Slack

4.7 (21,119)
A single place for team communication and workflows

(21,119)
4.5/5
4.5/5
4.6/5
4.4/5

21119 Software options

Jon B.

Slack is essentially advanced texting for business users

Reviewed on 09/07/2020

I started using Slack because my client required it. I find that it cuts down on my email dependence but I'm often frustrated when attempting to compose a message without standard elements such as tables, inline images, etcetrera.

Pros

I like the ability to stay in touch with our users via whatever device I'm currently using. For example, I can respond from my home computer, tablet, work computer or via my phone.

I especially like the ability to be notified of a new message via my phone where I can read the message on the phone but can step over to my laptop to reply.

I also appreciate the ability to add an email thread to a Slack Channel by simply adding a slack email address (each channel has a unique email address) to the CC field when I reply.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the extremely limited amount of formatting available to Slack messages. I can make a font bold and add links to files/images but I really miss the rich text features many similar apps provide.

It's also frustrating to need to keep typing adding the user name(s) when I'm responding to a message. I'm assuming that this is by design but it would really be nice to be able to "Reply All" to a conversation thread.

The desktop Slack application (running on Windows 10 Pro) has a "clunky" feel to it. It's written with a framework that allows the Slack developers to write HTML and JavaScript code that is essentially compiled into a Windows application and it definitely shows. Something as simple as selecting text is counter-intuitive (until you realize that it's essentially a web page mascaraing as a Windows application.

Nick S.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great for College Ministry

Reviewed on 21/10/2021

Slack has been great. We will continue to use it as long as we can and are grateful to have made the switch from GroupMe.

Pros

I help lead a group of 100-200 college students around the Atlanta area. Slack has been so helpful in creating groups of communication. We can share files, polls, surveys, etc and our members can create their own fun groups too. It's been a great experience.

Cons

It's a little hard to figure out at first and inviting people into the slack can be a little more confusing than other platforms.

Magic tool for remote work communication

Reviewed on 18/10/2021

Love it-Hope to use slack regardless of where I end up throughout everyday life. May even use it for individual utilize and can undoubtedly make bunch visits with companions,

Pros

Slack makes informing proficient and puts together messages into various channels. It is extremely helpful to private message just as make gatherings. Moreover, records are saved and filed for simple access. I likewise enjoyed the usability and capacity to work together with anybody in your association.

My most loved uses out of the product

1.) Unlimited number of channels-Public/Private

2.) Ability to make shapes that get distributed to explicit channels

3.) Love utilizing the/remind piece so I can get pings about undertakings requiring finish or a straightforward subsequent update

4.) You can have some good times and tweak. For instance: We have a 'Jokes' channel that the leeway bot will make you wisecracks on the off chance that you ask 'bot make me a father quip'- It's astounding

Cons

Difficult to think of any as a client yet heres a shot:

1.) The limitless assortment of channels makes the high opportunities to get steady pings in case somebody @'s you in a channel.

2.) You get dependent and wind up using your organization correspondence application 'Slack' off hours and simply signing on as though it were a web-based media page.

I disdained the failure to make a public gathering "private" after it's creation. Would incidentally slack and my. messages would just come through on my telephone and not work area

Rocket.Chat

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack is really a brand and have some valuable feature for remote work.

Slack is complex, but the best option currently available

Reviewed on 28/08/2021

Overall I Slack is a good tool, but it can be so much better by making it more simple/friendly to use and by improving the tagging mechanism there.

Pros

I like the fact that it is an internal team communication tool where all discussions are labeled under one "channel".

Cons

The tagging/and notifications. We miss a lot of sent messages there for some reason and I blame the tagging/notification algorithm of the software.

Google Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Because we were looking for a more productive tool than emails.

Gmail

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We've been recommended to use Slack by many of our friends and eventually decided to stick to their recommendation.
Muhammad daud S.

The great team collaborative tool to manage and share

Reviewed on 24/08/2021

Slack is unique to provide bots, channels and options with commands. It gives the usability within our team to monitor logs and alerts which is our favourite aspect of this product. We also chat with team and arrange meetings including screen share which makes it easier for us to interact with the team on timely projects

Pros

Slacks work as a great tool for Developers and IT Team especially in an organization. With the built in tools and API's, we can enable our system and server alerts and logs to come through Slack notification. It makes life easier to browse through the Logs on slack and search rather than on the device itself. It has great usability with team collaboration, file sharing and meetings

Cons

Slack use lot of resources to run including RAM/CPU due to which it requires a good hardware to affectively work.

