LiquidText

Multi-touch document manipulation system

4.5/5

Eduardo
  • Industry: Program Development

Liquid text for liquid thoughts

Reviewed on 12/08/2022

I started using this when studying for my masters in arts. This meant many pdf docs with various visual and textual formats. I searched for something like Liquid text for years before liquid text came out.

Pros

No other app thinks about a fluid way of taking notes that becomes more valuable as you go through a document because of the eagle eye view it gives you of what you pick out as important data. Then on top of this your able to link these notes in incredible ways. Tho themselves and even other documents.

Cons

It is sometimes confusing to know what options to use because there are so many. I’d also love a view with no notes option.

Francisco
  • Industry: Research

A critical tool for research work

Reviewed on 19/08/2022

Fantastic and it is a very nice invention

Pros

The way you can select and extract opinions and ideas, connect them to give coherence to your argument, and the easiest way to see all of them almost at the same time pinching the text. I very useful tool is also to have the chance to select text even in pdf files that are "protected"

Cons

I have not found any back draw in liquid text software. Maybe sometimes it is difficult to synchronize my space but could be an internal problem.

Fitrian

typing and price

Reviewed on 08/10/2022

Love it.
I am using it for research. Reading a lot of pdf pages in Arabic, Indonesia and English. For Arabic, most of pages are scanned.

Pros

Everything
The price is worth it, except the subscribe :)

Cons

For me (Indonesian and not rich [yet :D]) the price is expensive, especially for subscribing.
Arabic language is not fully supported yet (Right to Left, etc)
Allow add page as same size on existing page on pdf

Robert
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Flurry of excitement to be followed by annoyance then frustration.

Frustration and disappointment.

Pros

Gesture based linking, search for words, and compressed view of annotations.

Cons

File management UI within app and to other apps is terrible.

Yumi
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Best for reviewing

Reviewed on 11/08/2022

Thank you for creating LiquidText! Ever since I started using LiquidText my studying & working jouney is more innovative. I love that you guys are putting a lot of effort in improving this app and that makes me want to continue using this app even more. Keep up!

Pros

What I like about LiqidText is that it's very easy to write, organize, and review notes acorss the document. It's almost like studying with an actualy notebook & pen but much better because it's paper-less! Especially for intense studying or reviewing it is so helful. I am a professional who's always reviewing for different licensure exams and I need to take a lot of notes in a single document. Being able to take as much notes as possible without minding how much blank space I have in a page is a great feeling and it makes my reviewing more efficient & productive.

Cons

I'm not very fond of the user interface. As a person who uses a lot of different apps (especially note-taking apps & PDF apps) in iOS, the user interface of LiquidText feels a bit out-dated. I would want it to be more modern and sophisticated so it's more motivating. Also the price is bit expensive to recommend to anyone. I have a lot of friends who are still students and they tend to purcahse cheaper apps even though LiquidText is great.

Mathis

Nice but…

Reviewed on 16/08/2022

Excellent- almost perfect pdf reader system

Pros

The super easy navigation in loooong documents, ease of extracting information and as ability to annotate and link at the same time

Cons

The add on subscription based separate better bits that seem to inhibit the improvement of the software fat ‘normal’ users

The zoom function for the desktop version (Mac) is abysmal and nowhere near that available to the iPad user.

love love love it

Reviewed on 12/08/2022

It has solved my need to print a hard copy of new laws or cases so that I can highlight the relevant items and annotate the material.

Pros

Since I move around a lot for meetings, and am rarely at the office, I rely on soft copies of documents for my research. I used to put them in Evernote, since each document would be a page. However, it gets tedious sorting through the documents one by one. Here the documents are lined up. Also I get to preserve my highlights on the soft copy. Ever since the pandemic, my underbar employee has been working from home. Sometimes, even I work from home. I just have them email me the soft copies of the documents needed. I don't need to print.

Cons

The more functions it has, the harder it is to remember what to press or how to reset it so that I can access certain things.

Feature-packed productivity tool for professionals

Reviewed on 24/08/2022

It helped me manage huge amount of information and documents, makes meaningful connections with them, which in turn help me generate additional insights. The app helped me digest information actively (i.e. making notes, create tags, add connections, write notes, highlight, create drawings and diagrams) without being so distracted on how to do it. It is very easy to use, the interface is very intuitive and the features are useful in my use case as a data professional.

