Octopus Deploy

DevOps and configuration management solution

4.8/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
4.8/5

Nicholas

Great DevOps tool

Excellent

Pros

Easy to configure and set up all your dev ops pipelines once and then invoke them over and over, to ensure consistent and completely automated deployments.

Cons

If you use their cloud offering with many targets it can quickly become quite expensive.

Azure DevOps Services

Reasons for Switching to Octopus Deploy

Octopus Deploy had much better documentation and support making the setup process a breeze.
Cauchi
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Octopus Review - from a DevOps perspective - Used for 9+ years

Reviewed on 09/05/2022

I have been using Octopus Deploy for the past 9 years and have implemented it in over 4 different companies and have used its features extensively taking it to it limits :)

Pros

Kubernetes Deployment options and customization along with a lot of integration with different providers and tools

Cons

- Needs to Support Kubernetes CronJob deployment type (supported natively)
- Needs to have a build in option to 'Wait' for Kubernetes Job type Deployments and read its exit code
- Needs to support more Artifact Repos, such as AWS CodeArtifact
- Cloud Agent needs to be 'faster' in general and ideally caches docker layers, we have deployments taking over 10mins, pooling/starting of the cloud agent takes time and also downloading the Octopus Tools Docker images takes very long on these agents (we're not using any custom one)

GitHub, GitLab and Bitbucket

Reasons for Switching to Octopus Deploy

Its integration options with different tools and providers and its not just a "CD" tool like argoCD, it allows you to do much more - such approval process, integration with Jira, slack notifications, Cloudfront integration (just as an example) etc...
Justin

Octopus Is Pretty Solid

Reviewed on 26/01/2022

Pros

That I feel like it can do anything, or that I can do anything with it. The extensibility makes it feel like I can incorporate any deployment needs I have which is cool. We have a bunch of different applications and they're not all built the same, so it's nice to feel like there isn't any app we can't deploy with Octopus.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like I don't know what all the features are, or what features to use where. It can get confusing and sometimes I don't feel like the docs do a good enough job explaining this to me.

Ryan
  • Industry: Insurance

Does one thing really well, rather than lots of things averagely

Reviewed on 21/01/2022

Phenomenal! I'd be lost day to day without Octopus. Not only is the product itself great, but the support and advice the teams provide has been invaluable, and always really prompt.

Pros

Makes deployments, and management of VMs really simple and powerful. The API first approach also opens up lots of different ways of using Octopus

Cons

Keeping release processes in step with code changes has been difficult. I think the new configuration as code feature will solve this, but I haven't tried it yet.

Reasons for Choosing Octopus Deploy

InRelease was very clunky at the time.

Reasons for Switching to Octopus Deploy

When we first moved to Octopus Azure DevOps wasn't available, but we've stuck with Octopus through renewals as it's much better at what it does. The power, audit, and ability to carry out operations tasks via Octopus put it well ahead for our needs.
Daniel

The most convenient deployment tool I have used!

Reviewed on 21/01/2022

Octopus has been a huge resource for our team. There is so much in the way of customization with this tool, that we haven't even begun to use every functionality. However, for our needs, it has really streamlined the process of deploying our applications and recycling when needed.

Pros

The ease of setting up deployment pipelines, and future maintenance after the initial setup.

Cons

If I had a con its that there is too much customization! Not really a con, but we haven't begun to use all of the functionality Octopus offers.

Jason

Trusting the Octopod

Reviewed on 25/03/2022

Octopus handles deployments to our largest clients with multiple environments and servers. Feeling confident that I can hit a button and be sure four servers in three different countries on another continent are going to be safely updated is awesome. It saves so much time and provides reliability and confidence.

Pros

It gives me the confidence to deploy applications and updates in a reliable and repeatable way. We are a small company so our skills are spread across many roles. Having Octopus Deploy handle deployments is like having an extra, reliable team member who takes care of deployments.

Cons

I was initially confused by the terminology as I was new to CI/CD. Once I progressed past that stage there were no worries.

