Google Data Studio

Write a Review!
Interactive dashboard reporting and data visualization tool

4.7/5
4.3/5
4.1/5
3.7/5

Joseph
Joseph

Agrxis Review on Google Data Studio

Reviewed on 14/05/2023

Using Google Data Studio has been a very great experience for me. It is a strong tool that has helped me produce interactive reports with great visuals using data from many sources. I value how flexible and user-friendly it is, enabling me to tailor the reports to meet my particular requirements. Additionally, it is quite beneficial to be able to work together on the same report. Overall, Google Data Studio has met all of my expectations, and I heartily endorse it to anyone searching for a user-friendly data visualization tool.

Pros

Google Data Studio is a great tool for producing aesthetically beautiful and useful reports, in my opinion. I particularly loved how simple and user-friendly the interface was. To successfully share my thoughts, I was able to quickly connect to a wide range of data sources and design my own dashboards and visualizations. It was also ideal for team work because it allowed for real-time collaboration, which I enjoyed. Overall, Google Data Studio exceeded my expectations and has grown into a crucial component of my toolkit for data research.

Cons

Thus far, my experience with Google Data Studio has been very positive and I have not encountered any issues or concerns

Belal

Love the flexibility

Reviewed on 19/07/2023

I've been using it for over 5 years and have tried other tools however it's always been my go to.

Pros

I love the flexibility that Google Data Studio provides. Most other data visualisation tools are very structured while data Studio is flexible which makes it great for aesthetically designing the dashboard. It allows me to easily create dashboard for my stakeholders as well as small business owners who can become data driven.

Cons

Slow, GA4 connector, paid connectors, there's no good user journey visualisation and now there seems to be some limitations of the number of charts I can add.

Reasons for Choosing Google Data Studio

Qlik Sense was not easy to use while Data Studio was very flexible and easy to use.

Qlik Sense

It's free works better with Google products such as search console and GA4
Andrew

Data Studio Review

Reviewed on 08/02/2021

Overall, my experience with Data Studio has been mixed. The learning curve is definitely steep and it is not the easiest tool in terms of collaboration compared to other options on the market. Importing data can often be a pain and it is sometimes quite difficult to set up connections to refresh data sources, which makes reporting more manual and time-consuming than it should be.

Pros

Data Studio is an extremely powerful tool for reporting and has allowed our team to share out extremely in-depth reports with our clients. It's suite of features is vast and allows our teams to provide highly valued insights into data we previously never had access to. The software is extremely flexible when it comes to customization to fit the needs of our client on a case-by-case basis, which is extremely important since each client has different preferences, nuances, and objectives and Data Studio makes that customization super simple.

Cons

Since Data Studio has so many in-depth reporting features, the software itself can be confusing to adapt to and the learning curve for reporting is quite steep if you have no prior experience. It took our team a long time to learn and adapt the software and collaboration on one report was often difficult, which resulted in one member being delegated to handle reporting responsibilities. It would be nice if the Data Studio was able to incorporate task management and campaign tracking alongside its powerful reporting abilities; I think that would really push Data Studio above the competition from software such as Domo and Tableau.

Domo and Tableau

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

We chose Data Studio for its pricing options and our ability to integrate easily with our client partners.
Lucia

My Experience With Google Data Studio

Reviewed on 27/03/2024

Pros

Has best business intelligence and reporting features
It makes data visualization easy and is affordable too.

Cons

Not specific hurdles that I can mention. Google Data Studio is amazing.

Hany
  • Industry: Higher Education

Easy to use Data Analysis Application

Reviewed on 29/04/2023

Google Looker Studio ( formerly Google Data Studio ) allows my team members to access and create analytical reports and share them with stakeholders and teammates. It helps my team visualize performance reports and run simple ad-hoc analyses. The service enhances our productivity and improves the information workflow internally over the company and externally with our clients.

Pros

Google Looker Studio ( formerly Google Data Studio ) is easy to use and has an intuitive user interface that allows the average user to create and consume reports and dashboards. It integrates seamlessly with google analytics and workspace applications like Sheets, docs, and Google Drive. It facilitates self-service data analysis and business intelligence practices.

Cons

Google Looker Studio ( formerly Google Data Studio ) has a relatively slow performance and limited features regarding data connectors and visualization. Although the paid version has advanced features, it comes at a high cost with more difficulties and barriers to scale.

