FreshBooks Reviews

Allison
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great Invoicing Tool for Time Tracking

Reviewed on 12/11/2022

Freshbooks does manage the following VERY well: Time tracking against projects and clients; invoice creation based on tracked time; and one-off invoices or flat rate pricing. I also like the clean and easy to navigate interface.Generating and reading historical reports is quick and easy to determine things like, how quickly specific clients are paying (and who is historically slower at paying), income by client and income by project/work type.The phone app is functional for my needs, although it's a little clunky and not nearly as full featured as the desktop software. It's not bad, but not great. I have successfully tracked time on the app, then issued an invoice from my phone to my client's email inbox.Overall, Freshbook fulfills my needs as a consultant.

Pros

I really like Freshbooks for it's easy invoicing and time tracking. I was able to integrate it with Teamwork project management software so that more complex jobs that require detailed time tracking against tasks and milestones could be tracked there and then my time could be exported to Freshbooks. Freshbooks also integrated with my Paypal gateway, allowing me to accept major credit cards.

Cons

Freshbooks collaboration with other contractors doesn't work very well. In addition, the per-client pricing has gotten pricey for those of us who have many one-off clients.The retainer payments feature was not easy to use.

Harvest and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

Invoicing flexibility, integration with Teamwork PM software and integration with Paypal.
Kimani
Kimani
  • Industry: Accounting

Like human fingerprints, Freshbooks is Unique

Reviewed on 23/10/2023

Freshbooks have proved to be dependable over the years. It's accuracy and efficiency remain unmatched

Pros

Using Freshbooks has been a game changer for me and my team. It's interface is friendly and easy to navigate saving us on setting up time and helping us keep everything neatly organized. Freshbook is a unique platform whose touch of excellence in accounting and expense management stood out for me in comparison to other tools in the market. I find it's performance and reliability top notch in functions like generation and invoices tracking which is complete. It's decency in tracking expenses is on its own level. I am also able to execute receipt approvals, billable hours and keep financial records which are the major accounting roles making it an ultimate accounting solution

Cons

To be honest I have not encountered a single thing I dislike about Freshbooks. As an accountant who have used lots of accounting softwares I can recommend freshbooks to anyone out there for efficient execution of his/her accounting needs

Susan
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Really like FreshBooks but there's room for improvement

Reviewed on 10/01/2017

Here's the skinny on FreshBooks (the good, the bad, and the ugly):

The Good:
You can't beat...

Here's the skinny on FreshBooks (the good, the bad, and the ugly):

The Good:
You can't beat the visual dashboard for tracking outstanding and past payments for clients. It's a great billing system for small businesses and especially consultants or freelancers. The recurring billing/invoicing system is FAB!

Like many platforms these days, Freshbooks showcases a library of "add-ons" to help enhance your experience. Some of the best ones (in my book, as a tech consultant and marketer) are Hubspot, Shopify, Mailchimp, Bidsketch, BaseCamp, and Podio.

There's a decent time tracking feature, along with the ability to track expenses. You can create/assign staff to project billing. Of course, you can issue "estimates" to prospects for future projects. As you send invoices through the Freshbooks system, it will log "sent" emails for you. And the system is designed to handle manual invoices for snail mail as well.

Each client/business that you bill receives their own "login" to your dashboard to view their invoice(s). This is a nice touch, as clients may often "misplace" that original email with your invoice in it...

It integrates very nicely with Stripe and PayPal (although I hear that may be changing - what? I know) plus Freshbooks has its own payment feature. I never have issues with payments, they always come through the system promptly (for online playing, 24-48 hours, the norm).

The Bad:
I'm not a fan of the reporting feature, while it's functional, it doesn't allow enough flexibility that a diverse consultant such as myself would like (need) to have. There are several reporting functions for each core feature (Accounting, Clients, Invoicing, and Time Tracking). But no option for custom reporting, which I often need as my diverse array of clientele has different process, set-ups, etc. At the very least, I would like to be able to customize the built-in reports on some level. I've not found an add-on that would assist me with this pain point.

The Ugly:
Finally, sadly, the worst thing I have to say about FreshBooks is that the Android app is greatly lacking. As the years (and technology) progress, that could eventually become a deal breaker. All the features in the world won't do a consultant much good if all of those same features can't be accessed via mobile device. We're ALL mobile these days, doncha know.

However, if you split your time between desktop/Mac and mobile, then Freshbooks is well worth a look!

