for PPP loans because they had all of my financial info already.

Pros

I love that Square Payroll tracks all of my employee time, can be used from any device and best of all, they file all required regulatory paperwork for me so I don't have to. Huge fan, I use it for 2 companies I own currently.

Cons

I can't think of anything I haven't liked so far...

Mary
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Phenomenal!

Reviewed on 04/12/2017

The benefits, saves you alot of time, money, and customer support are there when you need them, if you need them, SQUARE dashboard is so friendly user that there is no way you will need customer support.

Pros

I am the owner of a small business and just recently hired a Contractor. I was so excited to find out that Square had this feature for Direct Deposit to pay the Contractor not only that but they also take care of the 1099 form as well. I have been using Square to take payments over the phone, through the Virtual Payment and my sales have increase, I love the features about sending an email to request payments and reminders, the Dashboard is so friendly user that I am able to navigate anywhere with no issues, no questions, no doubts. I love the people behind it for making this process way to easy for people like me that hate complications. Thank you, Square. No one competes with you. I love you!

Tiffany

Payroll or bust!

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

Square Payroll is amazing as they file my quarterly payroll taxes for me. It is very easy to log on to squareup.com and check my analytics for payroll immediately. Very user friendly! Highly recommend.

Pros

Let's face it. As a business owner, we need to have payroll. Forget writing hours on paper (and searching for it later)... Square payroll is easy to read, reports your labor cost right there for you, shows employee break times, etc. I couldn't live without it!

Cons

Quite honestly, I've used it for two and a half years, and I have nothing to complain about!

Cynthia

ease to use, all in one, responsive

Reviewed on 21/12/2017

Pros

Most of my small business POS and payroll tasks can be handled with this one system.
There is a lot of flexibility to match the system to my business specific categories, product lines, items and variations.

Cons

Lack of automating conversion of information from this to quickbooks. Returns/exchanges
Library organization limitations - you put what is a priority to you at the top instead of what is a proirity to me.
Square Gift cards are too expensive to use.

roger
  • Industry: Automotive

Great for paying employees and keeping track of time and activities.

Reviewed on 07/07/2022

It's been essential to the operation of my business!

It's been essential to the operation of my business!

Pros

My technicians can clock in and out. Type stories. And I can easily keep track of money they are owed and taxes and things like that.

Cons

Nothing I could change about the software. It's been around long enough that they have practically perfected its use.

Harold
  • Industry: Legal Services

Enjoying All the Benefits of Having a Reliable Payroll System, without the Headache

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Pros

Square payroll makes such a complicated and time consuming task or managing payroll a simple task .

Cons

Square Payroll actively build and design their software to be better on a quarterly basis. If something was missing, shortly later, they would have integrated it into their software. I have most of the features I need for my employees, i.e. commissions, PTO, Tips, etc.

Sarah
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

So easy for one location

Reviewed on 23/05/2021

Pros

Square Payroll is so simple to use, it takes minutes to complete payroll now. If you have one location I highly recommend it.

Cons

You cannot pull different location’s payroll from different bank accounts, square only allows one bank account for payroll.

Cameron

Gets rid of the headache

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

It was a lifesaver when we first implemented it. I was struggling to do payroll by myself. I'm not a details person and the software took care of all of it for me. It was perfect!

Pros

The payroll services makes things easy and removes the headache and compliance worries.

Cons

Haven't found any issues that are troublesome. It's working great for us.

Holly
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Square Payroll make it easy for employers!

Reviewed on 07/04/2022

Square makes it easy to run payroll and file taxes!

Square makes it easy to run payroll and file taxes!

Pros

The fact that the taxes are filed is a huge relief for an employer, square stays on top of tax rate changes and notifies you if there are any tax rate changes being made for state or federal taxes.

Cons

I really don't have any cons, it's easy to use and meets my business payroll needs.