ActiveCampaign Reviews

4.4/5

Antonio
Antonio
  • Industry: Human Resources

My first marketing automation platform, its about to pay for itself

Reviewed on 06/07/2020

As a startup founder, It is really difficult to choose the right platform to commit with. You have free options and very expensive ones. So Active campaign was a great option for me, right on the sweet spot.

Their customer success team is the best. I have had three on boarding one-on-one calls where they have understood my business and helped me with all the setup, resources and best practices to start using it the best way possible.

It is a very robust system, I only use the email automation, segmentation and I am starting to use their CRM, but the posibilites are endless. So far I love it

Pros

It is super easy to setup and use
The best customer support I have ever had on any kind of service/product
A thorough on boarding process, with personal coaching
You can automate every single part of your marketing funnel and still have a nice personal touch with your best leads
Endless possibilities to interact with your customers and prospects and track every behavior with you

Cons

It is so wide that I find myself a little overwhelmend on how to take as much as possible from the system without burning out.

I am in the 2,500 contacts bracket, and I think its price is fair. But when I have to sacle it up, it will seem pricy

ConvertKit and HubSpot Marketing Hub

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

I made research and wanted a more robust solution. I compared Active campaign against hubspot and convertkit and I preferred Active Campaign

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Better price (against Hubspot) So many more functions (Against convertkit and others)
Michael
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

My AC Review

Reviewed on 19/05/2024

Pros

the interconnection between campaigns, contacts and the classification in tags and lists

Cons

german translation ;) maybe it would be nice, if there would be more tutorials for specific themes, video tutorials

Jason

Automation Broken & Engineers Won't Fix

Reviewed on 08/06/2022

Kind & courteous customer service & onboarding. The chat support is decent & you can get questions answered; however, their achilles heel is that their engineering team is apparently asleep behind the wheel and not only don't fix bugs, but provide zero communication about fixing them.

Pros

Pricing is excellent, features are great, and the company is very innovative. Overall, I really want the relationship to work.

Cons

The automation rules are broken. I have one field update automation that's broken. It's a simple field update automation that says if field a) value = x, then update field b) to be y; however, it's broken and I sent ticket to them ~4 weeks ago. More importantly, I spend all of this time doing the implementation. ,and now their automated emails will not trigger. I submitted tickets to engineering ~4 weeks ago, and I haven't heard a PEEP from the engineers. They are kind enough to give me June service free; however, that's not what i actually want. I want the software to work so that all of the 100+ hours of time I've invested in building landing pages, automations, data imports, etc, can actually be realized.

Kindsey
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Best email marketing platform out there!

Reviewed on 29/01/2024

Pros

The ease of use and simplicity of the platform. I've tried many email platforms and this is my favorite one for email marketing.

Cons

Nothing - no complaints whatsoever. Active Campaign is the best email marketing platform I've evalutated.

Keap and Mailchimp

GlassHive

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

I used it years ago and wish I had never switched. One of the easiest platforms to use.
Katrin
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Really good Tool for email Marketing

Reviewed on 10/05/2024

Wide range of functions
Flexibility

Cons

Perhaps a little too expensive
Not all functions are easy to find

Beth

Excellent CRM and Marketing Automation Tool

Reviewed on 04/04/2024

Overall, ActiveCampaign has everything we need to manage and engage leads!

Overall, ActiveCampaign has everything we need to manage and engage leads!

Pros

The team is responsive and I very much enjoy the free consulting hours we got from them. They have many resources to help us get the most from the tool.

Cons

I don't have 100% confidence is in the accuracy of the email campaign performance metrics. Click bots mess with our click through rates for example. I wish the custom reporting interface was easier to use as well.

Guido

Excellent!

