PowerDirector

Video editing tool for publishing and sharing videos

4.3/5
4.3/5
4.4/5
4.0/5

Rishu

Overall Best Editor

Reviewed on 01/09/2022

It makes it easier to create videos for youtube and IGTV faster. The clean UI helps me to think creatively. Overall this software is the best of all I have used till the date.

Pros

As a social media content creator I found It a way lot easier to use than softwares like premier pro and Da Vinci Resolve. It has all neccessary features like green screen, blending, stock library, etc.
The motion tracking feature works nicely. The best part is that it I can use different plug-ins to maximize my work quality.

Cons

There is no any serious cons in this software but it should have more and trending text transitions and sometimes the software slow downs for which I have to reopen it.

Eero
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Good editor for simple quick edits

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

I bought it on my phone first to edit some phone videos for fun. I liked it, so I bought the computer version. I am using it for quick edits and video combining, but I feel that for color-grading, video stabilization and some other tasks it is not robust enough. For those tasks I am using Da Vinci Resolve. It is much better, and it is also free. This is why I rate PowerDirector a bit expensive.

Pros

Powerdirector is light-weight when comparing to the more robust video editing software out there, so it can be used with a slightly less powerful computer. It also has much less functionalities and confusing buttons, so it is a good starting point for someone wanting to learn video editing.

Cons

There are some limitations that I have encountered - however, those missing functionalities might be added in the most recent version. A basic user is most likely not going to miss anything. Another thing I don't like is their move to the software as a service pricing model. This is why I stopped buying their products.

Reasons for Choosing PowerDirector

I had a Premiere version that just started to get too old, and didn't want to go forward and start paying Adobe monthly to use their software, as I was rarely using it.

Adobe Premiere Pro

Reasons for Switching to PowerDirector

I had good experiences with PowerDirector on my phone so after testing some of the other "lighter" video editors, I chose to buy PowerDirector.
Roldan

If you're not a pro, then this is for you!

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

Good! Way back, I though of it as the most advanced video editing software I have, not until I realize - After Effects and Premiere is waving at me. Yup, I recommend this editor for simple users who don't need elaborate learning curve. It's simple with editable templates and collateral.

Pros

- Simple straight forward video editing software. Though, they have done improvements on this since I have used this software way back 2009. - Templates are readily available.- Text animations, video transitions, color grading in couple of clicks.- Easy to learn. You don't have to sweat it out. So, this is not for pro editors. This is best for Vloggers with linear contents.- Libraries to help you out is available.- Free version is also available to try out.- Fast and quick render.

Cons

- Rendering and preview engine is not that good. Sometimes the project freezes and lags. They need to improve on this one.- Watermarks on free version. Which you need to understand as free user. - I just guess that the software is not maximizing the thread of your computer. It sometimes cause slowdowns.- Not for pro users.

Jonathan
  • Industry: Photography

J.L. PowerDirector Review

Reviewed on 15/11/2022

PowerDirector can be considered one of the best editing software to use for beginners when editing short or long form content on any mobile device. However, if you're someone who values your time to get the job done, PowerDirector is not the one for you. Editors who want to gain the full experience from PowerDirector, but lack the money, will unfortunately have no other choice but to pay to use their premium features. All in all, this is a good editing software to begin your journey in the process of content creation.

Pros

The almost precise naviagtion and cutting features when dealing with clips down to the frames. So I don't have much difficulty when editing on a smartphone or tablet.

Cons

The export qualities given restrict videos that were originally higher than 1080p. Alongside this issue, the export process is very time comsuming despite a great amount of free storage, and progress is lost when you exit the application.

Mark

Easy Video Editing

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

After developing a good workflow, PowerDirector enabes me to efficiently edit and upload videos to YouTube. I feel very comfortable with its interface and I'm keen to learn more videoing skills.

Pros

I came to video editing with absolutely no experience as a result of the COVID pandemic and the need to produce a video and upload to YouTube. After researching other products, I setted on Cyberlink's PowerDirector 365. The product has a relatively easy learning curve. I like the uncluttered user interface and everything logically organised on the monitor. The use of the GPU when rendering videos saves lots of time.

