Descript

Transcription management and video & audio editing software

4.7/5
4.6/5
4.6/5
4.5/5

Nathan C.

Potential game changer for podcast editing

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

The concept is amazing and could save hours on a podcast edit…
but, it just doesn't work correctly or as you would expect a lot of the time. Once the automated transcription improves and the workflow stabilizes, this could potentially replace the various tools I use to edit audio and video.

Pros

The ability to edit an interview or podcast just by editing the text is incredible.
The workflow is fairly straight forward – import audio file, choose how to transcribe, wait…, edit the transcript & audio in various ways, export or publish as needed.

Cons

The automated transcription is good, but not great. There are always little errors that seem obvious to a human – capitalize the first letter in a sentence, don't capitalize a word in the middle of a sentence, abbreviate doctor as Dr. when a name follows, etc. – and they seem to always show up, even when they've been corrected previously, so it's unclear whether the 'machine' is actually 'learning'.
The app appears to not be built as a native app for macOS which means it lacks certain core features. The most annoying to me is that the window always opens in the default size (i.e. small) and never remembers the sizing or positioning that I choose every time I open it.
The developers are rapidly adding features, but almost too quickly. Once I get used to a feature or function, it doesn't take long for the menu item to be changed or moved (Share, Export, Publish all do similar–though different–things, and have each had their turn as a unique menu item or being grouped together in various ways). I got very efficient at correcting the transcription (which, unfortunately, must be done frequently) until they changed the entire process of editing the transcript.

Rev and Otter

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Descript has the potential to do it all – transcribe, edit, publish – for one subscription.
Rohit J.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Most amazing audio editing tool I’ve used in 20 years

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

I love editing audio and video again. I feel like I’m editing a taking Word Document. Simply amazing. Try it and you won’t go back to editing only using a waveform.

Pros

This is a whole new way to edit audio and video content. I love the fact that there are frequent updates and new features. Simply amazing to edit content.

Cons

Not much in terms of audio processing. No noise reduction, etc.

Adobe Audition

Reasons for Choosing Descript

Audition was getting to be too expensive as part of the CC Suite.

Adobe Audition

Reasons for Switching to Descript

At the time I chose it because of price. But when I used the free version I was hooked and signed up for a paid version.
Daniel W.
  • Industry: Media Production

Transformative product with lots of bugs to work through

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

We save tons of time with Descript. It also helps us collaborate as producers (it's so easy to jump into a project and help with a specific subtask). It also helps us collaborate with external stakeholders, like clients or consultants. They can see the progress, provide feedback in a simple way and even write into it if we give them that access.

Pros

Editing text instead of audio has revolutionized my company's workflow. We make podcasts and it has saved us tons of time to use Descript for highly produced shows. It doesn't really help with weekly shows that require minimal editing and fast turnarounds. But for months-long narrative projects, it is so incredibly easy to edit text linked to audio and then script around that. We then export to Audition or Protools to mix and score. But having this step along the way saves many hours of time and improved collaboration with internal and external people.

Cons

It's really buggy! Things stop working frequently. Then Descript fixes it. Then there's another bug. I have faith that they'll get to a point where I'm not running into bugs every week or every few days, but it is frustrating for now.

Juma B.

One of most powerful tools for video creation

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Captioning for one. Transcripts for content repurposeing. Fast video output.

Pros

I got this tool for captioning initially, now I use it for all my videos. It's easy to use and the support was good. I also found creative ways to use the timeline to animate images. The control over audio gain, compression etc.

Cons

No COPY and PASTE function for video clips.
How clips are pinned is still a bit of a mystery to me.
Inability to save editing templates.
No green screen support.
Why do clips shorten from the back?

Marissa F.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Game Changer for Audio Editors

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

I think the biggest change is that it makes my podcast editing experience more enjoyable. I feel more in touch with what I’m putting out into the world, and better able to edit and parse it. Despite my tech proficiency, I struggle with the frequent UI changes and have yet to make the audio recording feature work, so I have to import my audio from another program; if there were fuller audio controls I could really make it a one-stop shop for my podcast creation.

Pros

I was skeptical that editing audio in this way would result in a good-sounding podcast, but it has made the editing process so much clearer. Lots of great little features enable me to make content that I can push to socials as well!

Cons

The software frequently updates with significant changes to where things are placed and stored and no explanation of these changes. The auto-transcription is riddled with errors that it’s a little tedious to correct. Too many features are behind a SECOND tier paywall. Some of these things I get (the high-tech voice generation feature seems with extra money) but it seems odd that as a paying subscriber I can’t, say, replace the Descript logo in my audiograms.

Mark B.

Game Changing Audio Editor

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Pros

Descript has changed how I work in documentary audio. It's so much faster and easier to try new story ideas, pull selects, and get a rough mix ready. I've used the app since pre-release in 2017, and they've added great new features at a relentless pace. I can't imagine working without a tool like Descript.

