New Relic

Jonathan
  • Industry: Design

New Relic Offers Simple-to-Set-Up Server Monitoring

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

New Relic is a great product/service that is extremely powerful and easy to use. They even have iOS/Android apps to stay up-to-date on server stats while away from your desk.

Pros

I love how easy it was to get the New Relic agent installed on my Digital Ocean server. Within minutes it was piping in data to their dashboard.

Cons

Making sense of the mountain of data is challenging. It takes time and effort to figure out what all the data means and how it can be useful to your organization. It is well worth the effort though.

Leon

Great tool for tracking the performance and health of our platform

Reviewed on 04/06/2021

I am using the web interface and the app multiple times a day to quickly see how the application is performing. The notifications in case of disruptions are convenient and very helpful.

Pros

It's clean and simple to setup and gives a great dashboard which helps get a quick overview of the performance of our SaaS application.

Cons

When using multiple modules on a bigger infrastructure it can get quite expensive. However we only use the basic version which gives us all the info we need.

AppDynamics

Reasons for Switching to New Relic

New relic was cheaper and easier to implement.
Manjeet

Good product but has potential to be the best in market

Reviewed on 11/10/2022

Pros

It is pretty easy to integrate with the cloud regardless of provider

Cons

Native app analytics could be mich better

Dylan

Worse each year

Reviewed on 07/11/2020

I've used New Relic for 6+ years across 3 different companies including my own. Overall they seem to be going downhill each year, sadly along with many tech companies now. Seem to be entrenched in their industry, trying to hound customers for more money each year, but simultaneously providing less value and no innovation. Meanwhile, many other companies provide many of their features with higher quality and for free. I've recently switched some things to AWS and other services because they are cheaper and more reliable.

Pros

Has monitoring specific to the programming languages and database servers that we use

Cons

Cost is extremely high compared to the value of the service being provided. Many of the features can be found on other platforms for free or cheap.

The designers and developers are clearly bad or mediocre. Entire platform is wrought with bugs and decisions about UI and configuration that make no sense and do not actually help the users of the product. They have done multiple revamps of the UI, which I am actually totally fine with in general because I am happy to learn new things, but they simply have not been improvements. Just a reshuffling, often with added work required from me for no benefit, plus features that no longer work.

Even lowest tier email support apparently requires paying more than $2000 per year. I was legitimately astounded when I discovered this. I already pay through the nose for this software, and when I tried to file a support request they informed me I had to post in the community. Really??? $2000 per year isn't enough to respond to one measly email support request? I give email support for free for all of my customers, even ones who don't pay, because I legitimately want to make my products as good as possible.

Michael

One Stop Server/App/Website/etc Monitoring

Reviewed on 29/05/2022

Pros

I love this product! I have always had the free tier and it has so much many features. I don't know how they do so much for the free tier. I use the realtime app monitoring (APM) the most, to see current traffic as well as checking for slow apis and why they are slow. The second most used tool is to monitor my actual server (Host). Then of course I can't forget the essential and anxiety removing notification system that will tell me as soon as whatever I don't want to happen and set up an alert for, happens. This has saved me and my customers a few times already. Thank you for a great product! :)

Cons

I would love to upgrade to the paid version, but, so far, it is too expensive. I wish there were a starter tier, or even a supporter/love your product tier.

• Industry: Hospitality
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

UI/UX and Pricing models have improved but deployment is a nightmare

Reviewed on 24/08/2022

We had evaluated NewRelic several years ago but the product was too complex and unstable. At the time, pricing had also became very complex and it was hard to predict how much you would pay.

We were excited to give it another try, and were happily surprised by the improvements, both in terms of pricing transparency and UI/UX (only if you use the "new" design though).

However, once we started the deployment, and despite the fact we were having a very simple infrastructure (Linux + PHP + MySQL + Node), it became a nightmare. The agent installation was buggy, multiple services were not discovered properly. We had to install the MySQL agent manually, and the step-by-step guide was outdated. After a successful installation, we still did not receive any MySQL-related data.