Alan

FreshBooks - Quicker and Easier than the other

Reviewed on 06/02/2024

Migrating from what everyone thinks is the Number 1 Account Solution to Freshbooks was easy. Simple setup and then found out I had a dedicated account rep if I needed help

Pros

Super easy to setup; created customers, and products and set up recurring invoices on auto-pilot

Cons

haven't found anything I don't like so far

Zoho Books

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

Lack of support; issues with using the product, just wasn't easy to use

Liked the interface of FreshBooks better than ZoHo
Linda
Linda

A fantastic tool for accountants, FreshBooks

Reviewed on 24/07/2023

Simple to use and effective, with a wealth of helpful features that can be tweaked to improve the final product. Simple enough for those who aren't tech savvy. It's a great program with two uses: as a payment chip that works with any card, and as a tool for managing your company's finances.

Pros

FreshBooks is an accounting software that manages your daily invoices, receipt approvals, expenses, billable hours, and financial records. To improve the financial management of small businesses, FreshBooks is developing a cloud-based accounting solution. The firm boasts industry-leading customer service.

Cons

They recently implemented a new format that was mandatory for all users. The old version of FreshBooks was far better than the new one. The software's electronic payment option is the worst part. Some banks allow it while others refuse to even process the transaction.

Craig
Craig

Good for time tracking and invoicing; barely functional for accounting

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

The original version of FreshBooks, which we started using in 2014, was great for time tracking and invoicing. Unfortunately, they decided to build a completely new web application to add accounting features. We migrated to the new version about two years ago, and it did not go well. The new version didn't add many useful features, and the time tracking app got worse (see above). We decided to try the accounting feature this year (2019) because Xero started getting more expensive and lost its payroll feature. We have found the FreshBooks accounting features to be barely usable, and we're struggling to find an accountant that will support FreshBooks.

Pros

FreshBooks is good for freelancers or service-based small businesses that need to track time spend on client projects, and report the time on invoices. It's also good for tracking basic expenses, whether they are allocated to the business, or passed on to clients. The reporting features are also useful.

The payroll integration with Gusto is a simple and affordable way to run payroll for a small business.

Cons

The mobile app for time tracking became so buggy that I had to stop using it; it would frequently lose track of the time if I paused the timer. They also added a "feature" that creates a new line item on the invoice every time you pause the timer, which really clutters up the invoice. I now use a separate tracking app and manually enter my time.

The accounting features are barely adequate, and the accounting functionality is more like a public beta than production software. There's a chart of accounts, bank reconciliation, and a general ledger. We use cash-basis accounting, so it works for us, but if you carry inventory, I don't think FreshBooks will support accrual accounting. The bank reconciliation was officially "beta" until very recently.

Admins aren't allowed to edit the chart of accounts, so you need to have an accountant or bookkeeper set it up. Unfortunately, most accountants I've talked to won't work with FreshBooks directly. Strangely, FreshBooks will help you find a bookkeeper who works with FreshBooks, but not an accountant.

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

We switched from Xero to FreshBooks for accounting because the value of Xero keeps going down. Xero used to offer payroll and expenses for about $30/month, but now that Xero no longer offers payroll, you have to pay a separate fee to a payroll provider. You also have to pay a much higher monthly fee to Xero if you want expense reporting.

Xero

Response from FreshBooks

Hey Craig, thank you for taking the time to share this detailed review of FreshBooks.

I'm sorry to hear that you've run into issues with our mobile app and the timer creating multiple timers (though that is by design). If you had specific suggestions or features that you'd like to see for the Accounting features or anything else in FreshBooks, our team would love to hear it! I have flagged your feedback to be heard by our Product Specialists directly, but if there's anything else our Support Team would be happy to capture that feedback. They can be reached at [email protected] or 1-866-303-6061 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm EST. ^DM

Joseph
Joseph

Freshbooks Review

Reviewed on 25/09/2023

I think there are less expensive services but none do what I need as well as Freshbooks.

Pros

High quality service with excellent support. It does everything I need it to do.

Cons

Like I said, it's a high quality service but it's a bit pricey.

Plutio and Freshdesk

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

I needed better search capabilities.

Plutio

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

I needed a polished service that was more intuitive than what I was using before.
Lance
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Top notch basic account and payment processing for the small business

Reviewed on 06/03/2024

Pros

So easy to create recurring invoices and process them automatically against customer credit cards. This product revolutionized how we process recurring services.

