SpamTitan

Anti-spam filter for business email. Vital email security.

4.5/5
4.4/5
4.4/5
4.5/5

Nabila B.
  • Industry: Investment Management

Combating spam email with SpamTitan is very effective

Reviewed on 17/05/2021

Utilizing SpamTitan as the primary spam-fighting app has proven to be very successful, and it has provided me with more benefits than other more well-known brands. I am very pleased with the price and consider it to be very useful for the price I paid. Whenever I thought about email security, the first thing that comes to mind is SpamTitan.

Pros

SpamTitan has a high level of consistency when it comes to preventing spam and malicious communications from reaching my primary inbox. Setting up the specific keyword that I want to be used in the blacklist keyword and the whitelist keyword is quite easy. After setting it up, the procedure is streamlined, and I would not have to keep track of it because it would send me a weekly report.

Cons

There have been times that a legitimate email has been blocked and no message has been received to inform me about this practice, resulting in the email remaining in the junk inbox until I manually search and whitelist it. For the first time, adding a domain to the app can be daunting, and I had to seek assistance.

Alex N.

Excellent Cloud based Spam filter for Office 365 Email

Reviewed on 08/07/2021

It has been pleasant doing business with SpamTitan. There sales team was low pressure, when I inquired with them they got back to me right away, they provided a live demo of the product, and they offered a free commitment free trial period so that we were able to directly compare it to our old spam filter solution before making a purchase.

Pros

Price is extremely reasonable for the service they provide. The competition has slightly more features but they offer them at 3 - 5 times the cost per user, which is in no way justifiable for the benefit (if any). Very easy to setup and offers great flexibility in how emails are filtered for different users.

Cons

One feature that is currently missing that our previous spam filter solution had was the ability to whitelist and blacklist email address and domains directly from the mail history report.

Barracuda Email Security Gateway

Reasons for Choosing SpamTitan

Our Barracuda was a physical email filter from when we hosted email on our own server. It was aging out and SpamTitan offered a spam solution that was a fraction of the price of Barracuda's own cloud service.

Reasons for Switching to SpamTitan

Price was the biggest factor. SpamTitan offered the best per user rate for a product that meets our needs.
Matthew H.
  • Industry: Farming
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

SpamTitan a robust scalable and affordable solution to email filtering

Reviewed on 27/04/2022

There have been fewer false positives and exceptions are much easier to manage within the platform. The business has been able to keep out unwanted emails and handle false positives much quicker than with the competitor's products.

Pros

They take a multi-tier approach to filtering email that keeps unwanted emails out.

Cons

They provide many ways for users to manage their quarantine, allow lists, and blocklists but it could benefit from a more robust outlook plugin that makes it even simpler.

Darktrace

Reasons for Choosing SpamTitan

The service is in the cloud increasing our availability. Integrated well with exchange online and on-prem. It allows users to have better control of their spam than competitors' offerings.

Reasons for Switching to SpamTitan

Functionality was the same or better and the price was better.
Timothy E.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

SpamTitan works great -- until it doesn't

Reviewed on 02/10/2021

I am spending 30 minutes writing a review in the hope that other people will make a better first selection than we did. Our experience showed us that the product is only marginally reliable and their support is god-awful.

Pros

Was easy to implement and, as the title said, it worked great until it did not.

Cons

This is a cloud-based product. In early August, the product totally failed. (it was a Friday morning in the US, but dont remember the date as we have moved on to an)other product). Just noticed that we were no longer receiving emails. Rerouted DNS to cut SpamTitan out of the loop and email (unfiltered) started flowing. Contacted Spam Titan and they confirmed that the cloud instance on which we were running was offline for unknown reasons.
Our business is 24x7. We ran without Spam Titan on Friday, and Saturday, and Sunday, and Monday. We called for updates, on Friday afternoon, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday. Each time, there were no updates and were told that we would updated by email and by phone if we left our best contact number.
Well, that never happened. Interestingly, we were not offered to route through any other web-instances.
By late Tuesday, we had already vetted another product and moved our production platform to the new provider.
Their support SUCKS. Moreover, I am going through the same goat-ropin' with trying to cancel my subscription. If you call them and make the appropriate selection, you always go to voice-mail (again, no callbacks). If you select "technical support", they have to connect you with Customer Service (one time out of two tries, I got a live CS person and they told me that they would have to connect me with "retention". Again, no one was available but was promised that someone would call me back -- never happened.

James K.
  • Industry: Printing

FIrst Line of Defense

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

Extremely positive experience overall. We are not a big company or a big customer. But every need has been met quickly and professionally.