Pros

This app helped me collect, manage and generate insights to large information and documents that i read as part of my work. It helped me quickly search important notes and capture ideas on the fly, structure them in a meaningful way, and be able to retain them for future use. I could say that this is the best productivity software in the market specially for professionals like me that handles huge amount of data in my work.

Cons

The subscription model limits some really useful functionality for users who cannot afford them. I hope that they could make the subscription be more affordable or have a onetime fee for a lifetime access of all future upgrades and new features.

Feroz
  • Industry: Legal Services

Great software for legal professionals.

Extremely satisfied.

Pros

Great for court arguments. Its helps to jump from one to another link in seconds. Better than sifting papers.

Cons

So far no cons at all. It is a great software to use.

The only tool you need for research

Reviewed on 13/08/2022

Great tool for researchers and students. Processing and organising ideas is so easy with liquid text

Pros

How you create your own bites, connect several documents and pieces is just amazing. Nite taking and marking with apple pen is also as smooth as it can get. Great tool.

Cons

UI could be implemented a little better with a more modern feel. But I might be using an older version of the tool as well

Harriet
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

LiquidText is Pretty Dang Good!

Reviewed on 16/08/2022

'Business problems'?? I'm not in business. And I don't think LiquidText is for business. Like Zotero, it's a tool for academics who want to read pdfs, take notes, and organize annotated pdfs. And also comment on student papers. For academics, whose main business is doing this, it's the best tool available. IMHO instead of trying to capture the admittedly lucrative business market with this stuff about 'integration' and 'teams' you should just focus on the academic market. There are other pdf readers and handwriting apps around but nothing nearly so good as LiquidText for our purposes. I would focus and market aggressively to academics because that is LiquidText's strong suit.

Pros

I can underline and highlight pdfs and take notes on the side! File management is also pretty good--I can organize all those pdfs. I'm an academic--that's all I really want: to be able to read journal articles, highlight, and annotate, as I used to with xeroxes. And to have them all on my iPad so that I don't have to deal with huge stacks of paper. I don't 'integrate with business processes' because I don't have business processes, whatever they may be. I just need to pick up pdfs, read, highlight, and take notes and for this LiquidText is uniquely good--a treasure for academics! Never xerox again!

Cons

I wish that for taking notes that in addition to the desktop or whatever where I take notes that scrolls there were a *stationary* desktop where I could put stuff to refer to wherever I was in the scrolling desktop that would stay put. E.g. I'm doing Greek, have a pdf of the textbook and do exercises on the scrolling desktop. I'd like to have a place that didn't scroll where I could link vocabulary and grammar appendices from the textbook so that I didn't have to keep scrolling back or moving the links to refer to these things. Also, when I've created pdfs from liquidtext files the notes I've taken come up separately from the body of text to which I link them. If there were some way s.t. the pdfs could display the text linked to comments on the side that would be terrific! I'm also not interested in integration with other applications. I have my organizational scheme set up, it works fine, and I don't think that any integration via LiquidText would be cost-effective for me. Also, sometimes handwritten annotations don't show up well on pdfs. I use liquid text to comment on student papers and sometimes the comments aren't legible. This really needs to be fixed. Also I wish you'd go back to having notes with colored backgrounds rather than just colored bars on the side.

Ian

Game Changing

Reviewed on 14/08/2022

I use Liquidtext for every case. The first thing I do when briefed is set up a project for the matter and import the documents. I only read the brief in Liquidtext so I can supplement it with authorities and other documents. I can note up the brief as I go and copy links to my wordprocessor document to develop into submissions, chronologies, cross examination and the like. I often create a project for reading and analysing the brief and another one to take to court. The court project has the links to a road map or speaking notes set out in a manner and in an order that allows me to take the court through the material.

Pros

The ability to link from a precise point in a document to a word or pages document allows me to navigate through a large volume of complex documents quickly. I am able to use the word or pages document to develop a range of additional documents including submissions, cross examination and advices while retaining the links in the original document.

Cons

There are two things that would vastly improve the app: 1. separate the workspace into tabbed sections so notes are easier to find. The workspace quickly becomes too cluttered to be of much use when dealing with multiple complex issues. Having a separate space for different topics such as one for each witness or issue would be great. 2. Being able to collaborate across multiple users. When working with other barristers, we end up with separate projects with our own links that cannot be shared.

