Box

Mohammad
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

A Cost-effective, Robust Cloud Service

Reviewed on 01/01/2023

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the service & I'll keep on using it given how it's plays a crucial role in my productivity.

Pros

Box simplifies the process of backing up, managing & editing my files on the go from my office or home computer or from my phone. It's fast, reliable & offers a plethora of features that are presented upfront on the software's user interface, rather than being hidden inside layers of sub-menus. I'm a big fan of scheduled backups where after-work hours, Box can simply start backing up specific directories on my PC instead of manually doing the labour of transferring data locally to a slow, external drive. In short, convenience is what Box brings to the table.

Cons

As of the last mobile update, I'm noticing that the upload rate has dropped a little bit. I have a decent 5G router with a stable & speedy connection, so I don't really think my internet is the culprit here. Desktop & web versions work fine though.

Reasons for Switching to Box

For the monthly price & features Box had to offer, I'd say it was way more compelling than the considered alternatives.
Miha

Box is a great file storage, sharing, and collaboration tool.

Reviewed on 04/12/2023

Overall, the last 4+ years the tool has been really helpful for our organization. We also feel more secure adding files in Box that are sensitive vs Google Drive, so we use this as a backup up location for these types of files.

Pros

Cloud storage of files that are also accessible in the cloud and desktop.
Ability to limit access across staff, project teams, and internal or external organizations.
Large capacity for file storage at your fingertips.

Cons

Some features are not as thoughtout as other tools: renaming large amounts of items like photos, moving files from one folder to another, and many times links shared to outside orgs and emails dont work the first time.

Google Drive and Google Cloud Storage

Reasons for Switching to Box

Ease of use. Cost. Security of files. Access from desktop as well as cloud.
John
  • Industry: Telecommunications

The best service out there

Reviewed on 04/06/2024

Highle recommend organizations to adopt Box.

Highle recommend organizations to adopt Box.

Pros

Box is easy to configure and share for teams that may be on different networks.

Cons

Box has a wonderful UX design that allows for quick use and hassle free storage.

Richard

Box works well unless you have an issue

Reviewed on 24/12/2022

Box is a good cloud storage platform that integrates well with our CRM system, MS Office, Outlook, and Adobe. When its working it is fine, but your on your own when their is an issue ( ususally told to go to the knowledge database to figure it out). A time-consuming customer support approach for the user.

Pros

1. Works well with our CRM system2. Real time synchronization - no latency or delay in accessing loaded data3. Ubiquitos Data Access - with multi-location operations work teams are can collaborate very effectively between staff as well as with clients and third party sources.4. Avoids the local data backup issues

Cons

1. Customer Support is non-existent or your on your own. Always being asked to figure any issue out yourself by going to the knowledge database. No technical support phone number is available unless you pay a premium to talk to a human. Expect to spend a considerable amount of time trying to solve system problems.2. The process to remove unused box seats for people no longer with your firm is complicated and you risk losing the data those individuals loaded in your system. As a result, you pay for more seats than you actually use.3. Box and our CRM system get out of sync every 4-6 weeks. When this happens staff can no longer file documents within Box until the systems are re-synced.

Brooke

Google & Microsoft docs can finally live in the same collaborative space

Reviewed on 01/04/2024

Pros

I love the ability to have Google and Microsoft documents all in one folder that can be shared with others, operate in a collaborative space, and keep everything organized for all parties.

Cons

I haven't yet run across anything that I didn't like about Box yet.

Jamie
  • Industry: Accounting

Box useful tool

Reviewed on 17/01/2024

Pros

Updates are easy to track. Can restore older versions.

Cons

Cannot edit access files within Box. Can lose files if connectivity crashes. Had problems with more than one person editing same file at same time.

Nirmal
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

My Box experence

Reviewed on 08/06/2024

I had a wonderful and hassel free experence. It is smooth to use. I would definatly recommend to my friends and partners.

Pros

I like the ease of use. The navigation is prety neat and the data is well secured.