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

The service suits our small-sized data workflows and is considered one of the easiest-to-use business intelligence applications. It's quick to start and requires minimal training for new users as long as we use it on a limited scale.
Mike

If you want data in Dashboard from all the Google tools and many others then GDS is for you

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Overall, my experience with Google Data Studio has been phenomenal. I'm able to easily manage and visualize all my data in one place. It's incredibly user friendly, and I'm able to customize my dashboards for different projects. The reporting capabilities are really helpful and allow me to quickly access insights that would take much longer with manual methods. Plus, the integration with other Google products makes it simple to create a comprehensive view of everything. Highly recommended!

Pros

I really like Google Data Studio as a long time user. It's really easy to use and it has an intuitive interface. I love that it integrates with other data sources like BigQuery, Google Ads, and Google Analytics so I can easily visualize my data in one place. The drag and drop feature makes it simple for me to customize my reports and dashboards however I want. Plus, the ability to collaborate with others on the same report is incredibly helpful.

Cons

I found the interface to be confusing and not very intuitive. It was difficult to figure out how to use the platform without taking some time to watch the tutorials. I also found it difficult to customize visualizations and create reports that were easy to understand. Overall, I found using Google Data Studio challenging, and would have preferred a more user-friendly experience.But for the price "FREE" and plenty of video's and ready to use templates this tool still wins for me.

Luis

Data Studio for a Data Engineer

Reviewed on 06/09/2022

I currently work in the area of data engineering, and it helps me a lot, we do analyses, we do QA of the applications, the integration with firebase, bigquery and analytics is great, so we can build processes that validate our data, and detect any anomaly in time

Pros

I love the integration with bigquery, as I already mentioned our data warehouse is there, we can build dashboards, reports, corrections, validations in minutes

Cons

it has a limited number of graphs, and deploying it is quite slow, also share it, I would like there to be more possibilities to filter by data

Qlik Sense and Tableau

Reasons for Choosing Google Data Studio

when I made that change, using tableau, I felt in the 80`s, a software with old interfaces

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

they are quite expensive and their connectors are very limited
Julian
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Should be your first option when getting started with dashboarding

Reviewed on 27/06/2022

Easy dashboard building from multiple sources

Easy dashboard building from multiple sources

Pros

Being fully cloud based embedded within GSuite makes it the best and easiest solution for internal dashboards amongst your team. It's quite valuable not having to break your workflow and manage different logins and makes it super easy to share with a subset or whole of your organization

Cons

There is no support so you are on your own if things are going wrong. The connectors are also much less stable than other tools with frequent I/O problems or times when things are inexplicably broken for hours or days, and you are in the dark since there is no support.

Reasons for Choosing Google Data Studio

price (free), ease of sharing and building dashboards

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

free and easy to make dashboards with good functionality. Best used for internal dashboards
Ben
  • Industry: Biotechnology

User Friendly Data Dashboards

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

A big fan! It's missing a few features, and I've noticed a few bugs here and there. But all the bugs I've ran into have been manageable with easy workarounds. But this is a FREE platform and it have more key features than a majority of these paid data platforms.

Pros

Extremely user friendly. Setting up the dashboards was simple. You have control over almost every detail, including the layout and design. This is unlike many data platforms I've used in the past. ALMOST everything is totally customizable. This brings in all your Google/Youtube data automatically (including Google Sheets/docs). It also lets your bring in images, links, and other assets. You can change the data range filter easily for all metrics. The dashboard also is easily shareable to all team members and you can export the dashboard to a PDF.

Cons

The connectivity to other platforms is disappointing. In order to automatically bring in your social media data or data from other sources (such as digital advertising or 1st party ecommerce data) you need to purchase a "connector". However, there are ways around this if you export your data from your other sources and just put this in a Google Sheet and connect that sheet to your Google Data Studio.

Darien
Darien

A robust, free data visualization suite with more features than you'd expect

Reviewed on 19/08/2021

Overall, Google Data Studio has offered a free way to easily manage and organize data in a compelling and easy-to-use manner. While the initial setup can be tedious, Google Data Studio is a great tool for reviewing data.