Pros

This solution is largely transparent to our operation. We were able to "bolt on" to our existing infrastructure without significant modification. From that point it's all fine-tuning and education for users.

Cons

Our greatest challenge/disappointment has been with some edge cases - spam that scores low and/or legit business partners that score high. The mechanism for defining block/allow using header attributes has given some difficulty. And for some reason the end-user option of selecting a message in the daily report and clicking "Allow" or "Block" is not always successful. Needs some refinement, imho.

Syazwani I.

Protect my emails from vulnerable

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

Using SpamTitan as my main software to fight spam emails is very effective and more benefit i have seen better then other more popular brand. I am very happy with the pricing and really valuable with what i has paid. When I think about email protection, it is always SpamTitan that pop-up in my mind.

Pros

SpamTitan has a very good accuracy in filtering a spam and malicious emails from entering my primary inbox. It is very easy to set up my own keyword that i want to include in the filter keyword and setting up the whitelist keyword. After setting everything up, the process is automated and i don't have to constantly monitoring it as it will sent me report for every-week activity.

Cons

There are time that a legit email will be blocked and there are no notification sent to remind me about this activity, and resulting that email stayed in the spam inbox until i have to manually check and whitelist it. Adding domain into the software for the first time can be confusing and i had to ask for a support to fix it.

Matthew W.
  • Industry: Machinery

Many many years of use

Reviewed on 10/12/2021

Pros

Ease of use, once set up, only minor additions/deletions needed

Cons

Does not allow all attachments to be viewable in the console before release.

Karl rodrigue C.
  • Industry: Entertainment

very good anti spam software

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

the software does the job of blocking malicious emails and spam and that's what it's asked to do and that's fine

Pros

high-level anti-spam communication software. Very easy to configure the keywords in the blacklist and the whitelist, once set up I receive a report every week. with a very affordable price for a quality service 3 times cheaper than the competition.

Cons

the absence of Microsoft Outlook plugins. sometimes the software blocks legit mails for malicious mails. Everything is not perfect yet, there is still work to do on this subject

Jamshed K.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Over all the product is very good. I an satisfied with SpamTitan spam blocking and link lock

Reviewed on 28/04/2022

Over all the product is very good

Pros

I like SpamTitan spam blocking, easy to deploy and easy to manage and the new feature of link lock

Cons

SpamTitan to improve more on pattern matching as that is not very difficult and not users friendly

Haris A.

Spam Filter

Reviewed on 26/03/2022

My overall experience is good

Pros

It filters malicious spam and puts these emails into the spam folder.

Cons

I like all the features and I don't think so is there any feature that is least like

Tyler W.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Good mail filter, easy for our users to manage.

Reviewed on 05/11/2020

Pros

SpamTitan provided a lot of the functionality of our previous mail filtering service, while keeping costs competitive. It's very simple and easy to use from an end user perspective, and not terribly hard to set up as an Administrator. There are plenty of options for deployments both small and large. On the back end SpamTitan uses a collection of open source software like Spamassasin and ClamAV, bundled together in a pretty web interface they've designed and provide support for. Compared to rolling your own solution, hiring a Linux admin to manage a mail filtering service, this is much more cost effective.

Cons

Support was a little lacking. Their headquarters are in Ireland, so responses take a little longer, and it's a little hard understanding them sometimes, especially over the phone. The audio quality of overseas phone calls is very poor.
The foundation SpamTitan is built on Spamassasin is only so good, it doesn't catch spam and viruses like the leading mail providers (Gmail/Google Apps). For that reason, it may require a little more time for administrators to fine tune settings.

Ágoston D.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Versatile spam/av filter for reasonable price

Reviewed on 17/08/2019

It is great. Good software for a modest price tag: not too expensive but not too cheap so they are able to cover support and pay support engineers with qualities. It works as expected.

Pros

The ease of setup, the integration of Bitdefender sandbox, the punctuality of the spamfilter - after training -, the user quarantine, price tag, fast and quality(!) support. The quality of the checks and inclusion of bitdefender is a big extra. And I have to mention the support again: once we ran into a problem updating the software at a customer the speed of response and willing to help and solve the issue for us analyzing the system, etc was great ( The problem caused by our fault as we gave too few resources to the VM because we waited for more RAM to the virtual hosts and didn't upgrade the settings when we had enough resources again to run all workloads.) Support was willing to recover the system to be fully functional with a remote help.

Cons

Looking for logs about a specific message could be easier. While it's great and usable for an experienced admin this is a bit tedious for Level 1 support guys. However, there's a detailed description/howto page which covers all the details (https://helpdesk.spamtitan.com/support/solutions/articles/175885-using-history). I just mean that could be easier to follow a message and look for all occurrences in the logs.

