Travis CI

Write a Review!
Platform for testing and deploying codes

3.9/5

Bruce
  • Industry: Research

Powerful, free and easy DevOps

Reviewed on 03/02/2019

Travis hasn't let me down yet. This services handles more than 90% of our builds.

Pros

Travis does a few things really well:
1. Documentation - the documentation is extensive and complete, and one never has the feeling that there are "hidden features" that only the power users know about.
2. Speed - waiting for more than a few seconds for a build to start is extremely rare.
3. Deploy integrations - builds can be deployed to a set of services easily. This is probably the easiest way to set up continuous deployment if you're on a tight budget.

Cons

The build environment can be somewhat restrictive, forcing one to choose language-specific base images and not giving access to the underlying VM.

Thomas
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great product - Pricing is insane for someone on a single team

Reviewed on 02/02/2021

Good experience - got hooked on the free trial, but it's time to move on as its costing an arm & a leg.

Pros

I really like Travis CI, creating .travis.yml files is easy enough & I love the interface for seeing my build progress. That said I'll be moving off of this platform very shortly.

Cons

The cost is insane - Azure DevOps offers pipelines for free, my AWS sites (5 of them) cost less to host than my Travis CI subscription, AWS has a DevOps implementation that is about $15/mo - even if Travis CI was at $20-$25/mo I would consider it as a solution.

AWS Config and Azure DevOps Server

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

I was working through a tutorial on AWS & this was offered as the CI / CD solution, since the trial was free I opted for it. Now that my project is in production though this pricing is my highest cost service & needs to be addressed.
Raphael

Used to be one of the only good option, not so much more today

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

We see it here as less and less professional. It started with a lot of time to get new images, the problem of running after 4PM (Berlin time), the cache for ccache that suddenly disappear (which makes us use even more credits, obviously), and we are missing more and more CD.

It really feels as if, after Travis was bought, that the board decided to "cash in" money. You even need to pay credits now for OSS? How is that supporting it?

Pros

I liked the ease to setup a new project with it, once you know how to get around the product.

Cons

For sure this new price plan, that was announced a day *after* it was put in place (seriously?).
It costs us more than half of the credits to make just one build. The price per minute is just insane. I can have more workers and unlimited build times with Azure DevOps, for about the same amount of money of just the subscription alone (so not counting those Travis add-ons).

When the credits are done, then the CI will just block. You need to close and reopen the PR. Problem is that we have other GitHub integrations, so this makes the process really painful.

Jenkins and AppVeyor

Reasons for Choosing Travis CI

General maintenance time was too high for our small team.

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

We are actually also using AppVeyor. We didn't choose over Jenkins as it seemed it would still imply too much maintenance time (infrastructure and devop)
Charlie
Charlie
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Fair, but unclear

Reviewed on 25/08/2021

Good, but can be

Good, but can be

Pros

Travis is the only ci tool that have VT-x enabled!
It's also well known, simple to use.

Cons

Paid compared to github action. At least it could be cool to have come montlhy free credits, for just a few to maintain some OSS project in RUN mode.
Not so configurable: I can't come with my own VM ISO so I'm forced to download all prerequisite package every time for each builds: most of my credits go there...
As I'm part of multiple orgs, it's hard to know which credits are spent where. Also, the authorization mecanism is not that clear: I don't know exactly what travis sees from my github infos.

Ramindu
Ramindu

Effective continuous integration on the cloud

Reviewed on 09/01/2020

Travis CI helped my teams build continuous integration pipelines running on Github projects extremely easy and rapid.

Pros

Travis CI is the go-to continuous integration tool for open source projects thanks to its tight integration with Github. It provides a great set of tools on the cloud for integrating existing and new Github projects, configuring their build parameters and running builds based on various Github events such as the opening of pull requests which gives an unprecedented level of control to project leads on how code is merged in to projects.

Cons

Travis is a bit complex to integrate with version control platforms other than Github. Configuration to make it work with other platforms such as private GitLab servers can be tricky.

Ondřej
Ondřej

Past Glory

Reviewed on 01/02/2021

We started using Travis in September 2016. Over the years we used it for both CI and CD pipelines for most of our applications - we had about 300 pipelines. For many years it was a truly great service. Now days we're trying to move away as fast as we can.

Pros

Worked like charm years ago and did everything we ever wanted to. Neat debugging feature.

Cons

In past 2 years Travis is dying in painful agony. The service is unreliable, sometimes not working for days. Status page is not updated at all. Support is non-existent - time to first response to an issue is a month now. Out of about 20 issues we raised in past year, not a single one was resolved.

Samwel
Samwel

Travis CI Review

Reviewed on 30/05/2019

I have only used Travis CI on Github repositories so I am not sure how it works with other code hosting providers. In Github, It works like a charm.

