ActiveCollab

4.4/5

375 Software options

Mari-nella B.
  • Industry: Design

It is a beautiful app but not that useful

Reviewed on 07/09/2021

It was nice in the beginning but I just soon realised I needed something with easier to use features and no hidden costs. Onces a app like this becomes too complicated to navigate or customise - you will not use it as you need to daily because of that hassle.

Pros

It is beautifully designed so initially it seemed easier to use and navigate.
It had a client portal and I could track my jobs and invoice/do estimates all from one place.

Cons

It has hidden fees. Everywhere it advertises itself as only 7.50 a month. - But using the MAIN FEATURES OF WHY I WANTED THIS APP is extra, like invoicing, time tracking and using the client portal. This was not made clear initially. The client service is terrible. I would ask questions but there response was really terrible english language - not what I would expect from an international app that everyone should be able to understand. Especially a client service person called Darla. Terrible and rude manners and unhelpful.!

Pluto LMS, monday.com and ClickUp

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCollab

I wanted a app that I could use to track my projects, my daily tasks, and has a timer. Plus I can send out cost estimates and invoices from and my clients can log into to track and make note of project progress and timeline.

Asana and Todoist

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCollab

Activecollab seems to be the cheapest option where I could managment my projects, finances and clients from one place.

Response from Active Collab

We appreciate your honest feedback, and we are sorry to hear you had this experience with ActiveCollab.
As for the pricing, additional features such as Invoicing, Time Estimates, Workload, Availability, etc., are listed in the GePaid bundle section, which is charged additionally and is not a part of the basic paid plan. You can check out our pricing on the official site here: https://activecollab.com/pricing

Jolie H.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Active Collab makes working together simple

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

My team is spread across the country and Active Collab allows us to work together on projects seamlessly. Our outside partners are also able to work with us easily.

Pros

Great tool for managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
Pretty robust feature set
Simple to access and easy to invite collaborators in & out of my company

Cons

Upgrades have been a bit buggy and while the team are responsive, they don't always believe that they've broken something

Trello and Slack

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCollab

Better features competitive pricing All around, Active Collab is a more flexible tool that is easier to use

Basecamp

Pricing and features
Bappaditya M.

Best Project and task management software for SMEs

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

Simple UI, even a stupid person may understand after simple guidance

Pros

I have tried multiple task management software for our company, But anyhow I was not satisfied with other product because of no option to manage workload or time and invoice calculation or somehow workflow is difficult for non technical user to use.
Activ Collab has the most simple UI and Design. Only 1 or 2 days training will be sufficient for any users to understand it.
Workload segment is really simple and most important functionality it have.
And the support team is really great.

Most importantly - it have self hosted options which is utmost priority for us for data security and privacy and also we can reduce cost for our users.

Cons

Android app needs improvement. It doesn't comes anywhere near to desktop web version.

ProofHub

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCollab

Selfhosted options not available in Proofhub, Data security and privacy is a big concern for us. Design of Activ Collab is much more simple.
Joshua D.

This system is the very bedrock of client collaboration in our company. We simply need it.

Reviewed on 09/03/2018

Pros

Diversity of features. It covers calendar integration, task management, expense and time tracking, client estimates and invoicing is integrated, discussions with clients are threaded and neatly organized at all times, file uploads that act as a mini-Dropbox for yourself and your clients, notes, facebook-style timeline of the activity within each project... And I haven't even touched on the level of customization, multitude of extensions (Zapier included), scalability (with self-hosted options!), and the iOS app that works with either cloud or self-hosted versions (our clients LOVE the app).

We love ActiveCollab because of it's diversity. That's the one reason that in our opinion, it's simply irreplaceable. Having to replace it would be like adding tripling the administrative work on our plates. It replaces the need for multiple separate services that do each of those things separately. Who wants that when you can have one single login to one single system that can rule them all? ;)

SIMPLY. IRREPLACEABLE.

Cons

The iOS and Android apps needs some work. They don't do as much as the desktop version, so they feel limited. They don't really take advantage of features like gestures or multi-touch, which every smartphone has.

We'd really like to be able to upload more than just pictures from the camera roll; some kind of file picking, or option to upload to ActiveCollab from another app (share sheets) would go a LONG way. Optimization for tablet-size screens would be sweet too, along with the simple ability to make text in the app bigger or smaller, so it's easier to read.

The calendar allows for syndication via subscription links, but stopping there feels premature. It would help a lot to be able to integrate to Calendar apps (via CalDAV), since the calendar isn't available on the mobile app either. It would be really nice so that we can add or edit events from our native calendar apps of choice.