Reviewed on 12/04/2024

Pros

Automation, UX experience, connetcivity

Cons

Price, Limit number of contacts, multiaccount logic

• Industry: Online Media

The perfect email marketing tool

Reviewed on 29/03/2024

Pros

The funnel automation is really well done and complete of features

Cons

creating new funnels can be difficult on new accounts

Muhammed
Muhammed
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Aktif Kampanya

Reviewed on 04/04/2024

Pros

I can easily manage my e-mail campaigns, receive sales e-mails and build my customer base.

Cons

In fact, there are not many features that I do not like, but improvements can be made in terms of customer support.

Riccardo
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

A great tool with many options

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Pros

Complete tool for innovative email marketing

Cons

Onboarding could be more intuitive but still good anyway

Geir

This blew my mind

Reviewed on 21/05/2020

Fantastic!! And extraordinary follow up by their team! Tons of free personal 1:1 help, which I never expected.

Pros

Switched to ActiveCampaign from Pipedrive via ConvertKit and Keap - this is something else. I am so impressed. Very easy to use and well laid out, it is easy to create some of the most robust automated customer follow ups I have seen. AC blows the other softwares out of the water. It works, it is easy to understand and it is the most powerful peace of software I have seen in years. I am so pleased my grin goes all the way around my head.

Cons

Customer service gave 8-10 min waiting time on their chat support these days, and that is just not good enough.

Keap

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

Pipedrive is a very good service, but they change things all the time and breaks our aotomations. This created a ton of trouble for us, and when addressing the issue with them, they did not care. So after three years with this we left.

Pipedrive

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Tried Keap, but their software are very cumbersome to use compared with ActiveCampaign. Used two weeks with help from a keap consultant and was still not near to be up and running. Used two days in AC on my own, as comparison. Further on Keap does not support country soesific characters in customers names, so I could not import my list, a ton of stuff does not work outside US, so it turned out there was not much left we could actually use. The rock at marketing, but the software - not for us!!
Mikael
  • Industry: Sports

Highly recommended email service provider (and so much more)

Reviewed on 26/06/2020

Outstanding. In addition to how great the software is, the few times I've been in contact with customer support, that experience has also been very, very good. And the pricing is very reasonable for what the product gives you.

Pros

I am only using the Email Service Provider side of the software, not the CRM, so I will comment from the ESP perspective. What I like the most is the unlimited flexibility and features. In the "old days", marketers needed super expensive and complicated software like Infusionsoft to achieve what ActiveCampaign can do, in terms of automation, rules, segmentation and so on.

This unlimited flexibility means you can make your email marketing as simple or as sophisticated as you like, the choice is yours.

Generally speaking, the features of the software are outstanding!

Cons

In some ways the user interface can be a bit clumsy, e.g. when creating an email campaign. It's not bad, but there's room for improvement.

ConvertKit, GetResponse, Keap, Mailchimp and AWeber

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

I needed more functionalities and flexibility in automation and segmentation.

AWeber

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

The best combination of features and functionality and price, by a large margin.
Morgan
Morgan

It was wonderful until we needed support

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

Initially we were thrilled with AC due to it’s ease of use and speed. However, recently we ran into a major issue that suddenly started showing up, and is preventing us from moving forward on a vital project. We used the chat, and initially the guy on the chat told us it was the fault of another vendor we had integrated with. After going back and forth, he agreed to look into it, and asked for a bit more information. I went to collect that, and when I came back, the chat had ended. Furthermore, when I tried starting a new chat, it said “chat is offline, you will have to send an email.” I noticed that the chat was disconnected and chat went offline at exactly 12 pm Pacific time, corresponding with lunchtime. This is crazy! Who goes offline in the middle of a chat with customers who pay over $200/month for software just so they can take their lunch break exactly on time?
Now I’m really wondering, can I trust AC when it counts? Because this kind of software is expensive enough and complex enough that it absolutely requires good support. So far, I’m not impressed. (Previous less critical support inquiries were eventually answered, but not particularly quickly).

Pros

AC is very easy to use and to set up. It’s more intuitive than most similar products we’ve tried. When it works right, it’s great.