Pros

Google Data Studio offers a robust set of features and visualization options, all of which come together to form a powerful data visualization platform to accommodate all your needs. With ready-to-use templates and an easy drag & drop system, Google Data Studio makes it easy to link to your data - featuring numerous connections to google apps (like sheets, ads, search console, youtube, bigquery, mysql, etc), third-party apps, and custom connections - if they don't already support the app you are looking for. On top of that, Google Data studio offers numerous types of charts (pivot tables, regular tables, scorecards, graphs of every kind), and further customization with their third-party visualization options. The platform also offers custom formulas for data, allowing you to customize your data on the front-end vs in your database. However the best part of Google Data Studio is the ability to add data controls & filters - giving the ability to add a date selector, or a drop-down list based on a column of data; or even to set each chart individually to pull data from a specific time frame.

Overall, Google Data Studio offers many features which compounded together, create a powerful system for data analysis.

Cons

Despite Google Data Studio's prowess, unfortunately it can easily become overwhelming and unwieldy to manage. The learning curve for the program can be quite extreme; especially when you start to dive into custom formulas for data. While custom formulas seem to line up with formulas you might be familiar with in Excel, they don't - some formulas match, while others don't exist, and yet others do different things than their name-sake in excel. Furthermore, creating custom reports can become a time-consuming process - as you try to figure out how to display the data you want, while working around some of the limitations of Google Data Studio. This includes simple things like being able to modify the title of a specific chart - in some charts, this is an easy function; while in others, it is impossible, forcing you to use a custom title.

Furthermore, Google Data Studio has a list of pre-defined date ranges (such as "Last Week starting Sunday/Monday, Month To Date, Last Month, Last Year, Last Quarter, This Month, This Year, This Quarter") which operate perfectly - however if none of their predefined options work, you have to figure out their "Advanced" date range system, which can be quite complicated to manage if you are working with a dynamic range (such as wanting to see first quarter data but you are halfway through the second quarter)

Brent
  • Industry: Media Production

Reporting that is powerful enough for most, and affordable for all

Reviewed on 07/06/2022

Data Studio has really improved over the last year or two. It's much more stable than it used to be, and is more in depth. As a small agency, I haven't found much that is missing.

Outside of setting up integrations and data sources and then creating the dashboard connections, the rest is fairly simple to set up. Customizing a dashboard is easy, and sorting data is easy once you do a couple and learn the dimensions of how data is displayed.

Having a free dashboard and reporting tool that integrates directly with other Google products is awesome.

Pros

I love that it's a tool directly from the same company where I get most of my data already. I use Google Analytics and Google Ads heavily in my business, so it's awesome to have a data analysis and reporting tool that has stable connections to both of these. Being able to integrate both, and other integrations into the same dashboard is a big plus.

And the depth of features has really gotten pretty large over the last couple of years. Unless you need extremely advanced calculations and reporting, Data Studio will probably suit your needs. The ability to sort your data and fine-tune exactly how metrics are displayed is cool.

It doesn't hurt that Data Studio is free! These kinds of tools are often very expensive, but Data Studio allows smaller studios like mine to get in the game for little to no investment.

Cons

It's a bit of a pain to get set up, and to fully integrate. The documentation, while large, is not easy to follow in my opinion.

Adding a data source and then creating a dashboard using a specific source can be a little hit and miss. It shouldn't take 3 or 4 screens of options to tell my dashboard that I want to get data from a specific source. Once you get past it, it's fine. But setting up a new dashboard, and organizing dashboards, is cumbersome.

Zoho Analytics

Reasons for Switching to Google Data Studio

Data Studio is free. Zoho Analytics is more robust overall, but also comes with a higher cost, and a higher learning curve.
Noam
  • Industry: Media Production

A Comprehensive Review of Google Data Studio

Reviewed on 24/01/2023

Overall, I am very pleased with Google Data Studio. It is an excellent data analysis and visualization tool that is easy to use and provides powerful features.

Pros

Google Data Studio is an intuitive and powerful tool for data analysis and visualization. It is easy to use, even for those who are unfamiliar with data analysis. It allows you to quickly create beautiful and informative charts, diagrams, and maps to help you better understand your data.

Cons

One downside of Google Data Studio is that it can be quite complex and difficult to use for more advanced data analysis. It also lacks some features that are available in other data analysis tools.

Timmy
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Build web dashboards and interfaces for internal or external use with professionalism and ease.

