PyCharm

4.6/5
4.5/5
4.2/5

Omar

This is JetBrains' gift to software engineers and Developers around the world !

Reviewed on 19/09/2021

My overall experience has been great thus far. I believe I will continue to use it in my professional career. I would absolutely recommend this product for any software engineer, machine learning engineer or even a data scientist who wants to do some scripting work.

Pros

I have been using this IDE for a short time now. I must say it extremely amazing. I love how convenient and easy it is to use. The layout is fantastic. Having everything present in a single place like that definitely makes my life much easier as an engineer .The code editing tools are amazing, the code improvement recommendation system that they have is definitely a plus to have, sometimes the IDE recommends me to do certain actions I would have never have thought of on my own. Also it helps finish my code blocks automatically which is great. I also like how I could split the screen multiple parts fairly easily for code review. I could go on and on. I would definitely recommend Pycharm or any JetBrains product for that matter. They work incredibly hard and it shows in their work. In short Pycharm is awesome and I recommend you start using it.

Cons

I don't have any major critiques of the IDE but I would say perhaps having a co-pilot would be an incredible improvement to make it an even better IDE. Other than that I have no issues with it.

Stepan

Real great Pycharm

Reviewed on 17/10/2022

PyCharm is utilized by me for coding in python, fundamentally I have involved it for the django system, I have created django site utilizing this PyCharm IDE, sorting out the code in PyCharm without difficulty is exceptionally simple. With PyCharm, the envelope game plan is exceptionally simple. It is likewise extremely simple to utilize terminal to run code.
It is the most ideal for web improvement utilizing django, the envelopes are truly organized subsequent to making a django project. We can without much of a stretch make project from ui or from console, both are reasonable. it is exceptionally simple to make project and oversee it since projects are very much organized. truly love every one of the elements of PyCharm.

Pros

IDE
troubleshooting
data set devices
web advancement
python web structure
live alter
intelligent python console

Cons

the UI of PyCharm should be improved
console should be more responsive
environment setup sometimes hang
how about something like ai which can predict your code

Gustavo
  • Industry: Computer Games
  • Used for 2+ years

You can do better (and worse, too)

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

I don't like it very much. Interacting with PyCharm (in other ways than just writing code) is frequently slow and confusing. The last couple of times I opened it, I immediately closed it and opened VSCode instead. I keep it installed anyway, as it did help me quite a bit back when I had to build a compiler from the ground up. If you really, REALLY need an IDE, then I guess you could do worse than PyCharm.

Pros

Easy package searching and installation once the initial setup is done. It has plenty of debugging features, and it's handy to keep track of a large project.

Cons

It's not exactly lightweight. Using it to install Python on my Windows machine turned out to be quite a hassle. I've been using it for years, and while it's decent for medium to large projects, there is really no reason to use it if all you need is a short script.

Ryan

Pycharm for Software Developers

Reviewed on 06/08/2022

Overall, I found Pycharm an IDE that I would be using for the next few years and I don't think that I am switching soon. It offers a lot of handy features that I am currently utilizing when developing software. One of which is Git integration, debugging code without using pdb, viewing databases, viewing dataframes while debugging and comparing specific files to specific branches.

Pros

The most impactful features for me is first the debugging. Pycharm lets you debug a program just by simply setting a breakpoint and it also offers a console and a tab to watch the variables. second feature it the Git integration, this is very useful especially I frequently push my code remotely and it also helps me track the Git tree structure when I am rebasing to master. Third feature is the database viewer, Pycharm database viewer is really handy since you don't need to have a seprate client to view your database. It's a one tool that offers the full development experience.

Cons

Pycharm might not be that useful when used by beginner programmers. Although most of the features are available out of the box, it is not that straightforward to use especially when you are still starting your development career.

Microsoft Visual Studio and Sublime Text

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Pycharm dominates in terms of builtin features. I do not need to install additional plugin for the things that I need in development. for example, using Git, debugging code, viewing dataframes while debugging and viewing database.
Silvio

My opinion on PyCharm after 3 years

Reviewed on 17/08/2019

I quite like the overall experience, I think is a very mature tool and I have suggested it to all my colleagues working with Python Django.