Cons

More advanced sound editing requires the purchase of the separate application AudioDirector which requires PowerDirector to close and open this app.

Lightworks, Filmora and OpenShot Video Editor

Reasons for Switching to PowerDirector

Much easier learning curve and range of editing options
John
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

PowerDirector is a good-value robust editor with lots of features and many available tutorials.

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

I became quite comfortable with editing and putting together a weekly YouTube video for the past few years. I have no reason to change at present.

Pros

It is robust and rarely crashes unless you try to rush it beyond your hardware capabilities. It also seems very efficient at processing the final video.

Cons

Sound editing has limitation unless you opt for the Power Director Suites that includes Audio Director. You probably save time and get the most value by using one of the Suites. Personally, I use other sound editing software and don't need Audio Director.

Adobe Premiere Pro

Reasons for Choosing PowerDirector

I considered an upgrade to existing software but Power Director offered better value and proved to be very robust after doing a trial.

Power Director 365 was a less expensive and feature packed option
Mike
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great software for titles and plugins but pass for long complicated projects.

Reviewed on 05/03/2022

I use PowerDirector for titles and for some cool animation sequences. But for editing full length projects, I prefer an alternative editing program.

Pros

The plugins and animated titles are great for the price.

Cons

The editing is clunky compared to other programs and doesn't have to shortcuts necessary for quick editing.

VEGAS Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro

Reasons for Switching to PowerDirector

It has some neat built in features that are easy to apply.
Safiya

Good video editor

Reviewed on 09/11/2022

PowerDirector is very a good video editor. I had a monthly PowerDirector subscription. I liked it but I wasn't sure I wanted to purchase it outright and the subscription cost too much. None of the others were as good as PowerDirector so I invested in the outright purchase. It has absolutely paid off.

Pros

I love using PowerDirector since I can really let my creativity shine. The color matching stands out since I've never been impressed with it in others. PowerDirector also has 3D editing and access to stock photography. I love the transitions and effects.

Cons

I want the monthly subscription cost to be lowered.I also want it to be more user friendly.

• Industry: Media Production

Highly recommended!!

Reviewed on 04/11/2022

Pros

I just recently started a youtube channel - making a lyrics video. Initially I started with subtitle edit software which took me almost half days to complete a single one! Since start editing with powerdirector, it saves a lot of time in creating music videos and I am also satisfied with all the features offered by this. Unbelievably, it is super easy - a very good platform for a beginner like me in this field. The most important is due to the high quality video outputs, I have now significant amount of viewers! Thanks PowerDirector.

Cons

Not really much to say the drawback of this software - probably the cost? But again, it is much cheaper and reasonable in compared with others.

Anthony
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

This is one of my favorite video editing apps

Reviewed on 18/10/2022

Pretty great software it is one I have recommended to a lot of family and friends

Pros

It is easy to use and there are plenty of great tools to use with it, for example there is a subtitle section and you can make chapters on it too!

Cons

The chromakey although it is relatively good takes some getting used to adjusting it properly.

Gabriella
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

A beginner-friendly review after using PowerDirector for 3 years+

Reviewed on 19/01/2021

My experience with PowerDirector has been good, starting off and learning it has helped me to be able to use other video editing software. I switched from using PowerDirector as I need basic video editing functionality and I have found a free alternative program.

Pros

PowerDirector was the first video editing software I started with and I used it for over three. It's intuitive to learn even when you do not have any experience. It takes some effort and getting used to but I was able to start without online tutorials or a manual.
Additionally, If you learn it you will be able to use most video editors with minimal challenges. The sample videos that come with it are helpful more especially when you are starting and you are not sure how to import media.
The user interface is polished and has a premium feel about it, this makes for a positive user experience, encouraging you to explore more, and as a result, being familiar and learning the software.
One of the most important beginner-friendly functionality that I found useful when I was starting was the preview window. In the preview window, you can see your video playing, in PowerDirector the track slider/ seek bar is functional, this is not always the case in other editors.
Since the preview window is similar to most video players it feels familiar and starting to edit from there (vs on the tracks) gets you started quicker. This allowed me to do edits while still familiarize myself with more functionality.
PowerDirector also has a mobile version on Playstore, that I have used recently. It's very easy to start with, you do not need to register, and it's free with an optional upgrade.