Support is fantastic, and extremely knowledgeable. We run a self-hosted installation, which is more economical for us, but we don't have pros running our server environment. That task falls on us, teaching ourselves as we go, and it feels like support will drop clues about what an issue is, instead of going the distance and going in themselves to help fix the problem. Granted, that's more of a problem with /us/, since we're business administrators and not experts in server management. But support will not abandon you. They've always got your back, no matter how tough the problem!

Ross C.

Great Project Management Software

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

It organizes my life every day.

Pros

Solid options for organization and streamlining processes that even clients can be taught to use. As a creative agency selling our time it's important to communicate quickly and efficiently with our clients. A big part of that happens at the beginning of every project when they fill out a creative brief. We've used ActiveCollab to set up standard brief templates so AC asks all the questions and they go down the list and fill it out. The time tracker works great and is a painless way to keep track of time. Email notifications are great, especially being able to respond to comments VIA email really speeds things up. Support staff is great. Always available and helpful.

Cons

The invoicing functionality is great but is missing major sorting and display capabilities. For example, if I wanted to show each time entry with its note about what that entry was for organized by project, I cannot do that. My wife has also complained about the App not having a lot of functionality, but I have not used it much personally. I also think the 'Notes' 'Files' and 'Discussions' tabs are kind of random. Haven't found a good place for those in our workflows and they're confusing for clients. I realize it's a big thing to ask, but I'd also like to see some way of incorporating something like Slack into Active Collab, so we can move away from Skype completely.

Linda K.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Flexible, easy to use system

Reviewed on 26/11/2020

We have been using AC for five years to manage projects in an in-house marketing and communications team. Overall, we've been able to adapt the system to our needs. AC makes it easy to stay out of email for day-to-day tasks like assigning work, reviewing work, checking on project status, etc.

Pros

Being able to:
- upload images and files into task discussion threads to facilitate easy review of work
- easily add and archive users
- run reports at the task, project, client, and user levels

Cons

- No integration with Microsoft Teams.
- Limited ability to manage user groups or fine-tune user permissions.
Most needed feature:
- The ability to mark notifications "unread" or "priority".

Susan L.

Constantly Improving and Helpful Support

Reviewed on 28/02/2019

The team is immediate to help, and pleasant to deal with. Also, truly they release updates like monthly, the product is always getting better which is AWESOME.

Pros

This software includes all of the features of the leading brands and more in most cases. I compared ActiveCollab to every system out there and tried demos and trials of each as well. It combines robust options with ease of use, and is more affordable than most other options. We can use kan-ban, calendar or list views, and can organize almost everything to our own preference. They also are continuously upgrading the system and adding features. I also like that they have a roadmap on their website so you know what they will be working on next. Top quality product and service.

Cons

We used to be able to change the colors and design options but now we are limited to one set of colors and 4 or 5 different background images. I know it is probably only the designers who care, but as a design company, it drives me crazy. It's not ugly, per se, and it is definitely not hard to read or use, but it is not how I would like it to look, so, it's my least favorite thing about it.

Surprisingly helpful and pleasantly quick to implement. Continuing to find more useful...

Reviewed on 10/02/2018

Increased project efficiency, improved client satisfaction through better scheduling, better communication, and giving clients open access to interact with us on project tasks (while easily limiting them from internal discussions they don't need to see).

Saved time on recording project data and improvements/lessons learned, saved time invoicing thanks to time tracking and integration with accounting software, and have a centralised document store for internal use (apart from client projects) without needing to manage a duplicate access permission system.

Pros

Lots of detailed helpful features which don't complicate the interface but are great when you start using them. Customer support has pointed some out when I put in what we thought was a feature request... but it already existed and I'd missed it.

Actively developed and continually updated without annoyingly changing things unnecessarily or 'fixing' anything that isn't broken.

Cons

Using Elastic Search as the only available search feature is limiting, as it's difficult to host and especially so in a shared hosting environment. Without Elastic Search, there's not even a simple text search available for project/task/comment description.

There's a couple glitches that pop up from time to time but customer support has been responsive about them and some of our suggestions have been included as feature requests.

Clay K.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

ActiveCollab Review

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

Overall I cannot recommend ActiveCollab enough. The application is extremely user friendly and the support staff is extremely responsive and very helpful!

Pros

I love how easy it was to implement across our IT team. We started using this for our project management and it has drastically increased our efficiency and communication.

Cons

The only thing I have found that I dislike about ActiveCollab is there is no due date for overall projects. You can create due dates for individual tasks, but it would be nice to set it for the project itself. In no way has this impacted our performance, it would just be a nice feature to add.

Redbooth and Basecamp
Michel M.

