PowToon

Create animated videos and presentations

4.1/5
4.3/5
4.3/5
4.4/5

Rabika

Easy way to create educative videos!

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

Great software to level up our presentation videos easily.

Pros

It’s a big solution for us to create videos with effective tools to make them catchy and engaging. I use it to make short tutorials and friends share academic clips among us through this.

Cons

Can’t use it everywhere and can't edit different types of videos.

Antoinette
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Unethical Company with an easy to use product

Reviewed on 26/10/2022

I keep going back and forth with them.. they keep making unneccessary changes and I am always finding myself on the backfoot. As a south african.. i cant afford to pay dollars to upgrade every time they are on a WHIM to change what we can and CAN NOT have as a PRO user. (they literally are forcing you to get pro plus and not all of us can actually afford that)

Pros

The product is easy to use, and response on queries is quick

Cons

I find this company to have some ETHICS problems. I have a PRO accoutn. And will create a numbe rof vidoes with different elements using my account. TWO MONTHS LATER i will want to edit something / add a translation.. and my vidoes are UNUSEABLE as they have upgraded some of my features for PRO PLUS users only.. almost forcing me to need to UPGRADE in order to use MY OWN vidoes i created 2 months ago. I find this very unethical. Now i cant redo those videos for my clients (who need some translating done) unless i PAY to upgrade. Its like they force you to upgrade to use a video you created 2 months ago.

Bruno

most easy and complete online video creator

Reviewed on 23/09/2022

very practical online software to create fast and animated videos

Pros

it's simplicity and easy to use with a big media library available

Cons

still, the media library is very limited in a variety of themes, and the max video quality is not very high

Camtasia and Canva

Reasons for Switching to PowToon

its less expensive and easy to use software and simple to export videos
Cedric
  • Industry: Banking

Powtoon

Reviewed on 23/10/2022

Pros

Powtoon offers a wide range of features animated music, graphic qualities and people

Cons

Some features are available only for paid version and downloaded file are heavy

Brice
  • Industry: Banking
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Powtoon

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

Pros

An application that allows you to create fun and cool electronic communications and offers a large number of animated models

Cons

And is a bit expensive ..and it is impossible to customize it

Rho

Powtoon was my first video creation software and I keep it in my toolkit

Reviewed on 19/11/2022

I love Powtoon and have been using it for years.

Pros

Powtoon is easy to use and a great value for the money

Cons

The audio clips are often not friendly if you need to make the video longer. I often struggle to duplicate and match the music at the right point if I go over the allotted time.

Shiela May

Powtoon for Fun Presentations

Reviewed on 31/10/2022

Learning to create presentations with Powtoon takes time, but is worth it once you have the final output.

Pros

The animations are great and you can personally customize the templates.

Cons

Not that I really dislike it, but the free version just limits what users can put in their presentations.

Maurice
  • Industry: Music

Animate your message with Powtoon!

Reviewed on 20/11/2022

Powtoon is a good program to create simple animations for guides and online videos.It should be in your arsenal of online tools for social media manager and businesses.

Pros

The ease of use and the end result! You can create very professional looking animations in a short time. I have used them for educational videos and website guides, and they had great results!

Cons

Some features (like more than 5 exports per month) are in a higher pricing range. This is not a huge problem, but something to consider if you want to upload a lot of social media content.Also, custom fonts and character customisation is in a very high pricing tier.

Ann Caroline

Video Creation tool

Reviewed on 30/09/2022

Overall, it has been fine.

Pros

I like the animations, transitions, and how easy it is to use for all people.

Cons

Some of the animations are not that good.

Alain Jove
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Powtoon for Power Cartoon Graphics

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Overall, it is really fun putting crazy ideas to life in this app. The templates save time from creating your own vector graphics and animation, or toying around with other photo or video editing/ creation tools which is very taxing when time is of the essence. The output looks fantastic as it is very smooth and the resolution is really fitting for any setup such as branding of products, personal promotions, and any other creative endeavors.

Pros

This is an outstanding app that I've used and is still using since it has powerful customizable templates for designing cartoon storyline. As opposed to just comic style speech bubble presentation, this brings more life to it than the old school approach. Although it still works, the this new approach works better and provides more life - but most of all, an eye catcher to the social media age of today.

I like this app because it provides a lot of customizable templates for characters, backgrounds, props, images, and other elements. All of them are customizable down to changing the character's gender and outfit, sceneries that change as your storyline progresses, moving objects like cars and buses, including other animated elements like traffic lights and blinking lights. In addition, you have several audio to choose from to fit the storyline, and has several zoom/pan effect for added touch.