Cons

I like PowerDirector’s user interface but its a bit on the heavy side, it can run on an entry-level processor with 4GBs of RAM but with a struggle.
Another note is that installation and rendering on an entry-level machine can take a lot of time.

I feel PowerDirector is a mid-range video editor, and has a reasonable price point compared to advance video editing software however if you are a beginner and/or just need basic editing functionality it's not ideal.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

A Content Creator's Wet Dream! 📹

Reviewed on 24/10/2020

It's an exceptionally well-crafted piece of software, it works well with most devices, and a person who has never edited software a day in his/her life can navigate and utilize the software. All and all, it's pretty awesome!

Pros

There is a whole bunch of editing software out there. Trust me, I know! The worst thing I had to do when I decided to start a youtube channel was finding the right editing software. I spent months searching for something that didn't confuse the hell out of me! Finally, I came across PowerDirector. Now the first thing you need to know is that PowerDirector is super easy to use. It's incredibly helpful, user-friendly, and flexible. Copy and pasting pictures, as well as downloading music is awesome. It also has filters, background color choices, video transition options, opening and end credits options that you can edit to your specifications, also a myriad of fonts and colors. Volume and audio editing features, as well as skin smoothing, panning, (that's when you do a close up then back to the regular video, for those who don't know). The saving feature varies from saving on your device to your gallery, as well as your dropbox, or social media.

Cons

There is no clear way to overlay. The feature is hard to come by. In case you don't what I am talking about, it means that if you want a video over another video for some reason you can't get that. When you add a video clip it goes to the end of your video, no matter if you put it in the position you want.

Jeremy
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Of All the Great Video Editors in the World, Cyberlink PowerDirector Is One of Them

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

(Note: This review is based on PowerDirector 15, which is not the most recent edition.) Are there better video editors out there? Oh, sure. HitFilm is more powerful and professional. Vegas is, well, I don’t use Vegas, so I can’t be sure, but it’s more popular it seems! Camtasia has a built-in editor right there with its screen recording software. And then there’s Adobe and all of its “value for the money” and really useful plugins. But are they easier to use? Will any of them run on a weak computer with no graphics card? While I can’t say Cyberlink PowerDirector is easier to use, because I don’t use the others, I can say it’s nevertheless easy, intuitive, and comes with enough features to ensure your video looks fine in an aggressive YouTube market. It also has a fair bit of useful screen templates available on its community plugin pages. And, perhaps most importantly, it can render your video, even if you run on an integrated graphics card (at least this is true on PowerDirector 15, which is what I use). HitFilm can’t do that. I’ve tried!

Pros

Easy, easy, easy to use. Most of it is intuitive. Even getting your plugins from Cyberlink’s homepage is pretty straightforward. Now, more nuanced tactics like keyframe editing and blending modes are trickier and take some practice. But once you figure out the best technique for applying them, it’s pretty easy to get back into the flow of things. Even though I got my copy in a bundle a few years ago, recent editions are also reasonably affordable. Integrates well with Cyberlink’s other products. Being able to render videos on an integrated graphics card is a bonus.

Cons

There aren’t many plugins that really standout, making a video’s overall quality inferior to anything produced in a higher end product like HitFilm or Adobe Premiere. Its native special effects, while fine, are also limited. Adjusting sound in a clip is challenging, as there’s no great way to get those sliders exactly to where you want them. And getting the finest controls, like color grading, requires other premium Cyberlink products. But these are picky things, not worth passing on if your budget is too tight for the higher end products.