Cons

With new features, the app has gotten more sluggish and more cluttered. Writing text makes my laptop get extremely hot and the fans rev up. I can't work for long on battery power. A release focused on speed, stability, resource efficiency, and cleaning up the interface is sorely needed.

Andrew H.
  • Industry: Research

My favorite software - Works great and it's fun to use

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

They have a product called overdub which is really fun to use. I highly recommend it.

Pros

This really helps me get my job done,. It's fun to use, too. Great video editing tool and to make content from interviews.

Cons

I'd say my only criticism is the support is slow. But you will be able to figure it all out for yourself. And there YT videos are the perfect way to learn

Sen Z.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Huge timer saver, with some details to be improved

Reviewed on 24/06/2021

I'm happy to use this software for everything to do with speech editing - it saves an enormous amount of time in post-production, and also allows editing as you record. I was disappointed by the Overdub feature - still lots of improvements to be made in terms of natural-sounding speech, but I'm sure this is being improved with each iteration.

Pros

Using the transcription to edit audio and video completely changes the game - so much time is saved by being able to use the text to guide exactly when to clip.

Cons

Responsiveness is still a bit laggy, and compared to other multi-track editors, this still feels at times unwieldy. Transcriptions could also be more accurate, as going through and changing them can take quite a lot of time.

Melissa K.

As easy as video editing gets, if you've never edited videos before, this is it

Reviewed on 12/02/2021

Unparalleled to anything I've ever use and in awe of how well it works every time I use it. Can't wait to see how this solution evolves.

Pros

There is absolutely nothing in this world that is easier to use than Descript. It has saved me HOURS of work compared to Camtasia (which is really complicated and hard to learn). You can cut parts out of the video by deleting words from a transcript that Descript automatically generates, and remove filler words (um, ah) with a single click. The final video is better than when I use Camtasia to cut things down to the millisecond. It's a genius piece of software and everyone should try it.

Cons

There are a lot of features I know I'm not utilizing enough.

Lisa T.

Gamechanger towards efficiency

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Overall, Descript has made our podcast work flow tons more efficient and can't express how grateful I am for this because podcasting is sooooo much work for a solo practice who doesn't have the budget to farm anything out (except to my husband occasionally, as he's willing and free labor!).

Pros

I adore that we can edit our podcast audio and transcript at the same time with Descript! Saves soooo much time. Love that they also make such regular improvements based on customer needs. Great customer service, great product!

Cons

It sometimes is a little glitchy/laggy the longer I'm working in it, but a restart usually fixes it

• Industry: Media Production

Amazing tool that is indispensable for our team!

Reviewed on 23/06/2021

Descript's team is always updating the product and improving it. They're extremely responsive with customer support as well!

Pros

Descript is extremely UX friendly and easy to adopt for our team members.

Cons

This is a technological barrier, but the transcription always has room for improvement!

Rachel C.
  • Industry: Online Media

Such a fan!

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

I've recommended it over and over for ease of editing to new podcasters.

Pros

I love the text editing feature. It makes it so much easier to edit visually which is great and easy.

Cons

The user interface is different than most standard audio editors so there is a learning curve.

Carl G.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

SMOOTH Audio Editing

Reviewed on 24/06/2021

I've been able to edit audio a lot faster which means faster turn around on my VO project and a lot less friction from starting a project to completion. I used to dread jumping into Adobe Audition to record and edit files for Voice Over. Descript is a lot smoother.

Pros

The quick auto transcription was really a game-changer for editing audio.

Cons

There was a little learning curve for figuring out playback, but they've since fixed it.

Katie B.

Gave me hours of my life back

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Best experience with a cloud editing software out there.

Pros

Being able to edit long-form interviews (podcast or film) was painful before Descript. It took hours to sift through the recording and cut / piece together a final cut. Descript takes away the cumbersome nature of editing completely.

Cons

The Sequence feature is still a mystery to me. I'm not sure why there is a composition and a sequence option, but I do see the difference. I think it would make more sense to have them combined. The sequence feature has a long way to go - normally I just export the composition into Final Cut Pro when I need to add titles or broll.

Kay R.

Mind-Blowing

Reviewed on 24/07/2021

Pros

The interface is so well-executed that it actually makes editing fun!

Transcribing my videos so then I can have closed captions and also a Blog is something that I was doing anyway. But then adding in video editing... and overdubbing... are you kidding me?! this is an industry game changer.

Cons

I had a problem once where the video wouldn't export. But the customer service jumped in right away and was very helpful. and the program is so well designed that I figured it out by myself before the customer service even return to my email within the next hour.

Randy P.

Swiss Knife for Media Creation

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Pros

I like the ease of use of this software as well as of course the fast transcription processes.

Cons

Finding help is sometimes extremely slow from the team.

Jen E.
  • Industry: Online Media

Easy to Use for New Podcasters

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

My overall experience with Descript has been wonderful. I wouldn't recommend it to my new podcasting clients if it wasn't a solid product with good customer support.

Pros

I recommend Descript for my clients that are new to recording and editing podcasts because it is a simple tool for them to use to get started.