Reasons for Switching to Octopus Deploy

I learnt it faster and it was flexible. We could use it the way we wanted in a simple way.
Nicolas
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great tool for deployment and run automated tasks

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Great experience overall. Awesome tool to design automated tasks, really versatile. It is really easy to design a workflow with different steps and bind them together. I'm right now in the process of implementing a deployment to a Kubernetes Cluster and everything goes smooth so far. One thing I love is the support mechanism that Octopus Deploy has. Every time I have doubts or I don't know how to do something, I just ask in the community and in less than a couple of hours I get a response.

Pros

The ease of use and how versatile it is.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say at the moment. I've been using it for just a month now so I'm just getting used to it.

Harness

Reasons for Switching to Octopus Deploy

Automation and deployments in one tool, plus the cost.
Steve

Solved our deployments and is now solving our Ops tasks too

Reviewed on 21/01/2022

Octopus Deploy was a key tool in taking our company from folk-developer roots to being a high-performing technical heavy hitter. Not only did we claim back people-hours from our previous deployment processes, we also started deploying more frequently - letting our customers use features as soon as they are ready rather than gathering together months of work in a big release.

Pros

Octopus Deploy makes it really easy to automate software deployments. It handles the variables for different environments and just works with minimal fuss. It's really easy to use.

Cons

We haven't experienced any issues with Octopus Deploy.

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Octopus - when deployment becomes easier every day

Reviewed on 21/01/2022

Very good. I realy like this tool I dont how much experience with others, but i am happy my company is using this one. I think o know this well.

Pros

Easy to use. Fast. I think its reliable. Most of the things are straightforward. I like the way portal is build, where options are etc.

Cons

Basically we can improve each part but hard to recall. For example if i am in variables, maybe some compare functions ? Whenever i work with with varaibles, lots of libraries, sometimes it becomes hard. Also why i can leave empty scope, and everyone can updated ?? this is a security bridge i think. I dont like when octopus is loosing connection (* health check). Sometimes i have issues with the service. Even if se to automatic, it doesnt start after windows server reboot. When i pick a lot of machines during deployment ( target ) would be nice to type like in the search, or role attachment, just a names or like *name. When i have lots of machines to exclude would be easier. nothing very urgent. Process creation - adding steps, moving, sometimes but irritating. You know to know the tricks. What would be awesome - interacive checks. Like i attach a role in the process and a message that currently not attached or a variable and some hints. Adding description to the variables could be easier. I realy dont like that when i do even a small change in the process i edit a script or something i have to create a new release. Audit log could be improved. I alredy shared my ideas on the previous page. I guess integration with AWS maybe could be more usefull.

David
  • Industry: Market Research

Excellent product

Reviewed on 09/05/2022

Simply fantastic, a must have part of web development for me. This product simplifiies release procedure. so now we can release many times a day if we want.
So for example releasing to our test environments are now fully automated. (This probably happens 10 times a day)

Pros

Octpus Deploy is a very simple concept that is elegantly executed.
I really like the ability to configure releases, (they can be either simple or complex). Once configured, it's then a very simple process to move a release from one environment to another.
Octopus Deploy does not dictate infrastructure, so it's up to you as to what environments etc you want. As the needs of our organization has changed so has the release process. Octopus Deploy is straight forward and simple to configure.
The ease of use of creating releases. . I love the fact that Octopus Deploy removes any drama about releasing or "rollbacking" software. It just works.

Cons

Not a big fan of version immutability, but I understand it and have accepted it.

Stephen

Continuous Delivery at Massive Scale

Reviewed on 30/11/2021

I absolutely love Octopus Deploy! I have been able to successfully implement it, at extreme scale, in a fortune 4 company and save our developers many thousands of hours of wasted time delivering their applications to on-premise datacenters, cloud service providers and more!