Cons

Sometimes the navigation is not precise but when similar tags are used it works fine. The organization of files could be little more better.

Scott

Reviewed on 02/07/2024

Pros

This file storage application is easy to use and to send links to other users to view files. I would reccomend

Cons

some of the version controlling isn't as easy as some other platforms.

Akash
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Advanced security features ensure data protection

Reviewed on 09/07/2024

Box is a popular cloud storage and collaboration platform, praised for its security features, ease of use, and seamless integration with other apps

Pros

Seamless collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.

Cons

Sharing files with non-Box users can be inconvenient.

Erica

Great Product

Reviewed on 03/07/2024

Pros

Box is very secure and makes it easy to share large files between team members.

Cons

Sometimes the file syncing lags, which can result in team members unknowingly working on older file versions.

Reliable, Safe, Cloud Storage

Reviewed on 12/09/2019

I have been very happy with Box. I have had not issues that I can think of. Box Sync is being phased out [YES!] in favor of Box Drive, which is their new file streaming service. I love how even though with Box Drive, the files are not actually on my computer, they are available instantly as needed. It is the exact same feature, but much better implemented in my opinion than OneDrive Files On-Demand and Google Drive File Stream provide.

Pros

Ease of use. It is simple, whatever is in your Box Drive folder is what is on Box. It is very easy to share files with others. Files are safe, and I would recommend them to anyone.

Cons

Some users have to use a secure DAV connection, and Box severely throttles DAV connections. Moving files around using this takes a lot of time, BUT it does work for now.

Dropped Google Apps for Business

Reasons for Switching to Box

Dropbox is a security nightmare. Used Box before, and so we moved back to them.
  • Industry: Accounting

10/10 File Sharing Solution - Internal and External

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

It has been excellent - the customer service is also fast if there are any outages (very rare) affecting our uploads/syncing. It has saved us numerous amounts of bandwidth and has encouraged our employees to save files to Box for redundancy purposes and not to store items directly on their desktop.

Pros

The ease of use of spinning up Box folders and collaborating among internal employees or external clients/customers. The granular permission settings within each folder allow the administrator ("owner" or "co-owner") help regulate privileges from editing, to downloading, and reading which is a great tool when looking to share with multiple parties at different levels. We stopped sending attachments via e-mail (not secure) and simply use Box now to point toward a Link where the file is located. If you don't have access to the link, you are unable to see the file. Our employees and customers love this feature and it keeps everyone involved and access privileges in check.

Cons

When using Box Drive, it can be a bit slow to sync when creating new folders, or modifying file names, directly on the desktop application (recommend using the Box web site), however, this is extremely minor. we have had many successes using Box and have not even considered exploring any other solutions for over 5 years.

ShareFile

Reasons for Switching to Box

Pricing, overall security, and vendor demonstration
Travis W.C.
Travis W.C.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

On the Go or From Home

Reviewed on 25/02/2020

I don't see any reason to change to another product or service, so long as the price remains competetive.

Pros

Box excels at one thing -- making documents accessible from anywhere. This amounts to benefits of efficiency and freedom to work on the go. Being able to access from any machine, particularly on a phone where other services often fail, enhances my ability to address customer's needs.

Cons

There's no indication when a file is open by another user. This has led to multiple users editing a document, and those documents don't merge well or at all, leaving a red exclamation point indicating there's an issue or an alternate file. We've lost some work this way. As a small company, this is manageable with clearer communication between employees, but I foresee this being an issue as we grow.

Reasons for Choosing Box

My company previously had a VPN that was difficult to access from new locations and equipment, was not compatible with different phones/computers, and crashed often. Before that, we used dropbox and google drive, which we still use to a very small degree. Box means I have freedom to work effectively from wherever I choose.

Reasons for Switching to Box

We considered enhancing our storage with DropBox. Ultimately we liked the interface and accessibility of Box which seemed to have faster upload/download speeds and added features like Box Notes.