Pros

What I do really like about PyCharm is the search features. I think they are really useful and work great!

Cons

Would be nice when working on a Django project have directly the HTML markdown syntax highlighting for Django templating language. Also I would really love to have the git annotate function as in VS code (instead of having a sidebar having a comment like line whit the git author on the highlighted line). Sometimes I had trouble with the Python interpreter going crazy and had to reset it. Also the markdown syntax highlighting for .MD files is superheavy and the computer slows down

Sonam

Great Python Specific IDE

Reviewed on 06/11/2022

Pros

When used by novice programmers, Pycharm might not be all that helpful. Even though the majority of the capabilities are accessible right out of the box, it is not very easy to use, especially if you are just beginning your programming career.

Cons

It is simple to start using, set up, adjust, and utilize. Although it comes with a highly useable configuration out of the box, there is a lot of freedom for each user to customize it how they see fit. The variety of plug-ins available enables more customization than the base product could possibly provide.

Maitri

Pycharm review

Reviewed on 06/11/2022

Pros

It is utilized by several organizational divisions to create Web applications and machine learning techniques. Compared to what we previously utilized, the Python debugging capabilities is superior. It offers direction when scripting. For locating and replacing elements in a program, module, or route, as well as for navigating to different sections of code, there are several keyboard shortcuts available. We are able to comprehend what is happening more clearly and develop and read better code.

Cons

It uses a lot of resources and is hefty. It is also missing a step-by-step manual that would explain the software's basic, intermediate, and advanced functions to the user. If I had known about some options that I only discovered much later, I could have completed some jobs more quickly or easily.

Tallapally
  • Industry: Banking

PyCharm is the most effective Python IDE and debugger available!

Reviewed on 03/10/2022

The best tool for boosting Python developers' efficiency is PyCharm. An comprehensive development environment that works well. The autocomplete syntax option is quite beneficial and saves a ton of work, which speeds up turnaround.

Pros

What not, I can do everything in this editor like web development, AI/ML, adding extensions etc.,

Cons

Somewhat tough to configure for beginners.

tshilidzi
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Number one IDE for python development

Reviewed on 09/11/2022

Best IDE with complete neat features for python development.

Pros

I like how I can properly debug my code, install and uninstall my packages, the user interface is outstanding simple and user friendly.

Cons

It is the best IDE for me so I do not really dislike anything.

twisha

Recommended for python developers

Reviewed on 18/09/2022

Pros

Very convenient to use for python development, it handles all the project dependencies putting less burden on the developers

Cons

I wish if there could be a free version of Pycharm for beginners to get some exposure to the tool

Christian
  • Industry: Insurance

Best Python Specific IDE

Reviewed on 09/06/2022

I use PyCharm every day to build and maintain Python and Django applications.

Pros

It’s easy to use, configure, customize, and get started with. Out of the box, it’s configured in a very usable way but offers great flexibility per user on how they want it to be set up. The plug-ins available are vast and allows further customization beyond what the core product could ever offer.

Cons

It’s built on Java, so it can be a batter and system resource hog at times. Optimizing what folders it ignores so it doesn’t re-index all the time is important for bigger projects.

Marc
  • Industry: Research

One IDE for every application

Reviewed on 16/03/2022

With PyCharm I have written the code of my bachelor thesis, my first job, my master thesis and now my PhD thesis.

I would choose PyCharm again and again, because everything is really available and if that is not the case, plugins can be added easily.

Pros

Especially since Python is the most used programming language in the area of data science, PyCharm is ideal to support these scientific processes through various data science plugins.

Especially with regard to the possibility that plugins can be integrated, that these plugins are developed by a lively community, and that PyCharm enables their integration in an uncomplicated way, PyCharm appears to be the ideal IDE.