Pros

- We had a working POC of Octopus in 2015 in about 1-2 days. Its even easier to use now with the latest getting started features.
- Integration is key when it comes to CD. Octopus is very easy to integrate with other tooling be it through RestAPIs, CLIs, etc. If it can be scripted Octopus can integrate with it!
- Has first class support for all the major Cloud Service Providers (Azure, GCP, AWS, etc.)
- Support and Customer Solution Teams are tier 1. They have helped us to many times to count. Very quick at responding as well! Usually under 2 hour response time no matter the time of day.
- Highly saleable architecture supporting many thousands of projects.

Cons

- Needs more features around assessing the health of deployments after they happen. Both visual indicators (like graphs/metrics) and functional indicators like rules to automatically rollback or progress. This could be by tapping into other tools like Splunk or other wise.
- Needs native support for ServiceNow (especially for large Enterprise customers)
- AzureAD based authentication and authorization agility in the tools needs a bit more polish. Especially when used in larger organizations.
- No ability to set announcement/informational messages on the login page to instruct users in more complex authentication scenarios.

Andrew
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Best CD tool I have ever used.

Reviewed on 26/01/2022

We would not be able to function without it at this point. It helps release management team stay in sync, it automated our deployments so DevOps does not have to work so hard. It is focused on deployment, Jenkins is not strong in this regard, so it was a big win there.

Pros

I love how easy it is to set up projects and the visibility that this tool offers. I liked it so much that I brought it over to my new organization. I have been using this tool for about 4 years now and have seen the gambit with it. Deployments were a mess before we introduced this in both companies. I love the Tenent feature, that really changed the world for me. Customer/Production management became a breeze at that point.

Cons

There are some things I do not like about octopus, but they are not deal breakers. The view can some times get a little wonky when you are changing releases and pushing different versions all the time, and the "view" can become out of sync with reality.

Laura

Highly recommended

Reviewed on 01/07/2022

Since a few months there's now this feature called "config as code" where all deployment steps are commitet to a given git repository. It made it very easy to configure new projects for our microservice environment using this configuration as a template.

Pros

We startet with continuous deployment with octopus, it was really easy do deploy our IIS Applications on mutiple environments. The deployments can easily be triggered from our CI plattform (TeamCity) and/or manual with user confirmation.
In combination with Jira, every changes with each package are displayed during deployment making it easy to track when did any change reach the server

Cons

Despite there are a lot of build in steps, unfortunately a "rollback" step does not exist (or we haven't found it yet) thus implementing a rollback strategy must be done manually via script or manual. This could be a helpful improvement, to enable an automatic rollback in case any error occurs during deployment

• Industry: Research

Octopus Deploy is an exceptional deployment orchestration solution

Reviewed on 05/12/2021

Excellent! I really like this product and it makes my life easier as far as deployments go. I would highly recommend it!

Pros

I have found Octopus Deploy to be a very well thought out and intuitive deployment orchestration system. It is very easy to use and quite simple to get started. Originally it was focused on .net / Windows platforms but now can be used to deploy anything to Windows or Linux. We use it for both. It is a very stable, reliable and easy to use product and I highly recommend it.

Cons

For many years my organisation has been given a free community licence as a not-for-profit, but this is now changing and we will have to pay starting 2022. Even so, I think it is still worth the money by a long shot.

The only issue we have at the moment is we need to upgrade to a newer SQL Server version to support the latest version of Octopus Deploy as there is some security vulnerability in older versions. Due to Microsoft licensing and infrastructure issues, this is dragging on and we are trapped on a certain version for now.

Bill
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Octopus is a distinguished deployment orchestration product

Reviewed on 26/01/2022

There has not been an organization I have worked with that has not benefitted from the usage of Octopus

Pros

Extensibility and customizability without overwhelming the admins and users, this is a well thought out product

Cons

Lack of config as code has been a sore spot, please get this to GA ASAP

Complete ease of use
Viktor

Good for DevOps

Reviewed on 21/01/2022

Pros

Easy to use for deployments on different environments.

Cons

The blue Octopus icon looks strange for me.

Sam
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Octopus Deploy becomes part of the family

Reviewed on 11/11/2021

Simply the best tool in its field for (particularly Windows) deployments.