After all these headaches, we decided to part ways with NewRelic, but then discovered you cannot actually close your account online. Instead, you have to go through a knowledge-base, and kindly ask assistance from a moderator (e.g. you don't even have access to a Support ticket system).

Our understanding is that NewRelic did their best to revamp their product but they are suffering from 10 years of product additions/modifications and most likely the only way to resolve that would be for them to start a brand new product from scratch or acquire a smaller player in the space who gets it.

Pros

- Clearer and unified pricing, easier to understand than other platforms
- "Clean" UI if you use their new design

Cons

- Deployment was a total nightmare
- Documentation is not up-to-date
- Can't close your Account nor reach out to Support to do so
- Uninstall guide is incomplete and actually messed up with our systems

Reasons for Switching to New Relic

Pricing transparency
Mahipal Singh
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

New Relic One Review

Reviewed on 12/07/2022

With the help of the Real-Time Monitoring feature, we keep our business application online.

Pros

Real-time monitoring and application performance management are the best feature which I like most in this application. With the help of Real-Time monitoring, the team will get informed by the system if anything goes wrong in the system like the system down. So, the team can quickly fix the issue and make the system online.
Application Performance management helps developers to know where they have to focus in the system to make the system more efficient, reliable and scalable.

Cons

As of now, I don't have anything which I don't like in this software. We keep exploring the available functionality in the New Relic.

Evert

Nice monitoring tool with extensive analysis options.

Reviewed on 11/05/2022

Pros

It is possible to do a in depth analysis in case of a performance problem in our software. This saves us time and we are able to deliver the solution to our users faster. Afterwards we can monitor based on data if the solution actually works.

Cons

Pretty steap pricing model if you want your developers to use most of the features.

Burak

A great monitoring tool

Reviewed on 08/07/2022

We are using New Relic in our services to track errors, bugs and to monitor the overall APIs. Thanks to New Relic, we can find issues before its late, optimize our queries, slow endpoints and etc... Usage of New Relic One is really diverse in terms of an application and in my opinion it is essential.

Pros

Integration with the services is really easy. You can integrate New Relic to your application written in almost any language for monitoring it.

Cons

The user interface is not that simple and understanding. Thus, full utilization of New Relic One is not that easy for administrators and developers. It has a steep learning curve.

Josh

New Relic is a great way to keep track of website performance

Reviewed on 07/07/2022

It's been really helpful using New Relic to monitor our websites and servers.

Pros

Front and back-end monitoring. Customizable dashboard and alerts.

Cons

Some JS overhead when in use. Can be tricky to focus in on different parts of the site.

Best Application monitoring tool around !!

Reviewed on 04/02/2021

Pros

Ease of use is the best feature about this tool, you can get started with very minimal training. Dashboarding perfromance report capability is also good, helps us to keep on top of our applications perfromance. Another feature that we love is the integration with Jira which enabled auto-creating of tickets on violation of certain thresholds. Overall, this is used by developer community on daily basis.

Cons

The licensing is per node, whcih makes it expensive to turn it on non-prod infra. I hope this changes in future.

AppDynamics
Stanislav
  • Industry: Hospitality

The right APM tool that can save your day

Reviewed on 16/09/2021

Pros

- easy to install and use;
- great APM features, helps a lot with troubleshooting slow transactions with great insights on application traces;
- nicely done alerts system;
- ability to create your own dashboards;
- team is improving UX on a regular basis;
- community support;

Cons

- expensive;
- has some minor bugs on the UI, sometimes pages seem to be unresponsive;
- learning curve could be high for not experienced developers;

Gagan

Good tool to monitor your application and it's performance

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

We're using NewRelic to monitor our application's performance. It's a great tool and it provides plenty of features in a free version as well but if your application is big you might need an upgrade.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that it provides really good deep insights. They provide a feature called 'VM' it provides information regarding garbage collection, heap, memory allocations, object allocations etc.