Cons

Software like this is complex, and things inevitably break or have bugs. We have used most of the major platforms out there, and they all have periods of bugs and issues. Once you run into it, the only question is this: will support be there to help? Not AC support, not if it’s lunchtime.

Ontraport and Keap

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

Ease of use and more CRM features in ActiveCampaign.

Kartra

Millie
Millie

A good all-rounder

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Active Campaign is our one stop hub for our sales and marketing activity so we have an almost global view of how our customers and and prospects are interacting with us - the exception is our help desk but I'm sure we could integrate that too if we really wanted to.

We use Active Campaign to track our:
- Sales team interactions - emails, including emails we send from our own inboxes, tasks and follow up tasks, and call records - as long as we enter them!
- We use it to send and tracks all the newsletter/marketing interactions and all our automated emails for customers on free trials.
- We also track key interactions with our own product (though an integration we built ourselves) so the sales team have a quick reference to important behaviours.

Pros

Moved to Active Campaign from Infusionsoft (2 years ago now, before they changed their name) and we were very satisfied at that particular time that Active Campaign was the superior product.

Good marketing and automation tools - which have also had a lot of investment and attention in the two years we've been using Active Campaign - as well as a solid CRM and lead/opportunity management dashboard.

We have the Enterprise Grade subscription which gives us access to a dedicated account manager. This was really useful in the first year and we had an excellent account manager at that time.

Cons

Active Campaign have really focused in recent years on the live / real time behaviour tools and giving users the ability to build extremely complex automations. For us though, we would prefer a bit more focus on improving the CRM and things that make contact and lead management easier - such as the ability to add follow up tasks from the (otherwise excellent) Gmail widget.

Pedro
Pedro

A convenient All-in-One CRM and Automation

Reviewed on 08/05/2021

In my company, Active Campaign is used on a daily basis. We are a franchising network, needing one full-service CRM and Marketing Automation to be shared within the network (similar automations for the whole network), while leaving space and autonomy for each franchisee to develop its own (Sales management, marketing management). Active Campaign allows not only this structure to work seamlessly, but the way the service is organized allows a whole range of possibilities for my company, most of which we haven't yet scratched the surface.

Pros

It's easy to use, easy to deploy and being all-in-1 solution for marketing and sales management, automation, it's very convenient and comparatively affordable.

Cons

A few areas are still under development and not quite up to the task, namely features such as landing page development, or conditional forms.

Rebecca
  • Industry: Human Resources

The best email marketing software available

Reviewed on 09/07/2021

Overall, I have been extremely happy with ActiveCampaign and don't see myself ever switching to another provider.

Pros

ActiveCampaign is crazy powerful and has so many features that make it a fabulous selection for email marketing software. I've used a few different email marketing programs and definitely think ActiveCampaign is the best - the tagging features are way superior to a lot of the entry level offerings and the automations are fantastic. On top of this, the service is brilliant and I feel confident in the team's ability to help me with any issues I'm experiencing.

Cons

Because it is so powerful, it can be a little confusing to new users who aren't tech-savvy. There is plenty of education though, so I do believe it is worth pursuing.

ConvertKit, Drip and Mad Mimi

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

Mailchimp's automation and tagging options weren't sophisticated enough for my needs.

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

The pricing was far better for what was available and I had real life recommendations from other users.
John

Easy Organization Of My List & My Favorite CRM

Reviewed on 15/10/2021

My overall experience has been very good. When I was first getting to know the system I used their chat support to figure things out and they sent me step by steps screen shots and customized video walkthroughs. That's what really won me over, knowing I can do just about anything I needed and instead of trying to take half a day to figure out how to do it on my own, they simply walk me through it now.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use the different mechanisms of ActiveCampaign. The tagging system is easy to use and really helps to organize my list. It also makes it so I don't have to create multiple lists and duplicate emails. I also have to say, their customer support has been awesome. Their chat support people will send me step by step screen shots on what to do and even record video for me to watch them set things up and explain how to do something. I mean seriously, their support is 5 star.

