Confluence

4.5 (3,384)
Write a Review!
Create, organize, and discuss work with your team

(3,384)
4.2/5

Steve
Steve

The Collaboration Platform You've Waited For

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

We document everything in Confluence. I run a digital marketing team of around 20 people and have a total of 40 users in the tool (a few other teams besides mine use it). It's been a fantastic tool to get everyone on the same page and keep track of our how-tos, meeting notes, plans, goals, features/specs, etc.

Pros

Real-time simultaneous editing
Ease of finding and organizing what I've written
Constantly adding new features
Integration with Jira and Trello is great, but also works as lightweight project management by itself

Cons

Honestly, they've fixed my biggest cons, like storage space (now you can buy a bigger plan) and they keep adding more things.
I think my colleagues would say there's still a learning curve, which is understandable, and I think Confluence has been changing the interface with more tips and features for new users (which is sometimes confusing for long-time users like me, LOL)
One big con is still the limited integration with MS Office. Confluence fully replaces the need for Word in most cases, so that's not a big deal, but I wish the Excel integration and/or the table functionality was better.
Also, printing is pretty tough when you have tables.

Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Confluence is quite inexpensive for what you get and it's super powerful. I really love the quick, accurate search results. The macro functionality and new "Slack" style slash commands are really cool. The notification system is very nice, especially the @mentions.
Luke
Luke

Best knowledge management and wiki out there

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

If you use other Atlassian products, Confluence is the perfect complement. Because exporting documents is so bad, it works best if you, your colleagues and your stakeholders/clients all exist in the same Atlassian ecosystem.

Pros

Highly configurable and easy to use document templates, beautiful interface akin to using Medium, and deep integration with Jira Software and Jira Service Management are the features I find most useful. Recent changes to Templates to enable you to quickly search and preview available templates is incredibly helpful, as inline commenting while editing and being able to quickly convert anything into a Jira issue. Being able to use Confluence to defer service management requests by offering reporters the option of self serving an answer to their question/problem is a stroke of genius.

Cons

It's beyond irritating that exporting documents as a PDF is so horrendous out of the box. I also find the concept of Actions vs Jira issues confusing. I consistently find myself missing actions that have been buried in Confluence.

Alyssa
  • Industry: Events Services

Good Place to Organize Assets

Reviewed on 06/05/2024

Our team (registration within events - or customer service) used Confluence almost daily to keep all our documents and communications organized. It was a hub for for training documents, templates, you name it. It's a good place to keep your assets organized.

Pros

Confluence is very organized. You can add pages and subpages, you can link to different pages within those pages. You can add files and images to your notes, as well as format your documents.

Cons

That we don't use it anymore! As much as our department like it, it wasn't as useful to other departments in our company.

Andrew
Andrew

Practical Option for Atlassian Users

Reviewed on 04/06/2021

When paired directly with JIRA, the Confluence platform can be a very powerful tool in terms of organizing project documentation with active or archived projects. Unlike other JIRA add-ons, the ability to activate or deactivate the product at the individual user level makes it much more affordable and a solid value option. As a standalone product, however, Confluence falls shorts in terms of features and user interface when compared to other word processors or document cloud storage systems.

Pros

Confluence is a great option for existing Atlassian users looking to seamless integrate an active knowledge base into their project workflow. With direct connection to the JIRA project management platform, Confluence allows you to connect existing users directly to relevant project documentation. Its base functionality is fairly intuitive for novice users, and its advances permissions schemes allow you to create a variety of admin tiers that can restrict access to relevant users only. The integration between Confluence and JIRA is as simple as checking a box in the user admin panel.

Cons

As a general word processor, Confluence can be a little clunky when compared to the UX of similar processors such as Word of Google Docs. While its advanced features can be very useful for more experienced users, available tutorials can be difficult to come by and are often outdated. Like most Atlassian products, the bounty of features, settings, and schemes can be very overwhelming to the average user and are not overtly intuitive. Document organization can also be very confusing, as there are a variety of options to choose from when creating parent and child pages.

Google Docs, Trello, Microsoft 365 and Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

Direct integration with JIRA.

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Direct integration with JIRA.
Geraldine

The go-to documentation & knowledge sharing platform

Reviewed on 10/02/2024

Pros

A lot of flexibility when it comes to structuring documentation, sharing options, organization and formatting. Great integrations with other plugins (example: Jira obviously, Bitbucket obviously, but also G-suite, Miro, and more). Templating system makes SOP implementation more efficient. Page-level permission control over who can see and edit the pages is very useful for admin documentation and people management documentation.

