Xero

4.0/5

Adam

Absolutely love Xero

Reviewed on 03/11/2019

Xero has allowed us to get a real, detailed view on the financial situation within our company from one place. With a comprehensive setup, it can provide real value from day one.

Pros

Xero has transformed our financial management and provides us with all the real time data we could imagine, and where it lacks, integrations take over. While more "accountancy" friendly than some of the more simple products, once you work with your accountants to get this right, you won't regret it. The detail, features and holistic approach to managing company finances means that we are using this every day and with pleasure.

Cons

The interface is being updated, and it is needed as it is a little old fashioned in its design. That said, it is clean and clear and otherwise we love everything about Xero.

Sage 100 and FreeAgent

Reasons for Choosing Xero

FreeAgent was a little too simple and too many things were "locked in". We have much more flexibility and a wider range of integrations with Xero.

FreeAgent
Faisal Shafi
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Make Your Accounting Automated

Reviewed on 02/09/2022

Xero is cloud-based accounting software that connects banks, accountants, management, and advisors from anywhere with any device with active internet. It performs all accounting tasks from preparing ledgers, accounts receivable, accounts payable, financial statements to the management of payroll, taxation, bank reconciliation, and inventory. Online billing enables to send bill through email.

Pros

Xero manages the whole accounting of business straight forward. Particularly automating the process of bank reconciliation is amazing time saver, it connects to banks and credit cards. Moreover, it effectively and easily integrates with other cloud based software which enhances usability of Xero.

Cons

Process of bank reconciliation has been automated but the process got glitches causing bank feeds stopped and entity has to restore to importing bank statement manually which takes time and attempts more than once. Inventory management needs improvement. Customer support is not perfect comparatively. It is not user friendly for those who have little accounting knowledge.

Emma
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

I adore this software and recommend it to anyone

Reviewed on 01/12/2022

Pros

Easy to use and has everything needed to keep your business finances in good shape

Cons

The details taken for clients and the interface on the client records isn't the best but the other features make up for this

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Better features, looks better, easier to use
Samuel
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Challenging to Use

Reviewed on 28/12/2022

Overall I find Xero very difficult to use, it doesn't seem to reconcile well and the reports are hard to customize or run properly

Pros

I currently cannot think of anything that I like about Xero, I always have things that I am wanting to do but either cannot do, or find it very hard to do with Xero (such as reconciling properly or pulling different reports)

Cons

I find this software very challening to use. I primarily use QuickBooks Online and Desktop with my clients, we have one client on Xero, and find that Xero is very difficult to use, and does not have the functionality that I am used to with QB.

Mitchell
  • Industry: Investment Management

The BEST Small Business Accounting Platform

Reviewed on 31/10/2022

Having used Xero since 2013, I am yet to find a better product. The software and the overall company have never missed a beat. They are continually adding features (see Hubdoc integration, transparent, have competitive pricing, and connect accountants with business (refer to Xerocon events).

Pros

Xero has everything for startup companies and small businesses. Their software is 10 out 10 on user interface. It was born in the cloud and continues to exceed Quickbooks by a long shot. Most everything Quickbooks has added to its software in the past 10 years, is because Xero did it first.

Cons

The software does not have a tax add-on when compared to Quickbooks (Intuit). They are plenty of integrations to solve this issue but it would be nice to have. Integrating bill payment is more difficult compared to Quickbooks as well.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Xero has better pricing, pricing options, features (fixed assets module), reporting, integrations, reconciling than its competitors. For example, if you import 500 transactions into Quicks incorrectly, you have to delete them all one by one. You can batch delete data in Xero. Quickbooks also does not have cash vs accrual basis accounting. You literally cannot make accrual journals in Quickbooks.
Shahul
  • Industry: Accounting

One of the best accounting software

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

It has been a very essential software for our day to day services which will enable us to maintain accounts and taxes properly.

Pros

The learning hub which will provide all the updates and guide us the path to maintain our Xero certificate. Then the customer help which will make easy to get the questions clarified quickly. When it comes to the accounting perspective it is an awesome software to maintain the accounts and plan on the taxes in a easy way.

Cons

All of the aspects in this software is very useful so nothing to like least in this software

Mohamed
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Xero is Very good program

Reviewed on 16/01/2023

I have been using Xero for over a year now and I have been really happy with the service. The platform is easy to use and the team is always available to help. I have never had any problem with the software and I have never had to contact customer support. Overall, I am really happy with Xero.

Pros

1. Xero is easy to use.2. You can manage your finances and stay organized with Xero.3. You can use Xero to track your expenses and income.4. You can use Xero to manage your bookkeeping and tax obligations.5. Xero offers a free trial so you can try it before you buy it.