Excellent document storage & management

Reviewed on 14/06/2021

Box empowered us to build a robust document repository that makes it simple for anyone on our team to find the files they're looking for.

Pros

Box has made our lives a million times easier by empowering us to store, organize, and share files of all types. We save our company assets, photos, Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel docs, PDFs, etc in various folders. We love the ability to tag files so we can find them easily. The document sharing features are excellent. I especially like the preview feature (it's much better than Google Drive's preview option).

Cons

My biggest complaint about Box isn't Box's fault – it's my company's settings. My company chose to have shared file links expire after about 30 days, which is a pain in the neck sometimes.

Reasons for Choosing Box

Box has a superior interface for storing & previewing non-Google files (ex. Microsoft Powerpoints).

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box was superior in how files were stored & shared.
Evelyn
Evelyn

Reliable System

Reviewed on 08/09/2022

My experience has been always good with this software despite they reduced considerably the space I used to have when changed their prices strategy.

Pros

The user interface is very user friendly.
The price is very fair compared with some competitors.
It does provide several features to host and manage documents, other than just hosting them in the cloud.

Cons

It fell behind some alternatives such as OneDrive or GoogleDrive which have much more integrations and document capabilities.

OneDrive , Google Drive , MEGA and HostGator

Reasons for Choosing Box

It used to have better plans to host and manage files.

MEGA and Dropbox Backup

Reasons for Switching to Box

Right now, we are employing most of the time Google Drive over any other alternative, since it is pretty straightforward to use, it is fairly easy to integrate with other Gmail users, and it does offer some other features that can´t be found on BOX
Jill

Box is serving as our One Source for all Collaborative Work

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

Box has been a positive and timely addition to the tools we use. We moved to Box just prior to the pandemic and it has become a staple for our now hybrid workteams.

Pros

Documents are easily stored and shared through our disbursed team. Having Box eliminates the need to keep local copies of important documents and allow for better control of versions. We have moved all of our Work Instructions and forms to Box for use within our Finance Team and for use by all company members. You can restrict access to ensure only those who need access can have it.

Cons

One thing it took us a while to get the hang of, is locking a shared document while we are updating it. If you don't lock the document, multiple people can access it and update it at the same time. Only upon saving would the team members learn that that we now have multiple copies of the same document and that none of them would be accurate.

Todd

Cloud file services that work like a real file share

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

I helped roll out this solution to a small (25 users) business almost 3 years ago to replace their local file server. I started using it myself vs. DropBox because the Box Desktop was so perfectly Mac, and I've since rolled it out to three other small businesses as a replacement for local file services they can access anywhere.

When COVID-19 hit, and said clients needed their workers to work from home, the workflow hardly missed a beat, thanks to the fact they can work anywhere just as if they had a local file share on their desktop.

Pros

The Box Desktop app actually works to keep files in the cloud until and unless I'm using them, saving precious disk space on users' systems — unlike an unnamed popular competitor. And on the Mac, it works just like an external disk or mounted file share — right on the desktop, in the proper file hierarchy with no proprietary interface to complicate things, or presume how I want to look at my files.

Cons

Tech support can be slow to respond, as its first tier of support is via their forum and email, and I've waited as long as two days to get a response to an issue for a corporate subscription, and it's painfully apparent that the first tier team is reading straight off of cue cards, because they suggest things to try, even when my previous communication states IN DETAIL that I've already done said thing in my own troubleshooting.

Beef up the support staff, pay better attention to what a customer has already said in their communications, and escalate things to engineering quicker, and they will remedy the one, glaring shortcoming in their service.

Reasons for Choosing Box

In order to make file services fully remote accessible, and avoid issues that DropBox caused, including the disconnect between local resources and cloud resources.