Best Collab Tool Out There

Reviewed on 07/01/2017

Over the past 10 years I worked with several online project management, collaboration and accounting tools, including Basecamp, Harvest/Forecast, Freshbooks, Trello, Asana, Teamwork, Podio, Wrike, etc. Two years ago we started working with Active Collab, and it is the most comprehensive tool so far. Not everything is perfect yet, but compared to all other tools out there, it does the best job in modelling your business, enabling collab workflows and being on top of all projects developments. And it has a nice UX, which is very important if you work 8+ hours a day with an app/software/tool.

Pros

Covers almost everything you need for team workflow and managing (digital) project, nice UX, rich features, moderate price

Cons

Lacks a dashboard/cockpit, reports should be more flexible and easier to use, design of estimates and documents should be more flexible, billing options should be more flexible

OK for task & project management

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

It is an average tool that will get the job done for anyone that needs basic task and project management.

Pros

This tool is intuitive to use and had a pretty easy ramp-up period. Projects can be organized easily and tasks are easy to create and assign out. The comment function works well for tracking task updates and notes.

Cons

Does not have a task workflow built into it, and is not great if you have more advanced project tracking needs. The time tracking also needs improvement.

Response from Active Collab

Appreciate you sharing the feedback with us! We would love to hear more about the suggestions for improving the time tracking and workflow on tasks, you can reach out to our support at [email protected] or share your suggestions on this page: https://activecollab.com/help/suggest-a-feature

Emma S.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

ActiveCollab is great for keeping in touch with colleagues around the world - makes it fast...

Reviewed on 14/02/2018

Ease and speed of use, ability to tag co-workers, review discussions easily and keep track of tasks.

Pros

I love the fact that it's linked to my email account, so if there is a new post I know about it quickly! It's also great that I can reply to threads directly from my email, that feature is so helpful.

I like that the threads within ActiveCollab are easy to keep track of, so no more wading through emails trying to find a reference to something!

The interface is quick and easy to use, and it's great being able to tag co-workers in threads to grab their attention.

Cons

There isn't much to be honest, but I suppose I would like it if the software took me directly to recent activity, as when there are a lot of projects sometimes I find it hard to navigate my way to the thread I'm looking for. But that's a minor quibble!

Other than that, I really enjoy using the software.

Matthias N.
  • Industry: Design

We have been using ActiveCollab as a collaboration tool in our agency since 2009 and are still...

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Our entire team is happy to finally use only one piece of software for teamwork. Starting with the project manager, up to the developer and the support all use the same software. Due to the interface (API) the software can be integrated wonderfully into our existing system infrastructure.

Pros

Cons

We use the self-hosted version of the program. One requirement for the search is the use of ElasticSearch. Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment, so that we cannot use the search.

Aaron G.

Very intuitive for our daily use. Our 4-person team is able to keep everything clear and...

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

Workflow efficiency. Team project management. Time-tracking for hourly clients.

Pros

The robust features that are at our disposal should we scale up or change the way we work. Discussions, notes, tasks, lists. Third-party app integration if needed. I like that we have room to grow. I also very much like the reports. As the business owner, it's key to see how efficiently my team is performing, and how to keep our workflow profitable.

Cons

Day-to-day, the timer app is buggy. It's frustrating when I can't scroll through our long list of active jobs, or when the status doesn't appear in my toolbar for easy reference. We've also had issues with days going by with time records not being logged, having to take screencaps and re-enter by hand (if we're lucky enough to no re-start the app). A better timer app would be very welcomed.

Al S.

I have been an advocate of Active Collab and I have been taking it with me with every new...

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

It's a great contractor\agency tool. But you don't have to be an agency, its great for in-house too

Pros

Easy to use, affordable, logical, logical, really helps. The latest version has greate GUI and I have been using this tool for last 4 years. I first used it at Xivic, then took it with me to Get My Auto, Everything Online, Digital Advertier, and now my own consulting firm.

Cons

I wish it would connect to other project management tools such as basecamp, asana, etc. I work with many contractors and vendors and if I could do everything in active collab, then it would create a ticket in their platforms, it would be awsome.

Kaylie K.

One of the best project management softwares I've used (and I've used a lot!)

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

I have used a lot of project management software between different jobs and Active Collab has by far been the easiest, most straightforward, and practical. I love how streamlined it is. I've used far too many software that try to do too much at once and there are WAY too many buttons and options to complicate things. Active Collab gets the balance right between offering lots of features and keeping the interface user friendly. While there are a few features I wish this had, Active Collab has been great at listening to their users by adding requested features. I greatly appreciate it!

Pros

-Easy to see everything assigned to me
-Ability to star projects to keep them at the top
-Multiple timers all reside under a convenient clock icon at the top
-Ability to add reminders
-Labels

Cons

-Can only sort tasks by name, project, or due date. I wish you could sort by more than one thing at a time (i.e. By project AND due date)
-Sometimes buggy, but a simple refresh usually fixes the problem

Active Collab for In-house Marketing

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

It's been a lifesaver in keeping our department running efficiently and everyone on campus can access us without leaving their building.

