Duolingo

Learning management system for educational institutions

4.5/5
4.6/5
4.8/5
4.3/5

Md Mahbub
Md Mahbub

The Best Language Learning App I Have Ever Experienced So Far!

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

I like that it is a very efficient way to learn a new language. I also like how it is gamified so that it makes it more fun and engaging. Besides, I can enroll in more than one language at a time and keep practicing simultaneously. It has a learning streak which is like if you don't practice for a few days in a row then your progress will go back to down level and you have to start again from the past although you can freeze the streak a few times. Overall it really helped a lot in learning the basics of language.

Pros

There are many things I like about the Duolingo language learning software. Firstly, it is free which makes it accessible to everyone. Secondly, it is very user-friendly and you can learn at your own pace. Finally, it provides a great way to learn a new language or brush up on your existing language skills. I like that Duolingo offers a variety of languages to choose from. I also appreciate the fact that it uses a game-like format to make language learning fun and engaging.

Cons

Every product comes with a con but to be frank I didn't find any major cons for the app. Hence it is really enjoyable. But sometimes the repetitive tests may seem boring for the users as the app sometimes brings up the same lessons again and again. The learning process is a bit slow.

ELSA Speak

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

Elsa Speak doesn't offer gamification representation which is not enjoyable. On the other hand, Duolingo made the whole learning process a game so no matter how old the age of a person is, can easily adapt and enjoy Duolingo for learning the language.
Geraldo
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Duolingo Review: Features and Benefits for Beginners and Advanced Users

Reviewed on 27/04/2023

Improve language skills for employment and career purposes,Facilitate communication with co-workers, customers and suppliers in other countriesGain a competitive advantage in international business negotiationsIncrease confidence and the ability to interact with people from different cultures and backgrounds.Access to a wide range of languages and learning contentPossibility to learn at my own pace and at convenient timesLearning in a fun and motivating environment, which helps to maintain interest and engagementTime and money savings compared to face-to-face classes or traditional language courses.

Pros

Most important features for users:Interactive lessons that include speech recognition and listening, writing and reading exercisesA gamification system that includes fun themed lessons and rewards to keep users motivatedThe option to customize the learning path to meet users' individual needs, such as focusing on specific skills or learning vocabulary related to a certain topicI generally find Duolingo easy to use, thanks to its intuitive interface and well-designed features. The platform is easy to navigate and the lessons are clearly organized. They also have access to help features, such as the option to view translations and tips on how to complete the exercises.Duolingo is a language learning platform designed primarily for personal use. While the company offers options for enterprises and educational institutions, integrating with existing business processes can be more challenging and may require additional support for customization and configuration. However, Duolingo is an affordable and user-friendly tool that can be of benefit to individuals and organizations looking to improve their language skills.

Cons

Some translation issues can be inconsistent or confusingThe limited availability of languages for learning in some countriesMore customization options to let users focus on specific skills like speaking or grammarMore features to practice speaking skills, such as speaking with native speakers or recording and listening to your own voiceImprovements in correcting grammar and spelling errors to provide more detailed feedback on user performance.I think Duolingo's interface can be a bit confusing, especially for beginners.I also think that the teaching method can be very repetitive and boringProblems with voice recognition and error detection accuracy.Duolingo is a language learning platform aimed primarily at personal use. While the company offers options for businesses and educational institutions, integrating with existing business processes might not be relevant to me. However, if I want to learn a language for work purposes I may find Duolingo useful in improving my language skills.

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

Some of the reasons that made me choose Duolingo over other alternative products are:Duolingo offers a wider range of languages to learn than other productsDuolingo's teaching method is more playful and motivating, with a greater focus on gamification and rewards to keep me engaged.Duolingo is a free product while some other alternative products were paid for full access to contentDuolingo's interface is intuitive and easy to use, with additional features such as live classes that allow you to interact with other students and tutorsDuolingo is widely recognized and used around the world, which increases my confidence in the quality of the product and the support available.
Ewoma
Ewoma
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Duolingo: an efficient language learning software

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

my experience with Duolingo has been all right. It gave me the opportunity to learn a new language without paying for language classes which is good.

Pros

I like Duolingo because it is a great language learning tool. I used to learn to improve my French language when I was studying at the university. I like how it is free and so easy to use.
I don't have to spend any money on language classes due to this app. I also love its gaming format. It makes learning French and Spanish fun for me without the pressure of learning in a class.
I also like its compatibility with mobile devices. I open it on my android phone and take my lessons for the day irrespective of my location.
Also, its daily reminders help me stay committed to learning and not forget my learning tasks.