Ryan H.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

If I have Slack, I don't need an email

Reviewed on 03/08/2021

Overall, Slack has had a great impact on the productivity of my teams. I hold the position of office admin and I manage three teams of Graphic Designers, SEO, and Web-Developers. Everybody is connected through Slack. All the communication is done via Slack. We have stopped sending emails and shifted all the official and formal communication to Slack. It is easy and time-saving to get an acknowledgment of a new office policy and work on a number of other projects.

Pros

Let's get straight to what Slack is good for:

Team collaboration - check
Instant messaging - check
File-sharing - check
Audio/video call - check
Multiple channels - check

Slack is easy to install and work with. There's nothing complicated about it. It is an effective application for instant messaging. What I love most about the software is that it allows creating different channels for different teams. It works as separate virtual offices to manage work more efficiently. Isn't it cool? In Slack, you can let your team members know about your availability - turn on/offer your notifications and when you are bored, you can ask the chatbot to tell you a joke. It is pretty easy to send messages, share files, and integrate other applications such as Google Drive to import documents. Moreover, the Workflow builder and Analytics tools are my favorites.

Cons

I don't know if it is really a disadvantage but Slack is kind of addictive. It has so many options, a cool set of emojis, formatting tools, the bot, and an easy way of communication that it keeps me busy chatting all the time. Oh well, one more thing: in the free version, the old messages keep disappearing. It happened to me a couple of times that I had to check an old piece of information but it was removed automatically. So, be watchful if you're still on the free version and thinking to make a decision on purchase the premium plan.

Darien C.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

A great free product with a high cost of entry

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Slack is a great free platform for team collaboration and communication, that really helps simplify our communication process. While it has some issues, overall the free tier offers a great option for any team looking to improve their communications.

Pros

Slack creates a simple & powerful interface for inter-team communication, allowing for simplified communications that move beyond emails & facebook messages by creating a secure platform for teams.

Slacks best features are perhaps the ability to setup channels (which allows for very focussed spaces dealing with a particular topic), and the ability to reply to individual messages in a thread. Channels help keep my teams focussed and on topic, while also providing a space for random chatter (in our "Random" channel), while threads help keep channels from turning into a brutally long, confusing message thread. That paired with the ability to "react" to messages with emoji's, share individual messages with a specific individual, create private or public channels, and send group messages to team members, this platform helps create a simple space for teams to collaborate and communicate in a way that feels more natural than text threads, facebook messages, or emails.

Cons

Slack is a great platform, but can be a bit confusing to administrate on the back-end, or confusing to new users. Setting people up for success on Slack can take a bit of time; as there is a learning curve for tech illiterate people.

Perhaps the most difficult issue with Slack however is in managing team members who do not check Slack frequently. Simple notifications (via email, text etc) for @channel, @everyone or @specific_user would be beneficial, as it would help eliminate some of these issues. Supposedly, Slack offers email notifications, however in all my testing I've never been able to get it to work properly, and it is something that team members need to setup on their own - it is not something that can be set across the workspace & then opted out of by team members.

Luke A.

I sometimes wonder how collaboration worked before Slack

Reviewed on 13/11/2020

I find it hard to remember life before Slack. We all worked in a single open plan office but, like most offices, still communicated predominantly from our desks. Our go to IM tool was Skype and it was an easy way for conversations to get siloed. Slack brought those conversations out into the open, made them discoverable and brought in automations to make them richer. If you're debating whether to use Skype or Slack there really is no contest. I'd also suggest it outperforms Teams and other competing collaboration and instant messaging tools for it's deep integrations.

Pros

Real-time instant messaging, file sharing and integrations with key apps that automate important proceses mean a high percentage of tasks can be managed all in one place.

Cons

Threads are often difficult to keep track of. Slack has done its best to elevate Threads but I still find myself missing things when people don't @ mention me.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Skype made conversations difficult to discover and groups were transient forcing you to recreate those groups over and over again. It also had no integrations and automations of value to us.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Better integrations, better interface, more automations, better suited to a creative/tech environment
Jamie B.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Great for DevOps Teams, Project Teams, and School Users

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

I have used Slack as both a student and worker.