Cons

In my opinion, your own imagination is the only thing that hinders you from getting into your end product. If you're stuck, you can always do a Google lookup and find ideas from other Powtoon animations to keep you going with your project. As far as loading times are concerned, there is no lag at all even if the elements already stack up.

Cleo

Not really useful unless you go Pro+

Reviewed on 18/11/2020

It's really easy to quickly create something that's, let's be honest, kind of corny, but for many situations that's fine. The tools are a joy to use and you can add your own artwork so you aren't really that limited. My biggest complaint (as I mentioned above in Cons) is that the tools are corrupted by the upsell items for Pro+. Just don't show me Pro+ features if I've already paid for Pro. Or at least give me a way to turn them off. Find another way to upsell.

Pros

Seriously easy to use. Using a template with its own audio, I was amazed at how smoothly the audio adjusted as you changed slide lengths. The tools are intuitive and things [transitions, modifications, adding/removing time, etc.] that are difficult in a lot of video editing packages are simple. There may be fewer features to tweak but in some ways that what makes it so easy to use. I like that you can add your own graphics - this makes it a powerful base if you want to deviate from the more cutesy look that's provided by default.

Cons

I'm constantly annoyed at the ongoing upsell to Pro+. I'm tricked into being disappointed at every turn. Choices of characters, items, templates, etc are shown but often it's not until you click on them that you discover they are only available to Pro+ plans. In a grid of possible templates, there were 54 Pro+ I couldn't use - I had to scroll over each one to discover they were Pro+. I asked Support if there was a way to hide the features that I couldn't access (turn off all Pro+) but they said no. Paying over $200 for Pro seems like a lot these days and I would be more satisfied with my purchase if I weren't constantly shown all the things I can't get with that money.

Mich
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Powtoons is Amazing

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

I have created dozens of videos for internal comms, advertising, recruiting and training. It has made my life so easy and with great reward and outcome.

Pros

This is a super simple app to create fun and vibrant communications pieces either with cartoons or video.

Cons

I think customer service could be much better. I don't think I've ever gotten ahold of a live person.

Filmora

Reasons for Choosing PowToon

I didn't exactly make a total switch because I still need to edit some video before dropping it in to Powtoons, but the functionality of Powtoons and its ability to drag and drop anything into the video at any time is so cool. And it has a huge database of photos, video, and other tidbits.

Filmora
Randy
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Great Features and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Overall, I am satisfied with this tool. It has some minor issues, but none of those issues are deal breakers for me.

Pros

Easy to Start: It only takes me ~20 min to gain basic proficiency and ~60 min to gain advanced proficiency.
Time-Saving Templates: It has several templates ready to be used, which saves time.
Beautiful built-in assets: Animated avatars, objects, short videos, graphics, audios, etc. Basically anything you could possibly want in a multimedia product--PowToon has it already built-in.
Ease of Future Maintenance/Update: The way Powtoon's interface is designed allows for ease of future edits. You can easily swap in/out vectors/audio/texts if your video ever needs an update in the future.

Cons

Minor Glitch: Sometimes, objects (vectors, geometric shapes) would move to the wrong place by mouse drags. This is more of a minor nuisance than a real problem.
Lack of Audio Editing Feature: It has very little audio-editing capability. Because it has a built-in voice-over recording feature, this feature would be more useful if audio editing ability can be available.

Ayesha

Ultimate Animated Video Maker.

Reviewed on 21/08/2022

This platform is what we consistently implement for animated video material. Even though it has been years, the way it allows us to illustrate a situation or convey a tale is flawless. Only because of this platform did we obtain such positive feedback from our viewers.

Pros

Importing media is simple. The pre-made templates and avatars assist in precisely establishing the context for a decisive result. The interface is simple and ideal for those who are just starting out and wish to make animated material.

Cons

For a large number of projects, the price rises. Aside from the cost issue, I'm pleased with how well everything appears to function.

Patti

Fun and easy to use

Reviewed on 24/01/2017

I am an instructional designer/developer and I use PowToon as part of eLearning courses and to communicate changes to end users. The premade templates make PowToon really easy to use. I find a look I like then modify with my content. Each template has its own music but I may upload my own music and upload images to personalize the video even more.

If I have a question, I can chat directly with the support team (and I have had lots of questions). I had some trouble understanding the timing of objects when I first started. (Hint: where the thumbnail displays on the time line has Nothing to do with the exit time) and was frustrated by the lack of technical information about how the product works. This is because they depend on their support team to help users. Generally this is good but I would like to see Some documentation, even if it were just voiceovers on a PowToon to explain something.