Cons

Like all Atlassian products, it's going to cost you an arm and a leg - especially if you want the nice extra features. For around 150 users, it can run you up to $3k/month, without the add-ons. Also, have to say, I'm not a big fan of the pdf exports, the formatting can be really off from the original page.

Sachini
  • Industry: Capital Markets

Overall a good content management tool but there’s room for improvement when storing unsaved...

Reviewed on 15/04/2024

Pros

What I like the most about Confluence is how straightforward and user friendly it is even to someone who is new to the software industry.

Cons

There have been multiple occasions where the changes I’ve made to a Confluence page have been saved but didn’t allow me to continue updating the same changes due to an error. Automatic saving has room for improvements.

Aomukaga

Confluence: Improving productivity and collaboration

Reviewed on 29/04/2024

Pros

I like that the tool helps improve productivity in project management and collaboration is enhanced in our teams

Cons

The pricing is quite expensive compared to similar tools

Paresh

Confluence

Reviewed on 01/05/2024

Pros

Really good product for software development and product management teams. Good document management and highly configurable.

Cons

It doesn't allow creation of a page with same title in same space, even if it is at different location.

Justin

Good knowledge management let down by inconsistent page editing

Reviewed on 02/04/2024

Generally pretty great, so long as I am not trying to edit a page.

Generally pretty great, so long as I am not trying to edit a page.

Pros

Powerful options, like in page scripts, code blocks, versioning.

Cons

Formatting a page well is frustrating.

On prem search was bad. Cloud search is better

Fassil

The Amazing Solution For Idea Management

Reviewed on 27/03/2024

Pros

I like the great idea and knowledge management features
It features some helpful document management capabilities

Cons

With Confluence, is all smooth and no complaints.

Powerful wiki software

Reviewed on 13/08/2019

Confluence has become the place for us to collect information, across our business. We use it document our processes and policies (the access controls prove useful there), and our development teams use it on a daily basis to record the outcomes of discussions and to share knowledge.

Pros

Confluence does a good job as a tool for writing, organising and viewing all kinds of documentation.
It's fairly wiki-esque, but with a more intuitive editor for pages that should make it easier to pick up for new users that might be more familiar with, say, Microsoft Word.
As an Atlassian product, you can expect a full set of tools for managing access to different pages and areas across your organisation, making it more appropriate for enterprises than more basic wiki software that doesn't always provide the same level of control.
Another advantage is the high level of integration. 'Macros' allow users to include a variety of rich content, and are customisable. Examples of integrations include JIRA, Trello, Microsoft Office, G Suite, and more. The 'Atlassian Marketplace' can be used to find and install more macros.

Cons

Although the editor is easier to use than the markdown used by a lot of other wiki software, it can occasionally be frustrating to work with. Not all macros and formatting settings behave exactly the same, so while you'd be able to fix these issues directly in markdown, you can end up trying out a bunch of different tools before you find the one you need to achieve your goal.
As with all collections of articles, organising pages can become difficult. The software itself provides basic tools that allow you to define a structure for your pages, and these work well, but it still requires considerable discipline as your use of the software scales up.

Panagiotis
  • Industry: Media Production

Great documentation platform for both intranets and customer-facing hubs

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

The experience I had the last 9-10 years that me and my colleagues worked with Confluence is excellent.

The document editor works smoothly even from the mobile app that is offered.

There are many article templates to choose from when you start creating an article, from decision making documents to marketing strategy forms and solution focused how-to pages.

Confluence supports a lot of media types in the pages, so it's easy to create helpful articles with video, audio, images and many more like attention panels, embedded spreadsheets, etc. You can even embed the contents of one section of a page to another page, so that if you change that it reflects the change in all the pages that the section was included. Which is great for customer support and of course technical documentation.

Did I mention that you can create as many different wikis as you like? Confluence calls those "spaces" and it's a great way to keep things separated. I use different wiki spaces for my employees handbook, customer support, app manuals, design documents per project, etc. The possibilities are endless and having them separately helps with security between different roles in the company and outside of it.

