Lightspeed Retail

The point of sale you'll love to use.

4.0/5
4.1/5
4.2/5
4.1/5

Jessica

Best POS for small businesses

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

One major benefit is how easy my ordering is with their PO system.

Pros

I moved from Lightspeed to Clover and it's night and day. I had to piecemeal the Clover system on the back end to be useful and Lightspeed hands you so much. I've since added more and more of the Lightspeed system like loyalty because their tools are amazing. One of the best parts is their customer service. You get quick answers and they go above and beyond. Whether it's something as simple as why isn't my shipping working on ecom or how can I verify my website with the different social media platforms, their FAQs and customer service team never disappoint. If you are thinking about switching, do it. You won't regret it. It's made me more efficient all around. Thanks Lightspeed!

Cons

Lots of different options so it takes a bit to determine what you need to use.

Square Point of Sale, Shopify POS and Revel Systems

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

Clover wouldn't allow me to do a website. Lightspeed integrates inventory on the brick and mortar and ecommerce sides.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Best integration of inventory, ease of use, I liked all the different standard things the system had like inventory POs, employees, special orders, and more.
Brian

Great User friendly

Reviewed on 15/02/2022

Great easy to use manage and maintain. Works on almost any tablet phone or cpu.

Pros

Love its ease of use. Cloud based makes taking it on the road to do mobile events a breeze for payment processing and inventory management.

Cons

Could have used a little more help importing our inventory but after I figured it out it was easy to do.

Gus

Best POS in The Business

Reviewed on 04/10/2022

Great Investment !

Pros

Simplicity and very user friendly! Best product for 1 store or mulit store operation!

Cons

No Comment. Its the best! I would recommend to anyone in Retail business!

• Industry: Tobacco

Do not use Lightspeed for easy use

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

I really dislike Lightspeed, but most other companies do not want to take on the risk of CBD, so Im stuck with Lightspeed

Pros

nothing at all, i do not like this software

Cons

Loyalty program, discounts are hard long and aggravating to set up, customer service takes a long time to respond,

Square Point of Sale and Cloverleaf

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

I wanted a more user friendly POS, smaller, more easily accessible

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Because the other ones would not take CBD sales

Response from Lightspeed

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease. We are sorry to hear you were less than satisfied.

As we are unable to identify your account within our records, please feel free to contact our Customer Success team should you wish to provide further feedback. You may reach us at NoAM Toll-Free: +1 844 365-2868.

Nerissa

Great for Retail

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

Pros

We have been using Lightspeed for our retail firearm business and this has been very helpful for us in monitoring our sales and inventory. This is great for small businesses like us and priced reasonably.

Cons

None that i can think of. Lightspeed has been great for our business.

Square Point of Sale

Better in inventory management, control and audit for Lightspeed

Square Point of Sale

Better in inventory management, control and audit for Lightspeed
Dustin

lightspeed payment processing

Reviewed on 06/10/2022

Pros

Inventory and ecommerce are great but not worth the payment processing problems

Cons

The payment processing has gone down for 30 minutes to two days about 7 times in a year and a half. This is not acceptable in brick and mortar. While the retail R system is good for ecommerce and inventory management, the payment processing is not even close to the square experience. I use square at a separate location and payment processing has gone down one time in the same timeframe. Also square processes payments about 3 times faster than the archaic verifone provided by lightspeed.

Square Payments

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Dustin,

We would like to sincerely apologize for your recent experience with Lightspeed. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease. We value our customers feedback, and would like to learn more about your specific experience, to have the opportunity to address your needs and concerns.

As we are unable to identify your account within our records, please feel free to contact our Customer Success team should you wish to provide further feedback. You may reach us Toll-Free at: 1-844-365-2868

Ron

Lightspeed Retail. Easy to use

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Overall, operating Lightspeed in multiple locations has made processing retail transactions and managing those transactions easy. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

Super easy to use and teach to new team members. Lots of features, including easy, returns, and refunds.

Cons

We have had some slower customer support especially during busy retail times.

Arjun

Not what you expect

Reviewed on 06/10/2022

Horrible.

The support team is fantastic, but they can’t permanently solve issues, just bandaids.

Pros

I liked the design of the software and support was very helpful in temporarily solving issues.

Cons

The software. Inventory management tools were non existent. No permanent fixes for the software crashing every day.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Arjun,

Thank you for your recent feedback, we are sorry to hear you were less than satisfied with the product. We would like to learn more about your specific experience, to have the opportunity to address your needs and concerns.