Cons

There are a few cons to using Xero that should be considered before using the program. One of the biggest cons is that Xero is a cloud-based program, which means that users must have an internet connection in order to access and use the program. This can be problematic for users who do not have a reliable internet connection

Gennadii
  • Industry: Computer Games

Xero: The Perfect Solution for Small Business Accounting Needs

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

Overall, I highly recommend Xero to anyone needing efficient and reliable accounting software.

Pros

I have been using Xero for the past few years for my business, and it has been a game changer. The interface is user-friendly and intuitive, making it easy for me to track the company's finances and generate reports. The integration with bank accounts has also been seamless, allowing me to import transactions easily and reconcile my accounts. The mobile app is also a convenient way to access my financial information on the go.

Cons

There are some inconsistencies in UI, presumably, because Xero is moving to a new UI. I hope this will be improved soon.

mostafa

Very good program

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

He finishes the work early and in a simple and short period of time and is not large and can be greatly benefited from in commercial invoices.

Pros

It is smooth, practical, and can be used and relied on to a large extent

Cons

It is very easy and you can get used to it very easily and get to know it in a short period of time

Kadeem
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Customer service representative

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

Pros

I like the fact that I have say nothing

Cons

It is very expensive for my budget am poor

Leanne
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Easy to deploy and use providing you have basic book-keeping knowledge

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

Solid and simple cloud accounting solution that is easy to navigate and customise. Great that our external accountants and legal support can access online as they need. Seems to be continuously evolving and its reassuring to see ongoing development of the product.

Pros

Customisable dashboard is a time saver and ability to customise templates helps with consistency for our company branding. Customisation of user permissions means the bonus of staff being able to enter their own expenses which is a further time saver. Being able to work across multiple currencies now is a plus, albeit I wish we could manually adjust exchange rates being used.

Cons

Many advanced features that are standard for longer established accounting software solutions are available, but as "bolt on" packages, so costs can escalate quickly if you need full "bells and whistles".
Customer service response can be very slow compared to other cloud software providers we use - in the beginning they were responsive for engagement but over time they're clearly pushing all customers towards getting answers from their user community and/or through the Q&A section. I appreciate that customer service probably don't want to be wasting time with queries better addressed by professional book-keepers or accountants, but in our instance, as "advanced users", our customer service queries tend to be related to technical challenges with the product. It would be great of Xero could analyse the types of queries coming from their customers and perhaps have a priority helpline on offer for "low maintenance" subscribers.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Felt more user friendly, especially for team members who, at the time, had limited or zero accounting knowledge
Simon
  • Industry: Accounting

Xero leads the way for cloud based accounting software for small to medium businesses

Reviewed on 12/09/2022

Very good. It certainly seems to be market leader and for good reason.

Pros

Although may not feature the type of reporting that would set it apart from competitors, it has good integration with other apps that can generally to the job.

For accountants, the customer support is good enough. There is a large community so you can usually find the answer you need if you run into an issue

Cons

Not every useful report is available. And may never get them if they arent on the roadmap. Only really found one strange issue around perpetual revaluing of forex that has not been resolved, and likely wont ever be. Its not critical, but would be useful.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Sage 50 wasnt cloud at the time, its the only way you can work these days. Sage cloud service wasn't up to scratch back then

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Most advanced at the time
Elena
  • Industry: Entertainment

Xero has helped us transform and streamline our processes

Reviewed on 13/06/2022

Xero has streamlined our operations, and simplified our record keeping, and notification of when bills are due for payment or invoices due for collection. The dashboard is fantastic for an overall picture. The reporting tools are excellent, and the ease of use is so logical and straightforward, that it's simple l to self-teach even for a beginner. On top of that when you have any questions the how-to guides are thorough in themselves, and support is excellent and very quick to come back to you with an in depth answer.

Pros

The ease of use is fantastic, and a beginner is able to self-teach quite easily with the fantastic guides and webinars that are available from Xero. The support is also exceptional and I have always had my queries answered in great detail and very quickly.

Cons

My main issue was that I would like to be able to create different delivery addresses on invoices that have one invoice address but different delivery locations, as it's important to specify. To workaround we write it in the body of the invoice, however with previous systems we have been able to enter multiple delivery addresses, for one invoice address and select the required one each time.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

We watched several comparison videos but it was the ease of use that sold us. I had used Sage and Zoho books in the past and knew that I didn't want to use either of them again, and I was so pleased that we chose Xero as has been fantastic for us.
Craig

I can't wait for it to be finished!