As a student, Slack was incredibly important for our classes to stay on top of assignments, changes, team work, and basic communication. The university's email server constantly had issues. Slacks mobile app, local device app, and availability via web made schoolwork and school projects so easy to stay on top of.

As a systems administrator, Slack's ease of use and functionality have proven invaluable. We utilize Slack for project management, systems reporting via API calls, scheduled messages, communication with our consultants on client sites that are within a secure VPN, as well as employee engagement.

While we used Slack as an employee engagement tool prior to the 2020 plague, it has become even more valuable with it's trivia, polls, and the number of channels we have created to help with the strain of not seeing another human being for months at a time in some cases. For instance, we use channels for word games, posting pics of pets, posting pics of office setups, etc. It has proven a life saver.

The only gripe I have about slack is the Security offerings being tide to pay structures. We used Google Suite and chose Slack based on their ability to use GoogleSSO. However, we were recently acquired and had to discontinue our use of Slack, which meant no more Google SSO. Our bill would have doubled in order to configure SSO or SAML Authentication. Unfortunately, due to this, we will be losing Slack next year.

Pros

-Ability to integrate chatbots with API calls for reporting
-Ability to collaborate with team members
-Ability to use from beginner level and on
-Ability to review old messages from departed users
-Great for students to collaborate and learn with
-Customer Service

Cons

-SSO is only offered at lower paying tiers and it has to be with Google
-SAML Auth/SSO using other vendors is only available with higher paying tiers

John S.

An industry leader for a reason

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

I love slack and it is always getting better. Finding my chats, creating channels, and adding integrations are easy. I can’t recommend it for business enough. It’s so fun that I am trying to find other uses for it just so I have an excuse to use it.

Pros

Slack has become the industry leader in workplace communication and for good reason. It makes for a flexible place to have contextual conversations and integrates Into your workflow by easily allowing tools to integrate Into the application. From shopping carts to service monitoring alerts to team polls, there are integrations for just about everything. These integrations also allow meaningful, yet simplified, interactions so I don’t always have to leave The context of my conversations.

Cons

The largest problem is cost as well as limits in how I can leverage Slack For both work and for non-work related communication. It wasn’t built for non-work communication so I can’t truly complain. But I would love to see some focused paradigms show up in the ecosystem to make it so I don’t have so many chat applications. One other issue is the confusing of finding and managing my custom web hooks. As often as I use it I always end up spending 5 minutes on the site trying to figure out what we hook integrations I have and where to reconfigure them.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

The live nature of chats and easy integration with other tools to leverage instant notifications.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

The industry adoption and wide selection of integrations.
Mimi M.

Best Team Communication Software Out There

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Very positive. Few complaints. A super fun, dynamic, effective platform for work, projects, etc. alike.

Pros

I don't think anything can compete with Slack. It's quick, efficient, fun to use, social, playful (GIF's! /giphy), unclogged and dynamic. The calling and group chat features have been especially handy lately with remote working. I also love that you can add such a diverse range of content (code, movies, images, gifs, lists, quizzes, link previews, etc.). The polls + GIF randomizers also keeps things 'fun' and light, useful for all types of people in all types of roles. The UX is very straightforward, the interface design is beautiful and FUN, which is important for a communication platform. People enjoy being on Slack. I don't mind opening it up - and that means a lot, considering it means I'm working. The search and archive functions are also great.

Cons

Don't have many complaints, honestly. I think it might be better if you had a way of storing 'updates' for projects, the way Basecamp does. Pinning messages, or files? To prioritize them, so they don't get lost in the conversation flow. Also could maybe benefit from a 'presentation mode' for Slack video, unless it exists already, to compete more with its competitors like Zoom? But overall, I have few/no complaints.

• Industry: Program Development

Best Communication Tool Ever.

Reviewed on 10/02/2020

We had a lot of issues with communication using some Google options, we had used "Chat" and Hangouts for work purposes but we don't get at all the product.

So we decided to switch all our operations to Slack and we are amazed!

We integrate all our DevOps tools to slack and we are very productive, we are using Slack with Gitlab and other tools and we are very happy with this product.

Pros

Best ChatOps tool, Good price, high-quality product, compatible with a lot of tools for integrations, good order, good for agile teams and DevOps culture teams.

Cons

The unique problem that I had using Slack was with the "community edition" because you can lose your messages, but you can solve it buying the paid edition for $8 per user, It is really a good price and the tool is excellent.