Cons

While Duolingo is a great language learning app, I find the pop-up ads a nuisance. Another thing I dislike about it is that it lacks the most important element for learning a language, which is; face to face interaction. That is crucial for learning your target language.
Also, I would not recommend Duolingo if you want to advance to a native level in your target language. I have finished all my French lessons on the app. Although my French improved tremendously, I am still far from being on the level of a native French speaker.

Nikoloz
  • Industry: Entertainment

Review of Duolingo after a year and 7 months of using

Reviewed on 10/12/2023

It's good and has helped me to learn basics of french language so Great way to prepare you language basics before you go to pro

Pros

It can be good way to learn vocabulary and basic grammar and had helped me to learn French. Also i like that it has support of multiple languages.

Cons

It takes lot of time to progress and it you already know some of language and just wanna get more better like over B1 then i wouldn't recommend it.

Nikolay

Addictive and fun!

Reviewed on 25/07/2022

It's very fun, very modern. The paid subscription Super Duolingo is super affordable as well, but if you can stand ads, you are quite okay with the free version as well. I cannot imagine a better platform to learn a new language on the go, on your phone, tabler, or your PC's browser. Do not expect you to be fluent in a week or a month, but every bit helps. Be patient, enjoy the cute experience and check the Klingon language as well.

Pros

Learning languages with Duolingo sure is fun. I have used it for so many years to learn Czech and Japanese. From the cute interface and animations to the option to draw Japanese symbols on the phone screen, Duolingo offers a free and accessible way for anyone to learn new languages.
With their paid Super Duolingo plan, you can get rid of the annoying advertisements - I am one of those impatient people who don't like ads, have unlimited hearts, and you can also have a family plan where you can share the service with your loved ones at a very reasonable price. You can pretty much learn every major language plus some very "exotic" ones such as - Klingon(!!) and High Valyrian (!!!), both very important and useful in our daily lives. I am hoping for Duolingo also to add the option for us to learn Slovenian in the future. It's one of the less used languages but very dear to my heart.
The daily quests and the monthly challenges are fun as well and a reason for competitive users to log in more often and do their "daily grind." Without you realizing it, you will learn so many new words by simply spending 15 min per day, or an hour like me.

Cons

I will be honest - since I am a very competitive person, I spend a lot of time grinding for experience (XP) just so I can beat other users and advance in the leagues. Currently, I am in the Sapphire League, but I feel like giving up for a while because the competitive side of me blocks the one that wants to actually learn the language. Maybe don't make the competition and advancing into a higher league that tough?

Rosetta Stone Enterprise and LinkedIn Learning

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

A modern, cute, game-like platform for learning.
Karel

My Experience with Duolingo

Reviewed on 10/06/2022

A great language learning app that I would recommend for those who are interested in learning a new language.

Pros

Fun and easy to use.
This app makes learning a new language easy overall.
Gamification is an essential part of what makes this software so good.

Cons

I don't like the fact that learning on this app cannot really take place offline
Also the amount of ads that you encounter after completing just 1 segment is just too much.

Shujaat

Review based on Own Experience!

Reviewed on 28/07/2022

Happy to experience, very convenient for language learning, comfortable to maintain its dashboard.

Pros

interface, languages list as per convenience, its levels are much competitive. Easy to maintain its dashboard...

Cons

Little delays in Speech recognition, skills tend to limiting and translation may confuse rarely.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

New to experience and best for language learning
Emirhan
  • Industry: Music

Best way for learn easy language

Reviewed on 17/06/2022

The only application I use to reinforce foreign language learning

The only application I use to reinforce foreign language learning

Pros

I can learn a language at any time because I use it mobile. And the abundant practice and private lessons reinforce the learning.

Cons

Although it does not teach the foreign language completely, it provides a very good preliminary preparation.

Danielle
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Free and easy to use language app

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Pros

I love that it uses all aspects of language and not just writtencor spoken. I also love how if speaking to the app is not something you can do in that moment, you can turn it off!

Cons

If you get too much wrong, it takes a while to build up hearts to keep goint on the free version

Ishan

Review for Duolingo

Reviewed on 16/03/2024

Enjoyed the process of learning a language and even tried to understand my native languages and enhanced it

Pros

I liked the interface and ui which is very user-friendly and I can learn as many languages as I want.