Pros

Confluence, especially the new cloud version, is one of the best tools to use for documenting your knowledge-base. The best parts for me are:

- The ability to connect my articles with to-do tasks from project management (Jira from Atlassian, same company, so they work like a charm together).
- The articles I can contain any media types, from spreadsheets that I can edit in-line to videos. There are also a lot of native panels to help anybody create very stylish articles with usability.
- In-line and footer comment sections help my team discuss and develop documents all together, without losing any of the discussion history.
- The ability to also keep an internal blog. I use that to inform my colleagues for the day-to-day developments, and keep everybody on track with high ideas and management efforts.
- All of the above can be also used as a customer-facing knowledge-base, to serve your customers with documents, operation manuals and help articles. Very handy if you use it together with the service desk solution from the same company, but can also be used stand-alone too.

In general it's one of the best choices that I made when I was searching for a documentation solution for my company and my clients, back in 2010. Almost a decade passed and Confluence is still growing better and better by the time. Atlassian the company behind Confluence is now huge and offers many solutions that integrate with Confluence, making it an even better choice if you use other tools from them.

Cons

I can't find any cons to Confluence. After all there is no perfect solution, only elegant ones depending on the problem one tries to solve.

Atlassian is offering a trial period so anybody can see if Confluence is good for their company's documentation needs.

From my experience, it would be bad to start a trial before you hove some really motivated people in your team and some content to put in there. Because it would be better to test Confluence with something that you would use in your company, so that you see first hand the pros and cons while your team works with Confluence with material that is close to the true material that you would put in there.

If I was to change one thing it would be the way it recognizes internally any of the pages I create, so that Confluence doesn't have any issues with pages with same titles. That would be a nice time saver and space saver in the outline of any wiki one creates.

Microsoft SharePoint, Google Docs and Dropbox Paper

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

I made the switch from Google Docs because I wanted a more robust solution that would support a more deep infrastructure and would be easy to manage and interconnect with other project management, software development and customer-facing solutions.

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Confluence is far more advanced and fits our business model as a documentation and knowledge-base solution. The price is right and Atlassian seems to continuously develop new features that help us create awesome online media-rich documents for us and our clients.
Giovanni

A wiki like software, Successful Tracking and Project Management

Reviewed on 13/09/2021

As mentioned in the title of my review, it's like a wiki version for the company's documents. I can easily find almost everything that I am looking for specially when tracking a document or checking for reference of hierarchy. It is the best solution for providing guide and solution documentation for my clients/customers.When I was still employed under an e-commerce company, we used confluence across most of our departments. It is very useful for finding information, reference for training because it serves as a knowledge base for our company's content. It can also be used as reference when checking metrics and product information within the company that is very important for the decision making of higher management.

Pros

-No need to use multiple MS software like Ms Project, excel or even Word for documentation. Now I'm using a single tool for my Checklist, Requirement list, action plans, help guides, and testing strategies.
-I like how it is integrated with JIRA which is also one of the main tools we use at work. All Jira dashboards are available within Confluence which allows documentation to be supported by task.
-There are ready templates for creating different types of documents. There is an option to create hierarchy for documentation and link them to each other to avoid duplication.

Cons

-Right now, exporting of documents is only limited to Word and PDF file types. It would be better if there were more options.
-Adding the option to customize forms would be a convenient feature. Instead of only having the pre-build forms.
-It is also better if there will be more complex support for searching algorithms for discovery when searching, not just by typing the exact keyword

• Industry: Information Services

Life saver for software projects

Reviewed on 01/04/2022

I have been using confluence every day for the last five years and I love how efficient and easy confluence is to use. It allows you to organize your pages into different spaces according to your needs and has an amazing set of tools for content editing. I remember before we used to store our data in JIRA cards or in MS word everything was just all over the place without any management. Now confluence is our one-stop solution for all our documentation needs. Using confluence we have all our content in one place and well organized

Pros

Confluence is the most useful documentation tool of all time. It allows you to have all your documents in one place and not only that but it organizes them so very well. The number of tools it provides for editing a document is just amazing, something that is missing in all other documentation tools. The customizable templates are very useful too. I love adding images and videos to my documents, arranging the texts in blocks or tables, highlighting the important notes, etc. Confluence lets me do all of this. I also like how it allows collaboration of multiple people and highlights the contributors.

Cons

I did not find any cons in the product itself but I would like to see better support service for confluence

Confluence For the (Easy) Win

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

Pros

Confluence has become the defacto wiki tool for most of the companies that I've worked with. The barrier to entry is super simple and VERY easy to setup (either Enterprise deployment or in the Cloud). Either way, most engineers I know these days are very familiar with Confluence.

There are also a ton of plugins and enhanced features that you can bolt onto Confluence which make it robust and scalable.