Reasons for Switching to Box

DropBox sync doesn't work reliably, and the cloud only option often breaks and fills up a computer's storage. in addition, DropBox gets in the way of a MacOS Finder interface to splash their own, proprietary interface that attempts to predict what I want to look at. I want to look at a folder tree, in the windows my own computer provides. Box Desktop gives me that.
Majeed Mohammed

allows me to easily access all the files I need to be productive on the go

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Box has really helped us to keep up our productivity. My team originally only used Box for file storage purposes, but remote working forced by the pandemic gave us a unique opportunity to further explore all the different ways we could apply Box; and boy, have we been blown away. From facilitating team collaboration seamlessly to keeping detailed audit trails of file access, Box has been a devine tool to have in these times.

Pros

Of all the amazing features Box offers, real time synchronization has been one of the most critical ones that have allowed me and my team to maintain optimal productivity during this forced period of remote work. Ease of file sharing, and access control management come in as close second favorite benefits of Box.

Cons

We usually have to open files of interest to confirm they are the right ones. And with images or other forms of visual files, where proper file naming is typically not observed, a preview panel might come in handy

Sadaf
Sadaf

One stop cloud for all your syncing, sharing and collaborating needs

Reviewed on 03/04/2019

Box is an online cloud-based content management software that is particularly helpful when you need to store, edit and share all your data and documents from one place. We have a business account with Box and have been using the same since more than a year. It is fairly simple to use, with updates coming out once in a while showcasing new features. The software interfaces seamlessly with the office suite (Office 365 or others), therefore allowing users to use it via their computer, and not necessarily through the website or app. However, it does consume tons of storage space on your computer, therefore I'd definitely recommend only syncing the files to be used rather than syncing all folders you're collaborating on.
Box is undoubtedly a great tool for virtual teams collaborating from different locations as sharing, uploading and syncing data is simple and stress-free. My team and I literally work through Box all day, and are always on the same page when it comes to our projects, as each one of us can view the other's uploaded documents on Box and continue working on the same. Additionally, managing and filing documents in one secure storage have become uncomplicated. For us, it reduces the chances of repeating the same work and error. of course, error; and also saving precious time not looking for files and folders all over.

Pros

Box allows users to upload all kinds of files of different formats (documents, images, video, drawing packages, zipped folders etc.) to its webpage (or app on phone/tablet) with ease. These uploaded documents can be shared with relevant team members, while also keeping them private from others where necessary. Shareable with the help of the link, Box files are easy to update, one can either edit in the browser itself or download to do the same. It is easy to track the activity of users, like who has viewed, downloaded and edited the files. This is a great tool when collaborating with colleagues through the web as all changes in a particular document/content are updated in real time and everybody working on that project can track changes and updates.
I consider Box to be a reliable, simplified and secure software that I am able to utilize abundantly on a daily basis with my team. It is accessible anywhere and everywhere with a stable internet connection. One can simply drag and drop files and folders to Box and it will get uploaded instantly. This works wonders when you are out of office (for example, site or travelling) and your team needs to access the documents you've been working on or vice versa.
Also, it is possible to have Box sync (as a standalone app) set up on your computer and aids easy syncing without the need to log in every time.

Cons

When compared to its competitors (Google Drive/OneDrive), Box does look a bit unappealing owing to its price tag. It offers four plans, the most inexpensive one being Standard (for personal use I presume), followed by Business, Business Plus and Enterprise. Small and medium-sized firms can make do with the average priced Business and Business Plus offerings. However, I don't think that I would invest in it if for my personal use.
Secondly, for files such as .dwg and .rar do not open as a preview and have to be downloaded for viewing. This poses a problem for me as I have to review large drawing packages and downloading them just for review is quite a hassle. Would love if these little aspects are fixed for the upcoming updates.

Kory
  • Industry: Investment Management

Collaboration and Document Management at its best

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

Overall, we have been very happy with our transition to Box. The features provided have exceeded our expectations and there are still more features that we haven't used yet and that are being released on a regular basis. The staff and programming teams have been extremely helpful for the set-up and customization of Box for our needs.