They also have a really good API system. I am able to connect different pieces of software to ActiveCampaign so my contacts or organized as they come in.

Cons

I don't really have anything to add here. It's easy to use and the support is fantastic.

Nick
  • Industry: Online Media

Affordable Marketing Automation

Reviewed on 08/08/2022

As an online business owner, my email list is really the lifeblood of my business and one of my biggest monthly expenses. ActiveCampaign has been a great investment and a service I'm happy to recommend.

Pros

I've been an ActiveCampaign customer since 2017 and have recommended it to dozens of friends over that time. It's super powerful marketing automation and email marketing software, for a great price. (I believe I'm on their lowest pricing tier.)

I like that I can easily integrate forms with other email collection tools to drive sign-ups (LeadPages, Group Leads, etc.) and create personalized welcome sequences and automations for different segments of my audience. Deliverability and open rates are strong.

Cons

I have 3 main gripes.

First, the reporting is weak. It would be cool to slice the new subscriber data by form to see what forms were driving the most sign-ups for a given time period. The only available option is the lifetime of that form. Since I have 100s of forms at this point, it's sometimes hard to tell where a spike in new subscribers is coming from.

Second, the customer support is frustrating. There's very little proactive effort made to troubleshoot any issue and they make you jump through a bunch of hoops.

Third, I wish they'd bring back area code geo-targeting. A few years ago, ActiveCampaign would assign subscribers an area code based on their IP address. This was super helpful for hosting local meetups whenever I'd travel. Now it seems they only assign a city, which is better than nothing, but not ideal.

ConvertKit, Drip and GetResponse

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

I was looking for more flexibility in segmenting my audience. And it was a bonus that ActiveCampaign was more affordable as well.

AWeber

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Of all the email marketing services I shopped, ActiveCampaign had the best combination of the feature set I was looking for, ease of use, and price.
Nick
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Amazing

Reviewed on 07/07/2020

I have used AC with an ecommerce store selling $3-4m per year, as well as several consulting firms and info product companies. It works amazing for all these use cases.

Pros

It's very rare to find so much functionality while retaining ease of use. I've been a consultant implementing and managing marketing automation and CRMs for 10 years, and AC has become my go to solution for all my clients. The CRM has come a long way in the past few years and now beats just about all of them that do both CRM and Automation. The integration with Ecom platforms like Shopify are also a huge benefit.

Cons

For years I would tell clients if they needed a CRM and they were doing personal sales that they should use Infusionsoft, but I can't say that anymore. Infusionsoft's CRM has become worse over time while AC's CRM has become much more powerful. One thing I wish AC would add is more functionality in the math actions for changing fields. If we could use different fields and formulas in the math to make calculations for custom fields, rather than just simple +-X/ then that would be amazing. I currently have to use Zapier to do that and it's not even that great with Zapier.

Zakaria
Zakaria
  • Industry: Automotive

Affordable option to get into marketing automation

Reviewed on 23/03/2021

Overall, they have a leg up over other email marketing apps with their class-leading automation system.
Newbies will probably complain about the template composing feature. It's nowhere near as easy as Mailchimp or Aweber.

But I have a designer compose my newsletters in Stripo, which is inexpensive. And they have a one-click export into Activecampaign. This works for me.

I average 28% open rates on newsletter blasts. I'm happy with that kinda performance.

Pros

Activecampaign is more than just an email marketing app... done right it can free you from manually keeping track of leads and contacts interacting with your business.

We use it to nurture all new leads coming in through our website. I recently implemented lead scoring of my contacts, which will hopefully allow me to filter those leads ready for sales.

Another great feature is the site tracking. I've set an alert to notify me when a contact is on our site. I've yet to take advantage of this, but my plan is to automate an email to the relevant sales consultant, telling them their lead is on a high-intent page, so we can reach out at just the right time.