Error insights and alerts helps you to stay updated with what is currently happening with your application. Their app is also good which provide same features. So, even if you're travelling you can get insights directly on your phone.

Appdex score, RPM and other parameters really help in finding bottlenecks and optimising it.

It also tells which database query is taking more time and which is taking the least & which part of your application is taking more time which actually helps you in building an efficient application.

Cons

Sometimes, the metrics they provide in the VM section seems incorrect, although hard refreshing the page solves this problem.

Darshan

One stop solution for all your APM need

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

I been working with New Relic for quite a while now i am not able to find any replacement for it till now

Pros

Relic is one of the best Application performance management tool available in market, It helps Application support team to review the performance of application and suggest the best way to optimize it

Cons

New Relic is an enterprise tool which means it comes with licensing cost which makes it tough for small scale business owners to buy the license

Ben

Can't live without it

Reviewed on 12/12/2016

New Relic provides much-needed visibility and monitoring for our application's performance. With a ton of insights into how the elements of our application interact, New Relic has helped us tune the experience for our users and identify potentially disastrous issues before they become problems.

Pricing is can be a challenge, though. If you have a highly distributed server model, their per-server pricing can be prohibitive. As long you fit in their model, it really can save your hide and help your business.

Pros

New Relic is a critical part of our infrastructure and has saved our hide on several occasions.
Very flexible
Easy to get started and use
Basic server monitoring is included with application monitoring - really nice
Tons of integrations
If you have a problem, you will get support - it may take a while to find the right person, but you can even talk to the engineers who built the part of their service you are using.

Cons

We've had a ton of reps we've dealt with - very little continuity
Though the base features are great, it's easy to spend a LOT of extra money on other features. Sometimes it feels like one of those "free-to-play" games where you are tempted to spend money at every turn.

Daniel Mario

Good enough monitoring

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

Overall positive, but it could be improved with better and more intuitive configuration and more flexible pricing.

Pros

I like how we can centralize and customize all our monitoring, get alerted when anything goes down, including servers, processes etc. We can also keep an eye on the performance of our web application and detect problems before they become serious. Takes a little setting up but it's very helpful.

Cons

The page where it runs often hangs and needs to be reloaded. The setup can be tricky, removing assets is also kind of complicated and not very intuitive. Seems to me a little bit pricey, I wouldn't mind a base price close to what we pay and then having the ability to add or remove assets easily and for a lower extra price. I currently keep all the testing and staging infrastructure out of this because it would cost too much to have it on.

Pieter-Jan

Peace of mind for your production environment.

Reviewed on 03/10/2016

New Relic gives us the ability to monitor both our cloud servers, backend services and frontend applications. It alerts us when resources are scarce or when the application reaches a treshold of errors. As a bonus for paid accounts, you also get the ability to trace down into the code to see if there is a specific bottleneck in your application. It even has the ability to trace the queries to databases or external services.
It's alerting system can be integrated in a variety of other tools like Slack, pagerduty, Geckoboard, ...
By using New Relic, we have regained peace of mind because we know New Relic will alert us before things start to go wrong.
If you are looking for a monitoring / alerting solution, it's definitely worth checking out!

Pros

Application traces.
Transaction level monitoring and alerting.
Availability monitoring.
Integration in other tools (Geckoboard).

Cons

None so far.

Dilraj
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

System analytics made easy!

Reviewed on 20/07/2019

Overall experience was really good with us identifying the system bottlenecks using New Relic and then optimizing those and checking their improved performance in New Relic again.

Pros

New Relic can be used to monitor system performance by integrating it with your system, written in any programming language, so that New Relic can gather variety of system metrics available. The APIs being used in the system can be profiled using New Relic or be it the queries happening on the system database. This analysis can later help in optimising the system performance by making sure all these slow api hits or db queries are working efficiently.

Cons

User interface of New Relic can be enhanced and made more user friendly for new users so that they can start their system analysis straightaway without having to get familiar with the UI first.