Furthermore, PyCharm offers an all-round package of useful functionalities and comfort features with the necessary distance to the developer to support but not to override and increase the workload.

Cons

There are no real counter-arguments, as PyCharm is self-contained at its core and guarantees just the right level of convenience features and necessities for smooth operations.

However, the main feature of PyCharm is the integration of plugins.
These can then lead to problems accordingly, whereby these errors are not introduced by PyCharm but by external developers.

Ilaria
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

The best environment for Python developers

Reviewed on 23/12/2021

My experience with PyCharm has been very positive. The interface is pleasant, it is easy to open new files from the same directory, any folder can be opened as a PyCharm project and every extension can be opened, such as readmes. PyCharm has auto-saving, which is useful in case of crashes, and automatically re-opens the last project I was working on when I restart it which decreases the time taken before I can start working. The integration with GitHub makes collaborating really easy. Overall, I would recommend it, as it greatly simplifies the job of a developer and makes it pleasant.

Pros

My favourite parts of this IDE are the integration with GitHub, which is simple and immediate, with the possibility to right away download a project from a shared repository. Furthermore, the interface is pleasant, installing new packages is easy to do within the interface without the use of pip install, and now there is also the new option for collaborating live - which is promising, although I have not tried it yet. The suggestions for code completion are relevant and greatly speed up the job of writing code. Import statements are sometimes imported automatically from previous code pieces. Having a JetBrains account makes it easy to keep changes across OS and computers.

Cons

One of the least intuitive things with PyCharm is starting a virtual environment for every code that needs to be run, and making the packages available to each python file: every time a new python file is created in a new directory, the virtual environment needs to be imported from a previous instance (or re-created, but this involves re-installing the packages). It could be nice to make the virtual environment available to every file by default, such that packages are always available. In some cases, it is also hard to install the latest version, thereby an older version has to be installed. This is not beneficial.

One stop solution for Python enthusiasts

Reviewed on 18/08/2022

It was a great experience for me to use Pycharm so far. I have been using this IDE for my day-to-day tasks as a data science professional. The only issue I had with it is the high RAM usage which slows down my work often.

Pros

I found its user-friendly UI self-explanatory, making it easier to navigate. It gives the flexibility to install packages, build ML models and deploy.

Cons

Too much resource hungry and consumes up a lot of RAM during use.

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

Pycharm is the clear choice considering my work related to data science

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Pycharm is more suitable for my data science-related work.

What is the best Python editor in the world?

Reviewed on 13/07/2022

I became a fan of PaySharm because it offers a lot of great features that save a lot of time, I advise everyone to use it for a general reason I loved it is that it has an auto-save feature, so that if the device suddenly crashes, your project will be safe.

Pros

I learned the basics of the Python language from simple editors like Spyder, and after I had enough experience, I started moving to a bigger and more professional editor, so I chose pycham and started to delve into it because it has stronger, more in-depth and powerful features, it is easy to use and has an easy and simple user interface.
The program allows code analysis and error detection very quickly and has a powerful graphical debugger, and the important thing is that it works on data science applications in the Anaconda library.
Baycharm provides multiple colors for the programming entities and thus provides comfort in work, and this is known as (syntax highlighting).
One of the powerful features that I liked is Code Navigation, which is one of the features that allows navigation between classes, thus helping to save time and effort
It can be used on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.

Cons

Performance issues may occur when running on CPUs because it requires a lot of memory space.
Sometimes it takes a long time to download, also the most important and wonderful features are available in paid versions only

Carlos Hugo Martin

Experience with PyCharm

Reviewed on 03/01/2022

For big data or analytics project

Pros

That takes projects to the features that python offers, allowing to facilitate coding as well as code testing directly and efficiently. Your requirements are not high.

Cons

The interface does not allow you to have several projects open at the same time, having to open several instances of the software to be able to work.

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

The ease of portability, coding and low resource consumption.

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

Because it has the characteristics that we need from other products, in addition to low resource consumption.

Why Pycharm is the Best Python Editor ?