Cons

There are a few things I don't like about Confluence:

1. The search functionality is a bit... wonky (?) to use... they try to load predictive results, which don't open in a new page automatically, it takes too long to load sometimes and if you press 'enter' and don't wait for the predictive results to load it takes you to entirely new page where the results have to load again. Also if you try to search before the JS has fully loaded the search doesn't work, takes your focus away. This means I have to be very slow when using the search feature and it easily frustrates me.

2. They advertise all these awesome plugins and support widgets, which cost a ton of money, but they only apply at the space level, not an individual account level. I'd be more inclined to buy stuff if I could also apply it to my personal Confluence account and take it with me. There are features like enhanced project management, and task management, and charting, and RTF features that I want, but the last two organizations LOCK THIS DOWN and getting a plugin installed is like moving heaven and earth.

3. Im a web dev and an embedded systems engineer. I like to touch things. Confluence can be a bit locked down sometimes and regid in the HTML5 layouts and JS run on page. I wish I could be an 'advanced user' and just make the changes within page. But I cannot. Im stuck with the one size fits all.

All of that said, they are gripes of a dev, but otherwise the wiki space is pretty fantastic. I use it daily!

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

The price + feature set met the needs of everyone.
Pulkit

One stop tool for documenting almost anything

Reviewed on 30/06/2022

Overall, the feature is a good to have and can make life easy by providing a single stop platform for all the documentation and giving a knowledge hub.

Pros

Collaboration with numerous tools already in use by our company like Asana, Slack, Miro Board, Google Sheets, etc. ,
Ease of use and sharing documents just by a click, and
Permission handling of users.

Cons

Struggle to share snippets of code and adhering to syntax, and
not having a flowchart builder feature.

Notion

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

To incorporate a range of features that confluence offers and docs don't. Most important being integration with tools and Miro board.

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Confluence has better integrations with other softwares and is a dedicated platform for documentation. Also, we wanted to have a platform where a Knowledge Library can be created and managed easily which confluence gave us.
Denise
Denise

All-in-one collaboration platform

Reviewed on 17/07/2022

Aids in the development of specialized work areas, wherein employees may carry out their duties in a relaxed and conducive setting. Integrating with other Atlassian products, as well as third-party apps, makes the platform more robust. It's easy to implement, fits any budget, and can help any business expand its operations.

Pros

Atlassian Confluence is a platform for teamwork and information exchange that has helped our company greatly improve its operations. The platform is accessible to all users and features a straightforward interface, enabling our company to set up shared workspaces where employees can efficiently complete a wide range of assignments. It's steady, and it's facilitated the simple expansion of our holdings.

Cons

There was a difficult learning curve for some of our less tech-savvy consumers to become proficient on the site. Some users may find it inconvenient that customer service is only offered in English.

Mohamed Salah
  • Industry: Management Consulting

An In-Depth Review of Confluence

Reviewed on 17/01/2023

Overall, Confluence is an excellent collaboration platform. Its intuitive interface and powerful features make it easy to set up and use, and it's a great way for teams to store, share, and collaborate on documents, notes, tasks, and more.

Pros

Confluence is an incredibly powerful and flexible collaboration platform for teams. It enables teams to easily store, share, and collaborate on documents, notes, tasks, and more. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, making it simple for teams to get started quickly. It also has a wide range of powerful features, including powerful search capabilities, easy-to-use editing tools, and the ability to create custom workflows.

Cons

While Confluence is a powerful collaboration platform, it can be a bit overwhelming for users who aren't familiar with the platform. Additionally, the cost of using Confluence can be prohibitive for smaller teams.

Nanaka
Nanaka

Confluence emerges as a versatile collaboration tool with distinguishing features

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Structured content creation has transformed the way our team gathers and disseminates information. Our workflow has been unified due to the smooth integration with our existing products, which has increased efficiency and reduced the need for continual context switching. The adaptability of Confluence is extremely empowering.

Pros

Confluence is a dynamic collaboration tool that enables teams to easily create, share, and interact. Its capabilities for structured content development and integration improve productivity and knowledge sharing. While improving its learning curve and multimedia features would enhance the experience, Confluence's overall benefits make it a valuable asset for companies seeking to improve collaboration. For starters, its dynamic and structured approach to content production enables teams to develop, organize, and share material in real-time. This encourages knowledge sharing and speeds up project progress. Confluence's integration features help to streamline workflows by connecting with a wide range of applications, resulting in a more cohesive and efficient work environment.