Performance Monitoring made easy

Reviewed on 20/07/2020

I would rate my experience with New Relic as very good. It's easy to setup and use with the exception of a little learning curve about all the corners where information is stored. I highly recommend New Relic.

Pros

The feature I enjoy the most about new relic is their individualize transaction monitoring from ruby threads to JVM processes. The Transaction/full system monitoring new relic offers can make any developer feel like a super hero with debugging/speeding up queries and processes or anything at all.

Cons

To me the UI can sometimes be a bit complicated where you can find information. The New Relic UI is mostly a single page application with multiple layers you have to click into. This is nice for some but sharing links is often not possible because of where you have to click to get to the same information.

Niraj
  • Industry: Events Services

Simple and intuitive tool with necessary insights for any application

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Pros

Gives simple and detailed performance insights for each part of your application or environment and that too in real-time! Great that it highlights errors and issues down to the line number in the code. Makes the job really simple to troubleshoot and fix issues. Setting up timely email to get updates about the performance is a good feature for managers to have.

Cons

The paid version is too expensive for a medium scale startup like us. It may be worthwhile when looking to scale things up to a great extent. Also the tool may be overwhelming for a new user since it provides loads of information at once. For the free user there's no one to give an onboarding tour or a demo, so that may turn off some new joinees.

Max

Know the issue before your customer

Reviewed on 12/03/2019

Together with Zabbix, New Relic enables us to detect and fix issues on our production servers faster.
Insightful reports help to analyze the efficiency of our updates: we can see whether the update fixed the performance issue it was supposed to or not, and perform analysis of our codebase in long retrospect.

Pros

- Integration with our technology stack helps us to set up monitoring for most critical issues in our software;
- Integration with Zabbix allows to push errors to our OPS team communication channels and fix issues before customers have to notice and report the issue to support.

Cons

Nothing in particular, New Relic does a great job of monitoring KPIs for our SaaS app.

kalaiselvan
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

New Relic Review

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Overall, it is a good monitoring system to identify the bottle necks on the systems effectively.

Pros

New Relic can be used to monitor system performance effectively in the enterprise systems.

It gives better visibility on number of API Hits with Success and Failure Counts.

It helps to have the centralized monitoring systems for all the servers, processors and API's.

we can set up a prompt alert for the SLA failure on the performance of any API's or Processors.

Data visualization on the success and error rate shows the clear picture on the performance.

Cons

Licensing is too expensive.

Some time page hangs up and we need to reload the page.

It focus only on the software's. would like to have hardware performance monitoring.

Awesome, well rounded real-time monitoring suite

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

Pros

This software package does it all! I'm mostly using APM, insights and infrastructure functionality. APM is standard APM, works great. Insights are really interesting - you can figure out some weird issues much easier when you have access to a lot of data - and easy way to process/query it. Infrastructure functionality is great for keeping track of all of your servers.

Cons

Not much. There are two views for errors in APM (old and new one). Sometimes it's a pain to switch between those - hopefully they will get merged soon.

Monitoring for Applications and Systems

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

We like and use New Relic, but it is no longer our only monitoring solution, as we need to use several tools to hit all of the needs that it once hit on its own.

Pros

New Relic provides great insight into what our applications are doing in real time, from traffic through to code timings.

Cons

New Relic's business model has gotten in the way of their product. Several features we used daily were sunset and their replacements were hidden behind new billing models. In the time since we have started using New Relic we have paid no less, but lost several features.

James

Allowed us to get more insight into errors that would have been difficult to understand.

Reviewed on 11/09/2017

Insight into how the software stack is performing. It also shows us certain errors or slow downs that we'd have no other way of seeing.

Pros

I like the professional nature of the software and the in-depth inspection of how our software stack works it surfaces. It makes certain classes of issues much easier to see.

Cons

I used to really not like the cost of the service when accessing them as a startup. I believe they've found a price point that makes sense some of the time. It is still hard to understand the model if you are using it outside of a SaaS provider.