Reviewed on 02/04/2022

I've been using it for a few months now and feel comfortable working with it, I started in university when I started learning Python it was with a different editor which is Spyder, but when I finished the basics and started progressing, everyone advised me to use Pycharm.

Pros

I am going to talk now and tell you why this editor is my favorite among the other editors in the Python language.
You should know first that it is an advanced editor than the other editors . So why is it better? This is due to the fact that it provides you with some tools that will save you time when writing the code, and as we programmers know the importance of time for us, I used it for months and I am now very comfortable working with it, I spent a year before that in the Spyder editor,after that I decided to move forward and use other editors, and after going deeper, everyone told me that PyCharm is a superb editor, and indeed, after what I personally used, I was convinced why it is so.
It is also nice that there is a free and paid version of it for those who want to get other advantages, the editor is working on Linux / macOS / Windows.
I also advise beginners to start using it, for the beginning is to take the basics and not build large projects, if you use the editor ؛PyCharm or the editor Spyder will not differentiate this topic.

Cons

One of the negatives that I encountered is the slowness when running, not very slow, but it is rather noticeable, also when using it for the first time you need to adjust the default settings unlike the Spyder editor, its use is direct and very easy.

Anik
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best Python IDE from JetBrains for aplication development

Reviewed on 11/07/2022

It is my daily tool for development of python programming tasks for research assignments. Also it is good in debugging and code inspection.

Pros

For research work I am using Python to optimize my performance parameters, therefore I required a great tool for Python coding and using PyCharm, I found a great tool which is the best in current era. It is highly customizable and lots of additional plugin in available online. So I use it regularly for my research and development work.

Cons

It is bit costly software and sometimes it fridges the laptop performance due to high memory consumption.

• Industry: Program Development

Best IDE I've ever used

Reviewed on 08/01/2020

Great tool for a Python developer... It makes it easier for version control and library installations. 3rd party plugin support enriches the experience. Library installation is a lot easier than any other IDE. Its support for 'requrements.txt' is also another big plus. It also displays if an error occurs and suggests ways to resolve the issue. And I was able to resolve the said issue with the suggested (most of the time).

Pros

I am mainly using PyCharm for my school projects. The thing about PyCharm is its support for Git (version control). We are using BitBucket in the company and I think it is much better and easy to use than the SourceTree. And it is foolproof. PyCharm also excels at its support for 3rd party plugins. They don't force you to use their plugins. It also has its own terminal for the selected Python environment. This reduces the confusion both for me and for the PC itself. The UI also helped me to get used to PyCharm. It is easy to modify and not complicated. Different themes for the IDE help me to use PyCharm, especially during the night time (It has a dark theme).

Cons

There are a couple of things I don't like about the PyCharm. First thing is that its suggestions for pieces for codes are a little off. I mean, most of the time it suggests unrelated things. I am forced to use another 3rd party plugin to solve this issue. Another thing about the PyCharm is its debugging mode is really slow. It suggests me to install Cython plugin to speed it up. I tried but instead of speed gain, it slowed down. And I don't think it is because of my PyCharm environment since my friends have also experienced a similar issue.

Edwin

Best integrated environment for coding with python

Reviewed on 27/07/2021

I would say it is among the best IDEs have ever used to code python. It is easy to install and indeed I would like people to use it if you want not only to learn python from beginner level to pro level but also if you want to develop good and projects using python.

Pros

First of all installation of PyCharm is easy, you don't to have expertise to use it. Another thing I like about it is the error removal ability. PyCharm enables you as the user to identify errors easily as you code thereby you can make correct changes easily and faster. One can easily integrate it easily with GitHub, using the push component it is easily for one to update his code in GitHub account. Lastly is the plugins it has, it enables one to code in different languages as compared to other integrated development environment.

Cons

First what I dislike about this software is its hanging feature, incase your computer's speed and RAM is low then you are likely to have difficulty coding with this IDE. Though it can be used in various environments or programming languages, it will be difficult for an illiterate person to use or interact with it. I don't have much negative about this software since have not used it for a long time but I would prefer to use the pro version since it has more features and tools but it is relatively much expensive.