Cons

it's relatively basic, it's missing some features of bigger/more expensive apps/services, but is great for the small business

Kabayo
Kabayo
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Free invoicing

Reviewed on 03/09/2023

Invoicing is quick with this product in way that templates of invoices are already provided.

Pros

Freshbooks trials version is free for a month and when the month is completed with out using it, the month is resumed

Cons

Clear and fantastic software for invoicing

Justin
  • Industry: Legal Services

Freshbooks User Reviewer

Reviewed on 03/05/2024

Pros

It was very easy to pay the invoice I received.

Cons

I prefer to receive paper billing. It would be nice to receive the invoices by mail after it has been paid.

Ryan

Barely passed high school math - and I'm now the bookkeeper

Reviewed on 08/10/2020

I love Freshbooks. We used Quickbooks up until I made the decision in January to say I was done stuggling with their program. We had tried the desk top and online versions and they both are so overwhelming with useless features that just get in the way of the simple bookkeeping and accounting needs that our particular business have.

I have been asked by other women in business, if I can help them with accounting as they start their business, and my first suggestion is that they immediately drop QB and move over to Freshbooks.

From our reports to filing quarterlies, reconciling and estimating - every thing about Freshbooks is better.

I have told my husband I would literally become a volunteer spokesperson for Freshbooks due to how much more enjoyable they have made running the backside of our business.

My ONLY regret is not doing this years ago. That's it. This product is life changing!

Pros

Pretty much everything.

The dashboard, estimating, reports, client organization, etc etc. This product is outstanding.

Cons

The type A personality in me would love to be able to close out the books monthly, but I'll take the trade off if it means my books stay balanced - which they always do in Freshbooks.

I also wish the mobile app was more of an interactive user app, vs being more of a quick snapshot of our business.

Fran

So much better than Quickbooks

Reviewed on 07/07/2022

I started with Freshbooks back in 2011, a colleague recommended I switch to Quickbooks, which I did. It only lasted a year before I went back to Freshbooks. Even though it was a pain to switch, it was worth it because when I have a problem with Freshbooks, I just send an email to [email protected] and they answer me the same day, usually. With Quickbooks, it was too hard to get support. It's not a double entry bookkeeping program, so if you need that, it's not for you. But for basic invoicing (including automatic recurring on any timeframe), time tracking, expense tracking, and reporting, it's perfect.

Pros

Easy to use, interface. Excellent customer support.

Cons

There is a chrome extension for tracking time, in addition to within the app. The chrome extension was recently updated and is now not working properly. When you type the project name in it doesn't auto search, you have to scroll them all of them (and I have a lot) to select it now. They will fix it, i'm sure.
Sometimes have trouble with expense syncing, and would like more features to make that faster and easier to categorize.

Harvest

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

Support was lacking, and too difficult to use.

Alicia

Fine if you are the only one in your business

Reviewed on 10/09/2022

It was rated well, so I expected better performance. Reconciling the small transactions I get from health insurance companies is very time consuming and it seems like there should be a better way to add those payments without having to manually enter each one when I have to reconcile.
Invoices default to "accrual" accounting which is a pain if you use cash-based accounting (which I do).
Overall, I have not been able to have accurate business numbers (profit/loss) for months because trying to figure out how to add payroll info has been so challenging.

Pros

I loved that I could upload clients I frequently invoice when I transitioned. Setting up my bank links was very simple and transactions were downloaded easily. You can set up rules for accounts and they will follow those. Invoices look good and are easy to create.

Cons

The software does not support accounting if you have employees and are paying any benefits. Trying to separate out the cost of what my employees contribute to health insurance, retirement, etc. vs what I contribute has been a nightmare. My bookkeeper and I both spent a lot of time with Freshbooks support trying to figure out how to do that. Turns out it is with a journal entry which is time consuming and makes no sense.

Sage Accounting, Zoho Books, QuickBooks Online and Wave

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

I switched to Freshbooks from Xero because Xero would not sync with my bank. This was very easy with Freshbooks. The link consistently works, even though my bank is a smaller one just in my region.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

Reviews on Capterra were good at the time for Freshbooks. It was described as easy to use.

Response from FreshBooks

Hey Alicia, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks.

I have ensured that your feedback about your accounting experience in FreshBooks has been passed along to our Product Team on your behalf.

