Datadog Reviews

Datadog

Cloud-Scale Monitoring Platform For Dev, Sec, and Ops teams.

4.1/5
4.5/5
4.2/5
4.2/5

Mauricio

Great platform for logs analysis and cloud monitoring

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Choosing to use Datadog made my work so much easier to accomplish. The logs analysis is one of the best thing that I can have in order to monitor my projects performance and health. This tool performs well and it is really useful. Real time logging works well. Definitely a must have.

Pros

I think that the best features that Datadog has is that you can track and follow logs in real time, something really important to have if your project is live. I like the idea of creating custom views of sets of logs (with custom filters, data parsing and a lot more) and that you can share them with your team.

Cons

It is a bit complicated to set for the first time. Is not quite easy to use or know at first about all the available features that Datadog has. Interface is tricky and can be a blocker sometimes. Following that, if your fields are not mapped in the right way, filters are not that useful.

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Analytics tool which helps customers and users always get the product you want them to get

Reviewed on 13/08/2019

Overall, having Datadog monitor our apps' performance and customers/users' pain points is invaluable. It's an amazing tool which lets us identify bottlenecks and better serve our users. Although the initial learning curve of utilizing Datadog's plethora of data analytics tools is steep, it's well worth the effort and price as there is much value to the metrics Datadog provides.

Pros

Datadog is probably one of the most notable analytics tool out there for large companies. It's easy to track users' flow in terms of what routes they're hitting, when they hit a snag and 404, or other metrics like how performant certain requests are which allows us to identify bottlenecks and get rid of them immediately.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve I will say with this software and needs an expert to help lead tutorials or sessions to get the ball rolling with new tool users. Although there are many built in functionalities and easily customizable features, it can be overwhelming and hard to pinpoint exactly what type of analytics you're looking for. It's one of those softwares where you have to play around with it to get the stars to align and find a model or metric that works best for your customers and use cases.

Google Analytics 360

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Datadog seemed to be more data intensive and specifically geared towards products like ours which really relied on app throughput, performance, and availability. Getting our product straight to the user, in a quick and efficient manner, is our priority and Datadog helps clear any blockers or issues that gets in the way of that.
Dmitry

It looks very sleek but default integrations won't show you much, so a lot of customization...

Reviewed on 21/09/2017

It allowed us to jumpstart our monitoring.
But in the end we had to switch to a different SaaS...

It allowed us to jumpstart our monitoring.
But in the end we had to switch to a different SaaS provider, even though it costs little bit more, and it's not so well known and widely marketized.

Pros

I liked it very much. So nice to have that event stream and subscriptions. And it's very easy to share your findings with colleagues.

Cons

Default setup is just empty.
These plugins they list as available will give you only so very basic info, that it's totally worthless.
We had to write our own plugins for each and every service and part of our system.
And the support team ignored my questions regarding future improvements in Kubernetes plugin.

ryan
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Datadog review

Reviewed on 28/08/2023

Overall very positive. It's a great space for SEOs and Engineers to share when trying to tackle things like Core Web Vitals

Pros

I like the ease of tracking our RUM and Core Web Vitals in the report view Datadog have put together by default

Cons

Hard to make out the data when looking at heatmaps - although we don't use it much because the sessions recorded are so low compared to the traffic we get it makes the data invalid

Ankush

Datadog Review

Reviewed on 02/10/2019

Overall it's great monitoring/visualizing tool for any organization and I'd recommend, it would have been great if it had great learning resources to explore it more.

Pros

- The filter functionality is great which lets you filter out errors for quick analysis, can easily create custom dashboards.
- Great Visualizations, easy to set up dashboards/monitors with options do maths like ratios, rates, average, interval.
- It can be easily integrated with other apps like Slack to set alerts for failed jobs.

Cons

- A slow learning curve, lack of resources on how to get useful functionality from UI or APIs.
- UI sometimes be bit slower although not bad if you've integrated with multiple external apps.

Matthew
  • Industry: Consumer Services

DataDog is key component of our engineering stack!

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Initially we had purchased DataDog to get some basic observability and to lift our logs into a central location. Quickly we began leveraging there additional features to gain deeper insights, better monitoring, and to speed up troubleshooting. DataDog is now a cornerstone of our software stack and everyone from engineers up and into DevOps/SREs use this on a day-to-day basis.

Pros

The software can scale with the business needs. You can start with basic features or leverage many as you like (for $$) to gain deeper insights. Engineers once onboarded use it heavily to spot issues or troubleshoot more obscure bugs both in production and development.

