Blackboard Learn Reviews

Blackboard Learn

Write a Review!
A marketing-leading LMS for education, biz, gov, and more.

4.1/5
4.1/5
3.9/5
4.0/5

Abhuday
Abhuday
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Easy and flexible learning management system.

Reviewed on 16/04/2023

Students are satisfied with it.

Students are satisfied with it.

Pros

It has very strong and fast customer support service.

Cons

It's bit costly and there are no free version.

Moodle

Reasons for Choosing Blackboard Learn

More features are there in Blackboard.

Google Classroom
Wassim
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Blackboard Learn: The Leading LMS Platform for Higher Education

Reviewed on 17/07/2023

Very great experience. I rely on Blackboard Learn in managing all my online/face-to-face courses. I also rely on it in providing training sessions, tutorials, and office hours.

Pros

I have been using Blackboard Learn to support my undergraduate and graduate university courses. I mainly use it to flexibly:1. Post course lecture notes and recorded videos.2. Post assignments and manage their submission policies and due dates3. Conduct exams and quizzes4. Post grades to students and link it to Banner to be on the University database system5. Use many tools such as Blackboard Collaborate to conduct video conferencing sessions and office hours with students

Cons

Creating exams and assessments can be streamlined in a better way to create questions of different types more flexibly and rapidly. I recommend having a tool to do MCQ grading (such as Gradescope) integrated in the Blackboard LMS. Moreover, integrating video editing tools into the LMS itself would be a great addition as well.

• Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Blackboard - Really clunky!

Reviewed on 05/03/2020

At our institution Bb Learn instructions sometimes don't match the local implementation.

Pros

What I like most about the software is what is is *supposed* to do: serve as a total course management system.

Cons

Everything about Blackboard is clunky — at least as it is set up in our university. Operations that should be drag and drop require multiple clicks. Nearly every function in Blackboard is present in other generic software and works more efficiently. In addition, Blackboard (as set up in our school) forces templates onto teachers, Redoing the templates into usable form takes lots of clicks.

Here are two examples of the most egregious design errors.

1. The Bb gradebook. It vaguely resembles like Excel or Google sheets in how functions. But unlike spreadsheets where one can easily duplicate columns and reassign formulas, the Gradebook requires separate multiple-menu-click operations for every column creation, every grade entry and every grade change. We find little flexibility in creating grading formulas, compared to off-the-shelf spreadsheet programs. And the import-export functions of Bb gradesheets to generic spreadsheets is so clunky that it is unusable.

2. Course duplication. Bb allows the teacher to duplicate a course. Except it doesn't really work. If you try and duplicate the course you taught in the year 2020 for use in 2021, you find that Blackboard will duplicate the general template for all university courses without importing all of the eaacher's innovations.

Rafael
Rafael
  • Industry: Higher Education

One of the best e-learning softwares for (higher) education

Reviewed on 13/07/2021

My overall experience with Blackboard Learn is amazing, since it is a platform that has all the features (and beyond) I need for higher education (as a student).
The communication and course management are just spot on.
I feel this software has a great potential and amazing capabilities and it is definitely my favorite e-learning platform. I could easily recommend it to any higher education student/teacher.

Pros

What I like the most about Blackboard Learn is the amazing and complete features it offers to its users.
I use this software for higher education (as a student) and it is very complete and reliable. I can track all my courses, appointments, works, grades, files and many more in the same place, which is perfect for me.
I also like the fact I can communicate with my teachers within this platform and the possibility to activate the email notifications for every course is a great add-up for this software.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is the User Interface (UI), as I consider the navigability could be better and the features could yet be more accessible and easier to use.
Other than that, I don't have any other "complaints" about Blackboard Learn.
I may mention that in the beginning of the pandemic, with the introduction of online classes, this software was a life-saver and my institution needed to contact the support team, who was very responsive and agile to solve all the issues at that time.

Arturo
Arturo

Your new classroom (digital)

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

The experience that Blackboard gives you is satisfactory since several other platforms, its management system between courses, and the power to upload files or open documents that teachers upload to their respective courses, are not as easy to do as in blackboard, since the software is very friendly for students like us and makes it not cost us work in performing all its functions that it gives us.

Pros

Being still a student, I love the ease with which I can move within the interface and change courses because if you have several subjects, you can easily locate them and see the content very easily. Inside the software, you can see practically everything as if it were a classroom since you can hold virtual meetings, see your content/tasks to do, see your final grades, take your final exams, etc. It is a platform that stands out for its excellence in education since the page rarely crashes or presents some difficulties.