If there is any other feedback you wish to share, or queries our team can assist with, the contact information for our Support Team can be found here: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact ^DM

Amy
Amy
  • Industry: Consumer Services

FRESH ISNT ALWAYS QUICK ( or efficient)

Reviewed on 13/03/2023

Fresh books was recommended by a friend that utilizes it for her drop shipping business. She recommended it due to pricing, great for a small set up however, if u have one or more employees or accounts payable or receivables then don't bother it was a disappointment

Pros

What I liked most was pricing and ease of initial set up

Cons

What was least favored with this software was the amount of double to triple entry of data and ledgering had to be checked and rechecked due to inaccurate totaling and the taxes aren't even close to kept accurate here.

Response from FreshBooks

Hey Amy, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks.

I have shared your feedback with our Product Team on your behalf. You can check out any changes and updates made in FreshBooks here: https://support.freshbooks.com/hc/en-us/articles/11925619511053-Changes-Updates-in-2023. If there's any other feedback you wish to share or if you need any assistance, please feel free to reach out to our Support Team: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact ^DM

Heather
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Easy no nonsense accounting platform

Reviewed on 08/10/2020

I had been using a widely regarded accounting competitor whose system was way more than I needed. FreshBooks allowed me to consolidate several platforms into one - saving me money and time.

Pros

FreshBooks allows me to create estimates & send proposals, track my time, invoice clients and reconcile my expenses for financial reporting all in one easy to use place. I was using 3 different platforms before to do all of this.

Cons

It would be nice to have slightly more robust accounting functionality but for the most part it does everything I need it to do. I’d like to be able to track time by quantity rather than just duration.

HoneyBook, 17hats and Bonsai.io

Reasons for Choosing FreshBooks

I wanted something easier to use where I could also create estimates & proposals and track my time.

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

FB seemed the least complicated. I didn’t need my accounting product to be my virtual assistant, I needed it to make bookkeeping easy for me so I could run my business.
Russell

Extraordinary item combined to the friendliest help in financial software

Reviewed on 11/05/2019

The most significant thing with this product is efficient. I adore everything about FreshBooks. It is a great application for specialists and little organizations. I have been utilizing it for as long as couple of years and rate it the best programming in the market. At whatever point I had issues, the help group helped me to determine them rapidly with successful arrangements.

Pros

Probably the main motivations we picked FreshBooks over other programming: *Incredibly smooth and simple to utilize interface *Ability to mark your own in hues just as include your logo *Each client can be doled out their own charging gateway login and you can have various customers under one organization however each have diverse username *Utilizes Braintree instalments (our essential vendor processor)
FreshBooks is quick and dependable suite for accounting.FreshBooks is an honour winning money and bookkeeping programming and a standout amongst the best cloud answers for entrepreneurs. It is the present holder of Finances Online's Best Accounting Software Award for 2016 just as the Supreme Software Award for 2016, and has the most noteworthy consumer loyalty rates of all comparative applications in this classification. As you will discover in this survey, there is a not insignificant rundown of reasons why our specialists considered FreshBooks for these esteemed affirmations.

Cons

*Reporting could be improved *Needs better compromise as far as parities. You can do day by day monetary records, yet I would prefer to have it ascertain how my business is getting along dependent on capital in our present record, at that point factor in what we earned and our costs. *Not useful for organizations that have stock, need stock administration (this I wouldn't really rate as a con nonetheless, on the grounds that Freshbooks was constructed and intended for SERVICE style organizations - for that it works incredible) *Reporting can't be opened in the portable application, you have to get to it through the program *To my insight, you can't maintain different organizations out of one record. We as of now have two organizations and are choosing on the off chance that we are going to open up a different Freshbooks account or if there is another choice that is more qualified for the second business.

Brad
  • Industry: Events Services

Accounting for dummies

Reviewed on 19/06/2020

Overall I cant fault the product and would definitely recommend it to any business owner. The only thing I wish was possible, is to pay in my local currency for budgeting purposes.

Pros

I started using Freshbooks when I was given the opportunity to start a company in the wedding industry. At the time I had no idea what I was doing when it came to bookkeeping but FreshBooks made it easy to manage. What I loved about the software was the journey I followed, from Quotation to final invoice. The ability to send the quote/invoice with a simple click streamlined my business process. I eventually had to hand over when I couldn't handle the load, and because of the intuitive software, it was an simple handover. When I needed a report, i didn't have to wait for it to come from my bookkeeper, I just jumped online and got what I needed quickly and easily. Oh the cherry on the cake was the app. I used to showcase at trade-shows so the app allowed me to draw up an invoice and email the client without leaving the booth, or needing my laptop.