Pros

Ease of use, very similar in concept to Facebook. The price is super reasonable. I know there are more elaborate platforms out there, but for our small, in-house marketing and communications team it works really well. They keep improving it based on customer feedback.

Cons

Sometimes there are issues uploading files, you can really only upload one at a time.

Anthony j. F.

Game-changing for our Deployments

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

This product completely changed the way we deploy our software. It provides us, our clients, and our partners with transparency and clarity in communication and remaining tasks.

Pros

This application offers a good mix of features and simplicity. Specifically, I like the ease of creating projects and assigning tasks to personnel.

Cons

Certain tasks are admin-heavy - time entry against a task comes to mind. You need to click through a couple of layers to add time to a task. A number of features have been added but the missing functionality impacting us the most is that there is no "out of office" messaging or a way to delegate projects for times of planned absence.

Lukasz O.
  • Industry: Design

God view for your freelance work

Reviewed on 16/12/2020

Overall the tool is amazing and has so much value in it.

Pros

Complexity – time counting, project & task management, reports and invoicing in one place.

Cons

Workload feature doesn't adapt to time spent on task already – in consequence, it's a bit confusing to know exactly how much time you should spend on your work in the following days because it's basing on an estimated time only.

Also, it's not possible to create a team in which team members have can view time entries for the project of other team members which makes collaboration witch hour-rate system difficult – I have to send a screen of time spent on a project to my client (who is a team member in ActiveCollab) every month.

David K.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Excellent project management program. Have used several and we chose ActiveCollab.

Reviewed on 06/02/2018

Changed the way that we manage projects and tasks. Really increased visibility for teams about where their projects are, who is responsible for items, and what needs to happen to move forward.

Pros

Very intuitive and easy to use. Has most of the features of the larger competitors. Being able to self-host was a key consideration for our industry, most others are only cloud based. It makes managing projects and teams very easy, and everyone can see what is happening in real-time.

Cons

Don't have many dislikes. Would like to see more flexibility with the time and expense tracking, as well as more admin control over notifications and preferences.

Andrea S.

Great tool for Project Management

Reviewed on 25/02/2019

Great tool, one of my favourite. Very simple to use for entrepreneurs, PM, clients, developer, designer.
I reccoment to everyone who manage online clients.

Pros

I like the UI and the simplicity of use. Overall it is a great and intuitive tool. I think that also the invoicing system is not bad but I'm not using it.

Cons

I manage several companies, each company manage more than one project. Would be nice add a gerarchy for Companies > Projects > Tasks. At the moment Active collab doesn't manage this feature.

And another feature that I'd like to see that is missing, and for me would be nice, add a logo for each project card.

Damien H.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great collaboration software...

Reviewed on 09/01/2017

... but be prepared for frequent massive changes. We had some headaches in the past for updating activeCollab and switching from the old version to the next one.
The ability to run it through php and mysql is great. It needs elasticsearch and this is not great at all.
Right now, the software is well-done. It offers the essential features for a collaboration software. It lacks : two-phase authentification, integration with office 365.

Easy to install
Cheap to host

Cons

Future not clear
Frequent changes in recent times

Philip G.

More features than Basecamp and considerably cheaper

Pros

Updates are released on a frequent basis (and are a 1-click install)
Requires little to no training
You can create subtasks (unlike Basecamp)
You can set a task start date as well as end date, and use a Gantt chart view of projects (unlike Basecamp)
Can be installed on your own server

Cons

The mobile app is not yet fully featured and receives infrequent updates
You can't preview most types of files yet (such as Word docs like Basecamp does)
In the 'My Work' section, you can't yet filter by day/week/month like you can within the project pages

Daniel F.

Tested many Project Management Apps available and still feel ActiveCollab is one of the best!

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

Pros

I like many aspects of the software, so hard to be specific but the overall value and ease of use ranks up there for me. The software developers took a more simplistic approach to Project Management then other Apps about there, which I like.

Cons

I don't dislike much but would like to see more analytics for the Timeline features and the Client Views/Access vs our Views/Access should be a bit more unique. Meaning, would like to see more Roles and Permissions settings for the Clients, so they we can have more flexibility or more options under Roles and Permissions.

Maureen A.
  • Industry: Media Production

Works for us

Reviewed on 12/01/2017

I've been using this for about 6 years now, 4 at my employer's and when I opened up my own company went with it again. It's intuitive, and handles most functions that an agency needs, in one spot. I am able to use it well for internal team as well as managing freelancers, and adding them as needed.

Pros

Easy to use, intuitive, even for those not as familiar with it

Cons

Very minor, things like printing invoices or SOWs directly from system instead of downloading to my computer first