Cons

It may be difficult at first to navigate through the different menus/pages/courses because the platform does not give us that simply look the first time we see it, as unlike its competitors in the market, this one has a slightly less friendly view. But it is rescued if for example our school/university gives us within Blackboard a small tutorial on the essentials you should know about this software.
But honestly, I do not see many cons to Blackboard because it is a platform that gives us what we are looking for and that is why it is one of the top e-learning software.

Kim

Better Learning Tool Out There

Reviewed on 09/11/2021

Overall my experience with Blackboard was not bad but since using other software I do prefer the others to Blackboard Learn.

Pros

Hosting courses on Blackboard is better than having another software. Helps with managing your class and multiple users can work together to add work to it. Integration with zoom is great and necessary. Eases the maintenance that comes with large classes for teacher assistants and professors.

Cons

So many features could be improved. We now use Canvas and prefer that to Blackboard Learn. Need more integration and more improvements on the mobile app.

Luis Carlos
Luis Carlos

Does the job and has everything you need

Reviewed on 28/12/2021

I like that it does a little bit of everything. Some other professors at my university liked to rely on BB Learn for everything, including video-conference and online exams. Being as feature rich as it is, BB Learn has the problem that the user interface might be very challenging for some people. I guess you either really like it or really don't, so when it doesn't click you can get frustrated by a lot of things. Still, for the people loving it, they will make the most out of it. One of the best tools out there. Easy to recommend for general purposes.

Pros

I like that if you're a power user and your students get into it, this is probably the only eLearning tool you will ever need. It has everything from homework assignments to actual video-conference; besides of the usual tools like forums and work groups. The online exams are very useful, specially if you don't want to manually grade tons and tons of tests.

Cons

I don't like the user interface. Most of the tools are one more click away than I think they should. Very useful things like the exams are really powerful, but creating them is so awkward that sometimes you prefer to just handle a document.

Steven
  • Industry: Medical Devices

How Blackboard Contributed to My College Success

Reviewed on 15/09/2023

Blackboard Learn is an invaluable tool for universities across the country. It removes much of the unneeded paperwork via online assignments that automatically grade themselves (which is also wonderful on the student side, receiving immediate feedback). My college experience was improved by having Blackboard in it, as I had been to schools with inferior software that was more frustrating to utilize.

Pros

Blackboard is an easy to use learning management system that eases the stress of juggling college courses for the student and professor both. Blackboard is easy to format, and very conducive to discussion between professors and students via the discussion board or the other tools provided.

Cons

When I was a college freshman, it was one of the first years my university used Blackboard. This caused a slight learning curve between the professors as they used the website the first year, which they asked for patience for. This is understandable, however, and in my sophomore-senior year the professors had a firm grasp of the program and it was not an issue.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

Blackboard Learn is a Good Tool for Students

Reviewed on 17/11/2023

Pros

Blackboard Learn is one of the easiest platforms for college students to navigate. I like that I can talk to my professors in real - time.

Cons

There was nothing I didn't like about it.

Often Replaced, But Worth a Look

Reviewed on 05/11/2023

I still use it as a backup in my other classes. It's still useful even when out of front-line service

Pros

Blackboard is often being replaced with D2L/Brightspace, including at my college. However, it comes with a number of advantages. It's relatively easy to use and includes Blackboard UltraCollaborate, which was essential during the pandemic as a remote learning tool

Cons

It tends to delete older classes without informing the professor, making it harder to use or reuse older material

Lee
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

BLACKBOARD LEARN – you don’t know how good something is until it’s gone!

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

Blackboard Learn (BBL) was much better than we knew! You don’t always have control over what tools or LMS you have to use, but if you (or someone else) think that you’d prefer a different LMS - BE CAREFUL what you wish for! I loved the Grade Book’s versatility and ability to easily download it for offline management when needed. Also, when we still had BBL (yes, ‘they’ have switched us to a different LMS) I used it for online classes and as an e-Companion to onsite classes. Loading and transferring content and tests was pretty easy. I MISS BBL!

Pros

I found that Blackboard Learn is much easier to use than other online platforms used in higher education. Being able to easily add materials and instructional documents to an online course is critical especially when a department adopts a new edition of a textbook. The quiz/test builder within Blackboard Learn is also quite user friendly and being able to export exams from a previous course and import to a future course is a real time saver!

Cons

The discussion board when entering grades can sometimes be a little confusing, trying to determine if the student is replying to a classmate’s post – especially if the student has not included the classmate’s name in their reply, but that’s really more due to a student not following instructions and not the program.

William
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Avoid this program at all costs. Use literally anything else.

Reviewed on 24/04/2020

Awful. If I had the choice, I would never use this program again. I use a different program at another college where I work, and I can say without any reservation that Blackboard is garbage. I don't know how it's priced, but I'm sure it can't be worth whatever the administrators are saving. Truly horrid, and now that most of our work is going to be online for awhile, teachers just can't afford to be hamstrung by this abysmal program any longer.
Oh, and Safe Assign is a joke. I've caught ten times more plagiarism using common sense than that thing has ever spotted. It misses almost ALL of the plagiarism I have found from my students. Ridiculously bad.