Cons

The price point was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, especially in an economy where the $ is much stronger than my local currency. The fluxuating market made budgeting a nightmare, and when getting a start up off the ground, every cent counts. While I could work around that, the one thing I disliked was the fact that one could go back and edit invoices/quotes post creation. I have since learnt that this is a big no no, but at the time I was non the wiser. I unfortunately lost money due to this, as many cash sales invoices were edited, and the balance pocketed.

Gaurav
Gaurav

FreshBooks is a reliable and fast accounting suite for complex financial management

Reviewed on 12/01/2018

A complete makeover

A complete makeover

FreshBooks developers understand the struggle of small teams to handle complex accounting projects and deliver efficient results.

Just as easy as you know it to be

Back in the days, a team of developers decided to design an easy, intuitive, and non-accountant friendly finance management app, and promised their users that this approach will never change.

Mobile-friendly and accessible

FreshBooks is considerably good at following trends, and the best proof of it are the mobile platform add-ons for iOS and Android devices, allowing you to access data and do accounting regardless of your location.

Saves billing time like no other app

FreshBooks redesigned its time tracking for billing purposes by allowing companies to accept payment online, and to do so via various payment gateways.

Excellent invoice to payment features

FreshBooks offers top rate invoice to payment features that can be used by all small businesses. For instance, you can track exactly when your customer opened your invoice email.

Tracking expenses with handy snaps

This feature comes handy if you need to liquidate expenses after a client meeting: you simply click a picture of the receipt and attach the snap to an item in FreshBooks to log the expense.

racking working times even better than before

The new version of the app allows you to becertain of the accuracy of your charges, and lets you have proof if a client decides to dispute them. You can even use the iOS and Android apps to track your working time in the field. Plus, it is easy to convert your work timesheet into an invoice and send it to clients for payments.

A bright future

As good as the new FreshBooks version may look now, it has only begun to develop. The company promises many advanced features in the near future, including bank accounts reconciliation, non-invoice income recording, and billing adjusted to enterprise-grade users. The innovative spirit is planned to spread on to reporting as well, and transform the scope of available integrations to help companies get paid for their efforts, time, and expertise. At the same time, FreshBooks Classic (as the old version is currently known) will remain active, but will constantly be absorbed within the new one's comprehensive productive suite.

Pros

businesses get to manage invoices and recurring subscriptions in less than no time, and collect online payments within the same system. In fact, FreshBooks enables Google Checkout, PayPal, and credit card payments, and integrates with a long list of business systems and applications that can streamline this process. With it, odds are good that you will unite financial control in a single system, and stop paying for the maintenance of complex software infrastructure.

A considerable advantage of FreshBooks compared to other accounting apps is the availability of fully-functional mobile apps and add-ons you can get for Android and iOS devices. The apps allow you to bring the power and convenience of the software on location, and do accounting and access records whenever you wish to do so. As you can see, FreshBooks literally takes finances out of the office, but does so in a safe and seamless fashion.

Cons

Despite a wide range of excellent features users have pointed out a few minor things that can be improved in FreshBooks: its metrics, goal setting, and reporting features can be better. One user also found bugs in FreshBooks email click-throughs and automated expenses which did not function to his liking. Apart from these insignificant glitches, hoever, there is no doubt that FreshBooks is a top notch accounting product that can bring a lot to your accounting deparatament.

Idris
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

My Honest Reviews About Freshbook

Reviewed on 14/02/2023

Pros

the most notable or noteworthy aspects of Freshbooks, there are several that are worth mentioning:Invoicing: Freshbooks offers a robust invoicing system that makes it easy to create and send professional-looking invoices to your clients. You can customize your invoices with your branding, accept online payments, and set up automatic payment reminders.Time tracking: Freshbooks includes a built-in time tracking system that allows you to track time spent on projects or tasks. You can also set up project budgets and track your team's hours to ensure you're staying within budget.Expense tracking: Freshbooks makes it easy to track expenses by allowing you to upload receipts, import expenses from your bank or credit card, and categorize expenses by project or client. You can also set up recurring expenses and mark expenses as billable to clients.Reporting: Freshbooks offers a variety of customizable reports that provide insights into your business's financial health. You can track revenue, expenses, and profit margins, as well as monitor cash flow, outstanding balances, and other key financial metrics.Mobile app: Freshbooks offers a mobile app that allows you to manage your business on the go. You can create and send invoices, track time and expenses, and view your financial reports from your smartphone or tablet.Overall, Freshbooks is a comprehensive cloud accounting solution that provides a wide range of features designed to help small business