Anaconda

Reasons for Switching to PyCharm

It is integrated with many components thereby enabling one to use it with different frameworks or environments.
Pawan

Best IDE for Python

Reviewed on 04/03/2021

So when it comes to the Python programming language, Pycharm is the best choice considering both its great collection of features and some cons it has.

Pros

I use Pycharm most of my time for doing Python programming and I use it in both my Windows and Linux as its cross-platform. It has integration with version control, anaconda, ipython, pylint, and others which makes it easier for programmers like me. It has an intelligent code editor which enhances code readability by color schemes for keywords, functions, classes, syntax, and error highlighting. Also, it provides error identification and quick fixes for it where the error occurs. I love debugging the python code with its powerful debugger tool. I usually use the rename refactoring feature which makes my programming faster. Also, I love the autocompletion feature with the Django web framework and Flask. It has a lot of plugins and also selectable light and dark theme to switch for day and nighttime. It has integration with Git and I can run git commands in the Pycharm terminal or perform Git operations with its GUI. It has support for multiple projects so I can switch from one project easily and also good database support.

Cons

It is a great IDE with a huge collection but it needs memory more than other IDE available so it may lag sometimes. The community edition is available for free but it's only for pure python development so it would be best if its Pro version is available for a better price as it's expensive.

• Industry: Civil Engineering

Best Python IDE with support for other languages

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

I don't use Python as much as R, but I appreciate having an excellent IDE to make my projects more efficient, better scripted, and more robust.

Pros

The layout and features are excellent for data science and data analysis projects. The GUI is clean and user friendly. The pricing structure is fair and allows for perpetual ownership of a version of the software even if you stop subscribing (within certain requirements). Extra addons and third party plugins make it even better. It also now includes R support too, so it can be a single IDE for all data projects.

Cons

On first opening the software, the screen can feel and look pretty cluttered. It can feel a little overwhelming, but once you get used to it, the interface is really well designed.

Microsoft Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code

Reasons for Choosing PyCharm

Visual Studio is a wonderful software but it is really designed for pure code not data work. PyCharm is for data work.
Khush
  • Industry: Research

Excellent IDE software

Reviewed on 17/06/2022

Has been a charm.

Pros

PyCharm is one of the best IDE out there. Has amazing host if features.

Cons

The software is compute intensive and is heavy.

Better offering

Better offering.
Matthew
  • Industry: Environmental Services

The best Python IDE?

Reviewed on 15/09/2019

PyCharm has provided a useful suite of functionality for the development team here. It's become so ingrained that I struggle to imagine us using anything else.

Pros

PyCharm provides a great suite of features for Python development, but the two features I appreciate the most are the IntelliJ plugin ecosystem, giving access to useful or niche functionality not otherwise available in mainstream IDEs and the remote interpreter functionality, allowing me to automatically deploy and run code on remote machines.

Cons

It's a minor complaint, but PyCharm sometimes fails to respect the default interpreter setting, meaning it must be manually set on a project-by-project basis.

Visual Studio Code
Zach

Good choice if you are looking for a heavier, feature-oriented Python IDE

Reviewed on 31/10/2021

Overall, it was a slow text editor for me, and I wasn't able to get all of the advanced features to work well in my environment. In other environments or if one decides to spend a lot of time in the configuration, it might eventually pay off. However, I'm personally more interested in a slimmer code editor.

Pros

There are a lot of features built into PyCharm. The code completion which is like an intellisense is very handy. There are nice contextual features like jumping to a definition of a variable, method, class, etc.

Cons

All of the features makes the software bulkier and ultimately a slower experience. I also never got to use some of the more advanced features because they didn't play well with my environment. I use projects based on buildout, and although there is buildout support built in, I found it too hard to set up and work out all of the kinks, so I ended up not even using most of those advanced features.