I found using a PowToon to communicate a recent system change to end users resulted in about a 70% view rate instead of a close to 10% read rate for just an email for a previous communication. I host the video on our SharePoint site and provide a link so it's easy to track the views.

I just extended my subscription for another year and look forward to new features, new images, and new templates.

Pros

Easy to use, fun. Produces very professional looking videos.

Cons

It is difficult to select objects and edit if they overlap.
I would like to be able to add tags to the images so I could easily find those I want to use multiple times.
When changing the sizes of objects, both the width and height change proportionately. It would be good to be able to change just one, especially boxes.

Hossamudin
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A great animation cloud-based software, but kinda expensive

Reviewed on 11/05/2022

Excellent.

Pros

The variety of templates is one of the great features. So, I don't have to create a similar video every time; Each video is unique.

Cons

Well, the pricing. It is super high.
Also, faced few issues with the Arabic language during the free trial. Could be fixed by now tho.

Vyond

Reasons for Choosing PowToon

I was still learning animation, so I was trying too many tools like vyond, and animaker.

Animaker

My favorite presentation software

Reviewed on 16/01/2018

We make a lot of marketing videos, and this software makes it very easy to throw together a high-quality presentation very quickly, saving time and money in design work.

Pros

This is my go-to presentation creation software, far better than Power-Point slides. It is clear they are constantly improving their platform with new features and updates appearing regularly in the system, and I've watched over the years how the platform has continued to improve. I've not been able to find anything comparable in price and features on the market.

Cons

Occasionally there is a delay in the uploading of content, likely processing time for information to communicate between servers. Also, I wish there were an improvement on the way to render/download a mp4 file. Currently it renders it on the server and sends an email to download. I wish there were just a simple render/download button available on the program.

Jefry
  • Used for 2+ years

Easy Presentations

Reviewed on 20/06/2019

From my experience with the program I can say that I have not had greater difficulties than to find myself a little disoriented at first, but thanks to its easy use and interactivity, I can learn at once and I can create my video. I would say that I would have difficulty uploading or sharing the video, because there are not enough options or the ones I want are blocked and I must pay. It would be good if the tool would allow you to share those videos over Whatsapp for free.

Pros

It is a simple and easy to use program. The presentations have many details and customization, being a very good point because it allows creating multiple videos and they do not look alike. It offers free and paid tools, also offers different ways to export or publish it; it is good the point and manages to make known the tool and the jobs and that many people can use it, either by paying or for free.

Cons

The program looks very limited at times because they don't have other tools to change the style of their videos with respect to the format, that is, it follows established parameters and does not allow recording videos to be uploaded and edited with the tools already available, but it limits itself to that format already established and in a certain way causes the authors of the videos to be somewhat limited in the subject of creativity.

Binyamin
  • Industry: Farming
  • Used for Free Trial

Expected A Lot But Disappointed

Reviewed on 10/02/2019

If you are somebody who is moderately gifted/skillful in animation or you are committed to the learning curve demanded of Powtoon it is a great, and I could see it as being a really fun, animation marketing platform.

Pros

Using Powtoon a marketer can, at an affordable price, tell the story behind their company and their product in such a way that it comes alive and captivates the viewer. The animation becomes real and pulls the viewer in. It is a well constructed and professional tool. Besides conveying a story in a powerful way, Powtoon also imparts a feeling of professionalism. It shows the viewer that you as a company, as a product creator, cares and takes pride in that which you wish to sell/impart. It sends of message of creativity and above-and-beyond pride in your product.

Cons

Although I will be the first to admit that I am not tech savvy, nevertheless there are many products on the market that are made for people like myself, so much so that people are often amazed at how much tech I'm able to navigate with so little aptitude. However, Powtoon was not one of them. When I first discovered Powtoon I was excited, when I first logged-in to Powtoon I was revved up to start creating. From the get-go it was as if I was trying to climb a very tall and vertical wall. It was more than a bit frustrating, especially given that Powtoon was touted as an easy to use creation platform. If I had been heavily invested in learning to use Powtoon I'm sure I could have, but it clearly was going to take more than a day or two of serious learning. A learning curve I was not interested in pursuing.

Deepika

Great to use

Reviewed on 09/12/2018

Pros

Being a graphic designer, I use this for animated videos & presentations almost everyday. powtoon has so many templates & animation effects which make it very useful to make quick videos. I love this software because it has a clean interface. Colors & design are very user friendly . I would recommend this product to everyone who wants to make animated videos & presentations.

Cons

The hardest part of this product is it sometimes takes way too much time to upload images & add videos to timeline. This is a heavy product, which hangs alot, that makes it very irritating at times.
One thing I want in this product is options to arrange the saved files in folders or as we want because the minus point is when we mistakenly open a file it comes to number one which bothers the order of the files & makes it difficult to keep a check.