Cons

While Freshbooks is a robust cloud accounting solution that offers a wide range of features, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider:Limited inventory management: Freshbooks does not offer a built-in inventory management system, which may be a drawback for businesses that sell physical products.Limited customization: While Freshbooks offers a good amount of customization options for invoices and reports, some users may find that the level of customization is limited compared to other accounting software options.Limited integrations: Freshbooks does offer a number of integrations with third-party apps and services, but the selection is not as extensive as some other accounting software options.Limited international support: Freshbooks is primarily designed for businesses based in the United States, Canada, and the UK, so businesses based in other countries may not find the same level of support and functionality.Pricing: Freshbooks can be relatively expensive compared to other accounting software options, especially for businesses that need to add additional users or access more advanced features.Overall, while Freshbooks is a solid cloud accounting solution, it may not be the best fit for all businesses, especially those with more complex needs or those based outside the US, Canada, or the UK.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

"Freshbooks: The Ultimate Accounting Solution for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 22/03/2023

based on the analysis of customer feedback, Freshbooks is generally well-regarded for its user-friendly interface, time-saving features, and excellent customer support. Some users have reported limitations with reporting and integration options, and others have found the price to be higher compared to other accounting software. Overall, Freshbooks appears to be a solid choice for small businesses looking for an easy-to-use accounting solution.

Pros

User-friendly interface: Freshbooks offers a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy to navigate and use, even for those with limited accounting experience.Time-saving features: Freshbooks offers several time-saving features such as automatic invoicing, expense tracking, and integration with popular payment gateways that can help streamline your accounting tasks.Customizable invoices: Freshbooks allows users to create fully customizable and professional-looking invoices that can be branded with your company logo and colors.Mobile accessibility: Freshbooks can be accessed from any device with an internet connection, making it easy to manage your finances on the go.Customer support: Freshbooks offers excellent customer support, with a dedicated team available to answer any questions or resolve issues promptly.User-friendly interface: Freshbooks offers a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy to navigate and use, even for those with limited accounting experience.Time-saving features: Freshbooks offers several time-saving features such as automatic invoicing, expense tracking, and integration with popular payment gateways that can help streamline your accounting tasks.Customizable invoices: Freshbooks allows users to create fully customizable and professional-looking invoices that can be branded with your company logo and colors.Mobile accessibility: Freshbooks can be accessed from any device with an internet connection, making it easy to

Cons

Limited reporting: Some users have reported that Freshbooks' reporting functionality is limited compared to other accounting software, making it difficult to generate detailed financial reports.Price: Freshbooks can be more expensive compared to other accounting software on the market, particularly for businesses with larger accounting needs.Integration limitations: Some users have reported that Freshbooks' integration options are limited, particularly when it comes to syncing with other accounting software or e-commerce platforms.No inventory management: Freshbooks doesn't offer inventory management features, which may be a disadvantage for businesses that need to track inventory.Lack of customization: Some users have reported that Freshbooks' templates and design options are limited, which may make it difficult to fully customize invoices and other financial documents to match their branding.

Rajitha Priyankara
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Why Freshbooks for your business

Reviewed on 21/04/2023

A cloud-based accounting program called FreshBooks is made to assist small businesses in managing their financial activities. A variety of services are available, including financial reporting, project management, time tracking, cost monitoring, and invoicing.Businesses can simply create and send invoices that look professional, receive online payments, keep track of costs, and produce financial reports using FreshBooks. It also offers tools for managing tasks and projects, enabling teams to work together on projects and keep track of how much time they spend on certain tasks.FreshBooks is a well-liked option among small business owners and freelancers who require a hassle-free method of managing their money because of its user-friendly layout and straightforward setup. It provides customer assistance via phone, email, and live chat and offers a number of pricing plans to fit various corporate demands and budgets.

Pros

FreshBooks is renowned for its user-friendly layout and straightforward setup. With FreshBooks, even if you have little to no expertise with accounting software, you can get going right away.FreshBooks has a number of time-saving features that can speed up payment and reduce manual data entry, like automatic invoicing and online payment acceptance.FreshBooks offers a variety of financial reports, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and tax summaries, that can give you information about the financial status of your company and assist you in making informed choices.FreshBooks comes with project management tools that let you work with your team, monitor the status of your projects, and charge clients for the time you spend working on them.Utilizing the FreshBooks mobile app, you can issue invoices, keep track of costs, and manage your money while on the road.Integration with other products: You can easily automate processes and optimize your workflow with FreshBooks thanks to its integrations with other widely used business platforms like PayPal, Stripe, and G Suite.