Cons

I would love to be able to use my iZotope plug-ins with it.

Asha P.

Made my life as a beginning podcaster so much easier

Reviewed on 24/06/2021

As a beginning podcaster looking to keep costs down, I found this a valuable tool to be able to get my podcasts published, sound professional and not pay $$$ for editing.

Pros

I like how intuitive it is to use. Using the transcript to edit is genius and now I don’t have to spend hours editing by voice

Cons

Small Learning curve involved. Beginner tutorials need to be easier to find

Jake G.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great for macro-level editing and podcasts

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

My overall experience has been great. It has just worked for me in all the ways I need it to, and I look forward to continue using it moving forward.

Pros

Descript works great for my workflow because it helps eliminate wasted time by automatically transcribing and giving me a starting point for audio edits. The key feature for me is the ability to automatically remove filler words. It has saved me hours of headaches and continues to improve with each software update.

Cons

Something I feel that is missing is the ability easily separate out speakers onto different tracks if they were recorded to the same mono file. This would make mixing at the end of the day much simpler.

Meghan R.
  • Industry: Program Development

Great tool, super simple

Reviewed on 23/06/2021

Great product - absolutely recommended!

Pros

Very easy to use and learn. Transcriptions are great quality, pretty accurate and ease of editing makes this a great tool to use.

Cons

Would be great if you could select more than one thing to export at a time (e.g. Transcript, video and. Srt file)

Joseph L.
  • Industry: Design
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Excellent tool for more than just captions

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

Great, and nice to see the product come along

Pros

Ease of use, and collaboration with colleagues.

Cons

Updates of features sometimes without tooltips.

April H.

I use Descript for multiple things!

Reviewed on 13/09/2021

Editing video and audio for podcasts is so much easier in Descript. I can see exactly what I am editing out and it has made my workflow about twice as fast!

Pros

I love that to edit the audio or video, you just make the edits in the transcription instead of trying to find the exact place in the audio file. Makes it so much easier! My favorite is that it can take out all the "filler words" like "um" in about 2 clicks and make the audio sound great! So much faster than how I was doing it before with having to listen and take them out one at a time.

Cons

There are constant updates to the software, about 1 a week. This can be annoying since there is always a pop-up that says you need to update and restart almost everytime I open the app. Also, if you have multiple accounts (I have multiple clients I work with), it is hard to sign out of one account and then sign into another. Not sure why this isn't straightforward, but often when I sign out of one account and then try to sign into another, it just puts me back into the same account.

• Industry: Media Production

Not yet stable enough for professional use

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Pros

This is could be a game changing piece of software. it combines transcription and audio editing into one. The option to collaborate in the cloud like a google doc opens up many possibilities. But there is one big downside....

Cons

It is not yet reliable enough. There have been two occasions in last few months where Descript just stopped working. I lost days' worth of work on broadcast critical projects.

The first time an entire project wouldn't open and just hung. That meant all of the work for an entire podcast episode was inaccessible. I contacted tech support and tweeted them. I heard nothing back. After a friday and weekend of panic and frustration, the project did open.

Perhaps stupidly, i carried on using Descript. A month or so later a Composition (their name for a document within a project) I was working on just stopped working. The error message just said press reload. But that did nothing. Because it is cloud based I had nothing on my hard drive to try and salvage. it just stopped working. i lost at least 8 hours of work. i contacted tech support and their discord server. Still haven't had a response. I had to do the work all over again.

If you work in professional audio, sadly my advice is to stay away from Descript till it gets more reliable.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

project editor for visual learners

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

Overall it's an innovative product and a lot more cost-effective than others on the market. It may not be perfect but it has helped me a lot in my projects. A clever virtual multi-tool for creators.

Pros

I like that I can edit a video based on the visual transcription, The AI and that while I'm recording I get a transcription simultaneously.

The features I desire most are a dark mode feature, a chroma key feature so I can add light overlay and animation. I would also like a pause feature added to screen recording and voice recording because I use this to help me think in between recording without stopping the session. And please fix bugs such a lagging.

And the integrations I would recommend are Audacity, Davinci Resolve, and Anchor FM because that is what I use.

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches if I am working in multiple windows and Ill get error codes. Sometimes it's hard to place tracks on the timeline, You click where you want it to go and it goes somewhere else in the project. I want some filler words to stay included and it's hard for me to figure out how to keep them. When I record audio and mess up, the overdub function doesn't pop up when I right-click. I wish the zoom and pan were smoother looking.

Chris E.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Take the frustration out of audio/video editing.

Reviewed on 28/07/2021

Pros

I love that Descript makes editing video and audio content so easy. And the transcriptions are so accurate it's scary! This software has saved me countless hours but more importantly removes so many barriers that keep people from getting started with creating video and audio content.

Cons

The editor UI is a bit clunky and compressed, I feel like the editor area should be larger which might make it even easier to use.

iMovie

Reasons for Switching to Descript

Ease of use. And more adequate for what we're doing with our content.