ConvertKit Reviews

ConvertKit

Email marketing for online creators

4.8/5 (78 reviews)
Mia B.

Convertkit is my email service provider. Here's why...

Reviewed on 08/02/2019

Pros

Like most brand new online entrepreneurs I started off with Mailchimp which is free. As I grew my list and my marketing techniques I needed something more robust with more options to segment out my list (not really done with the free platforms). I now have so many sequences and segments that are completely automated and my list has been actively growing. ConvertKit is "customer-based" instead of "list-based" meaning that I can send emails out to specific people who have taken specific actions rather than emailing an entire list of people reglardless of their actions and losing subscribers by sending irrelevant emails to the wrong people. Each subscriber is tagged based on a link they clicked, a form they subscribed through (freebie), a purchase they made from me, and SO much more. I even have tags set up when I'm running a webinar to see who watched the whole thing, who didn't show up at all, and who watched the replay. There are just so many options.

Cons

This is not an intuitive software initially- especially if you're coming from a list-based provider like Mailchimp. There will be mistakes and there will be a learning curve. But that comes along with running a business. Luckily, the chat and email customer service is generally pretty active and helpful. I've used them a lot.

Great Option for the Solopreneur

Reviewed on 19/04/2019

I use this service for a relatively small email list I just started, and it works really well for the price. I use the optin forms and email sequences to gain more email subscribers on a regular basis. I also love that I can create really simple and easy to design automation flows between opt-ins and my general email newsletter. This is something I use on a daily basis.

Pros

I recently switched over to ConvertKit from another service after reading positive reviews. I like their format for sending emails to subscribers so much more than any other platform I've used. The emails are really modern looking and simple, so they're appealing to my audience when I send them. I also like that I can simply reuse my last email and make changes to just the content. It makes sending a weekly email really simple.

Another huge benefit to me is that I can segment my subscribers into different groups that allows me to send targeted emails in a more efficient fashion. I also track users who have purchased a product so I don't send them emails about the product they've bought.

This software is an all in one, which I really like. Meaning, I am able to create an optin form, email sequence and product download all in one with this software. I love that it keeps everything really organized in this fashion.

Cons

Some of the ways to organize subscribers are a little confusing to a newbie. You can sort them into segments as well as mark users with tags. I wish it were more clear what each one did at first glance.

I also wish there were more options to design the optin forms. They are pretty basic and there isn't a lot of room for creativity, but they are still functional.

Stephanie D.

Life Saver

Reviewed on 07/09/2018

Due to the ease of ConvertKit I email way more. I am not getting fancy yet with sequences, but in a matter of using it only for 2 weeks, the way the software is set up, I am begging to formulate big picture sequences, strategize campaigns and IN TRUTH, I was never able to look at my health coaching service and online webinars like this because my background is education. As a educator we don't think like this because our students just come to us, the stress of "getting clients" was so large and overwhelming until I found something like convert kit to make me BE more present and visible online. I AM SO GRATEFUL!

Pros

As a person with little to no tech background, truth, I was quite intimidated by this software. HOWEVER, what I love about it, is its dedication to quick videos that give you instant feedback and education to navigate and understand what you are doing. There are tutorials everywhere, in truth you never feel lost or alone or not supported. It is more about (as a new entrepreneur) it is more abut catching up with the scope of what you want to do with it. I initially used it to organize and gather emails and do live broadcast, but together with Leadpages these two have been my go to towards launching my first webinar only using emails in my direct network and slotting 8 out of 10 seats for my webinar. I really was lost in terms of how to manage all these emails and in truth they manage themselves. I What I love the most is how it auto tags/sorts the emails so I can see who responds to what funnel and make me a better and more strategic entrepreneur.

Cons

Nothing yet, I am more impatient with myself because I wish I could understand its full scope fast.

Brian K.

ConvertKit had helped me greatly to streamline and simplify my email marketing processes.

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 01/07/2018

Time saver and great use of use.

Pros

Ease of use and easy UI/UX experience in using the software. The user interfaces are way better than other email marketing software on the market. It has enough basic features and a few powerful features such as tagging certain opt-in groups of users for niche marketing purposes, which I find it very useful. There are less clutter when it comes to feature layout on the interfaces, so one can focus better on using key or common key features.

A nifty feature which I liked most is the Visual Automations, that Convertkit had come up with. It's a graphical way to set automation. It uses three types of items: Actions, Events, and Conditions. It's all visual and one can easily define these items.