Pros

Box provides an intuitive platform for collaborating and sharing documents with other coworkers, while maintaining significant flexibility on permissions for maintaining security on information as needed. The search functionality and version control have made it easier to find information quickly and helps to eliminate duplication and multiple versions of files. The integration with Office 365 and other service provides have been invaluable in creating efficiencies in our daily workflows. Box's mobile friendly platform makes for simple, yet secure access anywhere when data is needed.

Cons

Box is best used as a web app rather than through the desktop app, Box Drive. When our company started use of Box, we were more familiar with navigation to files through the use of Windows Explorer. Box Drive is Box's app for accessing files through the Explorer. However, Box Drive is slow to update and more difficult to navigate, with more limited features compared to the Web app. Unfortunately, Box Drive still has to be used for certain functions of our work where the web app and/or integrations with our services do not work.

Egnyte
Oscar

It is comfortable to work collaboratively in Box

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

Box was born as a solution in my organization since before files were managed locally with internal servers where employees who are outside the workplace who want to access have to resort to a VPN and a type of access to the platform where they are. company files such as photos of properties for sale, rentals, sales made and other confidential files. With Box it has been possible to solve this problem of long-distance access since it only requires the employee's email to add it to the cloud and he can access it without any problem with established permissions and without requiring any type of VPN or protocol to be able to to access. It was also a good choice for this file manager in the cloud due to its plans since it is cheaper to have a certain number of box storage than to purchase physical storage with its respective backup, this greatly improves the return on investment for the organization.

Pros

Box has been the best, most intuitive and complete cloud file storage that can be had within the company where I work . I like the security that it has because that way I can protect the privacy of sensitive company files without compromising confidentiality. Its interface has reached a minimalist style that make Box seem like a simple file manager that comes with Windows, but in this case it's in the cloud. I think the feature of being able to grant access or no to all files is great, this being able to maintain better security when sharing and collaborating within Box. The dark mode allows me to have a more comfortable workflow because I am one of the people who spends a lot of time in front of the monitor and this is a great help for my eyes. I can easily work in collaborative mode and kow who made changes to the file or folder, this make it easier when it comes to projects in wich a team needs to consult or edit files without resorting to other archaic means of sharing information.

Cons

I really like most of the features of this platform but I have small drawbacks compared to some that do not harm the user experience or functionality as much. However, I would like the to improve those aspects because Box would be much more complete and attractive. Among the aspects that I want to improve is the preview of the files, for example I am intereted in certain files to verify information such as a photograph and verify that everything is fine without having to open the file, because in Box it is like blurry to see the preview and I have to open the file directly to check. Another problem that I have presented several times is that when I work with my team on a file or folder and we make changes simultaneously to maximize the workflow, there is no indication when someones is editing a document at the same time, creating several versions of the edition and turning everything into chaos.

Nazir

"Box: A Comprehensive and Secure Cloud-Based Content Management and File Sharing Solution

Reviewed on 15/01/2023

very good

very good

Pros

One of the things I like most about Box is its security features. Box offers an extensive set of security features, including user access controls, data encryption, and audit trails, to ensure that the data stored on the platform is protected. This is particularly important for businesses and organizations that need to store sensitive information and ensure that it is only accessible to authorized individuals.Another aspect that I like about Box is its integration capabilities, Box allows integration with other software tools such as Office 365, Google Workspace, Salesforce and many others. This makes it easy for users to access and edit files, even when working in other applications.The platform is also user-friendly and easy to navigate, with a clean and intuitive user interface, it makes it easy for users to store, share, and collaborate on files. Additionally, it offers a wide range of features and functionalities such as file versioning, commenting, and task management, which makes it a comprehensive solution for managing and sharing files.

Cons

One of the things I like least about Box is its cost. While the platform offers a wide range of features and functionalities, it may be more expensive than some other similar solutions on the market. Additionally, the pricing structure can be complex and difficult to understand, which can make it challenging for businesses to determine the best plan for their needs.Another thing to consider is that the platform can be a bit overwhelming for new users. With a wide range of features and functionalities, it can take some time to learn how to use all of them effectively. This can be a challenge for businesses and organizations with limited IT resources.It's also worth mentioning that as a cloud-based service, Box relies on a stable internet connection to function, if the internet connection is weak or unreliable, it can cause problems such as slow performance, dropped connections or even lost data.Overall, while Box is a powerful and secure cloud-based content management and file sharing solution, it may not be the best fit for all businesses, especially those on a tight budget or with limited IT resources. It's important for users to carefully consider their specific needs and preferences before deciding to use the service.