Cons

The platform's sophistication may present a minor learning curve for novices, particularly those unfamiliar with collaborative software. Furthermore, while Confluence excels at text-based material, its multimedia embedding and formatting choices may be improved to provide a more aesthetically engaging experience.

Notion

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

The requirement for a complete collaboration platform motivated our decision to use Confluence. We previously relied on disparate documentation tools, which hampered effective communication and information retrieval. Confluence's organized content foundation made this process more accessible, and its interaction with the products we already use made the transfer smooth and productive.

Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Confluence was chosen because of its capacity to improve cooperation and knowledge exchange. We were able to develop extensive documentation and resources using the structured content strategy, which aided in the seamless execution of the project. Furthermore, the platform's integration features ensure that our work ecology remains coherent, avoiding data silos and increasing overall efficiency.

Confluence for Team collaboration

Reviewed on 15/10/2018

My overall business experience is great. Earlier team was sharing project content via emails that is a clumsy way to mamage and store the information, but as more and more people are using confluence it has become a repository and one stop shop to put knowledge at one palce which can be referred as and when needed. This is a great tool and a game changer for how we manage our collaboration within team for the project under Agile way

Pros

The best part about this software is the close integration with JIRA software. This is in real competition with Sharepoint as far as my understanding goes and I am an admin user for multiple scrum teams in my organization. Confluence in its own way is by far the easiest user-friendly software that I introduced in my team that was new to the agile world and now all our collaboration and communication on the process and tech document standpoint happens on Confluence.

The comment section and different macros that can be added for adding content on a page and tree structure for pages created give this tool the edge and flexibility for teams to create the format that best suits to specific scrum team needs

The technical document and usage of code snippet macro are very useful add-ons that have been given for formatting the content.

from the project management standpoint, the product backlog and release planning can be done simply by adding JIRA tickets and their specific status that automatically is being fetched by confluence every time page is opened.

The other most important feature is the ability to create JIRA tickets directly from the confluence page just select the text and then Confluence will give an option to create JIRA ticket and gets linked

The reporting macros for JIRA tickets is a good way to track progress of projects

Cons

At an enterprise level, there are few web designing that is required to be done so that content that is already there can be structured in a much more web design format like links to confluence pages to be embedded in an image. That option is available but to central Admin and not to the page admin that makes confluence little crunched to admin users within a project. But this negative point is a very small piece in comparison to positives with this application.

Helpful Tool

Reviewed on 02/01/2019

Overall I would recommend using Confluence, but would caution people on how they rollout the new platform to their company. Ensuring that the expectations are communicated clearly for how the platform will be used, by whom and the frequency, are very helpful things to communicate when preparing your team to switch.

Pros

The interactive features of Confluence serves as the best feature and function of this platform! Our organization is relatively small (20-30 employees) and is a Foundation that interacts with other nonprofits in the area. As a result we had many touch points in the community through various teams and often time what we were doing would get lost. In an effort to improve our internal communication our organization adopted Confluence as a means of servicing our company. We used the blog feature heavily which proved to be the best method of communication internally and cut down on the amount of emails adding to the clutter in our inboxes. It also allowed discussions to happen seamlessly and served as a point of reference for folks to easily access when needed.

Cons

It wasn't always very user friendly. Our organization consists of a variety of ages, so the way that people have engaged with technology is also varied. There are times that adding spaces or pages have proved to be a challenge for those who don't consider themselves as "technologically savvy". There was a bit of a learning curve for me in learning to how to use the software, but the customer support team was helpful in walking me through difficulties. The mobile function also wasn't the best depending on how users have different spaces setup.

Praveen
Praveen

I highly recommend this product for all corporate companies.

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

Overall I'm very happy with this product, without confluence it's impossible to maintain the knowledge article in our team.
It helps everyone across the team. Thanks to the confluence team for such a wonderful product.

Pros

It comes with rich features, below are a few features which I personally liked:

1. Documentation: When there are some important knowledge articles that need to be shared with the team, we use this tool. It comes with multiple options to make the page feels catchy and rich, it also allows us to attach the images.

2. Search Functionality: When there are 1000s of confluence pages, and if I want to access the page containing a specific word or a line, the search engine works like a champ it finds the pages almost immediately, this feature really helps me in easing my office work.