There is more under the hood, I know. For larger setups one could use it as a full CRM, bringing your sales team on board with incredible amount of data about your contacts.

Cons

It can be overwhelming. They have pre-built recipes for most functions, which is a great start. But still, you'll have to play with the automations and see which work for you.

Otherwise, it's like driving a Ferrari and not going faster than 120 kmh.

Waleed
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

An important tool for preparing effective online marketing campaigns and following up on...

Reviewed on 09/03/2022

The current phase and future developments necessitate the presence of an experienced platform that can assist you in competing in extremely turbulent marketplaces, and ActiveCampaign is the appropriate option. It enables the assignment of potential connections and clients, making it easier to communicate with clients via email depending on their interests. Additionally, the graphs and statistics you obtain will assist you in developing plans based on correct advice.

Pros

I enjoy the way ActiveCampaign displays information because it assists you in optimizing your services. The platform eliminates the requirement for users of varying skill levels to use multiple programs by centralizing all records in a single location that can be accessed from anywhere at any time. ActiveCampaign's advanced marketing tools enable you to create and save lists of potential customers for any product or service you offer, then email them offers. You can also customize ActiveCampaign to track the success of your marketing campaigns, which enables you to develop more distinctive campaigns and sustainable marketing strategies. ActiveCampaign's charts, suggestions, and reports will ensure that you always make the best choices. I appreciate how you can improve content viewing and automatically track engagement across many social media platforms, allowing you to have a better understanding of how your consumers and new customers react to it.

Cons

I had no technical issues when using ActiveCampaign, and the user interface is fantastic and simplifies the process of accessing various tools and reports, but the work team need easy exercises to effectively use the platform and get the intended results.

Biswajit

Review of ActiveCampaign

Reviewed on 08/03/2023

Overall, ActiveCampaign offers a wide range of features and benefits that can help businesses streamline their marketing and sales processes and improve their customer engagement and retention.Overall, while ActiveCampaign offers many benefits and is a powerful tool for businesses looking to improve their email marketing and automation efforts, it may not be the best fit for every business depending on their specific needs and budget.

Pros

ActiveCampaign is a powerful and comprehensive email marketing and automation software that offers a wide range of features and benefits for businesses of all sizes. Here are some of the key pros of using ActiveCampaign software:Email marketing: ActiveCampaign allows businesses to create and send targeted email campaigns, newsletters, and automated emails to their subscribers.Marketing automation: With ActiveCampaign, businesses can create complex marketing automation workflows that automatically trigger personalized messages and actions based on subscriber behavior and preferences.CRM integration: ActiveCampaign integrates with popular CRMs such as Salesforce and HubSpot, allowing businesses to manage their contacts and leads in one place.Segmentation and personalization: ActiveCampaign allows businesses to segment their subscribers based on various criteria such as behavior, location, and interests, and then send personalized messages to each segment.Lead scoring and management: ActiveCampaign provides lead scoring and management tools that help businesses identify and prioritize their most valuable leads.E-commerce integration: ActiveCampaign integrates with popular e-commerce platforms such as Shopify and WooCommerce, allowing businesses to track and analyze their sales data and customer behavior.Reporting and analytics: ActiveCampaign provides in-depth reporting and analytics tools that help businesses track the performance of their campaigns and workflows

Cons

Sure, here are some cons of ActiveCampaign software:Learning curve: While ActiveCampaign's user interface is generally user-friendly, some of its more advanced features may take some time and effort to master.Price: ActiveCampaign can be more expensive than some of its competitors, particularly for businesses with large email lists.Limited email templates: While ActiveCampaign offers a variety of email templates, the selection is not as extensive as some other email marketing software.Limited landing page options: ActiveCampaign's landing page builder is somewhat limited compared to some of its competitors, which may be a drawback for businesses that rely heavily on landing pages for lead generation.Limited social media integration: ActiveCampaign's social media integration is limited to Facebook Lead Ads, which may be a drawback for businesses that rely heavily on other social media platforms for lead generation.Limited support options: While ActiveCampaign offers email and live chat support, phone support is only available to customers on higher-priced plans.API limitations: ActiveCampaign's API has some limitations, particularly around the number of calls that can be made per day, which may be a drawback for businesses with complex automation needs.