Nancy

Did the job - but ended on a very poor note

Reviewed on 05/11/2021

My final experience with them soured me on the product and company and thus I cannot recommend. Pick another animation software where they'll at least respond.

Pros

I needed to find software on short order for a volunteer product I was doing. I was able to learn it pretty quickly and product something to help the organization out. It was fairly easy to learn and I was able to make a decent animated video in a weekend.

Cons

I hadn't used the software for like 6 months and wasn't sure I'd use again, but missed the window to cancel the renewal until it hit my credit card. I contacted the company right away to explain that I used it just for volunteering and ask for a refund. They could check my history to see I hadn't been using. Not only did they not refund me. They ghosted me. I emailed a second and third time, but they never even answered.

As for the product itself, they mixed in elements that were not included on my plan with those that were, requiring me to backtrack in some cases export my video w/o upgrading. Many of the elements were too cartoony for my taste. The export limits were kind of confusing.

Vyond

Reasons for Switching to PowToon

I was in a rush and had to make a quick decision.
  • Industry: Online Media
  • Used for 2+ years

Making presentations fun

Reviewed on 14/10/2018

I used Powtoon for many school presentations where the assignment was to make ad campaigns or short promos. Yes, Powtoon can make a presentation exciting enough to look like a commercial. I LOVE this software. It’s so usable and full of many features. It is handy for so many purposes and will certainly do the trick if you’re not interested in researching clunkier software with a bigger learning curve.

Pros

Having photos and icons that can move and appear on a timer is my favorite thing about Powtoon. This simple feature allows me to make my presentations way more interactive and entertaining. Searching or uploading images is super easy and Powtoon has a great database of basic graphics. Adding music is also incredibly easy to do.

Cons

Powtoon is not the place for detailed voiceovers. There’s really only an option to add one single audio file and when you’re working with many different slides, that can get pretty complicated. The big “Powtoon” logo in the bottom corner of the presentation also totally takes away from a professional look.

ulises

Animated, creative and unique videos to develop your ideas

Reviewed on 28/06/2018

An educator should always be preparing and never stop studying or preparing. That is why whenever I can take a course I do it in this case it was an elearning course and I was presented with this tool and from that moment on every occasion I can use it I develop my videos through it.

Pros

This tool is great since the environment is very friendly which allows us to devote to the development of the video without worrying about technical difficulties, as well as the possibility of inserting characters, templates and emoticons that allow us to draw the attention of the viewer by remembering that from time to time the viewer loses attention is why we have to find that in that moment that loses attention is also part of our explanation.

Cons

This tool has incredible potential to come to shape the ideas in unique and wonderful ways because in addition to having a large repertoire for the help of the video developer has the ability to add all that audiovisual element that we consider the only difficulty is that it is dependent of the Internet and without it you can not work but that reason does not detract from its great potential

Karna

Makes creating just-in-time learning quick and easy

Reviewed on 07/02/2020

We've had a great experience with Powtoon, and have continually opted in to be early adopters for their new features. Their customer service is fantastic, and the chat-bot allows you to have your questions answered quickly.

Pros

It has a very low learning curve. Once you know what you are trying to capture, the software is incredibly intuitive at helping you make your content visually appealing to your end users. They also continually make updates that enhance the creator's experience, including additional templates and new functionality.

Cons

There's not really anything to improve- it meets our needs for providing just-in-time learning content. We are able to customize as much or as little as we want, add sound, add proprietary images, and then download in a format that makes it easy to share.

• Used for Free Trial

Quick and dirty explainer in an afternoon

Reviewed on 01/08/2019

Pros

My assistant was able to make some pretty cool videos very quickly, despite limited technical experience with video creation. The tool presents a variety of diverse characters with stock animations for different moods or actions (e.g., explaining, gesturing angrily, looking bored). The audio recording tool allows you to retry if you're unhappy with a take, and was reasonably painless to use. The animations were simple to string together but more visually interesting than what you can produce in PowerPoint.

We created a lesson plan for instructors to use where the learners responded using PowToon projects, and these were a hit. It gives them an alternative way to communicate their ideas and again, is quite easy to use.

Cons

We were not using the pro version of the tool, so we were limited in access to characters, scenes and icons. That said, the free version provided a very smooth experience. If you do not upgrade, there will be a PowToon logo and music appended to your video, and some animations will have limited customizability (e.g., a character animation may loop ad nauseum).

It is also easy for a junior designer to get caught up in the capabilities of the tool and lose focus on the quality and structure of the content. It's easy to add too much irrelevant on-screen animation and so detract from your message.