Cons

FreshBooks features a straightforward user interface, which could be problematic for companies with sophisticated accounting requirements. The program includes few choices for customization, which could not be sufficient for companies who need more adaptability.Pricing: For companies with larger teams, FreshBooks pricing can be quite pricey. Project management is one of the more sophisticated capabilities that is only offered with higher-tier plans.Limited inventory management: FreshBooks does not include extensive inventory management options, which could be a drawback for companies that need more thorough inventory tracking.FreshBooks has fewer integrations than other accounting software solutions, while integrating with well-known tools like PayPal and G Suite.Because FreshBooks is a cloud-based software program, accessing it necessitates having an internet connection. Businesses that operate in places with spotty internet connectivity may find this to be a drawback.

Noel
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

A fresh Look at Fresh Books

Reviewed on 03/05/2023

Overall, in my estimation, I have had a positive experience with FreshBooks. The software is has a user-friendly interface, which makes it easy for small business owners to manage their accounting tasks without needing extensive accounting knowledge. Users also appreciate the software's invoicing and time tracking features, which help them streamline their billing and accounting processes.

Pros

FreshBooks is a cloud-based accounting software that provides small business owners with tools to manage invoicing, expenses, time tracking, and other financial tasks. Here are some of the pros of using FreshBooks:1. User-friendly interface: FreshBooks has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate, even for users with no accounting background. The software provides a clean and intuitive dashboard that makes it easy to find the features and tools that you need.2. Invoicing features: FreshBooks provides robust invoicing features that allow users to create professional-looking invoices, set up recurring invoices, and automate payment reminders. Users can also accept online payments through the software, which makes it easier for customers to pay their bills.3. Time tracking: FreshBooks provides built-in time tracking features that allow users to track their billable hours and generate accurate invoices. This feature is especially useful for freelancers and service-based businesses.

Cons

1. Limited features: Some users have reported that FreshBooks lacks some of the advanced accounting features found in more comprehensive accounting software, such as inventory management or robust financial reporting.2. Limited integrations: While FreshBooks integrates with many popular third-party apps and services, some users have reported that the software has limited integration options, particularly when compared to more robust accounting software.3. Limited customization options: Some users have reported that FreshBooks has limited customization options, particularly when it comes to creating custom reports or modifying invoice templates.4. Pricing: Some users have reported that FreshBooks can be relatively expensive compared to other accounting software options, particularly for businesses that require multiple user accounts.

Response from FreshBooks

Hey Noel, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks.

To ensure the utmost clarity in the feedback provided to our team on your behalf (regarding integrations, customization, and pricing) please reach out to us via https://www.freshbooks.com/contact. Our Support Team can ensure any and all feedback is passed along to our Product Team on your behalf! ^DM

Free accounting apps never worked for me. Finally bit the bullet and am in major LOVE w...

Reviewed on 29/07/2018

Pros

This might make me sound superficial but the first thing I loved about Freshbooks was the interface. The icons, the buttons, the way everything looks is so so appealing to me. And it made me want to use the trial version (I did this a little more than 1 year ago). Using it made me feel like I was getting my financial act together. Which it later did, btw.

The time tracker is the best... time saver for me. It records time and then adds everything together in a way that nothing else really did. It seems so obvious but nothing I was using before helped track my hours this way. This is the thing that used to drive me round the bend when it came time to invoicing clients. I used to delay invoicing (aka "getting paid") because my own system was terrible..and I could not find a better way until finally deciding that maybe I needed to pay for something to help me.

I like the notes section for the time entries. I like how flexible it is to shift recorded time entries around or update the text to better describe what work I actually did.

I also love the support from Freshbooks. They're super responsive and extremely helpful. They do not waste my time with a lot of blather I've experienced in so many other customer service situations (like repeating back to me the question I just proferred). They include screenshots and precise language to answer my questions.

Also: Expenses in FB. I now go out of my way to add in expenses as they come w/o avoiding them.

Cons

I recommended Freshbooks to a friend of mine who started using it right away. Then he had trouble with a really difficult client he'd billed using Freshbooks. This client (I subcontracted with the friend so am aware of what all happened) contested all of my friend's work and refused payment after paying the Freshbooks invoice. And Freshbooks allowed the chargeback to happen. I think other software does not allow this --- for example, my friend now uses Quickbooks as a result.