Reviewed on 19/04/2021

Making a dashboard for our team to use internally was so fun and intuitive, we developed a customer-facing dashboard that allows users to make exciting visualizations of their data. This has led to a broader "understanding," as well as more engagement in this project from users and developers alike.

Pros

I loved the fact that there are templates for interactive web page dashboards that help shortcut visualizations and common display formats for data. Other websites either lock you into a boring template or expect users/devs to reinvent the wheel. This allowed me to build momentum quickly.

Cons

I was not a fan of the additional charges for data connecters. Data from large social media sites or professional websites is often stuck behind a paywall, which is a bit aggravating.

Anoop
Anoop
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Best for Quick Visualization

Reviewed on 03/03/2023

Overall the interface is simple to use and intuitive. Integration with various data sources and data import that is seamless. Team members' collaborative sharing and editing is easy. It is free to use and can connect to a variety of data sources.

Pros

Google Data Studio is an incredible asset for making staggering and intelligent reports. The simplified connection point makes it simple to use for clients, everything being equal, and the capacity to work together progressively has made it a significant resource for our group.I love the way adaptable Google Data Studio is. The capacity to make custom layouts, add marking components, and coordinate with different information sources has permitted us to make lovely and viable reports that really address our image.It is a reasonable and simple to-utilize revealing device that has had a major effect in our business. The capacity to rapidly make custom reports and dashboards has assisted us with pursuing information driven choices and work on our main concern.

Cons

Though it can be used as a quick tool for reporting, it cannot handle large amount of data and thus gets stuck while processing it. Occasionally there are few bugs and glitches that slows the performance of the dashboard. It has limited options of advanced analytics.

Shahzad
Shahzad

Google Data Studio is great BI Tool only if you're looking for Free

Reviewed on 09/06/2022

If you're main motive of this tool is to create Dashboards and visualize the data and don't want to spend anything extra with few marketing channels then this is a Good fit for you as it does everything but like Every Free tools has it own limitation and the One Limitation is that you are bound to make purchase of the connector if you want to capture the data from Marketing Channels other than Google.

Pros

- Easy to use along with Live Updates of the Metrics from multiple marketing channels which makes the only BI tool to do so. There are other Paid Tools available but they don't provide live updates in metrics.
- Their Easy to Add Custom Calculated Dimensions & Metrics with easy formulas make it easier to work on for a Newbie

Cons

- Their UI/UX is not that responsive and users faces issues when using Data Studio which sometime leads to unwanted changes in the Reporting.
- Free Connectors are only available for Google Products only and if you want to use or capture other channel data you need to make purchase of the Connectors.
- You can only make One Sided relationships between multiple data sets which is a major disadvantage.

Jay

Data visualization for all!

Reviewed on 01/04/2022

Pros

Similar to the capabilities you get in Google Sheets, it's hard to believe Data Studio is free. Thanks to data studio, I've been able to create a variety of dashboards that allow my company to keep up to date on where they've been and where they're headed.

Cons

Not as many options (yet) as the big dogs. It doesn't take long to start a laundry list of desired features. Sometimes it has trouble connecting to the data and needs anywhere between one browser refresh and a full day of rest of to start working again.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Amazing Free Resource

Reviewed on 23/05/2022

Overall I am satisfied with the tool and I have used it several times in the past to create simple and effective dashboards.

Pros

I think that Google Data Studio is severely underused as a free tool for Google Workspace subscribers. Anytime I hear about someone paying for the expensive Tableau access I tell them to check out this program instead. Very comparable tool at little to no price.

Cons

Some features are difficult to understand how to use, but resources (free online classes) are available to teach yourself how to solve the issue. I just wish they would put more time into thinking of how to make the feature intuitive in the first place so that courses are not needed.

Tableau and Microsoft Power BI

Budget

Little to no cost.
Martin

A good platform for data visualization

Reviewed on 17/10/2023

Used it for so many years which makes it invaluable for us to share reports with.

Pros

Google Data Studio offers an great platform for data visualization and reporting. It seamlessly integrates with other Google tools and data sources (specially GA for us) , making it easy to create interactive and visually appealing reports.

Cons

While it's a powerful tool, the learning curve can be steep, especially for some staffmembers. Additionally, it lacks some advanced features that more specialized data visualization tools might offer. Longing for more AI tools to work with.