As we are unable to identify your account within our records, please feel free to contact our Customer Success Team should you wish to provide further feedback. You may reach us Toll-Free at: 1-844-365-2868

Mark

Good Shopify Alternative, with a sidemark

Reviewed on 30/10/2022

Pros

Clean and clear to navigate interface for the eCommerce part, fast

Cons

The customer support wasn't always that fast and/or good, so that would be a consideration, especially when you are dependant on them a lot.

Christine
  • Industry: Accounting

Lightspeed Review

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

Overall it is very easy to use and understand. You can manage inventory and run reports easily. I feel this is very handy for the retail sector.

Pros

I really love the reports that are available. i can pull all the information i need such as inventory, costs of goods sold, sales tax, etc. It is very useful for handling sales tax for product and services.

Cons

I wish there were additional resources such as in-depth videos helping new business owners understand the system and implement it properly with their business. A customized setup would be very nice because everyone's needs are a little different.

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Fantastic product for any retail business. Excellent value.

Reviewed on 06/06/2022

Overall, I think Lightspeed Retail is an excellent product and very simple for most any retail operation. I highly recommend it to colleagues for their POS/Inventory/eCom solutions.

Pros

Creating items and managing retail is very easy through Lightspeed Retail. The reporting features allow you to make great decisions for your business based on accurate data. Anytime I need help with something or am unsure as to how to do something regarding any feature of Lightspeed Retail, support is only a click away through the helpful chat feature. They are almost always immediate to respond and always kind and patient with any question.

Cons

Understanding how retail communicates with eCom is a little intimidating at first and simply took a minute to wrap my head around how it links together. Discounting could be a little more straight forward too but overall ok.

GolfNow

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

There was nothing straight forward or easy about Club Prophet and their retail system. Everything was antiquated and reporting was challenging.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Lightspeed offered everything we need as a whole for our golf operation including tee sheet management, retail, website, marketing, and more.
Daniel

Easy Switch to Lightspeed Retail

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

Overall it has been an easy switch and easy to use software.

Pros

The fully integrated credit card payments has been wonderful, not having to use two separate systems to complete the sale has been great. Also the integrated inventory between retail and ecom has been great. Sell it in one place and inventory get adjusted across all platforms. Also the ability to use multiple registers at once and complete payments at the same time has been a life saver.

Cons

The additional cost for some of the features in the ecom, such as different layouts for the website that would incorporate things such as reviews on other websites. The limited analytical information you have at your disposal without having to pay for lightspeed analytics.

MicroBiz Cloud POS

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

Lack of options, no website integration. Multiple registers and credit card terminals.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Features that were part of the standard cost. No crazy one time fees to import inventory, customers, and vendors. Built in website designer and integrated inventory and payments.
Ronald
  • Industry: Maritime

Have been using CDK for many years for Maintience & Repair set opp DMS system.

Reviewed on 08/03/2021

Over all, I have always liked to way the system has operated, The functions and the data inputting controls are easier than most other DMS systems that i have tried.

Pros

I have always like the way the system is produced from the Service personnel's prospective & The way CDK tries to customize the product for each of the specific user's or Locations.

Cons

I think this system could be improved by having the ability to communicate with & Be programed with available patches to adapt the system to communicate and share info with all other outside vendor's and the coinciding systems that they use.
Every company will have separate systems all that are needed for what type of Service it provides. - IE.
*( Scheduling a Boat's launch for Valet Service or for Spring launch of boats for pickups ect. )
*( A customer Text communications program for Receiving, Sending or Monitoring text conversations ect.)
Each will always require some type of outside applications like those for that specific company to operate and function more efficiently over what is offered in any DMS System. I believe this to be true for all software DMS company's on the market & this is including light speed EVO.
Is it impossible to Make an Automotive or Marine type DMS system that all Info could be shared across to and back from any of The other software system types that are used externally?
I believe that would be a great benefit for any and all company's that need a DMS Fixed operations type Repair or Maintience operating systems.

Todd
  • Industry: Furniture

Good Product

Reviewed on 19/02/2021

The overall experience has been excellent. I am most impressed with the support I have received from Lightspeed. Phone in wait times have been very reasonable at this point. When I have spoken to a tech they have been excellent in understanding my question and providing a solution.... at times working outside the box to create the best result with the conditions present.

Pros

The start up process was easy to follow along. Great tutorial videos and resources to answer the basic questions. Was easy to set up the codes, pricing and inventory organization.