Moreover, ConvertKit has just introduced new features into its software such as enabling one to create custom consent checkboxes, find your EU subscribers and get consent from existing subscribers. Also, four new legal forms and support processes were introduced as tools to help one get one's own business compliant with GDPR.

Cons

Personally, I would like more visual stuff or graphical interfaces that I can interact with such as drag and drop functions. At this point of this review, ConvertKit had plans to revamp the software to become more powerful and there is a new branding makeover for ConvertKit.

For the monthly price for the 1st 1000 subscribers for new customers, I do find the price is expensive. But one has the option to go for yearly subscription in order to get bulk discounts in the long run. Thus, one has to consider different pricing options that ConvertKit offers before committing to a paid account. One can try out a free one month trial via its free webinars though.

ConvertKit = Powerful Features I Need + Simplicity I Love.

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Pros

Many bloggers are overwhelmed by the technical aspects of setting up a successful email newsletter strategy.

Yup, there are a variety of email platforms out there and I have managed large lists on many of them. For my Email on Autopilot system, I strongly recommend ConvertKit.

I can tell you from a lot of firsthand experience that “putting your email on autopilot” is WAY easier with ConvertKit than anything else I’ve tried.

ConvertKit was specifically built with bloggers and small businesses in mind, unlike other platforms that either don’t have the right tools or complicate things waaaayyy too much.

I recommend ConvertKit because it has the perfect combination of the powerful features that I need and the simplicity-of-use that I love.

Cons

I wish I had a little more flexibility in creating RSS-driven emails.

Sanna S.

Love love love!!

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

Super easy to use!

Pros

I've been using Convertkit for a few years now and just couldn't be happier!! The software is highly flexible to automate my email delivery to a level that makes my new client intake so easy and effortless. Readers still believe I am writing to them personally... ;-) Some think it's spooky how "I just read their minds"... heh...

Cons

The only thing that could be improved but which would be nice to fix is that if I title the email Dear "subscriber", the email itself shows the subscriber's first name but the preview option of the email shows <subscriber's first name>... Kind a looses credibility in these cases. But I came round this problem by not addressing readers by their first name...

Sabih J.

Perfect email marketing tool for beginners

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

ConvertKit is perfect for small businesses, bloggers, and affiliate marketers. You can do pretty much anything with ConvertKit in terms of email automation, list building, and more. If you can afford it, go for it.

Pros

I used ConvertKit for less than a year and the experience had been awesome. I switched to ConvertKit from MailChimp. Though ConvertKit isn't as feature-rich as MailChimp but it is a perfect email automation software for anyone who is looking to take control of the email marketing.

There are quite a few things that I liked about ConvertKit.

1. Extremely easy-to-use. Compared to other email marketing tools that I have used, ConvertKit is one of the easiest to use.
2. If you haven't worked with email, autoresponders, campaigns, rules, etc. ConvertKit is your best bet because it offers you with every feature that you need as a beginner.
3. You can integrate ConvertKit with several third-party tools which is great.
4. It offers you with smart ways to monetize your list.

Cons

Here are a few things that ConvertKit lacks.

1. It is expensive as compared to most of the other marketing tools in the market.
2. Their form needs more work. It is too basic with limited features.
3. Lack of landing page builder is another downside. You will need a separate landing page builder tool that will cost you money.

Judyann L.

A service that can grow with my business

Reviewed on 27/07/2019

ConvertKit has excellent support and guidance. It is interesting to receive regular emails from them with suggestions, recommendations and guidance for building my email business successfully. There are workshops for the same purposes.

There is a two week trial. People wanting to test the program should be prepared with a plan and some content before signing up. It is amazing how fast two weeks can go. I did a two week trial, but didn't sign up right away. The second go-round, I was committed and followed through. I felt there were more features available to me after commitment even though I had two weeks for trial again. My feeling after the first trial was not really enthusiastic

Pros

ConvertKit came highly recommended from people whom I respect, including the people at Copyblogger. The forms are simple, but attractive.

Cons

There is a small learning curve that feels a lot longer!

Allison B.

Decent Email Subscription Manager, But Not Right for Everyone

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 02/01/2019

ConvertKit is easy to use, and I appreciate the fast customer service response. Ultimately, however, most people would be better off using a cheaper, more minimalistic tool or a more expensive all-in-one CRM/email tool. ConvertKit is great for a very select audience, who find themselves in the middle.