Casey

Good experience

Reviewed on 23/06/2023

Ultimately it's a good product and analytics don't lie, it helped. Expect to spend time training or pay for a walk through.

Pros

Active Campaign is good. Full of features but no bugs, no limit on campaigns. Avoid losing opens and clicks to the spam folder and see a map of subscribers who are opening. The prices on their plans are fair and competitive. The design experience is good.Conditional Elements will dissappear if the recipient is using a mobile device and others will appear based on criteria such as subscriber history. Marketing automation is a hot feature with RSS, A/B, and dated options.

Cons

I wouldn't call it intuitive or user friendly. The full on walk through is only available to plus customers for free, everyone else has to pay.

Hilda N
Hilda N
  • Industry: Printing

My Experience Of Active Campaign Goodness

Reviewed on 23/10/2023

Apart from being an employee, I do creative graphic design as an independent designer and that's where Active Campaigns comes in.You know under the companies name it can be easy to reach out to people but as an individual designer its Abit tricky but Active Campaign has made it effortless. I use it to generate leads where I connect it with bots on FB and poster my wall to get emails then proceed with sales through a neatly organized email marketting

Pros

ActiveCampaign is super easy to use and setup. It's technical team is usually available 24/7 because everytime I have sent an enquiry email or called they always respond and guide me accordingly to be able to navigate the wideness of this platform. The versatility of Active Campaign is exceptional to fit any type of business even startups. It helps propel the business through automation of marketing channels which will then enable me to reach out to my target audience through emails and other interactions. Marketing efforts are simplified by personalizing to drive substantial leads,engage with my customers as well as centralize data from all these channels to help me sharpen on marketing. Follow up on prospects is also quite easy with Active campaign which makes it an indispensable tool that is precious for marketing of my designs

Cons

In the initial stages I had trouble understanding some of it's features and tags but the information available online and the tech team have helped me understand everything over the years of use

Strong Automation System & Ecomm DataLayer, Weak Support and Long Standing Bugs

Reviewed on 04/09/2017

Pros

Activecampaign sets the bar for building automations, with great sorting and filtering features including customer records, tags, lists, conditional rules/routing, e-commerce data such as purchases, crm pipelines and even a custom event layer. We have created very complex integrations for dozens of businesses ranging from E-Commerce stores, to Gyms to local businesses.

It's really simple to learn and use, and powerful enough to tackle even the most complex business processes. This includes in-store purchases on a POS to sending out emails or automation's based on purchases or LTV. It also supports multiple E-Commerce platforms natively, but be aware those features are nearly 4x the price to unlock after the trial.

Cons

After months of issues that resulted in one of our clients losing an excess of $40,000 in revenue, we can no longer recommend activecampaign. Poor support was to blame for this issue, with it being impossible to get someone on a call even though we pay 6 figures a year for service.

Activecampaign is growing really really fast. Because of this, They have pretty terrible support and there are also long-standing bugs that they seem to have no intention to fix. For instance, the system is supposed to generate previews for each automation's email steps and in various other places, but instance shows a broken image. We have inquired about this to the support to be told they are aware it's been broken for over a year and have no ETA or intention on repairing it. We have this problem on all our client's accounts(dozens), and it's a serious issue with UI/UX but they don't seem to care.

There are also some major logic issues, such as if you filter an automation to show anyone with 0 purchases, it doesn't work. We also inquired about this but got another non-response...

So basically, where it works, it works well but there are a few major issues and they don't seem intent on repairing them, even though they are steady releasing more features to add to their pricing tiers. Overall, it's hard to find another system that provides the ease of use, features, and value of activecampaign but the support and existing bugs are a nasty/necessary compromise.