OpenShot Video Editor

Free and open-source video editing software!

4.5/5

• Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

OPENSHOT IS SIMPLY THE BEST VIDEO EDITOR

Reviewed on 04/04/2020

OpenShot video editor is incredibly easy to use and poweful video editing software which are helping professionals all over the world with its excellent features. OpenShot supports multiple operating systems like Mac, Linux & Windows and it is absolutely free of cost and can be downloaded easily from its website. We can save a video in any of above mentioned OS and can be open it on another. OpenShot can read and wirte most image and videos formats and with the advanced tabs users can use any FFmpeg format.

Pros

I am using OpenShot for last 2 years in editing videos and found it very simple and easy to understand. With the help of this software i can add desired sounds to any of video and also trim the videos to find perfects moments. I can easily drag and drop the videos, audios and images from file manager into OpenShot for editing. There are lots of builtin background videos in OpenShot which makes it very easy to add titles and rearrange it according to the need. Unlimited layers allowed the users to add watermark, sound track and more. You can also add 3D animations such flying text, snow and many other things to your videos to make them looks nice and beautiful. The videos can be speed up and slow down with help of OpenShot and the user interface is so simple that one can easily understand their features in first use.

Cons

OpenShot video editor has all the necessary features and have excellent user interface with all the essential buttons but i would love if they add some external plugins for 3D animations. By adding some extra plugins user can takes some more benefits from this remarkable software.

Cristhian Josue
  • Industry: Design

Openshot, the free video editor that everyone should try

Reviewed on 06/09/2021

Openshot is a fantastic tool, I like it very much, it fulfills very well the function of being a free and competitive video editor, it allows us to do almost everything related to post-production, to a greater or lesser extent, but we can do it.

If you want to create simple videos, this is a good option

Pros

One point I really like about Openshot is that it's free... just kidding.

This video editor allows us to create infinite layers, something that I personally like a lot because I usually used multiple layers, sometimes by the need of the project or simply to have a working order in my timeline.

In my opinion, this video editor is a good tool for those who like me some time ago, only want to create simple montages with good quality, "Openshot" satisfies me, it's light and any PC can run it, even the editing in this video editor is done nicely, I like it.

Cons

Openshot looks very antiquated in some aspects, it has 3D animations but they look like they come out of PowerPoint or some version of windows 2000.

This video editor can't compete in the graphical aspect with other free editors, let alone paid software or software focused on 3D designs. Simply Openshot isn't an option if you want to use or create animations in your video editor.

Moussa

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

OpenShot Video Editor is a better tool for creating good quality videos

Pros

For good quality YouTube videos, I tried OpenShot Video Editor and found it very great. It's easy to use and the videos are of good quality

Cons

My videos are of good quality and then the use is very easy and fast which I have no problem for the moment

Bintou

Reviewed on 04/11/2022

OpenShot Video Editor is a good quality video editing program

Pros

I'm a Youtuber and I use this softwareto edit my videos since the creation of the Youtube channel until now. It's very easy to use

Cons

It's a good software it's very easy to use no problem

Jawad

OpenShot Video Editor software review

Reviewed on 10/10/2022

OpenShot Video Editor is really great for video editing

Pros

To create my short promotional product videos, I use this nice video editing tool in good quality

Cons

Sometimes my videos take a long time to be recorded.

Henriette

Reviewed on 12/11/2022

To process your videos, I recommend OpenShot Video Editor, it's very nice

Pros

This tool is really amazing, I process two videos every day on this software without any problem, and the quality is very good

Cons

In truth, it is a good software, I personally have no problem

• Industry: Government Administration

Best OpenSource Editor

Reviewed on 07/10/2022

Pros

This video editor is a really great editor and does have all the features that are needed to take care of video editing projects.

Cons

Only problem is that it might not have more features that might come with a paid software license.

Sean
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Free Open-Source Video Editor thats pretty good

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

its been nice. Trying to dive in head first without tutorials or learning any tips and tricks was difficult. It's not as intuitive as many editors are but its a free open source software so...it is what it is.

Pros

For someone who doesn't have an unending flow of cash. A free reliable video editor is a tough thing to find. Couple that with the fact that its open source, and ever improving. OpenShot is a great option for those on a strict budget.