Pros

Travis CI is easy to use, it has a nice and easy user interface that gets you started quickly.
Travis CI is well documented which makes onboarding easy.
Some of my associates thought that when you have private repositories, you have to pay to use it. I have been using it with my private repositories. If before you had to pay, now things have changed. It would be nice to help support the product though so that development can go on. The servers also require funds to run.

Cons

Everything is perfect as per now. I have not come across any issues.

• Industry: Hospitality

Travis CI is the Godfather of CI

Reviewed on 15/01/2019

Pros

For some reason Travis CI seems like the Godfather of CI even though it popped up at the same time as the others. I think this is because they aggressively had a bot add testing to open source projects, and it seemed to work.

Cons

For the price even though Travis CI is great its a little expensive.

Matthew
Matthew

Nice Slack Integrations

Reviewed on 03/05/2022

Pros

I loved integrating Travis into our workflow in Slack. We received notifications from Travis when there are failures in unit tests during the run of our CI pipeline. It appears for us to see and acknowledge. It’s little things like this that keep the team updated in an agile environment.

Cons

Like all CI/CD tools configurations are painful. It is made easy with lots of documentation but once it’s setup it runs and runs well.

Microsoft Azure

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

It was free to us as we were a non profit
  • Industry: Biotechnology

The long-standing king of open source CI/CD... but will it last?

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Pros

Been using Travis-CI for about 8 years now, and it's always reliably hosted my OSS projects.

Cons

Now with new ownership we've been seeing more downtime. Hope they can keep it afloat!

Stan

Good product.

Reviewed on 17/08/2021

Pros

can easily see all the repositories and the result.

Cons

It taking lots of time to set up a test suite.

Jenkins

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

load screen animation, its shows diversity, I like it.
Nicolas

Loved Travis in the past, sad to be on my way out.

Reviewed on 22/06/2021

Between the cons described above, the service degradation I've observed in the past 6 months and your recent organizational and pricing changes (we are an open-source project and directly impacted), I'll be setting up Github actions to run my CI tests from here onwards (this is also about standardizing with other projects in my organization) and will deactivate my travis account.

Pros

It worked really nicely until about 6 months ago !
The previous unlimited open-source plan was generous, and a huge selling point.

Cons

Service has been less than ideal since the decision to move OSS projects travis-ci.org. We have felt this throttling of resources, and it was an indication that things were about tho change for the worse.

I was surprised to find that from one day to the next my CI builds weren't being run anymore.
Sure enough, you had a banner announcing the change from travis-ci.org to .com , but I didn't understand it would require changes on my side, and I didn't receive an email letting me know that my CI builds would just stop if I didn't manage it. I'll admit my fault in not checking more thoroughly.

Moving from .org to .com was not as easy as I would have liked (Why do I need to sign up for a beta? Why is it in beta, and why do you need more decisions from me that I don't have all the information to decide?), but I eventually got there.

Damien
  • Industry: Banking

Works, but deprecated UI

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

Pros

It does the job with reliability. I have no reason to change.

Cons

The UI has not evolved for years I think. I'm constantly doing the same 10 clicks to do the same things everyday, that I could have done in 1-click with a better UI. There are no insights, no "nice to have".
It may work but I have absolutely no attachment to the product and could change without missing anything.
In fact, I'll probably rationalize the number of tools we have by switching to Heroku CI or Github Actions, since they do as much as Travis I have no need for another tool.

GitHub , CircleCI and Heroku

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

Well known. Easy to configure.
Nathan
  • Industry: Higher Education

Poor customer support

Reviewed on 02/02/2021

It was great until the pricing model changed and customer service disappeared.

It was great until the pricing model changed and customer service disappeared.

Pros

It's easy to integrate into GitHub and gives students near instant feedback about their code.

Cons

I had a problem with the non-existent customer support. On 1/16 I wrote customer support to get my class organization "blessed" as an educational account. I followed up on 1/26. With no response and credits disappearing, I'll be moving this class and future classes to GitLabs for student work.

GitLab

Reasons for Switching to Travis CI

I heard great things from coworkers.
Tim
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Customer service is terrible

Reviewed on 12/05/2021

Fine until I tried to talk with support.

Fine until I tried to talk with support.

Pros

It does the job it is intended to do. For years I haven't had complaints until I had to deal with customer service...

Cons

Customer service is terrible. Turn arounds are 24 hours are more. Responses are unhelpful and sometimes there's no response at all. My most recent experience involved trying to get a new hire access to our projects/org in Travis. He sent multiple emails back and forth with support, each time they said they'd fixed it and nothing had changed. Eventually he stopped getting responses. I also tried submitting a ticket and got no response at all.