Google Meet, Google Chat and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

We decided to switch to Slack because we felt like Chat by Google doesn't feel like an agile or DevOps oriented product, with Slack we feel like a real DevOps team and we are doing integrations with other tools most of the days!

Google Chat

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Because of the integrations with other tools as Gitlab, Jira, and Clockify and because Slack is a DevOps oriented Chat tool.
Christopher H.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Communication Among Employees

Reviewed on 15/02/2020

My overall experience with the software is positive. It solves the problem of large scale communication done with members of a company from a single source. There are a few drawbacks but that could be due to the size of a company and the organization of the user with the software.

Pros

This software allows employers to communicate information to employees on a large scale. An employer can designate certain people as administrators. This gives them the ability to make threads that include certain people for a certain topic that needs to be discussed. Private messages can also be sent but note that the top administrator can still view these private messages between employees (so be cautious of what you're saying). Let's say that a business owner owns multiple businesses and wants to use this software to communicate with different employees. The business owner can set up specific threads for that certain business and still doesn't have to sign out of one account and sign into another.

Cons

One con that could possibly be a pro as well would be that people have to be invited and removed from discussions. This can make the employer selective of who is in certain discussions (threads). The con of this is that it can be easy to forget to remove a person from the discussion. Let's say that the employee doesn't work with the company anymore, they might accidentally be part of specific conversations. Another con would be that discussions have to be physically archived. This can be good for evidence of discussions but it leads to a long list of discussions and private communications. At least there is a search function that helps you find specific discussions but it can be confusing if you forget who was involved in certain discussions.

Nice messaging platform

Reviewed on 26/01/2020

Overall slack is a nice messaging platform and really helps the individuals while working in a project of multiple team members. It helps in sharing of text messages and files and also has calling features and major third party integrations which makes it a complete package.

Pros

I found slack a powerful tool to communicate with the other team members in real time. It has better voice quality on call, large size file sharing, one-to-one and group messaging.

It also allows to star the messages, which is really helpful to bookmark the important information from the chat.

The features such as wrapping the text in code snippet and selecting the file type (for example, html, java, js, etc.) is beneficial for developers.

It provides APIs to create custom applications and also has an app directory from where users can install out-of-the-box integrations for Github, google drive and other third parties.

Cons

There are few features which are missing, for example, whenever a user is removed from the workspace, no notification is being sent back to the user.

Also, the slackbot could be improved, most of the times, it just provides the search results from the slack help directory.

It is not easy to switch workspaces. One has to close the workspace completely and then switch back to the another workspace.

Neil O.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

It's anything but Slack

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

We started using Slack in order to not have to talk to each other... Actually to be fare, we're spread across 4 floors and multiple offices (sometimes people work from home) so Slack gives us a way to communicate across multiple channels looping in relevant people that need to be updated on specific projects. The ability to be able to quickly jump onto a call or post images and video easily greatly enhance communication. Slack is open on all our computers (Mac and PC) all day every day and is key to getting things done! And you don't have to 'talk' to Dave at his desk anymore so no 20 minute conversations on the virtues of staples over paperclips, WIN!

Pros

It's so easy to set up an account, add your teammates, create your channels and assign/amend and remove access for who can see what. Also found loads if integrations with other software packages useful. I didn't much like the browser version but the desktop and mobile apps work a treat. Being able to set 'out of office' or 'end of day' do-not-disturb times really helps you to not get woken up in the middle of the night by Dave who had a brainwave on how to better stack the free peanuts in the break-room (we all have a Dave).

Cons

I initially had a bit of a blond moment (is it politically correct to say that? Gulp) when I first started using the web version of the app. I didn't really like it and it took me a while to figure out that there was in fact a desktop and mobile version that were much nicer to use (as mentioned in the Pros section).

Ken S.
  • Industry: Design

Love/hate relationship with Slack

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

I use Slack across 7-9 workspaces, one for each client/collaborator/workgroup. It's effective for keeping up with lot of people at once and the fact that I can mute certain workspaces/channels makes it manageable.

Pros

Slack does a fine job of facilitating collaboration with co-workers, and does cut way down on the fragmented nature of workplace communications. The workspace -> channel structure does a good job of organizing communications, but messages and threads can become atomized very easily. Overall its the best tool I've used and is a vast improvement over the old ways. And the voice/video calling feature is perfectly integrated - can't wait for them to add transcription.