Other than the fact that its free, it does most everything you'd expect out of a video editor. Also with online tutorials, learning is easy and free as well!

Cons

obviously not as comprehensive as say Adobe Premiere. But unless you have an extra arm and a leg, that can break the bank easily. Especially with the way children these days are mesmerized by the thought of being a YouTuber, if you're a parent, OpenShot is a great alternative.

Not as intuitive either...big turn off for video editing.

Allison

Not as many features as I'd like

Reviewed on 22/09/2022

Pros

I like that I can easily upload my own videos and audio files into the program and that it doesn't take up too much space on my computer.

Cons

The software is not very user-friendly and does not let me easily edit the audio or split my clips. I wish there were more filters for videos as well as transitions.

Nisar
  • Industry: Media Production

OpenShot, The Best Free Yet Loaded Video Editor

Reviewed on 18/10/2021

Being a Youtube vlogger, I use OpenShot extensively for editing my videos and to apply voice overs. I love it for its ease of use and availability of all useful tools. Apart from vlogging, I also use it to experiment with advanced video effects which is quite fun. It used to work very slow but after I upgraded my computer system, it now works very well.

Pros

OpenShot is one of the best video editing software, and its ease of use allows new users to utilize it to its full potential. It is an open source software and is completely free to use yet. It is compatible with all major audio and video formats and can give output any where in the range from 360p to 4k video quality. It is supported by all computer operating systems. It supports drag and drop feature which makes it easy to combine video clips, images and audio together or to separate audio files from a video or adjust the audio settings along with scaling the video by merely dragging it. You can also resize and adjust the quality of a video in it. Along with that it features hundreds of effects that you can apply to your videos. Apart from adding 3D animations and overlays, it also supports chroma keying thus enabeling you to alter the background extensively. OpenShot developers also constantly release updates thus keeping it up to date. To sum up, this video editor serves the purpose of everyone, from youtube and facebook vloggers to professional video editors.

Cons

OpenShot sometimes encounter to freeze or auto quit while processing heavey files like 4k videos in Microsoft Windows. Also they need to make its interface more pleasant on eyes as it has not changed from quite a lot of time.

Gabriella
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

A great video editor that needs a 'splash'

Reviewed on 18/01/2021

I enjoy using OpenShot, but it would be great if they added a splash screen and a notification window?
It works well and competes favorably with similar programs, even with paid programs, given that it is free.
Its performance is good overall but I have found that the processor you use plays a role.

Pros

OpenShot is a great video editor, I have been using it for over two years now. Its option to separate sound from video in an imported and loaded clip is very good. I use this feature quite a bit and I have not experienced any errors or problems with it. I also like how after separating out the sound I can either remove it or edit it.
Another feature that stands out is the razor tool, it makes removing unwanted sections easy. Bringing the remaining clips together is even easier, you just drag and drop, this is something I have found to be a bit messy with other programs.

I like how it's not too heavy, I have successfully ran it on an entry-level processor. It would occasionally slow down to load, but the plus here was that it would not crash and I wouldn't lose my work. However, I would be amiss if I did not mention that the processor you use makes a difference!

Cons

The issue that I have or perhaps an ask to OpenShot is that they add a splash screen to show that the editor is starting as well as a notification window that asks you to confirm if you want to open more than one instance.
When starting OpenShot it's often not clear whether it's opening or not. I tend to end up with several windows open. Then it becomes a mission to close the extra windows and then wait a bit before starting work to see if there will be more windows opening up.

Adding a splash screen and a notification window would be quite helpful, it would save time & effort and eliminate any frustrations!

Nicholas
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

OpenShot Video Editor Great Aid to Business For Creating YouTube Videos

Reviewed on 03/06/2020

We got OpenShot because we were so frustrated with the cost of Camtasia. We may add that program back to our software arsenal, but for now are very happy with OpenShot.
As a company, we created a YouTube video channel and we are creating content for that channel. OpenShot is very easy to use to create those videos. Our goal is 2 per day for the first 60 days. We would do more, but we run 4 or more tracks per video and the save process for export is time-consuming.