Pros

ConvertKit has a lot of functionality for the price tag in terms of automation. It is kind of a step between free, minimalist tools like MailChimp and really robust tools like Ontraport.

Cons

I struggle with the pricing. Simply put, most people who want to automate their email campaigns will likely get more value from a tool like Ontraport or Infusionsoft, which also integrate with payment systems and have more CRM functionality. Other smaller businesses and bloggers are typically better served by less expensive tools such as Mailchimp, which don't have all the bells and whistles of ConvertKit, but which get the job done. So, although I do think it is a good value for the price... I'm not sure who actually NEEDS this mid-point tool.

7.0/10

Liked it from the start, pricing could be restructured

Reviewed on 02/10/2018

I moved to ConverKit from aWeber and I also tested a few others. ConverKit wins, mostly because of good user experience solutions.

Pros

Convertkit is easy to use and has the features other autoresponders lacked or failed to implement them properly. You can tag subscribers here and send emails based on different conditions which will automatically apply.

The other great benefit is that you don't pay for subscribers/emails that stopped opening emails and basically are "ghosts", and you don't pay for those that are unsubscribed but remained in database.

Third good thing is that they are constantly working on implementing small new things or improving the tool by adding features, while competition does not change much in their solutions.

Cons

I would like the pricing to be structured differently. Just a 10% lower would make big difference when comparing to competition. Then it would be 'more for the same price'. They offer discounted yearly subscription so that's something. If your list doesn't earn you much it won't pay for costly membership.

Candace C.

My favorite email software

Reviewed on 13/07/2019

I use Convertkit to create forms to capture emails, email my list, and automate sequences in my business. I love that convertkit integrates with so many other tools for my business, such as leadpages and acuity.

Pros

Convertkit is so powerful that I am still learning its capabilities three years later. I can easily manage and grow my email list, and segmenting my audience makes it easier to send the right emails to the right people.

Cons

There can be a steep learning curve. However, help is somewhat useful.

Great features at a great price

Reviewed on 05/06/2018

Convertkit compiles all my email addresses for various interests. I don't know how I'd do this without an email service provider software. It helps me organize my email lists so I don't email out information to the wrong people/list.

Pros

Pricing is key with email service providers. I like how convertkit charges based on the number of subscribers you have. Also, they have the ability to get very granular and automated with your marketing campaigns using tags, forms, sequences, and automation.

Cons

Most email service provider software takes a while to learn. Learning how use convertkit took me longer than I'd like to admit, and I'm still learning how I can use it for my needs. They have training and there are consultants available, I just wish it would be a little easier to learn.

Love it

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

An affordable full-feature email hosting company with super-responsive customer service.

Pros

Great deliverability, great customer service, has all the features I want.

Cons

The automation rules section is a bit clunky, but there have been steady improvements.

Louise B.

Always recommending this to my clients!

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

I always recommend Convertkit to members of my community, so its a positive experience from me.

Pros

This is such great software for emailmarketing - I can create email sequences, challenges, tag my sign-ups on different categories, see who has opened my emails and so much more.

Cons

Very little! I think the landing pages feature could do with some improvement.

Rohit L.

Simple Yet Powerful EMail Marketing Software

Reviewed on 25/08/2018

Pros

I have used Mailchimp, Aweber and Sendy before moving to Convertkit. The deliverability is most awesome thing about Convertkit. Having an option to setup custom domain (for sending) which they do on your behalf makes it standout. For a marketer, deliverability is the most important thing and they offer it.

Customer Support is superb. I had few issues while on-boarding like importing and setting up which they resolved quickly.

Feature-wise they recently implemented workflows and other fancy features but I was and I am happy with their offerings. Straightforward, simple and does what it says.

Cons

It's quite expensive compared to any other similar services.
Nothing much. I do simple text based broadcast, auto-respond on purchase and lead followups which do not require WYSISYG email editor. So, I am happy with it.

Craig R.

An exceptional email marketing platform!

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

In the short time I have been using converkit I have already seen growth in my mailing list. I have also found that the ease of creating automations has helped save me time!

Pros

Convertkit has incredible customer service, a unique easy to understand interface (the visual builder) and is very good value for money!

Cons

During my short time or using the product I have yet to find a negative element.

Jacob W.