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

It's a lot of money to get setup with a certified consultant. Very few consultants available in Canada. When we did find one she was great but she bills you for every second she works. As in not any free advice. My lawyer is easier to work with.

Pros

As a former quickbooks user of about 20 years, it was a big deal to switch platforms. At first glance it looked like it would do everything we wanted. I loved the price point, the interface and relative ease of use. The multi currency was great as was the ability to integrate with Stripe. You make a lot of compromises to save on the huge monthly cost of quickbooks but there are workarounds.

Cons

There are so many things that are just common/must have's for any business. Things like progressive billing, job costing and even the ability to make your own journal entries are missing. We had to hire a consultant and spend around $800 just to get it to add purchases easier to the mix with HubDoc. You see job costing catagories at the invoice level but not software or 3rd party app to back it up. The single most annoying thing about it is the support. It's non existent. You complain, They tell you its not a problem and ignore your requests. I struggle daily with the search function. I can't get about 50% of my searches to work. The clients I'm looking for are entered. I'm typing them in fine but you often have to visit contacts menu and find them manually by quote number or just never ending scrolling. Upon complaining numerous times the best they can do is say "it might take up to two weeks for your contacts to sync. " Xero: It's 2020 and the dark ages of cloud software have passed. You need to fix the search function and add job costing to be considered a contender. So here we are in 2020, manually adding each of our sales to a spreadsheet and adding the subsequent bills to it to see if we made $. They make it incredibly hard to contact support and they are quite unresponsive when they do reply to your ticket. They try really hard to push you to support forums, where there are literally hundreds of complaints on the same issue with the ability to comment closed.

Andrew

Xero makes finance so easy

Reviewed on 25/03/2022

Since starting with Xero over six years ago, we couldn't be happier. We've centralised all our financial activity into one platform, which is great for non-finance people like myself!

Pros

Xero makes managing the finances for a business really straightforward. The user interface is intuitive and it centralises all my accounts information.

One of my favourite features is the the dashboard, which is clear and customisable, and gives a great summary of the position position at any time.

The software also integrates really well to other platforms for things like receipt capture and detailed business analysis.

Cons

I'm really happy with how it performs, however, our bookkeeper still does some levels of manual reporting, which he finds easier in Excel, than in Xero. The integration of BA tools does negate this issue.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

It wasn't SaaS at the time and was only able to be understood and used by our bookkeeper.

MYOB Business

Reasons for Switching to Xero

At the time the product looked to have better features and functionality, and the user experience was excellent.
  • Industry: Law Practice
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Powerful Accounting Software that Enables Anyone to Effectively Manage Their Accounts

Reviewed on 15/02/2022

Overall, Xero was a truly powerful software that took the dread of dealing with accounting and reconciliation and made it rather straightforward. The accounting process can effectively be handled by any person, which is rather refreshing. As an attorney, I'm not an accountant. So having something else to learn and utilize while already extremely busy would be a major inconvenience. However, Xero took what would have been a terrible experience and made it manageable.

Pros

Xero is a pretty straightforward product that is effectively almost immediately deployable. Xero's dashboard is not bulky or overwhelming like a significant number of other accounting software tends to be. Xero's help manuals and tutorials were also very useful and are great for helping users quickly refamiliarize themselves with the software. Xero worked well for my law firm for IOLTA (Lawyer Trust Account) reconciliation purposes. With the software linked to your desired account, you can easily reconcile all incoming and outgoing payments and expenses on a given account. Once set up, you literally can log in right after making a purchase to reconcile your accounts without having to fumble through old receipts later to try to remember specific actions that were taken on behalf of a client.

Cons

The only con that I personally experienced with Xero was that I routinely was required to relink and subsequently "resync" my banking account with Xero. Admittedly, this may have been a banking issue and not necessarily a Xero issue. However, when the relinking had to happen, this created a significant amount of issues because I was forced to relink the account, reimport expenses and incoming sums and then ensure that all the amounts had actually synced appropriately from my physical bank account to the Xero software.

Peach Software

Reasons for Choosing Xero

We switched from Quickbooks because the software felt really cumbersome and was not very user friendly to someone that isn't an accounting professional.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

The price of Xero and the ability to effectively use the software almost immediately made the decision to choose Xero a straightforward one.
Jaco
  • Industry: Accounting

Your businesses best friend!

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

I absolutely love Xero and advise all my clients to work on the software.

Pros

I love the fact that Xero speeds up all day to day processes and awesome reporting!

Cons

Some of the banks in my country does not have stable feeds, this makes it a bit difficult for bank rec's.

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Xero is a lot more user friendly and the Xero reporting and add-ons is on another level!