Pros

There is nothing this software does that other software doesn't do better. I like that it allows for the creation of rubrics, as all programs of this sort do. Really can't seen anything about this that is better or even as good as other programs

Cons

Whole passages of feedback will suddenly disappear if you move the mouse into the wrong area or scroll a bit while you are typing comments on the essay. This is a persistent problem that everyone in our school has verified. In order to use one editing tool (a highlighter), the program locks out the other editing tool (the comment field), unless you refresh the screen, which then erases any comments not held in place by a highlight. I could go on and on and on, but I'm afraid I'd have to type it all over again if this review field is made by the same people who made Blackboard's essay editor.

Brian
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great way to manage several classes with great flexibility to match personal style

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Overall it’s an improvement over just 20 years ago when a syllabus and careful listening were the only way to connect with students. Also, I’ve had great success sharing ideas with colleagues. Of course, faculty can be just irritating as the abovementioned students. I’d say an “ignore” buttons would make this score go from a 7 to a 9.

Pros

I love the ability to reach all of my students or any subgroup in multiple ways. For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized l.

Cons

The law of unintended consequences applies directly to blackboard. The same convenient and varied options that make the product great also give students more access (and wildly unrealistic expectations) to their professors. This is great for the 5% of students who have helpful and legitimate questions, but obnoxious for those who expect instant responses, midnight submissions, and A grades for D papers because “they clearly are trying. Just look at their blackboard logs and see!”

Angelica

Blackboard learn a way of improving virtual times

Reviewed on 09/11/2023

Overall excellent experience when familiarized with all tools even though, their continuous updates make it difficult to say that you know the platform 100 percent

Pros

Platform organization, accessibility (accessible on mobile devices), and also ensures a safe and protected learning environment.

Cons

The cost of the platform compared to other learning platforms. Also, complexity when first exposed to it

Albert

Abomination is an Understatement

Reviewed on 06/02/2018

I had the opportunity to go to school online, or check assignments on a web-based platform. I liked that. But other than that, I cannot say a single good thing about it.

Pros

It is web-based. Some modules can be dragged and dropped. It has a lot of useless features I don't ever need or use, while missing ones that I do need.

Cons

Let's be real. Blackboard never heard of "less is more." They could learn a lesson from likes of Uber.

Here's what students need:

1. Educational content

2. Tasks with Due Dates and eventually grades

3. Chat (Group and Private)

4. Notifications

If a millennial designed Blackboard, the entire application could fit into a 3 page app, simple enough for a retard.

They went out of their way to make it complicated, so it would seem better on paper. They've put so many bells and whistles that it is an absolute nightmare for both students and professors alike. Confuses everyone and is a bottleneck in our educational system we should be doing without.

Abigail
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Fine product, needs updating

Reviewed on 30/03/2022

Blackboard Learn helps students stay organized during the semester or course they are taking by having all the documents, videos, etc. that the teacher would like to share with them all in one place. But, Blackboard Learn is becoming very outdated and could use some serious UI updates, especially when compared to Canvas.

Pros

It's nice to have all the assignments, documents, and grades in one place. This helps to avoid professors handing out tons of papers or sending emails all the time. The mobile app sends push notifications about grades or upcoming assignment deadlines which is nice.

Cons

I have noticed some glitches using Blackboard (didn't get notifications, etc). The UI on the computer is outdated and counterintuitive in some ways for both students and instructors. The online service is completely different from the app version which can also be a problem. The online UI needs to be updated to look more like the app.

Prateek
Prateek

Exceptional Learning Management Systems Provide Integration With Third-Party Applications

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

The platform helps me because I can continue my education from a distance using the various alternatives offered by Blackboard. It is an entire LMS system, incredibly user-friendly, and connects with a variety of audio and video resources.

Pros

I love that everything for all of my classes is accessible on Blackboard Learn in a single area. I have access to all of the resources, tests, and homework that my instructors have uploaded. the platform's user-friendliness. For instance, it can be effectively used by both the instructor and the students. You can see all of your selections on the bar to the left.

Cons

I can't think of anything about Blackboard Learn that I dislike, to be completely honest. It has been an excellent resource for online learning and classes. I may interact with my professor and fellow students, take part in debates, and access and watch my lectures.

Prutha

Great LMS for University

Reviewed on 07/06/2022

It is very customizable to your individual class/course. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

I have used this as a user and as an administrator and it is a great LMS. I allows for easy communication sent to all students/teachers in a course.