Jose
Jose
  • Industry: Chemicals

Very useful cloud platform for storing and sharing company documents.

Reviewed on 22/05/2023

We chose Box as a reinforcement and cloud arrangement, the truth simply can browse records straightforwardly from your working framework like a record organizer is extraordinary, in spite of the fact that it's comparative to other administrations presently. Box fathoms a part of issues for our organization, like distribution center issues, security of those things, and a assembly put for our group, we will transfer assignments and oversee those tasks inside. We filter client printed material on our computers, upload it to a shared file, and after that thrust it into our company's other program to urge it where it should go.

Pros

Box has ceaselessly demonstrated to be a one-stop-shop and powerhouse, giving end-users with numerous alternatives for organizations, too illustrating the capacity to see what others have included, awesome for collaboration and venture administration. The thought that the Box can give full match up administrations as well as back up your NAS drives is extraordinary, the finest highlight being the volume of capacity you get. Everybody who works in my office can share records in a common put interior the Box, from where we transfer them to our program, so ready to all include records for clients in one put.

Cons

One of the most difficult difficulties is setup; there appears to be no mechanism to define which volumes to back up, yet things mysteriously roll back. It's unclear how it works, and there appears to be no explanation or instruction on how to set up specific backup folders. Poor status updates; we have TBs of data saved with Box; we have no idea when files are backed up; Box Drive is meant to sync data rapidly, however it does not. Things eventually get copied across, but we're left wondering how much we can believe our data are up to date.

Joseric
Joseric
  • Industry: Utilities
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Box for personal or office digital storage

Reviewed on 10/08/2018

Box continues to amaze and survive given the steep competition out there. Its main selling point for us is the boost in confidence as regards its super security features and data loss prevention.

Pros

There are many things to love about Box. For one, its Business plans come with unlimited storage! We started out with Free just to try it, then moved to Starter then Business (as we needed more than 10 users on board). It's worth it esp for small to medium-sized businesses looking for a secure place for storage with tons of extra features for both admin and security.

The 5GB upload is enough for the big multimedia and other iso/archive files we have.

For our admin, the integration with our Active Directory saved us from having to require our users to create/maintain an extra account (user/password) for Box. We are also proud to announce to our team about its security features like SSL, encryption, and even two-factor authentication for the meticulous.
Although​ we haven't had the need for the DLP (Data Loss Prevention) that Box advertises, we are happy that this is part of our subscription and gives a little extra boost of confidence with our files.

The corporate logo can also be incorporated into the platform to make it personalized according to your company's branding scheme.

Box also offers a ton of possible integrations. So far what we use are integrations with Google Suite (e.g., docs), Salesforce (CRM), and MS Office 365. This makes it easy for users​ to create content is our usual platforms and then easily save and manage them in Box.

Cons

We have quite a number of staff who already use other online storage platforms (Dropbox, Google Drive). Note that Non-Box users can only access files as Read-Only... in which case our people really had to be forced to create an account for edit purposes and collaboration.

Staci

The best cloud storage on the web!

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

One of the best continual investments we've made with the company. This platform has single-handedly help us acquire new clients and projects, thus increasing the bottom line.

Pros

This is the most robust cloud storage platform on the web. Having been a client for over 10 years, there has been continued improvement to accessibility and security from the company. The ease of accessing files and sharing with others is second to none.

Cons

Absolutely nothing was below par. We love it and continually use it daily. Even the mobile app is fantastic!

Dropbox Business and Google Drive

Reasons for Choosing Box

Price and overall accessibility.

Reasons for Switching to Box

Price and overall accessibility.