Reasons for Switching to Xero

The support from the Xero team when contacting them was already a sign that I would love to work with them and after comparing the two demo's I fell in love with Xero above the other software.
Andrew

A good step forward in accounting, but by no means perfect

Reviewed on 16/08/2022

Having used Sage on the desktop many years ago, Xero is a huge step forward. However from looking at other platforms, it doesn't have the best interface. We selected it on the basis that it's well supported by accountants, HMRC and has good API support.

Pros

The reconciliation functionality is very useful. It's not perfect and it does need a lot of massaging to get it right, but ultimately it's a big time saver. Xero also has very good APIs and integrations in to other products.

Cons

The interface is not perfect. Some tasks are a lot more cumbersome than they should be. The connectors to external services are useful but fall over on occasions. Under these circumstances, Xero's somewhat nonchalant support (akin to "turn it off and turn it on again") is not that inspiring often leading to them blaming the provider and the provider blaming them.

FreshBooks and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Xero is more widely supported by accountants and the HMRC. We have also undertaken software development projects where we've integrated with Xero and their APIs are very well defined and work well.
Samantha

The best accounting software for small business

Reviewed on 11/11/2021

The software saves me so much time, I don't have to sit and do my accounts every three months for the VAT, it is always up to date and ready to view.

Pros

The software is so easy to use and I can reconcile on a daily basis to always keep my accounts up to date.

Cons

There is no easy option to add landed costs of goods without a workaround.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

To make my accounting simpler and easy to do, so our accounts are always up to date.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Price and ease of reconciliation and use of software.
Jase

Fully featured with API integration

Reviewed on 04/04/2022

We are using Xero as a general ledger for customers, recording transactional data to it in batches and recalling these for view on our own systems. We also use this for regular billing, chasing payments, and expense tracking from staff.

Pros

Xero is very feature rich and this is supported even further by the various additional third party services you can plug into Xero, such as receipt capture and upload or building your own app. The web functionality looks professional to use and the reports are simple to create and understand.

Cons

When using the API connectivity, there is a limit of 10,000 transactions a month which depending on the business size, can be hit quickly. Additionally, there is no option to upgrade to remove this limit.

Great, intuitive and easy to use bookkeeping software, lacking for accountants, NO customer...

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

It is so easy to use but support has to come from Accountants who are not customer service or techies and who are not adequately compensated for their efforts. It is enjoyable to use and definitely does the basics very well.

Pros

For bookkeeping, small and medium-sized businesses this software is a dream. It is the most intuitive and easiest to use of all the accounting software that we reviewed. As an accountant, it is easy to fix user errors and mis-postings. There is a proper audit trail and safety checks built in. There are so many time-saving features like find and recode, repeating bills/invoices/journals, bank rules. The move toward AI is exciting too.

Cons

The reports aren't GAP or IAS compliant so it is no good for reporting, final accounts production or tax. To get accountants interested and recommending Xero in the early days, they promised accountants that Final Accounts Production and Corporation Tax software was in their development queue but it never materialised and they burnt a lot of bridges with accountants when they announced that they had dropped FAP plans. This is why Quickbooks are getting such a big foothold and stealing market share from Xero.

The software is expensive for what it is and you can get a lot more and better for your money with FreeAgent and QuickBooks.

The biggest let down for Xero is that there is no telephone support, at all. Not even call back. You have to email and if you are on the opposite side of the world from New Zealand, it can take a full day to get an inital response and if there is any misunderstanding or info required, it can take days to get your problem resolved. This is really useless and a deal breaker for serious businesses.

Another major failing in Xero is the number of times that the Bank Feed just doesn't work. This is outwith Xero's control and so it can often take months to resolve. This is amateur and best and negligent at worst.

Xero truly puts powerful data in the hands of small business owners

Reviewed on 15/08/2018

Pros

I have been using Xero for a good number of years now and can only recommend it! The usability is fantastic, the ability to see really clearly how the accounts work is groundbreaking in its field. I love the bank reconciliation and the bank feeds. The automation of data is actually fun and linking it into the add-ons can make life a lot easier and save time and money. It is a great way to keep things simple and clear. I love the advisor features, that you can't break it (although you can make a real mess if not careful). For me the biggest benefit is the clarity of the data and the ability to drill down into virtually anything.

Don't use Xero in super complex scenarios and I would recommend that you employ a proper XERO accountant - who actually knows how to use Xero and uses the data when using it though or you will end up paying twice - once for entering the data to xero - and again when the accountant pulls it out into their own software. Overall I would absolutely recommend Xero for people who are more serious than working in spreadsheets but who are turning over £50k-£3m+ with a fairly simple process.