Cons

I don't think this is Slack's fault, but the volume of stuff flowing through Slack is hard to wrangle. If you have more than a few workspaces open with a few channels each, it is incredibly easy to lose track of a message, thread, or link. and if you're using the free version you can find a critical message or link disappears behind the 10K message limit very quickly. Again, if you're getting good value from a product then you should pay for it, so no complaints about pricing, except that it's hard ot know what paying to: a workplace, or your own access to everything?

Heidi G.

An extensive chatroom: ending useless email discussions

Reviewed on 04/12/2019

Overall, this is an easy and helpful chatroom for your work. It stops your emails from piling up, and you can ignore back-and-forth conversations with coworkers that would have clogged your email otherwise. It leaves room for both work and play related conversations, and the instant messaging feature is extremely helpful.
I can send links or attachments in the chat without trying to text from my phone or send an awkward,informal email. I can instantly communicate to my coworkers! And in a day and age of emoji's, I don't feel guilty about adding "haha" or "smiley emoji" in my Slack message. It all feels informal and quick, so why bother with the prestigious voice of an email?
Slack is fun for me, which is why I favor it over other communication styles. It also allows you to download an app where you can send messages via. your phone. It helps you ask questions on the go without needing to give your personal cell number to a coworker you might not want to have it... Very helpful.
I would recommend this product.

Pros

Have you ever been annoyed by your email inbox filling up with a conversation between coworkers? You get all the notifications piling up in your inbox, and you're wondering if you will have time to filter through the parts of the conversation that matter. Well! Look no further, because IF you can convince all your staff to use slack, it significantly decreases email chatter (which I found to be a huge relief)!
At my work, I can have instant messaging with any staff. I use the desktop version, so the notifications pop up at the bottom of my screen- allowing me to preview the message.
We even have a section called "just for fun" where we can add any tidbits we find interesting to a separate channel. It keeps up workforce morale without distracting from any tasks.
Also, it allows me to filter important questions from unimportant questions. If my coworkers have an urgent matter, they will come to my door. If it isn't urgent, they will slack me.
On a side note, I love that you can add gifs to your conversation. It keeps things lighthearted and entertaining.

Cons

Our team uses Asana, which doesn't have a chat feature, and I was hoping to make Slack that chat feature . You can add the app of Asana to Slack, but it isn't as intuitive to use. Sometimes the commands get confusing. There is a lot of " / asana " and you have to send the message before you can see the options of a result. It makes me paranoid that every time I send a message, they are getting backslashes everywhere! But those complications only come when you install apps to Slack. Everything else is intuitive and easy to use.

Mark G.

Slack , if you're not using it you should be.

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Really good, I contact four companies weekly, couldn't cope without it.

Pros

Powerful, easy to use, lots of options so it's both easy to start up with and become a power user.

Cons

Lots of options.. but maybe not the ones you need. The inability to move a direct message into folders is a pain. If a project moves/evolves you can't edit it retrospectively you can only press on. Which is a shame is you have stuffed saved you need to move.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

One of those 'everyone else is using it' so we moved. I have nothing against Teams, but Slack is superb.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We were in a minority and once we moved we didn't look back.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Robust Project Collaboration Tool

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

My team uses Slack to collaborate on web analytics, web apps and web design projects in an agile style of project management versus waterfall. So, we can make enhancements to analytics and design in an incremental fashion and avoid doing lots of changes in one big release. This ensures maximum development work done with less errors. Our overall experience with Slack has been smooth which results in completing more projects successfully to meet stakeholders' needs in less time and with less mistakes.

Pros

Slack offers channel creation capability which has helped my team collaborate efficiently on specific projects such as analytics. We are able to share questions and files around code changes for analytics enhancements. Once an update is about to be made to existing code, our developers can reach out to the business analyst and get more clarifications on his analytics requirements. Whenever there is a new notification sent within the analytics channel, the business analyst will receive an email update so he can respond right away. Other users of the analytics channel, can also jump into the conversation, if needed.

Cons

To get maximum benefit from Slack, I feel its users always need to have the Slack app open in their smart phone or laptop. Since I also use Gmail and Google Hangout to collaborate, it's challenging to respond to messages in Slack right away, when I am also chatting in Google Hangout or checking my emails in Gmail. If Slack can be integrated more seamlessly into Gmail as a chat window so I can see latest Slack messages within Gmail itself, it will make my office life more productive. I also feel Slack is meant for developers and project managers who have technical background and not for non-technical business users or managers. So, many business side users are left out of the Slack world and need another way to communicate with IT. It will be great if Slack tool is made more business friendly to increase adoption.