Cons

There was some frustration using matrix's and understanding assemblies. Each business is different obviously... the use of matrix was great at the start but becomes limiting later on for integration to the webstore. Assemblies are cumbersome for automatic ordering.

Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS

Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

The free trial helped me make up my mind. I had two colleagues using Lightspeed and in speaking to them both are very happy with the product.
Chrysie
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Think beyond initial implementation

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

We are aware that every system has something to complain about. Overall we are happy with performance and support from LightSpeed. It's reliable and with the small amount of problems we have we are pleased.

Pros

It's a relatively easy system to navigate. Permission settings are acceptable. Reporting is decent but all very basic unless you purchase Analytics. We use the software for multiple locations but keep separate inventories at each location. We can easily see inventory at other locations, transfer inventory from store to store effortlessly. Creating inventory items is easy as well as setting up pricing rules. Able to customize receipts, labels, and transfer paperwork with some HTML knowledge. Sales are smooth as well. Split payments are pretty easy and relatively intuitive.

Cons

No really good way to do rentals. We are a tennis shop and rent/demo racquets. We had to come up with our own solution.

B2C eCom is great - and can use the existing inventory; we have it set up as a separate location so we can see all inventory across eCom and retail - until you want to add B2B. It's difficult and expensive to add B2B and have it work the same as eCom. We learned, much later, that we need to have a separate website, a separate database of inventory and we would not have visibility into this inventory from our retail or eCom side. Huge disappointment. The eCom module is not native to LS. They purchased the product and have integrated it into LS - so their APIs won't even allow you to have that visibility.

Support is good for the most part. Simple things, but, holy smokes the printing!!! First, you have to use Firefox to get the printing to work at all. But Firefox constantly loses the printer default settings. So swithching printers throughout the day between labels, transfers, receipts...causes Firefox to throw up allover the printer settings. This happens daily, sometimes several times during the day. It's ridiculous. Support doesn't give a good answer - they tell us to follow the documentation. But that doesn't fix anything. Many times during the day we have to go back into the Firefox configuration and reset the default printer. Painful.

LEANNA

Great Product with Great Customer Service

Reviewed on 19/01/2021

Lightspeed is very responsive, not just in sales but in the IT service. They are quick to respond and have always worked patiently with us to resolve any problems, which usually are down to user error. I believe the cost/benefit ratio is optimal and have no plans to seek another POS/ECommerce at this time.

Pros

I really appreciate the seamless integration between the POS and the eCommerce. I also really like that this is all web-based, so that a computer can be used for the interface rather than a cash register that will only serve one function. When there is a problem, Lightspeed is usually ahead of me in giving notice that there is one and gives the approximate timing for the fix. Also, if you have both components and the payment processor is down (like at Christmas), you can easily set up the purchase online and your customer can process their goods and walk out of the shop a happy customer.

Cons

It feels like the frameworks for the eCommerce should be a little easier to use, but I've had much less robust platforms. Also, I'm still trying to find a better solution for shipping for the kind of shop that I have, but don't actually blame Lightspeed. It would be great if there were a more integrated and less expensive phone app add-on for shopping.

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

I didn't like the platform. It wasn't made for a business like mine.

Shopify

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

I needed a robust POS that made it easy to retail the handmade products that we craft in our shop. We often have multiple versions of the same product in regard to scent and quantity. Also, the ability to monitor the inventory for both the brick-and-mortar and the eCommerce portions of our business is invaluable. I have stayed with them, because they didn't stop with their superior customer service after the contracts were signed. It also seems like a system that will grow with us. I chose them, when I was taking my business from a kitchen "cottage" style business to a full time shop with eCommerce. I don't regret it.
Steve

A great all-inclusive system

Reviewed on 20/01/2021

Our industry was using a server-based software which was cumbersome and VERY outdated. Switching to Lightspeed has allowed me to more easily fulfil online orders, process transactions remotely, and communicate with our customer base more effectively.

Pros

Integration across POS, eCommerce, Accounting, Data Analytics is excellent. We have been able to increase both sales and efficiency with this system. The accounting feature and its daily export to QuickBooks allows me to spend only a few minutes each day keeping books up to date. It certainly makes year-end a breeze. Lightspeed Analytics is an invaluable resource for forecasting and identifying areas of opportunity. Customer support is available 24/7 and if they aren't able to answer my question immediately, I have received a timely follow-up within a day or two.