I have also experienced some quirks when it came to adding new jobs to repeat clients. This is likely my own error but it's not something I've cared to reach out to the support team to question.

I also have not downloaded a year's incoming and outgoing details to give to an accountant. So I don't know how well that all works. Again, my own thing, and not necessarily on them.

No Two-Factor Authentication - Very bad overall security

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Freshbooks has been in business for years but does not have a basic Two-Factor Authentication feature to prevent hackers from gaining unauthorized access to customers' accounts. Not having this feature borders on negligence. This is a basic standard feature that other cloud accounting software XERO and Quickbooks have had for years.

Not having two-factor authentication is alarmingly bad because tens of thousands of Freshbooks customers are trusting Freshbooks with a ton sensitive company data about their finances, customers, bank information, credit card processor information, and prospects etc into Freshbooks. If hackers get a password, they can easily access this valuable information because there is no two-factor authentication to stop them from getting in.

Does Freshbooks take customer security seriously? Apparently not. I emailed them about this dangerous lack of basic security features and as of December 2019 Freshbooks says there is no plan to add two factor authentication in the future.

Their answer as the same as it was when I wrote them in 2018 about this problem. Their answer was that they would pass this suggestion along to their programmers so they can give it future consideration.

Pros

Ease of use and straightforward, simple interface. Easy invoicing.

Cons

Freshbooks lacks all of these industry standard security features:

No Two-Factor Authentication at login.

No IP address blocking to prevent certain IP addresses from logging in my account.

No log/audit showing when I last logged in and out of the account.

No forced internet timeout/log out when the account has been left untouched for a while.
This is standard on other online accounting software and is used by most banks as a security feature.

Response from FreshBooks

Hey there, thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreshBooks.

I certainly understand where you're coming from regarding features like two-factor authentication. While my colleague that you spoke with recently is correct that this isn't a feature we currently offer, I have flagged your feedback for our Product Team to review directly. This is a team we have a FreshBooks who reviews and gathers customer feedback for issues and concerns like what you've raised.

If there's any other feedback you wish to provide, please don't hesitate to reach our to our Support Team at 1-866-303-6061 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm EST or [email protected]. ^DM

Randal
Randal
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

"New" Freshbooks has completely make this formerly amazing service...unusable & frustrating

Reviewed on 28/10/2021

Loved them for more than a decade, until the "New" version completely left us wondering what went wrong. Their support has been great, helping us to move to another platform, but again, the "New" version is making that transition even harder, although we haven't tried to export from "Classic", so I could be wrong.

Pros

The previous "Classic" edition was so easy to use, powerful in its simplicity and quick.

The only thing I can say about the "New" version is that it is pretty.

Cons

The "New" version might be pretty, but it has become pretty awful to use.

The platform is now so slow, we often wonder if we clicked on something...so we wait (e.g. create an invoice).

Navigation used to be simple, but that is no longer the case. It takes many more clicks to find the information I need. I've been using now for about 2 months, so I know where to go, but it takes so much longer now.

Invoicing & applying payment now prone to mistakes. The Credit card option will be ON/OFF for all subsequent invoices, so it's hard to make an exception (e.g. hardware) for one invoice. We have to constantly check a few options for every invoice, making the whole process much longer.

Billing for time is somewhat better. It now shows ONLY the clients that have unmilled time, but once you create an invoice, the client will stay in the list for a good 15 minutes, making this feature cool, but useless.

All in all, being moved to "New" has been an absolute nightmare and has caused us to completely lose faith in this company, which I have been using since its inception.

We are sad to say, the problems by far outweighs the pretty interface, and we find ourselves forced to use something functional.

QuickBooks Desktop for Mac

Reasons for Switching to FreshBooks

At the time, I liked the Cloud version.

Response from FreshBooks

Hey Randal, thank you for taking the time to share your review and raise these concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced some issues when using FreshBooks - I have passed this feedback along to our team on your behalf. Feedback from customers like yourself is absolutely valuable for the changes and updates that are made to FreshBooks. You can keep up to date with all the changes and updates our team is making here: https://support.freshbooks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054235012-Changes-Updates-in-2021.

If there are any questions or concerns our Support Team can assist with, our contact information can be found here: https://www.freshbooks.com/contact. ^DM