Heshani H.

Slack the best team communication software ever

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

We use slack in our office as the main communication app. We can connect with our overseas clients through slack so easily. As we can share rich media, we have everything in a single thread. And we have the ability to reply to the each message in the thread. Also we can delete unwanted messages. The best thing is we have set reminders for important tasks. So the overall experience is really nice and I am thankful to the slack developers.

Pros

We can create channels for separate projects and same time me can send direct messages for each other company members.
We can share texts, images,videos, audios, gif files and any rich media with others
We can set reminders for our work and slack bit is going to remind us our work
We can integrate other software like Skype, Hangouts,Gmail and many applications to slack, so that we can receive all the notifications through slack.
We have search options, so that we can search for previous texts we sent someone or in a certain channel.
Also there is an option to switch the do not disturb mode on. In that time we are not getting notifications.
We can easily use the web, desktop and mobile application so we can access chat via any device.
Considering all the matters I love this app.

Cons

I experienced some issues while getting voice calls.
Also it saves a limited number of lines in each chat thread. So we can not reference our earliest messages in threads.
These are the only issues I have experienced. But these are not that strong reasons to not to use this app.

Google Meet and Workplace by Facebook

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack is a combination of all of these products. Also for office communication this suits the most as the target market of the other applications are not the office people. We use workplace for highly technical project management tasks. Skype and Hangouts are embeddable for slack. So for an office , we thought the best option is Slack.
  • Industry: Publishing

Slack's As Good As The Team That Uses It

Reviewed on 03/08/2019

Slack's an incredibly important part of our organization's tools now. At first there was resistance from some in leadership: would it be distracting, would it be yet one more thing that confuses people about where information is and how to find what you're looking for? But we set some ground rules and best practices early on and had a small team try it out for a few months before making it available company wide. Establishing the expectations around slack and making sure that everyone understands that it's not a tool that people should be expected to be on all the time is critical.

Pros

Slack has been great for our company. Yes, it does cut down on the number of emails our team sends, and it has enabled us to work with our remote colleagues more efficiently. The desktop apps and mobile apps are well designed and the improvement to UX that comes with most updates is often welcome (e.g., recent addition of the Drafts feature).

Cons

The things I like least about Slack are not issues to do with Slack but instead to do with implementation, rules, culture, etc., etc. Like anything that's good and revolutionary, the implementation of Slack requires an understanding that with benefits come downsides. Be wary that humans using this software will remain humans and their idiosyncrasies and personalities will not be masked by the communication tool.

Yammer, Google Meet, Google Chat and WhatsApp

Reasons for Switching to Slack

At the time we began using slack there was a great incentive for our nonprofit and it was very low cost to try it out. We've not been disappointed.
Kylee L.
  • Industry: Facilities Services
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Excellent Team Communication Program

Reviewed on 12/07/2019

Being in Marketing, my team and I have to send many large design files on a daily basis. During a review process of one project, we may send up to 20 files back and forth. We found that sending via email was clogging up our limited email space very quickly and it also became difficult to go through an email thread to make sure you have all the notes from different team members. So, we began searching for a communication platform that would not only allow us to send large files, but one that could also make communication easier.

We have found that with Slack! We started using Slack just over five years ago and we never looked back! The file-sharing capabilities are phenomenal. Whether you are using the desktop app, online version or mobile app, files and attachments are easily downloaded or you can view them directly in Slack.

With many of our team members working remotely, Slack has also made communication and collaboration on projects much easier. By creating different channels, we have been able to single in on specific projects. That way, communication is not lost in a long email thread. Furthermore, the search capabilities within Slack make it simple to go back in a conversation and find any past content. Slack also allows us to one-off each other, when we need a more private conversation or a direct comment needs to be made. We are also enjoying the notification and status settings.

All of us on our Marketing team would highly recommend using Slack!

Pros

Hands down, the best feature about Slack is its file-sharing capabilities. It has made our jobs easier as a Marketing team to have this in a communication platform, especially since we need to send many files on a day-to-day basis. With many of us working from home or out of the office, having a centralized communication platform where we can communicate on projects, while file-sharing, is essential. It has kept us all out of "email jail" and has streamlined our review processes and turnaround times for meeting crucial deadlines.