Cons

My only concern with this app is lesser amount of textbook guides for a particular language

Awesome software for effective learning of new languages

Reviewed on 03/05/2023

A very effective and well-developed software that makes learning languages fun and interesting. I would 10/10 recommend! I love that there is an online community to support you!

Pros

My favourite feature of Duolingo is that it tracks your progress really well. I can see a clear trend that Duolingo provides me with in my learning as well in other users which gives me motivation. The point system is useful in that it motivates me to study more and use Duolingo more to achieve a better score and as a result become better at the language I am learning. Duolingo is very user friendly. When I used it for the first time, I could figure out its features with little guidance. Therefore it is a well developed program suitable for both beginners and advanced language speakers. I have had a pleasant time learning new languages (French and Italian) thanks to Duolingo's programming that makes learning new languages interesting and engaging. I find that when I am learning something new with Duolingo, it is not as overwhelming as I think it would be. There are also communities that help encourage users to make progress. I would highly recommend Duolingo if you are looking for a fun and interesting way to learn new languages. Duolingo is especially useful if you are looking to get a basic understanding of a language, it will cover all the basics you need!

Cons

I don't have any dislikes about Duolingo. I have used it for 1.5 years now and have seen a major improvement in my French! One suggestion is for Duolingo to add perhaps more engaging tests - something like reading comprehension? That would be really cool to see! It would be also nice for there to be no ads so that one can really focused on learning.

Francisco
  • Industry: Media Production

Don't forget to practice!

Reviewed on 28/09/2021

Excellent, I use my free time to learn and practice, even 15 minutes per day is enough.

Pros

It is a very fun way to learn and practice the languages ​​you already know or can learn a new one. What I like the most is that you can do tests for your level or to prove yourself.

Cons

I wish there where integrations with other apps or services, to make learning more complete.

Reasons for Choosing Duolingo

Gamification.

• Industry: Mental Health Care

Best Language Learning App

Reviewed on 30/06/2022

Amazing:

- Learning something new
- Getting help with cognitive exercise
- connecting with other...

Amazing:

- Learning something new
- Getting help with cognitive exercise
- connecting with other users
- economical
- tracking the progress

Pros

- The choices we have as a user to learn from 'N' number of languages
(I tried French, Korean, Spanish, Arabic, finally ending up with German, which I felt more interested in, currently i'm on a 272 days streak )
- Being able to track the Progress
- More than the language learning, I use it as a mental and cognitive exercise tool, and encourage my therapy patients to try it out, as I feel it helps in cognitive development, memory and concentration,
- Love the graphics of the app, its really pleasing to the eyes,
- The reminder system, you have an option to get a whatsapp reminder, app notification reminder, mail or text reminder
- The reward system in the app, you get 'gems' and 'XP', 'time boosters' and 'story section' (My favorite) as rewards which you can further use to do more language exercises and more
- Recently added 'Feed' section to learn more about things happening around in the Duolingo world and more information
- Being able to compete with other users and much more

Cons

- reporting an error in a language exercise was difficult

How to Master new language? Try Duolingo

Reviewed on 29/03/2021

After using it for a couple years so far, I can say that I am more than satisfied with Duo, especially after I started learning German daily with the use of it ( currently I am at my 358 day with 234 crowns and I want more knowledge, more skills and of course more Duo ). I would like to see more improvments in Duolinguo and if possible, that they return as officially recognized by LinkedIn as well, as I would like to boost more my German, share it with my connections and eventually land a new and better job thanks to it.

Pros

I love that feeling of accomplishment after new skill was acquired or new level gained ( and crown for it too ). It teaches me the basics of some language and it is free too, but I would like to see even more chapters in future, as you can't get enough of it.

Cons

I don't like the new system with five hearts ( for five negative answers, after which you fail a lesson ), but I understand it is there in order for this platform to keep being free for everyone and because of that I don't mind it too much. In the other hand, I would like to get more things which can be bought in the Duolingo shop, maybe some new outfits for Duo and especially more advanced skills for languages.

Pius

Duolingo

Reviewed on 24/04/2022

Amazing. I have taken my Spanish, French, and German to new levels. This is thanks to the ease of using the platform and customizing it to my goals in each separate language.

Pros

Learning languages on Duolingo is fun and simplified. The units are bite-size so as to not be overwhelming like the other language apps but also the not so simplified that you don't make meaningful progress. You can customize your learning experience based on your goals for learning the language you choose and I like that a lot. I am learning 3 languages at the same time and each of them has a different goal and allocated length. This is awesome in Duolingo.