Stéphane
  • Industry: Telecommunications

New travis and chrome webdriver (java8 and java11)

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

I use travis for continouse integration and continous delivery of NoraUi Open source Framework

Pros

multi compilation Oracle Java8, OpenJDK8, Oracle Java11, OpenJDK11, nodeJS, ...

Cons

In new or last version of Travis-CI, I have often this error with the Chrome webdriver:
"web view not found"

My builds use 4 instances (Oracle Java8, OpenJDK8, Oracle Java11, OpenJDK11) and I still have several instances that do not go through because of this error; it is never the same who do not pass. by relaunching several times it can work.

Chevy

Review - Travis CI

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

A must have for any configuration/development team needing to move fast but also have control over the process to ensure things work as expected.

Pros

Travis CI is a must for our team as we work in an agile environment that requires constantly deployments. Travis makes that easy to do and helps us track/monitor changes and have them tested in real time.

Cons

I have found that the debugging process can be a little tedious because of the lack of information in error messages. I've also noticed some issues where I need to re-run jobs without explanation.

Chris

Fast, free (for OSS) continuous integration testing

Reviewed on 13/03/2021

Ensuring that the master branch of my projects remains stable and of release quality, by only allowing changes that pass CI to be merged.

Pros

Web interface is fast and responsive. Builds are quite fast. It's free for OSS. Quite good documentation (comprehensive). Supports several environments, including Macs (and now Windows too).

Cons

Not so easy to determine exactly what you need to run (e.g. which packages to install, what to sudo). A simulator/interactive environment for testing would be nice!

Stephen
  • Used for 2+ years

Great for Budding Software Engineers

Reviewed on 09/06/2021

Using Travis CI (educational plan) has helped my students to gain some real-world devops experience. It has allowed me, as an educator, to offer them this experience.

Pros

I use Travis CI in my software engineering class so that my students can build and deploy to cloud-hosted websites. My students find it relatively easy to setup and use. As an educator I have oversight over all of my students' projects. I find the build history particularly useful as I can see how often builds are occurring and whether they are passing or failing. Ideally, projects should be built often and most builds should succeed. Travis CI really helps me to assess these aspects.

Cons

There are no real cons that I can think of.

Praneet

Falling behind

Reviewed on 20/03/2021

Pros

Everything listed in the Cons section? :)

Cons

Lack of first-class support for build artifacts. The configuration format for a multi-stage pipeline isn't straightforward and a bit unusual among the competition. No support for 3rd-party extensions.

Oz
  • Industry: Insurance

Travis meets my needs

Reviewed on 29/03/2021

We use to travis to build our API and deploy it. Various websites as well.
Have used the product to...

We use to travis to build our API and deploy it. Various websites as well.
Have used the product to integrate with Veracode.

Pros

Travis integrates with github, and slack.

Cons

Sometimes the scripting of yaml files is agonizing.

Erik
  • Industry: Research

Switching to gh-actions

Reviewed on 08/02/2021

Very pleased with the product

Very pleased with the product

Pros

Works and integrates seemlessly. Love it.

Cons

Pricing model has changed. I understand. We are open source and non-profit so moving away.

Elmo

Simple & Easy

Reviewed on 09/07/2021

Very happy with Travis CI

Very happy with Travis CI

Pros

The set up is very simple and easy. Free for OSS

Cons

There is nothing pretty much. The boot up time for the virtual machine could be improved.

Bodo Hugo

Deploy with Confidence thanks to Automated Testing

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

I mostly achieved to set up the tests and intregrate them seamlessly with the GitHub Version Control System.

Pros

The Integration with the Version Control Software helped me to iterate the development easier and with more confidence while being sure not have left over open ends.
The detailed test output helps me to understand very well how the software runs at the test.

Cons

I would love more generic tests that would help to build test for non standard implementations:

I would love also be able to choose different testing environments besides Ubuntu, like Debian or Centos.

Spin up additional containers for testing distributed systems.

Legacy Perl 5.10 Support was dropped without documenting it correctly.
The test returned OK when it actually failed to install the Perl 5.10 environment.
In the Project Description it should alert correctly which versions are supported.

Vasily

Moving from Travis-CI.org is not easy! Nothing works for my open-source org

Reviewed on 25/06/2021

Previously it was absolutely good for open source projects! Not I can't migrate it quickly to new version. And surprisingly I have negative credits for free plan. And the service can't see my open-source organization. Guys, this is not funny.

Pros

Travis-ci.org was an excellent service until I have to switch to new Travis-ci.com.

Cons

Bad migration flow from old travis-ci.org. Couldn't bring it up in 30 minutes.