Pros

Octo Deploy have thought about everything involved in software deployment, and have either implemented it, are improving its implementation, or its on the roadmap. It is incredibly user-friendly, but also has serious depth if you need to work edge cases. The software itself is really well written and easy to operate and maintain.

Cons

I've never quite got the Users vs Teams setup...its not clear where you start - do you add a User to a Team first? Or add a User to the Org first? Or invite them?

Stephane
  • Industry: Food Production

Thanks to create Octopus. You changed my life.

Reviewed on 09/05/2022

Thanks to Octopus, the deployments are easy. Before, we worked during several hours to do some complex deployments. Now it is only 15 minutes. If necessary, The rollbacks are easy. We gain in quality and security. A strong trust with business is now etablished. You can deploy more often and without risk. It helps us to be agile. Thanks Octopus.

Pros

Continous deployment and version control

Cons

It will be interesting to link Octopus and Service Now to have a complete feedback and tickets were updated automatically when a release have been deployed. I see it in your roadmap so impatient :-)

Eric

No prior devops experience needed.

Reviewed on 09/05/2022

I manage around 600 projects for five business units in our corporation.

Pros

While I don't have anything else to compare it to and I didn't have any prior DevOps experience, I was able to quickly get up to speed and become fairly self-sufficient in little time. Granted there was a prior admin and he was available to answer questions so I wasn't completely in the dark. But the ease of use and the docs on Octopus.com have been paramount to keeping everything running smoothly.

Cons

I can't really pinpoint anything particular at this moment.

Matthew

Flexible DevOps tool for all of our products

Reviewed on 02/12/2021

We have been able to full automate out software packaging and deployment process for our product development team, allow for faster turnaround for the QA team and traceable deployments to our AWS environments.

Pros

We are able to use octopus deploy across all of our technology stacks from Kubernetes to Salesforce. It has helped bridge the automation from developers to QA.

Cons

For salesforce we needed to create out own scripts for deployment automation. Octopus is super flexible so any thing you can script in Powershell it can handle.

Christian
  • Industry: Utilities

My review title

Reviewed on 09/05/2022

We saved a lot of time and enabled more persons to do a system update in production. Runbooks enabled the support team to do way more than they could do before and thus helped us developers do more development work.

Pros

In fact the UI was convincing very much. It was quick and easy to install and configure it to have a first demo working. It is very obvious that it is a well-designed and established product.

Cons

As with all the tools in that domain, it is hard to debug or simulate a deployment process. So sometimes it was a quite tedious task to fiddle around with variables and scripts until at the end everything's finally working as it should.

Simon

Octopus Deploy - Makes releases simple

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

Octopus Deploy has been a positive experience, It has helped out team make deployments easy and simple.

Pros

* Octopus easily integrates with TeamCity
* Provides flexible & powerful deployment configuration options
* Allows easy reproducible deployments across environments & target servers

Cons

* Configuration can be challenging - particularly with Azure
* Some options are hidden behind several menus
* Inconsistent locations for various settings

Justin
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Octopus Review #1

Reviewed on 26/01/2022

Pros

The ease of use and design is really well done. I also really like the community step template library, people really seem to make good use of it and I get all the benefits.

Cons

The only thing that I can thing of right now is that you can't export variables. That would be very helpful for copying things from one place to another when it's not quite able to be put into a variable set

Dani
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Greta project with a great community

Reviewed on 26/01/2022

Pros

Extremely easy to use. Great community that is very active. Great and fast customer support. Octopus is continuously evolving and adding new features. extremely frequent webinars that help users make the most of the platform

Cons

When creating processes and having errors, it is sometime a bit difficult to debug the pipeline without having to run the full cycle

Douglas
  • Industry: Insurance

It's Pretty Good, Folks

Reviewed on 01/07/2022

Great tool. It is extremely useful for any dev team to have.

Pros

I can automatically deploy packages from TFS to all the appropriate servers.

Cons

I can only set up one environment for automatic deployment within the tool. (There are ways to achieve this using Octopacks, though.)