Robbie

Budget Video Editor with useful tools

Reviewed on 09/02/2021

PowerDirector is a great budget video editor that likely has more features than the vast majority of users will need. Up to 3 videos can occupy the same space, whether you decide to have one as picture in picture, or split screen, etc. Individual videos can be cropped, can have adjustments in color, brightness, etc. Transitions between pictures or videos are also useful. The "AudioDirector" tools are a hidden gem, and it will export the audio from a video, allow you to apply equalizers, boosts, and moderate sound effects. Compression is another option in the editing. Once done, it returns it to the video. This is true of ANY edit to the audio. So, when there were times when the audio was out of sync with the video originally, I could edit the audio slightly, and when returned to the video, it was a SEPARATE file that I could "nudge" until it was properly aligned. That is tedious to be sure, but I am thankful for the option. I use the audio features as much as the video at this point. Recently I have learned to use chroma (green screen). It is ok, not flawless, but it does allow fun options in changing backgrounds. I have a hard time completely eliminating the slight green glow at the edges, but maybe there is more fine tuning I can do. My hair is fine, and the green slightly shows through it.

Pros

I feel this software is reasonably intuitive once you get over the initial learning curve (and no matter what software one has, the initial learning of how it works takes time).

Cons

Very little that I dislike. I wish it "produced" the videos faster, but that will be true of all, I'm sure. I most recently upgraded to "365," but I REALLY do not like subscription software. I prefered when I owned a version and used it for a few years. During COVID I felt it was important enough to keep it up to date.

Jayla
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

App Is Amazing for Movie Making And YouTube!

Reviewed on 23/03/2020

Amazing on the compute, still helpful on the tablet! I like the PC version more and I find it super useful for YouTube!

Pros

I love how you can have it in all devices! I love all the features put in free trial mode, its the best software out there! Its got all my favorite effects when a picture or a video transitions to the next, such cool effects! I love how there is free music to use and no limit to how long a video can be. Useful for school projects!
Fast rendering on PC and great source of free images and backgrounds to choose from.

Cons

The thing that always bothered me was the watermark but thats no big deal, I understand why its there.
On the phone or Android should add more features and a more similar set up as the PC version because it feels like using 2 different apps. I don't like how the PC has more features than the android, android should have more cool transition effects. android seems to take hours to render the video but the PC renders super fast.

FERNANDO

Short but, good review

Reviewed on 06/05/2021

Pros

This is the first app in which I learned to edit videos and I think it is great, since to date I continue to use it to edit my visual content in videos or audio, it is very easy to use and understand

Cons

I think it needs updating in special effects, however it is better than movie maker

Stella
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

This is the best video editing software

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

This is the best video editing software

Pros

I could say the best feature of this software is its price. I could be starting editing my videos in a short time so I could say this is a very user-friendly app with basic and premium features including overlay effects. I also appreciate its capacity of storing the videos on the Cloud

Cons

There is no relevant I could say badly about this software and I congratulate the developers.

FXhome

Final Cut Pro

A fantastic video editing tool

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

I just love how creating small videos for my business has now become so easy. I can use any images I want and I love the way we can make our videos look more or less professional which helps to generate more leads and customers.

Pros

It is so easy to use. You can add any images you want to your videos. I have also used the software to cut longer video shorter for me needs for advertising. It has plenty of features for editing existing and new videos. Not only can it be used for basic editing, it can also be used for trimming, text overlays, adding audio and animations. I also love that there are tutorials that you can watch which really help a lot. It is the best video editor I have used so far.

Cons

Each time I go into the software I get a notification to buy the paid version. They should have an upgrade button at the top for when we want to upgrade instead. It's just pretty annoying. There is no ultra-wide format or custom ratios to choose from. You only get 4:3 or 16:19. We should be able to choose our ratios ourselves.

Alphonsus
  • Industry: Media Production

PowerDirector - A Wonderful Software Editing System Unless it Crashes

Reviewed on 12/09/2019

I for the most part enjoyed using PowerDirector when editing videos. It has been a blast and sometimes a struggle with having to recuperate work lost. Regardless, this is a great entry video editor for anyone that is looking to get involved with the craft. Just got to get used to the rare crash, which is a part of every video editor's bane.

Pros

I liked the friendly user interface to seamlessly go from folder to folder to set up my timeline. I felt that the words were bright enough for me to read and that the organization options have great default settings. This gave me more incentive to not have much setup involved outside of the usual importing of videos.

Cons

There was a crash or two in the software during editing. The progress was last updated when I first updated it, which negated an hour or two of work that I have put in. I thought there would be more updates as to its recovery feature, but no use.