Great overall ESP

Reviewed on 22/01/2019

Very good overall - i am very happy with Convertkit took away 1 point for difficulty using the program (as i noted above) but otherwise its excellent

Pros

The delieverability is excellent - i have used many ESPs and I would say Convertkit has best open and click rates even better than Mailchimp which costs about twice as much

Cons

This is a hard to use platform, many features which other ESPs include as basic options, Convertkit does not include. A developer told me that Convertkit cuts down to ensure better deliverability, but I do not know IT stuff. Just be prepared to hire a developer to help you setup the basics and if you do that Converkit is a great ESP to use.

Warren S.

A Quality Mailing List Service Offering

Used Monthly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 31/08/2019

I have a client who moved through several mailing lists platforms before landing with ConvertKit and she's stuck with them ever since. We use the platform for blog subscriptions, online courses, and other special email series. It works well, it's easy to navigate, and easy to implement on web pages. It also integrates with many other online services (we recently connected it to Teachable).

Pros

I like how ConvertKit separates the different functions of the platform - Subscribers, Automations, Landing Pages/Forms, Sequences, Broadcasts. This makes it easier to create these pieces independent of each other and connect them with the processes you need them for. The interface is clean and visual. I like the way the email sequences work.

Cons

I don't like how ConvertKit handles subscribers. The platform provides plenty of data on what the subscribers has been exposed to within your processes, but not a lot of data about the subscriber herself. It would be nice to be able to edit or delete subscriber activities without having to delete the subscriber's profile.

7.0/10
Thanh t N.

A powerful email marketing service provider with affordable pricing options

Reviewed on 21/06/2018

Pros

Simple and powerful automation and multiple forms per list.
Easily delivers multiple opt-in incentives. This is a big step forward compared with MailChimp's feature.
Automatically process duplicate subscribers.

Cons

ConvertKit does not have a free plan like MailChimp does.
Limited design and landing page system.

Jeff S.

Best Marketing Software after testing many others

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Pros

It is clear what is going on, which is rare in email marketing software. The best part is the email sequence page that allows you to edit all of the emails from the same spot without having to load and click around to view other emails.

Cons

One time it deleted an email I wrote. This happened because I had the same page open in two windows and I deleted an email, but it chose the wrong one to delete. Just work in one window and you will be fine.

Aleia W.

Great investment for online biz owners

Reviewed on 11/06/2018

I am able to connect with my audience and generate sales.

Pros

I love the ability to edit the HTML & CSS directly from the editor, a la WordPress. You can easily make an email as simple or as complex as you want using this tool. And the tagging and automation features are clutch.

Cons

I wish there was a more introductory pricing level. It's the tool I think clients should use, however it's more difficult of an investment when there's no immediate ROI

Jacob S.

Converkit is the best email software out there.

Reviewed on 06/02/2019

I really like using Convertkit even with the limitations. It's UI is so good that I've continued to use it even with other more robust tools available.

Pros

I love the interface and how easy it is to create great sequences. The customer support and guides are incredibly useful and add value beyond the product itself. Convertkit is a joy to work with on a daily basis and it makes other email software feel clunky in comparison.

Cons

Convertkit does a few things incredibly well at the expense of several features. It doesn't give URL tracking and tagging like other CRM Autoresponders do and this would be a great feature.

Kari C.

Great for managing my subscribers!

Reviewed on 27/06/2018

Pros

I love that Converkit allows me to tag my subscribers and segment my list as much as a want. It allows me to easily tag subscribers that click on links in my emails. It allows me to tag however I want. I can send an email with questions and depending on what answer my subscribers click I can have them tagged and segmented to another email series etc. There is so much that can be automated and controlled with Convertkit. If you're using an email system that doesn't allow you to segment, tag, and automate then Convertkit will be a game changer for you.

Cons

There is a learning curve but their customer support is awesome and they will chat or get on the phone with you if you have any questions. They also have a HELP section and some video training.

Muhammad S.

ConvertKit | Email Marketing

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

I was using some famous email marketing tools but after using ConvertKit, I'm really in love with it. Love you guys for such a perfect solution.

Pros

- Best in price
- Easy to use
- Perfect email marketing tool

Cons

- Nothing
- Its really perfect
- I love it

Carlos adrián V.

is the easiest to use mailing software

Reviewed on 16/01/2018

Pros

after using different software I got to convertkit and solve all my problems, its interface and the ease to create different campaigns has been fabulous, its integration with shopify is native, that made my job really easy

Cons

I would like you to have an assistant for the creation of snippets for the post editor, although that is not limiting to use HTML code in the editor