Vade Secure

Reasons for Choosing SpamTitan

Performance, punctuality, user interface and features.

Price/features value.
Mike S.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Antispam that is affordable, flexible and powerful

Reviewed on 12/04/2019

Overall, we are very happy with the product and the customer support.

We did have to put some time into this product but now we have a custom-fit solution, with fault-tolerance (two servers at two locations, both locations have both internet and private WAN access to the Exchange server) and we're saving thousands of dollars versus the managed solution we used to use.

We can tighten things up if we wish, we have a lot of flexibility with this product. I rate it an excellent value. So much power, flexibility and fault-tolerance, for so little money.

Pros

We opted for an on-site appliance (a Linux server really, a VM in our case, but it's just a web-based console as far as configuration goes). Their cloud version is the same product running on their servers and that would relieve you of the work we put in, as I'll describe, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

The on-prem version is what we like the most about this "software." We have another VM running at an alternate site, they sync with each other and one can take over if the other is down or unreachable. They also can load-balance.

Yes this solution is a little more complex than are previous solution. But it's in the complexity that you get the flexibility. SpamTitan support has helped us tweak the settings based on what we're seeing in the console. Excellent history report shows everything, or you can filter very easily. Unfiltered you can see blocked (and why), quarantined, accepted...everything. If you don't see it, that email did not get to you, and in our experience it has been a Sender issue every time.

SpamTitan, with the clustered configuration is less that half the cost of our old solution and we never have to upgrade or replace the "appliance" because it's just a VM, or one of our physical servers, either way, you never face an End of Life "you must upgrade" mandate from SpamTitan.

Also - these servers will spool email until they can reach the email server. So if your email server is down or unreachable, you most likely are still getting email.

Cons

Well...it does require us to do some of the lifting and I have discovered there was a lot I didn't know about fighting spam. I turned on one block setting and started blocking emails I didn't want to block, okay...turn that off!

We had warned all of our employees that we were switching products and to be on the lookout for spam and/or missing emails. Most reports were false, but in some cases there was a problem with the settings and this helped us to tweak the product. Also be aware that you need to use a trusted IP address or your emails may end up in the recipient's spam folder. We just used the IP from our old solution once we ran into this issue.

There are certainly other examples, things not working right because we didn't set it up just right (we tend to do things on our own, we learn more that way). Every time we've gotten stuck I have gone to the website and checked their knowledge base. If I didn't find the answer I create a ticket. If you give them a console-generated code they can get into your system and look at your settings.

After a month or two I think we have the settings where we want them. However, we keep an eye on the history report, watching for any signs of trouble. The product worked well right out of the box, but now it's really doing a good job, without blocking good emails (yes, some bad emails get through, but it's at least as good as our old expensive managed solution).

Tristan S.

Setup was very straight forward

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

Once we got through the growing pains we don't have to field many helpdesk tickets from users getting use to this software coming from our previous spam filter. The other big benefit is that our previous spam filter service provider was about to double our yearly rate so your software ended up having a better spam detection rate and was also less expensive.

Pros

Easy to setup and maintain. The detection rate is fabulous. When we initially setup the software we were getting tons of false-positives but this subsided after several weeks of use after which time I assume the system started to pickup on the types of emails that we consider legit.

Cons

It would be better to have a more well rounded user portal. For those users with many false-positives in an email notice it would be good to have a way to release the emails without opening a web browser tab for each and every email to be released or at least bring the user to the portal login page so they can easily manage many releases if this is not possible through the email client. Not a big deal but it is a little annoying personally for me.

I believe in the beginning I was told that there was no user portal to then later find out that there was one. Not sure where the disconnect was but this feature ended up being quite crucial for the owner of the company I work for as he was used to working in the portal of our previous product (Barracuda).

The other problem that was noticed earlier on is that the daily summary emails would have these crazy ambiguous email addresses in them in the "From" field which I was told couldn't be modified. The owner of the company was very confused by this as the Barracuda would show us both the technical from address as well as what would normally appear in the mail client and would have more meaning to the end user and give them a better idea if the email was spam or not. I suggested at the time to the tech\sales person I was speaking with that this should be changed to at least show both "from" email address' so the end user is armed with more information to make an informed decision about the email being spam or not.

Eric S.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Emails are by the minute .. daily report doesnt cut it

Reviewed on 05/11/2020

It was alright but having good emails blocked and others not blocked was a fine grey line of a product that works or doesnt. Currently we rather have office do it for us as it will send an email same time of something that is blocked and can be release.

Pros

The software was great in terms of user interface and usage.