Pros

It shows the whole functioning video creation process on one screen and has very easy access for multiple tracks. For me, this is a must. I want to see all of my tracks or at least have easy access to preview them. OpenShot has a little preview screen so you can preview what you are making as you go, frame by frame if necessary.
At first, I had my doubts about this software as a video editor because I had trouble figuring out how to do certain tasks. I quickly found YouTube video tutorials by the program creator that make it so easy. I'm still experimenting and look for video tutorials to learn to do things right when I want to try new things. My newest endeavor is exploring the many transitions offered.
The program allows us to align frames on each track to make seamless videos.
I'm sure we have not even hit the halfway point of learning other benefits we will eventually use.

Cons

Easy to set up video tracks, frames, etc, but this program takes a long time to Export videos so we can then upload them to YouTube. We actually have learned to open other windows to work with while it is exporting video. Otherwise, we cannot minimize during this process and it impedes us from other work.

Camtasia

Reasons for Switching to OpenShot Video Editor

Price and ease of use. The learning curve is much easier
Fernando

excellent free video editor

Reviewed on 04/03/2022

Overall I am very satisfied with the software. I'm making my edits in a simple way and with an almost professional result.

Pros

This software offers all the basic features for professional video editing.
While simple, most of the features are pretty powerful.

Cons

The operational layout functionality can still be improved and the action response can be a little faster still.

VEGAS Pro

Reasons for Choosing OpenShot Video Editor

The software became too cumbersome to run on low-end computers and the paid version was expensive.

Reasons for Switching to OpenShot Video Editor

Lighter and simpler software. It requires less computer resources to perform operations, especially exporting and compiling videos.
  • Industry: Entertainment

OpenShot - Power and Professionalism

Reviewed on 03/05/2022

For a small business, and even personal use in the form of social media videos, promotional videos I think it's brilliant software. The fact that it's free it's amazing and it doesn't sacrifice quality in the form of having an extensive list of effects and transitions. I find it easy and fast to make videos that look professional, make me look professional online. If you ever get stuck with how to use a feature, there are lots of tutorials online, as well as the built-in tutorial. Really stunning editor that I'll recommend to anyone wanting to make their business's online video presence comes across professional and polished.

Pros

The first feature that has to be mentioned is that this is free software, and that it offers being able to work in 4K. I am impressed that the media library has so many options, that include built in effects, transitions, ability to use titles for vectors and fonts. It's collaboration with Blender means it has those sleek looking 3D effects and titles built in as well, a nice quick way to add something extra to your project to make it stand out.
The interface is clean, simple and easy to get used to and adjust to for seamless editing, as well it being free to edit as many clips as you need to, no limits there. I like that it doesn't have a steep learning curve that most video editors do, but it still allows you to do professional editing as you would on a premium software, and advanced edits. I'm transitioning into teaching online, and I've used it to make my own promotional videos for various companies. It's always a pleasure to use as I can make changes fast, add an effect, sometimes play around with what would look good, and not have to dedicate hours to editing anything. When I'm done it looks polished and professional, as if I had used a high-end editor, which I appreciate as building a small business means you don't want to go spending extensively on software.

Cons

I think that if you need to edit a whole movie, it may give you issues with loading, with lag. I noticed that if I tried to import large files, a few hours of a holiday video, that there was an issue with it freezing. However, for most of my work I don't need to edit hours of footage, so I didn't really have an issue with this. I think for most people who are making social media videos, promotional material for their business like I do, even longer advertisment-type edits, OpenShot is perfect for our business or personal editing needs.

Omkar
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Openshot Video Editor is a great software

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

My experience with OpenShot Video Editor so far has been great. My experience with OpenShot Video Editor so far has been great. 2 years ago I installed this software, still it is in my computer. All its options are amazing. Because of me, my friends have also installed this software.

Pros

If seen, this OpenShot software is a very good software for editing YouTube videos. Along with this, there are many great options in this, with the help of which we will be able to edit the video very easily. I installed this software in my computer 2 years ago, since then I have never needed other software. The best thing about this software is that 5 tracks are already given in it, with the help of which we can combine different things in one video. Along with this, the options for editing videos in this software are given above such as video, audio, images, transitions, and effects. If seen, all the effects in OpenShot are incredible.

Cons

This software does not have the option to download the effect online, if you add it then it will be great. At the same time, there is a shortcoming in this which can be corrected by adding the option of direct YouTube video upload. Also adding a 3D animation plugin to it would be great.