Cons

There is limited activity tracking for students and visuals could be improved.

CANVAS

Reasons for Switching to Blackboard Learn

Overall ease of use.
Kenatu
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Hammer To Swat a Fly

Reviewed on 16/12/2018

Blackboard is a classic case of good product upgrading too much until you lose what made it great. It has a lot of value added features, so much so that you can no longer find the simple things. They should also focus on getting the bugs out of what is really needed and not focus so much on adding more. Keep it simple, stupid KISS. over all a pretty decent LMS but there are better for less.

Pros

Feature Rich - lots of value added functionality
Love that there are break out rooms for each session
Clickable rubrics - awesome
Cons 345/100 characters minimum

Cons

Grading system is too granular. if you use this it makes it too easy for a few bad assignments to tank students grades and gives the instructor more work.
What do you have against independent content. I create videos using Camtasia and Movavi, but its often a fight get them placed where I'd like or even to get them to run in the first place.

John

New Bb Rollout

Reviewed on 06/01/2022

My institution just rolled out the updated Blackboard platform. I CANNOT UNDERSTATE HOW DISAPPOINTING IT IS! It is harder to use and Bb has removed many of the options for customizing the look and feel of course environments. The MOST ANNOYING change is the locked "institution" bar on the left side of the screen. It is taking up precious screen space... it is not movable. AND the x "close course" box on the top left is too easy to click on... I have already had the problem of having a course close a number of times when I was working on it because I scrolled over that box. This IS REALLY BAD. Stupid design. A move backwards.

Pros

Ability to share lecture recordings and instructional material.

Cons

The changes are in the wrong direction. Only 1 discussion folder. Moving from ability for instructors to customise the look and feel of a course to more standardization.

Teddy

Decent Tool for Teaching Remote Classes

Reviewed on 20/06/2023

Using this service has made me realize that there are more services that offer lower prices. After a year of using this product, I wouldn't recommend this product and will continue to utilize another service in the future.

Pros

Blackboard Learn allows me to track the progress of the students. If one of my students is falling behind on an assignment, it notifies me then I would contact the student about their missing assignment. These are the features that I like the most about Blackboard Learn.

Cons

Blackboard Learn does not handle large file sizes well. There was an incident where a student of mine couldn't hand in an assignment due to their file size being too big. Following that event, the student had to send me their assignment via email. Blackboard Learn should increase its file size limit in order to prevent this from happening again.

Ziyaad

A good environment for students

Reviewed on 06/08/2022

Really nice experience especially since I went remote, very easy to learn because of its user friendly UI, it sometimes feels better than being in the office/class

Pros

The calendar was a great feature, I would always catch myself going there to see what I have due on which days, its a really nice addition to stay organized and check due dates in the case I forgot. Another additional feature would be recordings, having a space to go back and check previous recordings was great as well

Cons

Not being able to import the calendar to google calendars or going through a lengthy process to do it, Linking it with outlook calendar can be confusing as well at some points.

seemingly popular but surprisingly clunky

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

This is not a minor software and many have found it to be worthwhile, so consider my review in context of your particular business needs. There may be aspects that fit your needs quite well. I just haven't found them in my case.

Pros

I can't say too much positive other than it is a reliable platform. Rarely experience outages which affect business critical functions.

Cons

I think that the back-end reporting features must be the shining star of this software. The front-end user experience is less than adequate. I have used blackboard to deploy data and assessments for 5 years, and I still have questions which require professional assistance at least once a quarter. It is time consuming to use and does not produce a clean interface.

Lara
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

A perfect LMS for remote learning

Reviewed on 19/07/2023

We have since moved on to Canvas at my workplace, and I long for the days when all we used was Blackboard. I have had more trouble with Canvas than Blackboard with my distance learners.

Pros

Its adaptability and flexibility for the content writer. Information is so easy to add, edit, or remove at a moment's notice, and the changes are reflected immediately.

Cons

There could be more assessment tools added, but the ones already there are more than adequate.

• Industry: Higher Education

Blackboard Analytics for Learn

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

Analytics has been a game-changer that is helping our institution create an overall better student experience.

Pros

Blackboard Analytics is an amazingly powerful data platform. Working in conjunction with Pyramid, Analytics lets you view Blackboard data from a "global" institution view, all the way down to a single mouse click, by one student in one course. In this ever increasing data-driven industry, Analytics is a powerful tool to help you make informed decisions based on real time data. Information is presented in easy to navigate dashboards, allowing users to interact with the data. Admins can create specific reports tailored to the institution needs. Customer support and training have been invaluable.

Cons

Going in, it helps if you have a working knowledge of databases. The dashboards are easy enough for the general user, but the report creation is not always intuitive. All that said, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.