Cons

The daily report of spam or something with held was to long of a delay. What killed this software for me is when our founder had a false positive email he waiting for (plane ticket) and he didnt get it till next day causing him to buy another ticket at the terminal. Our sales reps would get their reports of potential clients that had their emails blocked by the system the next day which was also very bad for us.

Avanan

Reasons for Choosing SpamTitan

I thought this product would do a better job

Microsoft 365

price
Benjamin J.

SpamTitan has saved me, saved my company time, and has some of the best support people around.

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Just sorting the crap emails automatically that come in saves my company hours in man hours. It's also blocked malicious attachments which is awesome because the weakest part of any security is always the people. This helps with that tremendously

Pros

It's as close to "set it and forget it" as you can come in the IT field. Right out of the box support helped me set everything up in less than 20 minutes, no hardware to worry about, nothing like that. Literally all I have to do is check to see if something was blocked incorrectly once in a while, white list it, and done.

I've been using spam titan for almost a year and in that time we have blocked over 200k spam/malicious emails for a 30 person company before they even hit employee mailboxes. I shut off the service for 48 hours just to make sure it easy legit, it was, and I haven't shut it off again since.

Whitelisting and blacklisting domains and specific emails are super easy.

Support Staff are awesome and go into detail when resolving problems if they were to arise or even if you just have a question. They have always been friendly and curteous and super personable and have been some of the best people to work with in all my years doing IT.

Cons

The only thing I feel is missing is the ability for cloud users to create their own key word filter. Don't get me wrong, the spam filter itself is amazing, just a bit more precise control on my end to mark specific phrases or words as spam would be nice.

Being able to see the email body of messages that come in as SPF fails would be helpful at times as many company's we deal with have auto invoicing that fails SPF.

Other than that no issues!

Jj C.

SpamTitan Cloud Service

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

Very good, we came here after trying two other services for a couple years each. SpamTitan is very useful to us and we re-evaluate providers every so often and continue to stick with them.

Pros

It's hosted offsite, but gives me the ability to modify and tweak anything I want. Customer Service is easy to reach and always helpful. Does a good job with filtering, we rarely have to white list and don't get much spam at all. The best part is that I can forget about it.

Cons

Not a huge con, but I wish there was more notifications around maintenance, slow-downs, outages etc. We've been with this service for years and wouldn't still have it if it caused disruptions, but there were a few hiccups I needed to call it to find out about. That may well be something that is available too, I just am not aware, nor is it a big enough issue for me to waste time looking into.

Jim G.

Spam Titan makes it easy to deploy effective affordable spam protection

Reviewed on 06/11/2020

In my opinion when you work with a smaller company they value their customers more then the large mega companies. With TitanHQ that has turned out to be true thus far. They are willing to go the extra mile for you to help customize and optimize the appliance. All support techs know their job well; you don't have to wait for a script monkey to escalate your case to some one who knows what they are doing, and they have even implement a few of my feature requests.

Pros

-Very easy to set up. Can be done in a few hours.
-Support is hands down the BEST to deal with. I make many support calls in a year and hate dealing with most companies but when I have an issue and have to contact TitanHQ I assume my issues will be resolved quickly the first time I contact them because it usually is.
-Reporting is fantastic

Cons

The interface is a bit clunky it probably could use a GUI refresh
There are a few settings like RBLs that would be nice to be able to be set per each domain but are global.
There are a few common 3rd party commercial RBL's that are not included but make a noticeable difference. Because SpamTitan is so affordable the added cost is not an issue but it would be nice if Titan HQ could license them directly.

• Industry: Automotive

Say byebye to spam!

Reviewed on 02/08/2018

With over 500 mailboxes, spam had become a major problem for users. Not only was it an exposure point for phishing scams, but viruses as well. Along with just wasting resources on my email server and clients computers. Spamtitan has put a stop to most, if not all of the spam related issues my organization had. It is worth every penny.

Pros

It has greatly reduced the amount of spam getting to my users. I hesitate to put a % to it for fear of being low, but I say 90% of the spam that use to get through is captured now. Not only that, but I can easily blacklist or whitelist specific addresses or domains. Something that was a painful process on my previous spamfilter platform. You can also pull metrics and reports to show how much mail has been processed and how much has been caught.

Cons

The setup process can take some time, but their support staff are very helpful and will get you through it. It is worth the setup pains for the filtering it provides though.

Response from TitanHQ

Thank you kindly for your review.
I'm delighted you found SpamTitan support staff helpful, I'll pass on the message.