Abdullah
  • Industry: Banking

Excellent Video Editor For Professionals

Reviewed on 06/04/2020

OpenShot Video editor is a professional video editing utility which has been admired by number of professionals all arround the world due to its remarkably easy and simple to use interface. It has all necessary tools and buttons which are required for excellent video editing experience. The main reason of OpenShot popularity is becuase it is available free of cost and can be downloaded from its official page. OpenShot video editor supports 70+ languages and can be transalated online via LaunchPad.

Pros

OpenShot video editor is very easy and simple to use software. The user can select different options like adding text, images and audio visuals to their videos to make them attractive and nice. Different available themes can be selected from the menu with single click which complete the video editing task quickly. The slow and speed up of videos can be done and further you can also trim and re-arrange the videos. There are many audio editing features by which you can adjust and split audio from your videos and adjust each audio individually. Flying text and beautiful 3D animations can be added and users can also adjust colors and brightness of videos very easily. OpenShot supports unlimited layers so we can add as many layers as we required to our videos.

Cons

According to my point of view, there should be more background animation presets in this Software. Because if we are designing the composition from scratch, often we need background effects. So if the users will able to apply more background animation options, that will be really awesome. Overall we can do almost everything related to video editing in this software.

Haris
  • Industry: Chemicals
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Incredible Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 10/05/2021

I always use Openshot video editor when i need to make some exciting edited videos. The software is very easy to use and available on free of cost. Openshot Video Editor supports multiple formats and can be easily downloaded from their website. My overall experience with this software is very amazing and i strongly recommend Openshot video editor to the professionals who are looking for exciting video editing experience.

Pros

The videos can be edited in a very simple way by just drag and drop and you can add animations, watermark, sound effects and many other exciting things in your videos. I am using this software for last 3 years and always found it very helpful and full of exciting features. In Openshot video editor you can also trim your videos and add flying text and 3D animations. You can also speed up and slow down your videos according to your need. The interface is so simple and understandable one can easily use this software without any problem.

Cons

As of my experience i have never face any difficulty in Openshot video editor. The software always provide me all the necessary tools and features which i need and to make my videos beautiful and colorful.

Umair

The best free and Open Source Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 10/03/2020

Almost always I use OpenShot for my video editing projects. I record videos and then upload them to Social Media. So before uploading, I always edit the videos in OpenShot. I have also edited a lot of videos for my clients in this Software. So my overall experience with OpenShot is really awesome. Transitions and effects panels of this software are really awesome. Because I have applied transitions and effects to my videos using these two panels.

Pros

You can download OpenShot for any Platform. No matter you are a Windows user, Linux user or Mac user. You can download and use this software Because it’s totally free and open-source. According to my point of view, OpenShot is the best free video editing software. You can easily import the project, then you can drag and drop the components in the timeline of your composition. Then you can apply stunning effects and transitions to your files.

Cons

According to my point of view, there should be more options for 3d editing. Or there should be some external plugins or modules that can be helpful for the 3d editing in OpenShot. All other things about this software are really Incredible.

Muddassar
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Professional and Open-Source Video Editor

Reviewed on 18/04/2020

I have used the software to edit my own personal videos. Also, I have edited the videos of my clients. The software has helped me to create compositions from scratch to the advanced level. No doubt, OpenShot is the really simple and powerful video editor. I really like this software, because I have created a number of stunning videos using the OpenShot. I can export the video in different formats. So sometimes I export or save my work as a MP4 file and sometimes I use other formats. So my overall experience with this video editor is really incredible.

Pros

OpenShot is the best and perfect video editor. We can download the software free of cost because this is open-source software. This software is very easy to learn because the dashboard interface is very simple. We can easily understand the features and functions of different panels. From the effects and transitions panel, we can drag and drop beautiful effects in our timeline. We can create a lot of layers for your different videos and soundtracks. We can also apply different beautiful animations like fade, bounce, slide and more.

Cons

I would really like if I will able to find more plugins or templates on the official website of OpenShot. No doubt, there are hundreds of effects, features, and transitions that we can also simply apply from the software. Only if they add some external plugins in the website, that will be really Awesome. So for me, all other features of OpenShot Video Editor are really fabulous.

Ismaël Huberson
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 19/11/2022

This is so easy to use and edit. Plus it's completely free and I love that.