Cons

We have found that Xero does not work well in all scenarios but there are work arounds - the bigger the business and the more complex the processes the less it suits but then if you are bigger/more complex you should arguably be using something else!
Support is not awesome! It can take time and you are often met with unhelpful suggestions. There has been an increased number of 'blips' in the software in more recent months and the support has been almost useless in those cases and I have had to find workarounds. Conversation/instant message support should surely be on the cards?
Another thing that I don't like is the highly evangelical nature of the conferences! It borders on the cultish and if you are not 'in' then you are definitely 'out'! I have not found there to be any benefit to being on the 'directory' for that same reason.

Anna

Xero makes reconciling fun

Reviewed on 04/03/2019

I use Xero in two roles in my life, one as an employee and the other for the accounting software for my husband's business.
In my work New Zealand schools use this software as it is relatively easy to learn, quite intuitive and uses cloud accounting, enables document uploads for accountants to view etc. Once well set up it is also fast to use on a day to day basis.
At home I assist my husband to reconcile our business transactions for our accountant. We don't have to go in to the accountant's office or email invoices etc as we can upload them to Xero for him to see. You can set up the dashboard to get an overall view of your business and how much money is owed to you, and bills you owe, how you are tracking month to month, and the balances of your accounts you have linked to Xero.

Pros

I like the ease of reconciling because once you get set up and code a few items it remembers them for next time for a faster job (you still have to check them to see if they are correct first).
I find it fun and satisfying to reconcile in Xero as it is quite visual, you see several lines waiting to be reconciled and then as you work through the transactions, coding them and clicking on the middle button, they disappear. Setting up bank rules is also a huge benefit, as they get coded automatically, ready for you to just hit the green 'ok' button. You can use this for your usual bills for example, electricity bill, local cafe, cell phone bill, internet charges. Although it does take time to set bank rules up to make sure all details are accurate, it saves time in the long run.
I like the fact that customers can upload documents into the files section of Xero and their accountant can see these documents immediately to work on them or code them.
I also like the search function as you can search for a particular number, or the first few letters of a name or business to find relevant transactions.
Being able to generate invoices and email them direct from Xero is great as it saves time.

Cons

It is not the software's fault exactly, but because reconciling is so easy there is a temptation to accept what Xero suggests for a transaction and reconcile to this account, instead of pausing and really checking if the code is the best one.
Xero is first and foremost a business accounting software, so the reports it can generate may not be exactly what other users of the software need, like schools for example, who may need a Xero add-on to get what they most need in regards to reports.

Karim
  • Industry: Design

One stop Accounting solutions for Small to Medium organisations.

Reviewed on 25/07/2019

Pros

- Brilliant design and straight forward full accounting system yet detailed enough to allow user to create management reports.
- It allows direct bank feed letting the book-keepers not to worry about importing bank statements and processing detailed bank reconciliations.
- It also integrates with third party softwares to import direct feed which helps automation possible helps save time.
- It also offers partner programs for external book-keepers and accountants to work on different client books which is a new features other softwares have failed to offer.
- Great price.

Cons

- Payroll function is capable to deal with straight forward payroll matters. when dealing with complex calculation, Xero seems limited in its functionality.
- The tracking categories are limited to only two lists. It would have been great if it would have had an option to increase the number of categories to suit individual need.

Karen

Xero or MYOB?

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Xero & MYOB. I love them both - for different reasons. If you're a MYOB lover, do not be afraid of the transition. Simply view Xero as different and you'll be fine. Don't expect to find things in the same dropdown tabs - as it's a different set-up. Once you're familiar, you'll love the ease of use.
Very user friendly, not overcrowded on your pages with too much writing, easy to see information (card files for clients) all on one page - very easy to read and find the information you're after.
Give Xero a try - I know you won't be disappointed.

Pros

Love the ease of access. We have a team based in Australia, India, & South America - so the online platform is brilliant.
As a previous MYOB user (& lover of MYOB), I was surprised with the ease of transition from MYOB to Xero.
I also really enjoy how easy it is to link client card files noting the company directors, primary contacts, banking details etc. Very easy to view all the information in one place! Love being able to send the BAS' from Xero as well with a click of the button, and being able to modify & tweak great templates is a MUST.

Cons

One thing that is very challenging, is if the Xero team are not getting back to you as promptly as you need, there is NO phone number to talk to someone. This (for the accounting industry) can be a big let down at times. Normally, the Customer Help is very prompt.
Still trying to find an adequate solution so that if I upload a file in my XPM, the rest of my team can view these files. Despite trying and following Xero's suggestions, my team members are still not able to view the documents I've uploaded. We'll get there in the end I'm sure.