Ulises
  • Industry: Management Consulting

After using LiquidText for various years...

Reviewed on 16/08/2022

Pros

Great app to process documents, extract ideas and construct content maps. LiquidText is superb when it comes to combining original content with notes and organizing information in user-generated maps. I haven't seen anything similar. Kudos to the design team.

Cons

Unfortunately, LiquidText jumped on the monthly subscription bandwagon and extended features are only available if you "subscribe". As I write, HBO Max, Disney, Netflix and other subscription based content providers are seeing users dropping their subscriptions in record rates. Users simply can't keep up with incremental players with pay-per-view business models. They will eventually pick and chose the vital few. I see this coming to software as well. The tide of SaaS apps will become unmanageable and we will migrate to the vital few. From the company's perspective recurring income is seductive, until you realize that it has it's limits.

If LiquidText has any intent of growing into a serious long-term player in the software field, I would highly recommend they reassess their business model. I would gladly pay more for additional features if I'm offered an option that doesn't tie me to a subscription for life. The App AGENDA has an interesting business model where you make a purchase and any upgrades developed during the next year are available for download. And if you don't decide to buy the upgrade subscription for the following year, you have a fully functional app without the shackles of a pay-per-month model.

Raymond
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Liquid Text for Academic Research

Reviewed on 16/08/2022

Pros

It's my go-to place now for collecting pdfs and extractions from books and the web for cross-correlating thematic topics into the workspace area. The cross linking is brilliant.

Synchronization is reliable. That's originally why I left GoodNotes.

Cons

--> LINKS IN PDF'S!!!! This drives me crazy. Please fix it.
o I need another layer of folders. Getting around is too linear especially given that I have multiple "lives" inside which do not overlap, but among which I work and navigate.
o Tagging is weird and should be easier to manage.
o I often find things on my phone and need a way to get links, pdfs, into liquid text.
o I'd like more capability in writing in the workspace...akin to Goodnotes or Notability.
o I'd like to have the ability to open JUST a workspace and use it like Goodnotes or Notability.
o Importing is a little weird. Too often when I want to bring a document into LT, it ends up on the highest level area and I'm not given the ability to file it away where I want it.

Shireen
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

A social science researcher's note-taking dream

Reviewed on 13/08/2022

Pros

Liquid Text saved my life while starting a Phd because it allowed me to take notes as I think - in webs. It allows intricate note taking while reading PDFs - which are easily exportable to most formats. My favourite function is the ability to stick different extracts together by merely bringing one close to the other. It exports in the same way - thus helping me to organise my notes categorised in different themes. This saves a lot of time later when I can just skim past the notes based on the larger themes its organised by.

Cons

I wish the workspace had more writing options. Also, the citation option while exporting is useless because it mentions the page number of the document as 1, 2, 3 depending on the number it is at in the document. However, academic documents hardly begin from page 1,2,3 - Liquid Text should add an option for the user to enter the starting page number.

Maurice
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Love this Organic PDF Document reviewer and organizational tool

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

Pros

The organic manner I can review pdf. Documents. I go through 5-6 large PDF documents per day and this is the closest to “pen and paper” in terms of organic commenting

Cons

Wish there was an easy way to transfer across iOS/MacOS/Windows

Bongani
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Fluidity in LiquidText

Reviewed on 23/08/2022

I have tried other programs but Liquidtext is the best and meet the majority of my requirements.

Pros

It allows for collating of various documents and link critical data/information into your workbook to create a smooth flow of research/report/project content.
Multi document searching function is one of the important features which makes it easier to track what you looking for and find specific content with ease.
Ability to consolidate meeting notes and allow one to track open items and prepare for the next meeting.

Cons

The disappearing ink text when writing with Apple pencil; need to undo writing for the information to reappear.
Inability to change ink color once written through the use of lasso selection.

Trinitee

College Student Here

Reviewed on 12/08/2022

Pros

I am a college student so all of my assignments are due electronically. It only makes sense for my notes to also be electronic and Liquid Text is the main app I use for notetaking. I have an iPad and Apple Pencil, so I download everything to put in a specific class (syllabus, PowerPoint, worksheets) and I am able to write on the documents! It's very simple and easy to use. My favorite feature is that I am able to pinch the document to see text on different pages at the same time (and can connect them together if I want to keep track of their correlation).