Cons

I love Duolingo and it's the best out there in terms of learning a new language. I don't like the fact that they have not incorporated the Podcast into the App. I listen to the podcast on Google Podcasts and I think it would be even better with it in-app because then they can curate the podcast content better, based on everyone's level and fluency in the language.

Gabija

Looks like a game, although it works as a teaching plan!

Reviewed on 13/11/2021

I'm a happy user of Duolingo. I recommend it to my students. It's not possible to learn a language entirely only using a Duolingo (well, that's not surprising), but it's way easier if a student uses it. I like their new features (podcasts, short stories). I would like to see improvements on machine translation and to see more customer support when users spot mistakes in the phrases.

Pros

It looks like a game - beautifully designed and user friendly;
there are new features now and then (podcasts, short stories, grammar comments, etc.);
constantly changing and adding new material or diving the old one in different chapters;
works both on phone and on desktop device;
easy to keep track of learning.

Cons

There is a feature of "streak" - how many days in a row have you used Duolingo and earned XPs (points). However, if one can't keep up with the streak, usually it ends up in losing motivation to learn after all. This is especially true for those who had 100-200 days of streak (well, I'm one of them!)

Some topics are devided into so many small classes that they become too repetitive and might seem boring.

Sometimes the phrases you need to translate make no sense at all ("my blu turtle wears black jeans" style of sentences). Also, Duolingo lacks flexibility in terms of machine translation - it simply doesn't accept different answers to the same question, although it should

Barbara

Bad update

Reviewed on 20/11/2022

I used to love it. I can understand some words on closed captioning on the TV before I read them. I can understand some words my Spanish coworkers use. They just need to slow down.,,as I don’t know all the words yet, but can grab the context of what they are saying. But now I will ever learn a new word as I can’t pass the previous levels I had mastered because they have extremely SHORT timers. They want you to PAY for timer boosts, they have gotten greedy and want money. I have sent feedback several times and have NEVER received an answer.me hence the review. If they would’ve at least contacted me and explained their reasoning..I may not have been so harsh., but seriously their update SUCKS

Pros

I used to love it. They updated it and have timed reviews to pass a level. I have to pass everything before I move on. I cannot move on with only one star. It BUGS me. You need three stars and they do NOT give you near enough time. I make so many mistakes rushing. I am about to drop the course

Cons

The lack of time to get the three stars

Rachel
  • Used for 6-12 months

Excellent support to other language learning tactics/lessons/scenarios

Reviewed on 01/07/2021

I have used Duolingo on and off again for years now. I've used it to support my Norwegian language lessons, and I've used it to practice my French as I was planning on going in to be a French Immersion teacher (then COVID hit so those plans got cancelled). I recommend it to families I've known through schools I work in as an EA, and I recommend it to my stepkids to support their learning.

It's just a great program to practice what is already being taught, bearing in mind differences in accents, and localized slang. It is a great place to learn formal language skills however and then when you visit or move or meet people from another place you can pick up on the slang or more relaxed language skills then and there.

I would not use it exclusively for learning a language, you need more conversations with people and turtors and real life experience, but it's a great support and great jumping off point for basic language skills.

Pros

It's a clean layout, easy to navigate, fun, nice animation. I've been able to recommend it to people as a free language support enhance their (or their kids') learning (essentially good for everyone young and old).

Cons

When using as a support for other language lessons (for me I used it to support my French, Spanish, and Norwegian learning/lessons) it can be hard to understand some of the verbal prompts; as a Canadian I am learning Quebecois French accent and vernacular, and my Norwegian lessons in person were with one kind of accent (very formal language and generic accent) however when I moved to Norway for 6 months I was actually in a completely different dialect than is presented in Duolingo and most of my lessons went out the window (though they were a good jumping off point for the language generally speaking, but Norway has as many dialects as Ireland has regional accents).

An easy and interactive way to learn a new language

Reviewed on 18/06/2023

Pros

Duolingo offers the opportunity to create a strong foundation when learning a new language, by offering some theoretical information, through practical exercises (dialogues, grammatical exercises, short stories, etc.). For me, the most helpful feature was the audio lessons, where you can hear how words or specific letters are pronounced, also it gives you the chance to practice your speaking skills; afterward giving feedback (right or wrong answer or pronunciation).