Pros

OpenShot Video Editor is a powerful video editor that allows you to create quality compositions using photo, audio and video files. It is a fun and intuitive video editor with a ton of great features. The fact that it is open source makes it a great tool that can be used by everyone. I have used it in a number of projects, the most recent being a video recording of a conference I hosted.

Cons

this software is just great and it is totally free.

Annam
  • Industry: Insurance

The Best and Open-Source Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 06/04/2020

My overall experience with OpenShot Video Editor is really outstanding because I have used the software for my personal projects. I really like the 3D animations which I usually apply in my projects. Especially I need slow motion in my video projects, so I easily add slow motion in the videos. Sometimes I also create title in the beginning of the videos. So I really like this simple and incredible video editing software. Once i apply the transitions, then i preview the video before the export process.

Pros

Openshot is really awesome and a professional video editing software. The most important thing that it is completely free. The interface of this software is really easy to understand and use. All panels are really fabulous. You can simply import the files then you can drag and drop the files in your timeline. Then using effects and transitions you can apply a hundered of beautiful transitions. You can easily trim your exisiting videos or if you want to edit audio you can also edit the audio or sound. You can add unlimited layers.

Cons

According to my experience, we can find all video editing features, tools and options in the OpenShot Video editor. So as per my point of view, every features and use of this software is awseome. Only if we find more external plugins or modules that will be really awesome. Here plugins means, like we will able to apply more new transitions and effects. All other options are outstanding.

Sylvester
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

NO BUDGET VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE, It's powerful and gets the job done

Reviewed on 27/12/2020

OpenShot is both a SIMPLE and POWERFUL video editing software with the ability to produce great videos.
OpenShot can make dazzling recordings, movies, and activities with a simple to-utilize interface and a rich arrangement of highlights. It can be used on Linux, macOS, and Windows operating systems.

Pros

It has all the basics you need to edit and produce great videos.
Most importantly, it's FREE, SIMPLE, easy to use, and makes editing faster.

Cons

Some elements and features need improvement.

Syed

OpenShot Video Editor is a great tool to make a perfect video

Reviewed on 25/08/2020

OpenShot is a versatile tool. My experience to work with it is great.

Pros

I am using OpenShot almost daily to make varities type of videos and this is really a handy tool to make videos quickly. I can mix and match my all video elemants, also I can add extra tools if I need from the OpenShot. It's really easy to get a complete video with in few minutes and I think you don't need to be an expart video editor to work with Openshot. Now a days, so may people has their own channel and they also want to make videos to show everyone and I think OpenShoot is perfect for inexpert people. For official use Openshot is a great video editor.

Cons

As a regular user of OpenShot I would say it's a great tool. But I wish if they could have more additional elemants and tools then it will be more easier to complete videos. However, I like use this tool and this is make my task esay.

Iqra

The best and Professional Video Editor

Reviewed on 16/06/2020

Video editing is the need for our business because we have to make videos regarding the content and work of our business. So I always compose and make videos in OpenShot Video Editor. There are lots of reasons, the first reason it is free and open-source. Second, the dashboard, panels, and all features are really easy to use.

Pros

OpenShot Video editor allows you to make stunning and fabulous videos. You can import the content like images and videos in your composition. Then you can apply lots of different beautiful transitions and effects. You can add as many layers as you want. The software allows you to export the video with different formats and options.

Cons

For my personal and business needs, OpenShot Video Editor always helped me and I never faced any kind of issue during the use of this software. Especially it is free. So according to me, there are no cons. Everything of OpenShot Video Editor is awesome.

Jeff

OpenShot Hits The Target

Reviewed on 31/12/2021

We're able to provide a Sunday morning service to our shut-ins parishioners or those who couldn't make the service in person. Since we started a few years ago, this has been a great method of outreach.

Pros

My favorite aspect about OpenShot Video Editor is it's simplicity of use. I am the Tech Advisor at our church but also the volunteer editor of the weekly services. I am using OpenShot in hopes that one day another parishioner will step up and assist. I don't think it will be difficult to train them on this Editor program once they use it once or twice.

Cons

Perhaps it's my machine but I wish that it would render / export the video quicker. I've gotten the process down to where I do other things during this period (about 3 hours / hour of video), but for the price you can't go wrong.

VSDC Video Editor