Cons

There are some work-arounds that I have implemented. It would be nice to have the option for recurring billing and serial number tracking (not just adding a serial number to an item) as well as a better protocol for backordered items on Purchase Orders.

Rain POS

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

Easy choice. Transitioning from a local server based software to a cloud based system was the first priority. After seeing what else Lightspeed had to offer, I immediately made the change.

AIM

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

When I was ready to purchase Rain, the sales team kept putting me off time and time again. If that was indicative of their customer service, I knew it wouldn't be the right fit for me.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The Point of Sale solution

Reviewed on 07/01/2021

Overall, the software does a great job in helping Accountants, managers and front liners in the Retail industry. What's great is that it integrates with ECommerce to be more efficient in selling your products out there, not just from the brick and mortar setup, but in the online as well.

Pros

I tinkered with this software and got ot know this from the inside and out. I like the functionalities as it allows you to break free from the spreadsheet and manual entry. Gone are the days of tallying and doing adjustments on a piece of paper. It has filter functions for reporting, it auto calculates taxes by assigning it in the initial setup, browser printing integration, you can conveniently import inventory from a csv file to your POS system and export those reports in a csv format. The hardware associated to it works seamlessly like the tablets, scanners, and printers. Although , it endorses Apple products, it works perfectly fine with Windows operating systems. It also has a companion product which is called Lightspeed Accounting that is comparable to Quickbooks

Cons

A few bugs are slowly being fixed as each maintenance and update is released, just like any other software. Although workarounds can be done to remedy it, but you'd have to seek assistance from Tech Support.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

We were after functionalities that Lightspeed can provide. Although both of them are similar, the interface is more user-friendly compared to Quickbooks. And that is important for us, since learning a new tool can be taxing with the time you need to spend navigating and learning it from the inside and out.

A great system overall

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

Pros

The ease of use for my staff is great. We also love the ability to add purchase orders and receive them with ease. Our old system did not have this. I also like that it has great inventory management. We just did a recent inventory count and that went so much easier than in years past. Also, the reporting is overall very good. It gives you a good insight into your data.

Cons

The Ecom side could use a lot of work. I would love to see a better way to do discounts and markdowns. The way it is set up now is very complicated and makes it a lot harder for us retailers to use. For the retail side, I would love to see a green light button on both the email receipt and email purchase order side. Sometimes I click send email but I can't remember if I actually hit send. A Green/red light would be helpful. Lastly, I would love to see a feature that incorporates a discount on items when receiving a purchase order. Currently, there is a box to input the % discount of $ off but it does not get incorporated into the product cost.

Shopify POS, Vend and Heartland Retail

Shopify POS, Vend and Heartland Retail
Andrew
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Packs some punch among the punchless

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

We are a 40 year Brick and Mortar AND E-commerce company that carries 1000s of unique skus. Needing a software that is heavier than just the POS is essential. Inventory management and the ability to integrate with E-commerce was a non-negotiable for my next POS.
Lightspeed does have some frequent, mostly minor bugs, it is nice that they constantly update and enhance their program. There often seems to be a disconnect between software designers and the retail experience, but this program bridges the data management needed to go with the point of sale functionality.
Product management has been efficient. Customer service has been very helpful via telephone or chat and are always available which is nice. Even better, the amounts of time to need to contact customer service is minimal. After one year of use, I can say I use this program with confidence and I believe it packs the punch needed to handle scale.

Pros

Customer Support is included and accessible
Intuitive
Useful for heavy amounts of inventory
Cloud Based
Accessible via multiple operating systems
Integrated with Cayan for seamless transition from my previous POS
Has extensions that enable enhanced reporting, loyalty and ecommerce integration
Updates are included

Cons

Frequently Buggy
UX issues at times
E-commerce integration is through third party
Advanced Reporting is an additional cost and is still poorly designed and buggy
Long waits for Customer Support
Widespread Outages do Occur

Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

We found limitations in integrations with e-commerce as well as difficulty with the licensing for Retail Pro. Not being cloud computing was very limiting, customer service being an additional fee was frustrating and that same customer service torpedoing our system and the backup was the death knell

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Most cloud POS seemed geared for start up or micro retail. Lightspeed had the best blend of power needed to handle a sizable company as well as the agility to be cloud based and utilize mobile platforms. The ability to have an integration with Shopify as well as the integrated customer support was the perfect nudge to migrate to Lightspeed
Justin

Best decision we ever made

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

The experience has been fantastic. The support staff and sales team have been great. The ease of use is something very special compared to their competition. It has allowed our business to prosper in these uncertain times.