Cons

You often need to review usage and costs. Misconfigurations, migration projects (where legacy + new infrastructures are required), integrations which may cause double reporting need to be observed to prevent run-away spend.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

We chose DataDog due to extensive feature set and existing product knowledge within the engineering team.
Chris

Datadog is great but expensive

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Please reduce the price gap between committed vs on-demand usage, or come up with some other ways to address it. Our on-demand cost varies so much and I get asked by finance way too often.

Pros

-Best user experience-Unified view of all metrics. It is a lifesaver when troubleshooting performance issues-A broad range of product offerings

Cons

-Expensive!-The pricing model isn't as flexible as it should be. You can only adjust your yearly contract 3 times per year.-Expect to spend more time managing costs than you would like.

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

The old New Relic was very slow, and the user experience was horrible. I heard that New Relic one is better.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

I used Datadog at a couple of companies in the past, and I always had a great experience with it.
Jeff
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Datadog is awesome!

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Been great. I wish we could onboard across all Yahoo, but the cost is too high for all engineering to benefit.

Pros

Datadog is intuitive, easy to configure, and easy to use.

Cons

The cost for Datadog is too expensive.

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Couldn't handle scale or cloud applications.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

We needed something immediately to get off our homegrown solution. We are still doing pocs with other vendors (Splunk, dynatrace) due to cost.
ryan

DataDog, good for modern apps

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

Pros

It is easy to provision and integrates into modern applications

Cons

For basic monitoring of our legacy solutions, the software is to expensive

LogicMonitor

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Looking for a way to monitor our modern software stack.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Initial pricing, and google integration.
Satbyul

Clear graphs and easy to set up

Reviewed on 28/03/2020

Used the open URL to add dashboard to a large monitor on our workspace to easily spot spikes.

Pros

Really simple set up to monitor our full stack environment. Dashboard is very clear and suitable for both technical and non-technical stakeholders.

Cons

Nothing really. Migrating to any product can be challenging but setup was pretty simple and no key functionality absent.

Gaspar
  • Industry: Media Production

Excellent product

We're monitoring our complete stack, migrating from Heroku to AWS

We're monitoring our complete stack, migrating from Heroku to AWS

Pros

Ease of use and integrations. Log management is outstanding, as well as Kubernetes integration

Cons

Lack of a simple Prometheus integration. Agent configuration docs (for specifics) is sometimes hard to find

Krista

Synthetic Testing Rocks!

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Pros

As a non-technical QA person, I needed a tool to help automate tests without a lot of the technical aspects. Datadog allows me to build and schedule tests by clicking through the online version of our tool, making it incredibly simple. It also records what's wrong and allows me to edit the paths at any time if we ever make changes.

Cons

I wish I was able to use this same functionality for our mobile app or even for processes like account creation. Since we push our sign up through a payment portal we're unable to use Datadog in the same was there.

Aviram

Monitoring our micro services app with datadog

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Use it every day, easy to implement

Use it every day, easy to implement

Pros

All in one shop. APM, DB monitoring , synthetic transaction and log analysis

Cons

APM does not work well on nodejs asyc services. Might be hard to track transactions.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

we used new relic in the past 10 years in a former company. We wanted to try someting new and a lower cost
Henry

New Aged way of Monitoring

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Overall experience has been great overall as our account managers will always do their best to try to meet our requirements and needs. They have done a good job at planning out all meetings with senior engineers when required.

Pros

I truly enjoy the integrations that datadog provides. It allows us to view more metrics that are more of a deep dive into specific applications. These metrics help us understand what is widely monitored in the industry that we did not think about monitoring ourself.
Another key item is that datadog comes out of the box systematic checks that we normally had to add in manually for a newly onboarded host.

Cons

The item I dislike least is that when you decommission a host the application requires up to 24 hours for that host to officially disappear from the list rather than being removed immediately.

Shagun
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

"Data-driven insights for smarter decision-making."

Reviewed on 17/12/2022

I've been using DataDog for a few months now and I'm really happy with it. It's a great monitoring and analytics platform for applications and infrastructure. It's easy to set up and configure, it's reliable, and it provides a lot of useful information to help me troubleshoot and monitor my applications. The dashboards and graphs are easy to understand and are great for getting an overview of how things are performing. The alerting and notifications are very useful, and I'm able to quickly identify and address any issues. Overall, I'm very satisfied with DataDog and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable and comprehensive monitoring and analytics platform.

Pros

Datadog provides real-time insights into the performance of applications, servers, and services. It helps you quickly identify and troubleshoot issues before they become critical.Datadog is easy to set up and use. It requires minimal configuration and supports various cloud services and integrations, It provides a comprehensive monitoring system for both on-premises and cloud-based applications.

Cons

Limited Customization Options: While Datadog provides a lot of pre-built dashboards and visualizations, it does not support extensive customizations.Datadog is a high-end monitoring platform, and its pricing reflects that. It can be expensive for small businesses, especially those who don’t have a large budget for monitoring software.