Matt

PowerDirector : The Best Video Editor Software for Beginners

Reviewed on 13/11/2021

Quite an impressive experience. I love the mobile app; it makes me productive when I am on the go. I can count a thousand times that PowerDirector had helped me when I needed a quick and easy way to edit my videos. PowerDirector also offers a vast range of tools, and I could download packs - special effects, titles, background music, and cool AI Style Packs.

Pros

It is intuitively user-friendly, highly functional, and you get excellent quality. The mobile app is my go-to video editor when I am on the go and when I want to edit and send something quickly. I am also able to import, export and edit 4K videos which is a huge plus.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to trim voice-over clips accurately, making it difficult to synchronise audio and video. Also, render preview can be slow; it takes a lot of time. Other than that, everything is impressive for a beginner.

Erica

Powerdirector is second to none

Reviewed on 28/03/2020

It is the best I have used so far and I have used a lot of them

Pros

First of all this video editing software comes with so many good features that I find very commendable. It suits almost all your editing needs. A wide range of video formats is supported including 4k. It is also fast in rendering but you can make it even faster by optimising GPU hardware acceleration. What I really like about it is that it is compatible with Chromebook

Cons

As with most video editors you need a high-end video graphics card to enjoy it and that depends on your pocket. This takes nothing away from this amazing software

Mohammed

Great for all kinds of video projects

Reviewed on 20/06/2021

My overall experience with PD has been very good. My biggest struggle with video projects has always been having to go online to find compatible pieces to complete my final output. With PD paid subscription however, I no longer have to spend hours on YouTube digging for copywriter free content, I find everything I need right in the expansive libraries of stock videos and images. This has significantly improved my effeciency and output quality.

Pros

My favorite feature of Power Director is it's ease in handling both photo and video editing. Most competing software are purposely built for only one, but not both. So it definitely makes it easier working on projects that consist of both file types. My favorite technical feature however has to be the video motion tracking capacity. With my not-high-end computer, I honestly didn't expect the final outputs to be so near perfect.

Cons

The rendering speeds can be a little slow sometimes. I also wish they had more themes for the user interface. All in all however, PD's offerings are above top notch.

Hope

Awesome Software

Reviewed on 04/01/2021

Powerdirector is an awesome software because i use it with little vedio edits,things that require less time for example traditional weddings etc and I have loved to work with it because of its ease

Pros

It is not complicated compared to other vedio editors I have interacted with
I love powerdirector because of how easy it is to learn
Its interface is good to interact with, even by beginners
Its compatibility with many computers makes it easier to edit vedios
It is fast compared to other vedio editors

Cons

Its features are limited,it has limited effects,limited things to do with adding some things you may want to,for example its recently when they have come up with the masking of vedios
Its features are not for professional use,for example if you want to synchronize audios with vedios
Powerdirector is not reliable,some times,it has lost my projects which I had saved,so i had to start over.

Allison

Good for video editing

Reviewed on 30/04/2020

Overall, it's a good editor for the price and works well for our video needs.

Pros

I like the way this product meets our needs of DVD and video production. It is easy to import and edit videos and sound clips. The multiple tracks is great and the video preview built in is nice. I like the ability to download and add features and content from other creators and the output options are nice. The variety of title screens, presets is nice. Works well on a PC.

Cons

My least favorite aspect of Power Director is the time that it takes to burn a DVD / create Folder. I can edit a project fairly quickly now but I have to factor in an hour or more for burning and finalizing even if I didn't make any major changes and only burned the video.

Tumisang
  • Industry: Online Media

video editting made easier

Reviewed on 23/04/2021

i always finish my video projects on time, generally i am not afraid to give out a time frame to anyone who might need my video editting assistance because i know i will make it in time for as long as i use PowerDirector.

Pros

This software is user friendly, easy to use and everything is simplified. Everytime i open it does not crash like the previous softwares i used before, even if the power was to go off i am sure that i will find the auto saved progress of my work. video editting made easier.

Cons

despite its smooth operation, sometimes it gets very slow in some computers.