Pros

Being able to always be connected to our point of sale via my phone or computer, no matter where I am has been crucial. With Lightspeed being cloud based, I can work from anywhere I want. I am able to ring up customers on my phone if needed, create purchase orders from trade shows, and stay connected to customers at all times.

Cons

There aren't any real issues that we have had with Lightspeed. They are continuing to improve the workflow with Lightspeed eCom which will only make the overall package even better.

Square Point of Sale and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

We needed something easy to use, something cloud based, and the ability to completely integrate with our website. Lightspeed made this possible for us overnight.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Shopify seems to be build for a website instead of a retail brick and mortar shop with a website. Lightspeed is perfect for a retailer who wants to take their business online and grow.
Carol

Why I Chose Lightspeed

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

I especially love the 24 hour help desk.

Pros

Customer service is available 24 hours. During the pandemic obviously the wait time for help took longer but most of the time it was efficient and easy to implement. I am a technological dinosaur and the learning curve was an uphill battle but customer service always came through for me.
So happy that the payment options finally were added.

Cons

It has taken me longer than I had expected to integrate my existing business with Lightspeed but that could be because of the pandemic and the wait time involved to get help. I am having difficulties getting my website finished so I can integrate with e-commerce.
I wish the billing and administrative department was open on weekends.

Shopify POS

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

I didnt like dealing with all the apps in Shopify

Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

I felt that Lightspeed was a complete package that looked professional and was relatively easy to use once the basic principles were in place. The move into e-commerce would be smooth.
Michael

Great system for all small businesses

Reviewed on 28/11/2020

Excellent experience with Lightspeed, I would recommend this platform to any small or medium sized business.

Pros

Lightspeed is very user friendly and easy to teach employees how to use it. The reporting is top-notch and they even can help you create custom reports which was very important to us. Customer service is excellent and always very responsive.

Cons

It would be great if it came with a built in CRM or integrated with one like Salesforce. It's great for franchisees, as a small business, but for the franchisor it may not have all the functionality needed to roll it out to the entire corporate system.

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

Opsuite is not very user friendly, reporting was very lacking and clunky, and for what you get it's very expensive.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Had all the features we needed at a great value.
Ian
  • Industry: Restaurants

Lightspeed ROCKS!!!

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

AMAZING

Pros

We operate 4 Cannonball Cafés in Jamaica. This is our second year of using Lightspeed. When we bought the business in 2016, we installed another company's system which, after a few months use, revealed it's weakness for use in a multi-unit business.

We plodded along for awhile under the "Better to stay with the Devil you know..." philosophy until a sharp eyed customer got very upset because she noticed the price of one of our specialty coffees at one location was vastly different from another location... we had made a late night keystroke mistake entering the updated prices!

What caught our eye with Lightspeed was the powerful Back-of-House infrastructure that allows us to make REMOTE CHANGES to our menus, our controls etc IN AN INSTANT on our phones, tablets or computers: last year on a trip to China, we got a text from one of our managers requesting a menu addition - somewhere over the Pacific at 40,000 feet, my wife added the item and went back to sleep!!!! The level of detail that supports our business goes far beyond what we could imagine - while a lot of detail & thought has to go into setting up Lightspeed initially, that effort pays dividends when using the system.

Finally, the support we get from the Technical Support team is amazing - the Techs are all very well trained, are extremely knowledgeable and can resolve problems that are outside their Lightspeed purview: in September, a store was having a weird connectivity problem that was traced by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in Te

Cons

Have not found anything to dislike about it.

Donna
  • Industry: Hospitality

Easy to build, train and implement

Reviewed on 28/10/2020

I worked with other POS systems in the past and find Lightspeed much more user friendly than the others. You can build your menu in literally a few hours and the flexibility is amazing! I have not come across a single scenario in the build that isn't already addressed within the system. And the video tutorials are well done, explaining processes step by step,
The technical support team are quick to respond and follow through issues to resolution. I recommended Lightspeed to two colleagues already and will continue to share my positive experiences with others.

Pros

*Ability to build system at any location
*Ease of use
*Well produced self help videos
*Ability to delete mistakes
*Helpful technical support team
*Integration with Cloudbeds

Cons

The end of day closing process is not as clear as it could be

Revel Systems

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

The switch was not within this company, but in my recommendation to use Lightspeed over Revel. Overall easier to build and train others to allow turnkey management of the system once built. I consult with businesses here to build their POS systems and recommend LS every time

Revel Systems