When you have time don't forget to look at our web security layer, WebTitan, and our email archiving solution, ArcTitan.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us a good review. It's hugely appreciated
Kind regards,

• Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Stop spam email with SpamTitan

Reviewed on 12/02/2021

SpamTitan has help me so much in fighting a spam email and malicious link from harming our system. All the attachment in the email will be scanned before I open it and any suspicious file attachment will be blocked and quarantine, to protect me from mistakenly opening it. I really has a positive experience after deploying this software in my working environment.

Pros

SpamTitan has advance and extra security layers that protecting my email account get penetrated or get attack from spam email. Ransomware is one of the most feared kind of emails that we really want to avoid, and this software effectively blocking any malicious email that may contain file attachment or link that may harm my computer or phone.

Cons

The only point that i dislike is, there are no access to the software from other device except from my computer, as it only operating from stand-alone application for desktop. It will be more flexible if the software has web-browser, so user can access it from anywhere that internet is available.

Dan O.

Great Product and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 07/09/2018

SpamTitan has done an excellent job of clearing out the loads of spam we were getting prior to putting the product in place.

Pros

After going through a fairly simple setup, SpamTitan just works. It does a great job of stopping most spam and has a small number of false positives. It is also pretty easy to set up notifications on any blocked emails to ensure that proper capture is occurring. One side feature that I really like is using the web interface to see what emails have been allowed through. Using that information, when a client calls and tells us they sent an email that we didn't get, I can immediately look on SpamTitan to see if the email reached our servers at all. This allows me to very quickly determine if an email that never reached us was blocked on by our servers or prior to reaching us at all.

Cons

If you change a filter in the web interface to return too many records, the site will sometimes hang.
I have sent in questions for support once or twice, and I do get a reply very quickly that the staff will address my question, but I often never get a response after that.

Syazila R.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

My choice for anti-spam software

Reviewed on 13/08/2021

Pros

SpamTitan is actually really worked, and has really decreasing the amount of spam email that i have receive before. It only need to be setup onetime, and most of the time, i don't even have to monitor the report as they rarely blocking a legitimate email that are sent to my email.

Cons

There are some feature that are not available at the moment on the software, like to preview the content of the spam email, without having to whitelisting the email. It will be a good feature, so user can totally know what is the content of the email that has been blocked from the main inbox.

Jose A.

Great anti-spam filtering solution

Reviewed on 26/12/2017

Anti-spam filtering service and online archiving system. Great for security and cloud migrations.

Pros

There are several advantages of using this software. Apart from being an anti-spam filtering solution, it also serves as a temporary archiving service when you need to take your mail servers down for maintenance. You will never lose an e-mail. Great tool to have if planning an e-mail migration to a cloud provider. No more appliances and almost zero configuration apart from relocating your MX records. Highly recommended.

Cons

The customer support is not that great. It always appears that you are dealing with the same person over a chat or report ticketing system. I am not so sure how many engineers are working in support but I always seem to work with the same person. It is really hard to get a remote session with an engineer, most of the time you only receive ticket replies with instructions to be followed and it feels like trial and error. Nevertheless, the software works perfectly so you rarely need to use support. It is for extremely irregular situations that you would contact support.

Hernaldo O.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Great software for a low cost

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Pros

In our company we have been using Spamtitan for more than 6 years to deliver mail service to our clients. The default configuration can be somewhat permissive, but is extremely flexible so it can be easily optimized.
On the other hand, it allows you to send a summary of spam to end users, who can review filtered emails daily without directly exposing them to malware or viruses

Cons

The cloud version of the service works well but has several configuration limitations that must be maintained by default, so I highly recommend the on-premise version

McAfee Network Security Platform
Howard A.
  • Industry: Media Production

Our Experience Installing and Using Spam Titan

Reviewed on 26/03/2021

The Spam Titan team have been brilliant, all the way through from initial contact to our engagement with support during initial configuration, they bent over backwards to be helpful.

Support engagement is good, with very rapid responses to calls we submitted initially.

Pros

The product was really easy to setup and is intuitive.
It basically does exactly what it is supposed to once setup and we have not experienced any issues with the product other than from our side setting up the various bits of DNS txt correctly :-)
As expected it takes a while to learn our email patterns so initially there were some delays with some inbound emails due to Grey-listing as it waited for resends to recognise good email, this was improved by playing with initial grey list settings.
Overall we are very happy with the product and we have had no complaints from any users, which is always a plus.

Cons

At this point there are no parts of the product that we are unhappy with.

MimeCast Email Security

Reasons for Choosing SpamTitan

Verizon were no longer supporting message labs so we needed to leave quickly

Reasons for Switching to SpamTitan

This was a very straightforward product compared to the complexity of the alternatives and at a fraction of the cost. After an easy and quick proof of concept we were sold :-)