Cons

There is not much to do to improve. It could be easier to make folders and add multiple documents together.

Zvi

Greatest PDF app

Reviewed on 05/08/2022

I love it.

Pros

The synchronizing. The management. and the ease of use.

Cons

OCR needs to have more languages. Adobe has Hebrew.

PDFelement

Reasons for Choosing LiquidText

Ease of USE, prine.

Reasons for Switching to LiquidText

I cannot explain. I just love it.
Sherryl

Effective mind-mapping and thematic analysis tool for research

Reviewed on 11/08/2022

Have only been using LT for <3 months but this has been a game-changer for my post-graduate studies. I find that information overload contributes hugely to PG stress. LT synthesises vast amounts of fragmented information into a coherent whole, making research just a tad more enjoyable if not less painful.

Pros

(1) ability to tag highlights in order to code themes into disparate pieces of information
(2) search functionality within a project
(3) mind-mapping capability with link to source information in one place
(4) integration with cloud directories and reference manager (Zotero)
(5) pen compatibility and usability
(6) ease of use
(7) great productivity and information management software that allows greater knowledge retention and comprehension

Cons

(1) Zotero integration needs improvement. The highlights made in LT does not translate well back into Zotero so an annotation summary cannot be generated from these highlights.
(2) inability to lock items into place within the workspace
(3) the workspace keeps resizing into the smallest scale even when there's not many objects in the workspace
(4) when resizing the workspace, it's easy to drag objects out of place because they cannot be locked into place

Burak
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Best app for the literature review.

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

I am really enjoying with LiquidText.

Pros

To organize academic journal papers, reading and taking notes afterwards was a headache for me. Although there are a few famous tools for these purposes, their note taking capabilities were not sufficient for me. LiquidText literally solved every problem I had regarding this. Creating notes while reading a paper and linking them with the relevant paragraph/figures is the killer future of this app.

Cons

Syncing is sometimes slow. I cannot say it is bad but I definitely feel some lag and I am sure this is not related to connection. Also, I didn't like the monthly based subscription model. It's not directly related to the LiquidText. Although, I understand they are trying to create a reliable income, as a user, I hate the idea of paying monthly fees for every app on my devices.

Damaris
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Easy and perfect!

Reviewed on 17/08/2022

I love that I can use different colors with the pen, I can write using the keyboard, make additions to my documents using my iPad, and see my edits on the computer.

Pros

I find it great to edit a document on my iPad and see my edits on the computer, so I can continue working on the computer and then return to the iPad again; it's perfect! I love that I can use different colors with the pen and write using the keyboard!

Cons

I think it's perfect as is; however, I would like to open two pdfs at the same time and be able to edit and write on them at the same time.

Sergio

Perfect Companion in your Researches

Reviewed on 15/08/2022

Perfect! I read a lot of manuals or technical guides and this helping me a lot. I use it as my first tool to study/research/guide to my day by day work.

Pros

Easy integration of documents, easy note taking, highlighting and easy to consolidate information from different sources to have a better understanding or vision as a whole on a specific Topic.

Cons

Sometimes is hard to find notes within various PDFs. Or sometimes it gets stuck when using "heavy" PDFs.

Joseph

Document Review and Management Magic

Reviewed on 19/08/2022

Really, it's a dream come true. I didn't know I needed it until I found it. Now I can't work without it.

Pros

I love that I can organize, reference, and review hundreds of documents at once. I can organize ideas and memoranda, matching the law to the facts, and with links that immediately take me to the source document. It's magic! I love the ability to access my work across multiple devices!

Cons

I have been worried a couple times that I had lost work. I didn't lose any work, but I thought I had before learning how to re-sync and recreate the table.

Mukund

Liquid Text and Fluid Note Taking

Reviewed on 07/08/2022

Wonderful. I just love to use it.

Pros

The ease with which it allows me to engage with the text: it helps me pinpoint the important, the useful, and underline the impressive lines distinctly.

Cons

Sometimes it freezes in my ipad and at times even after using the erasure i am unable to erase the line I had drawn. It remains there to disturb my reading.