Isaac

Best in class APM that can meet all APM, Monitoring, and Logging needs

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

I love it - i use it for work, I use it for home. I find it amazing for finding problems and monitoring systems.

Pros

I can handle ALL things in Datadog. I have an answer for CI / Pipelines, arbitrary metrics, trace data, logging and more.

Cons

There are a lot of specific costs. Compare, if you will, with NewRelic (all features are free) or Dynatrace (cost on retention and davis units). If you enable "all the things", it can be costly.

Dynatrace, Sumo Logic and New Relic

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Better and more reliable.

Better value, more performant
billl

datadog stuff

Reviewed on 11/01/2023

i have a great account team that really partner with me. the service is very useful and reliable

Pros

the ease of implimentation and the ability to capture meaningfully info easilyquickly

Cons

it's super expensive....almost cost prohibitive

Michael
  • Industry: Computer Games

Datadog is best in class

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Love it, could not imagine better.

Love it, could not imagine better.

Pros

Easy to use and gives us the data we need to understand what is happening in our applications.

Cons

It has taken us a while to implement. Ebs support is not as intuitive as others.

Splunk Enterprise and Observe
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Great service for monitoring

Reviewed on 30/01/2018

Pros

Datadog provides a way of having a lot of information about your systems, clusters and infrastructure in only one site, being able to analyze valuable data for your company. It is possible to create alarms and notifications when overpassing some threshold or value, for example, when a service is down in your systems of when the CPU gets a high percentage of usage.

It integrates pretty well with tons of services and systems, such as Amazon Web Services, Apache, Nginx, several databases, and a long etcetera. Also, it is possible to send notifications to apps like Slack or Hipchat.

Cons

Datadog is not very easy to use at the beginning and it needs a little bit of investigation but it is worth to learn it.

Kyle

DataDog is great!

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Pros

We now have billions of logs hitting Data Dog every month. It's a great tool for monitoring and debugging what is going on in the platform. We have alserts setup based on the logging so we are instantly notified of any issues.

Cons

Some of the JSON parsing on nested logs come out a little wonky. We overcame this by adding specific logs from our applications that we can search on.

Damian

DataDog is one of our must-haves

Reviewed on 06/06/2019

Pros

It's got everything that's needed for infrastructure and application monitoring and alerting. It also fits extremely well into our Infrastructure-as-Code paradigm where everything we set up is kept in a git repository as a Terraform project. DataDog is what we recommend and implement for our clients, and provides more useful features than Sensu.

Cons

Metrics and monitors don't render correctly on mobile phones. It's totally unusable in portrait mode, and barely usable in landscape mode.

Sensu
Joseph

Logs for the programmers and sysadmin

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Pros

Able to ingest system logs, app logs, and other logs along with process stats and system metrics to get a wholistic picture of how your servers and applications are running for your business.

Cons

Setup does take a while and there is several configuration files to adjust, but once this is done you will not need to touch them again for the lifecycle of the install.

Graylog
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great first step for data tracking and incedent monitoring.

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

Pros

I use this tool on a daily basis for handling errors both in our live environment and for testing. It allows me to see where an error may be coming from and follow it through to its source. I could not do my job effectively without datadog

Cons

The filtering of data is not as comprehensive as I would like. I sometimes need to search through the results to find what I need.
Displaying a record in the chronological order is not always perfect and I sometimes don't get the context I want.

Christina
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Datadog

Reviewed on 28/02/2023

Pros

A lot of fun for less money. Great software for monitoring kubernetes infrastructure. Very clear dashboards, monitoring is very intuitive, great to use. Setup is simple and installation of the agent on PC was seamless. Aggregate views into one clear dashboard and monitor all metrics at the same time according to various filters and parameters. Many additional features to enrich the data. User friendly.

Cons

In the time I have been using it I have not found anything that would not suit me with DataDog I have been very satisfied and it has met my expectations.

Agustin
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

A very complete tool for website monitoring

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

We use it to discover errors in our apps.And we are now testing the RUM service to find out how our customers experience our site.

Pros

We discover Datadog as a better alternative to NewRelic which was extremely expensive.We found that Datadog is a very powerful tool with tons of features and services. It provides very detailed performance insights such as speed, latency, uptime, potential threats, etc. We use it mainly for Application monitoring and Real User Monitoring, and we found out that it correlates events between different services which makes it very easy to pinpoint issues with our apps.

Cons

It was a little hard to installed all the integrations.And because of a lack of communication with our account managers we ended up paying much more than we thought when deciding to switch to Datadog.The integration with AWS resulted in all host from all environments to appear in Datadog, many of which we didn't need to, and that resulted in a very expensive bill for that specific month.