3. It displays the name of the person who had created the page and last modified person name, this helps to know whom to reach out to when we need additional info pertaining to the details as written on the page. And if required we can add the approvals, thus whenever someone edits the document without your consent changes won't reflect others until you approve the updates.

4. Like and Comments: Similar to social media, readers can either hit like if they like the content or they can mention their feedback in the comment section, this feature really helped me while suggesting something to the author or express my thanks via a LIKE.

Cons

There should've been an option to keep the page in draft before publishing it. But unfortunately, there is no such feature in confluence.
Apart from this, I didn't find any other flaws in the software.

Jatin
  • Industry: Information Services

Review about Confluence

Reviewed on 10/05/2023

Pros

Document managementCollaborationKnowledge managementIntegration with other tools

Cons

Complexity: Confluence is a powerful tool with many features and capabilities, which can make it somewhat complex to set up and use effectively. It may take some time for users to become familiar with all of its features.Cost: While Confluence offers a free version, its more advanced features are only available with paid subscriptions, which can be expensive for some organizations.Customization: While Confluence is highly configurable, making extensive customizations may require some technical knowledge or expertise.User interface - Little bit tricky

Laurence
Laurence
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Very efficient tool for team collaboration and having a centralized workspace.

Reviewed on 06/08/2023

Since the adoption of Confluence, our departments have communicated more efficiently, and file sharing and feedback have made project management easier. It is more helpful for me to open up the criteria and duties for each environment to simply perform and manage on a platform like Confluence with a lot of security. Whatever papers we want to share/create throughout the company, they will assist us, and if we want to share something outside of it, it has the option to export as PDF, so we don't have to allow third party access.

Pros

Atlassian has created a really well-designed solution that allows teams to share information in a single workspace. The user interface is simple to use not only for users but also for administrators; the program is simple to use and versatile for users. Templates allow you to write papers more faster, exchange comments, track progress, establish deadlines, and manage files smoothly. Confluence is highly beneficial for maintaining notes and modules for a very specific environment, and it is the most secure way to get the rights required to acquire that correct document, as well as the easiest way to manage the work accordingly and quickly share.

Cons

Confluence, in my opinion, needs a better way to search, and it has recently become a little slower for regular usage. When we try to move to other Confluence-like systems, it takes a long time to export our files, regardless of whether we use HTML/PDF or XML, thus if this improves, consumers will benefit greatly. Confluence may be sluggish and complicated when switching between pages and contexts; it would be preferable to have some type of option to make it easier to use and comprehend.

Anna
Anna
  • Industry: Legal Services

Awesome

Reviewed on 21/01/2016

Company: Midsize
Industry: Legal
Documentation is my bread & butter and I have never used a better...

Company: Midsize
Industry: Legal
Documentation is my bread & butter and I have never used a better solution than Confluence. I also use JIRA and JIRA Service Desk, which taken all together amount to a mostly-seamless solution for all of my documentation needs!

Pros

With Confluence we have an environment that is very efficient to work in to add new content, very easy to update articles and manage file attachments. The keyboard shortcuts are second to none. It is an absolute pleasure to work in Confluence all day. Setting up spaces for various audiences, including a "personal space" allows me to draft documents privately and then move the document over into a space with an audience. Effectively I can "publish" content to employees with a couple of mouse clicks.

Permissions are very well thought out. The permission scheme is based on spaces, individuals and groups, with flexibility from super-locked-down to wide open on the public internet. It allows control of various actions per person or per group, and affords us maximum utility of the product. People within the business are dreaming up different ways to use it faster than we can implement them.

As with any full-featured system that allows you total control as an administrator, successful use of the product requires that you lay out your business requirements clearly first so that there are no unexpected outcomes. Establishing best practices for content creators within the system is also advisable.

I have used other systems in the past, notably MediaWiki and SharePoint, and while I enjoyed them at the time, Confluence blows everything else out of the water. The control and flexibility is unparalleled and the product has obviously been designed for use in environments where project priorities, staff hierarchies, etc can experience rapid significant change.

I also highly recommend the Atlassian sister product JIRA and add-on JIRA Service Desk for task based work management. It is incredibly useful.

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility and great potential to make an absolute mess of things. Deployment of this tool to a large user base would require some serious preparation to establish access schemes, permissions for user groups, best practices for editing and creating new content, and organizing content within the spaces. End user training is critical to cement those rules and establish a culture around using it effectively. I would not recommend deploying this tool in a slapdash hurry (Although, given it's innate flexibility, it would be easier to correct it later with Confluence than some of its competitors!)