Satyaswapna
Satyaswapna

Easiest way to Data Visualization

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Looking at data on a day to day or weekly basis has become easier as looking at a graph is much easier than looking at numbers

Pros

The initial set-up is very easy
Easy to use templates
Very straight forward
New features coming in monthly
Can use calculated fields and items

Cons

There are some minor tweaks like adjusting data label position which isn't available
Can't use the studio with big datasets on Google sheet
Is slow when there are lot of responsive graphs

It's free to use
Shruti

Google Data Studio: Pretty Awesome

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

This for me is a phenomenal product. Since I have found this, I've introduced it to multiple people at work. This has been very helpful in depicting data in a simple and easy way to variety of audiences. I wish they advertised it better.

Pros

1. It is free
2. It connects to your Google account
3. It can connect to a whole variety of data sources, I have been using several Google spreadsheets
4. The ease of inserting a table, a graph, scorecard, heatmap etc
5. It is visually pleasing
6. It can serve as a live dashboard with custom and malleable date ranges
7. It allows you to easily switch around different chart versions
8. You can embed a Google spreadsheet! and scroll through the live Data Studio file!
9. All sorts of sharing settings
10. Can also download as a static PDF file
11. They have a basic training online, and there is a world of articles and youtube videos to help you
12. You can create new fields, rename them etc

Cons

1. You have to link by tab for each spreadsheet, which is tedious. It would be nice to be able to link multiple tabs and spreadsheets at once.
2. There is no option for an automatic refresh if there is a change in the base file -- you have to go to View and hit refresh (not intuitive either).
3. The legend text often gets hidden and is not easy to resize and move around.
4. I couldn't find any option for inserting headers or page numbers automatically.

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

A much needed tool, but lot to improve

Reviewed on 24/12/2022

Pros

It has almost all the data and we can create dashboard using all that data, by just drag and drop, which makes it super easy and convenient. For static data like targets, we can connect to google sheets, which results in one stop solution for many employees to track their performance. We also get rich demographic info using GA, which can be visualized here on maps also. After giving access to business users, they are self creating dashboards which is offloading my work.

Cons

It does sampling with users when data points are less, which results in different value for every user when using direct GA connector, we have to use Big Query connector to overcome this problem but it incurs cost. Sometimes it does wrong aggregation like while calculating distinct users, sometimes it will give distinct in total for which sum of table will by greater than total, but sometimes it just adds up the values which is wrong.

Nik

The best free BI dashboarding tool

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Pros

GDS is free and that is its greatest strength. It connects easily to Google services, and supports a smattering of other data sources. It is easy to use and has some power under the hood that isn't obvious at first blush, especially with recent updates that permit better data aggregation and transformation.

Cons

It is very good for relatively simple dashboards, but if you are looking for larger scale "enterprise" tools or want more flexibility in data management, it's probably not a good fit. Maintenance of dashboards is highly manual and it is nearly impossible to create template reports or duplicate them for other similar data sources.

Ambar
Ambar
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Great Experience With Google Data Studio

Reviewed on 17/05/2023

Overall experience with Google Data Studio is really amazing. Excellent!

Overall experience with Google Data Studio is really amazing. Excellent!

Pros

1. It integrates seamlessly with other Google products, including Google Sheets, Cloud MySQL, and others. 2. Since it is a web application, there is no need to install any software. Anyone with access to a computer can begin using it immediately. 3. It offers selected users scheduled delivery of reports. equally configurable is the scheduler.

Cons

From my side, there is no negative feedback, Google Data Studio is a very helpful and useful tool. Excellent!

Daïnah
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Easy and fast to use it with Google's component

Reviewed on 24/07/2023

We used Google DataStudio for the price (free), it was very easy to use and was mainly use for the simple dashboard and use cases.

Pros

Google Data Studio is very easy to use with BigQuery's connection : we can connect directly tables, views or custom query.

Cons

Before integration with looker, we were limited with left join between tables (no inner join and no right join)

Nathan

Getting there

Reviewed on 19/08/2021

Really easy to extrapolate data from all marketing channels to visualise ROI.

Really easy to extrapolate data from all marketing channels to visualise ROI.

Pros

Some data sources are really easy to integrate. The pre-existing data format templates are extremely useful.

Cons

Had a nightmare trying to integrate with a standard SQL database due to the sheer number of IP addresses used to connect to your data. The system we used had no easy way to wildcard multiple IPs

Adobe Analytics