Cons

Overall, the app is very easy to use and understand, but I would love the see some improvement in the theory section; for a beginner, with no knowledge of the new language, it would be beneficial to have more information about phonetics, orthography, common exceptions and general grammatical and linguistic theories.

Priyanka

Uses of Duolingo

Reviewed on 24/02/2022

Duolingo is one of the most used and most popular language-learning applications. Many are satisfied with this application since they are practically at their home itself. For people who want to learn a specific language but do not have enough tie, this is perfect software as you can allocate your time per day.

Pros

1) It is the best beginner-friendly app for people who wants to learn languages.
2) It is cost-free and very effective as it starts with simple sentences for target languages.
3) The app reminds them to practice by itself which keeps users motivated.
4) It has different parts to make users try like listening drill, fill in the blanks, matching pairs, and mock conversations.

Cons

1) Users do not have control over vocabulary, the order that topics come in, or choose to skip them.
2) Since it is online application software, it lacks the feeling of human interaction.
3) Lots of ads in between.

John
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Good for drilling lame for learning.

Reviewed on 18/12/2023

Low average. The language I’m proficient in, it’s handy if annoying. The one I have some instruction in, it’s good for vocabulary. The one I don’t know the grammar going in, it sucks.

Pros

The lessons are bite-sized. You can maintain a certain level of profiency with a small daily dose.

Cons

If you don’t already know the grammar, their pedagogy is awful: scattered, incomplete, and rigid even when wrong. (I suspect plenty of their French, and unnatural English is all too common.). They used to have a discussion section where you could bring up problems, or get explanations of underinstructed areas from the user community. It’s gone now.

Rafaele

Duolingo evaluation

Reviewed on 30/08/2021

Pros

Duolingo is an excellent app for language learning aid, easy to use, has several lessons and stages. It has a very beautiful layout, which helps us spend more time using it. Your trophy program is interesting to do more lessons and the app is always sending a message with your rating to encourage access and learnin

Cons

I believe that when taking the test to check the user's level, it would be interesting for him to show the eliminated units as completed, the duolingo even jumps, but it does not show the circle as fully filled. The activities also have to be redone in a short time for the circle to keep all filled, which ends up making us go back several times in the same lesson, hindering a little the evolution to other levels. A more specific unit focused on alphabets and numbers would also be nice.

Afnan

good app

Reviewed on 14/10/2022

I like the app I use it daily they encourage you to study every day with notifications and Competitions ,so I recommended people to use it

Pros

you can choose more than one language to learn at the same time ,and you can find all the language approximately ,so you can learn languages you can't find in internet ,and guess what all of this for free ,the most thing that I really love about this app is you can Compete with other people from different countries and that cheers you up to learn more ,and they give you many Strategies to teach you listening writing speaking it is lovely app I believe.

Cons

the one thing that I didn't like about this app ,The language is not strong enough I mean there is some problem in sentence formation ,I hope they improve this side of it.

Andile
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Duolingo Changed My Life!

Reviewed on 15/12/2021

In overall, I love Duolingo. I find myself watching French movies now and understanding something that I never did but of course I still refer to subtitles to confirm that I am on the right track. My reason for learning a new language is for exercising my brain and keeping it sharp.

Pros

For starters, Duolingo is free despite the fact that it teaches you a whole new language, a language that can change your life in terms of improving your cv, giving your brain a sharp memory etc. I like that Duolingo sends me emails or notifications everyday when he realizes I may have forgotten about the lessons because most times I would have. Duolingo has very interesting French lessons that are also part of the lessons. They are really interesting and make you want to continue reading and studying.

Cons

When I am recording my voice in response to what Duo wants me to say, I realize that the speech recognition is not that precise. At times I hear myself pronounce badly and be ready to say it again but Duo does not hear it properly and marks as pronounced properly. The speech recognition is lacking a bit and I believe can be improved.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Greatest language app to discover or build a level on any languages!

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

I use it daily! Whatt I love the most is that it's a complete learning experience : I can read, hear and talk the language. I have to translate in my language or express myself in the foreign langage. It's the key to be able to fully make progress to me

Pros

I use it daily, each morning! I love the way the learning journey is built. Usually it can be hard to have enough usefull vocabulary hen learning by ourselves a language because we start with the easy words. The app builds a strong path to be able to speak on many subjects , for holidays in the region, work, ..

Cons

The only small point I do not really like about the app, is the recommendation of which lesson to continue. Sometimes I feel ready with level 1 on a topic and do not want to spend more time on the notion and only jump on the next