Cons

There is very little I dislike about Slack, but I would say that the "Threads" communication portion of Slack could be developed a bit better. With this feature, someone can reply directly to a specific comment rather than in the full channel. The only issue with this is that the thread pops up on the right side of the screen, rather than directly below the original comment. Sometimes, this can be confusing and the notifications for Threads can sometimes be overlooked. If Slack were able to open the Thread directly under the original comment/post, that would make communication and notifications less confusing.

Alex T.

Essential for Running any Tech Business in 2019

Reviewed on 16/05/2019

Overall, Slack has been able to bring our teams together on both large scale and smaller scale business services where there are no longer dependencies in communication because all the important information is either sent as a message on each channel or sent as a reference link on each channel.

Pros

I currently run two separate companies, a tech repair company and a digital marketing firm, both of which rely heavily on large-scale business services. Slack allows both companies to efficiently manage each project with the channel functionality, where each of our projects is placed into a separate channel where we discuss important updates, share important documents and Tag important notes. All of this is made incredibly simple with slacks dead simple user interface and it's most certainly safe to say that our companies would face difficult times without this software.

Cons

There is one small annoyance that I have had with the software ever since our companies began using it years ago: the naming scheme for each slack channel. Each channel requires you to have lowercase letters with no spaces allowed and instead only allows underscores. This obviously in not an important issue, but it has definitely annoyed me in the past when I had to retype some of my channel names.

Asana and Trello
Luis daniel R.

A great team communication tool

Reviewed on 22/05/2019

Slack is honestly the best tool for team collaboration. You can communicate via voice or text with your coworker or friends from the browser, desktop or phone and it's reliable a lot. The messages are there and so are the files shared. Also same with the chat rooms.

Pros

I like Slack. I have been using it for aprox 4 years now. It's simple and it get's the job done. You can add extensions like JIRA, Google Drive, DropBox and so on. Basically slack you can have different rooms for different teams (you can manage the members per room or invite) and you can also have private chat conversations with other people. It's basically a chat server for your company or organization. The mobile app is awesome, the desktop app is fine and you can also use Slack on the browser. The free tier is good if you have a small team, now if you message a lot there's like a 10,000 message limit for the history so if you want to get the best deal, you'll need to pay. Same for the file sharing, there's a limit but it works super good.

Cons

Honestly Slack is great, but with the time, it's become stagnant. A lot of other platforms are providing features that are more robust and free. For instance, Discord, even if it is for gaming, it does everything Slack does and better. Even the desktop sharing is better. I wish Slack just kind of moved out of the stagnant position they are right now and innovate a bit more or refresh their app, but hopefully they don't break it, because it works fine as well.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

I initially started with it, before Discord even got better, the thing is, we are so integrated with Slack at the moment, we wish Discord could just add extensions but they have bots. so they're almost there.
Jon C.

Slack changes the model for business communication

Reviewed on 10/05/2019

Great communication tool and indispensable in the modern world of business.

Pros

It's IRC for business communication with a (much) nicer interface. Slack organizes discussions into channels and IM. It's easy to reach out to anyone in the company and have a discussion. Even better is the ability to bring in external users (customers) who can then quickly converse with support and engineering teams. For any new open source project, Slack is the preferred way to communicate with other contributors and users. Recently Slack has even added the ability to do VOIP calls through their platform. The mobile app works well and the UI is well designed to mimic the desktop app.

Slack also integrates with pretty much everything out there and it's also simple to write your own bots and plugins for Slack. For instance, we have a bot that alerts whenever someone writes to use on Intercom, as well as another that checks Stack Overflow for new messages pertaining to our project.

Finally Slack pricing is fairly competitive. There's a free tier which gives you most functionality except for the ability to search (if you exceed 10,000 messages). Then multiple paid tier options based on the number of users in your organization.

Cons

The desktop and mobile apps are my preferred way to use Slack and occasionally the performance tends to drag. Once in a while the Slack mobile app will unexpectedly terminate, although in recent updates it does that less frequently. I also don't like the fact that private conversations aren't really private as companies have the ability to request Slack for those records. I get it for compliance reasons, but be warned that private conversations are never private!

The search UI workflow isn't the most intuitive, they should just op for some universal search versus organizing the search results by type.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Ease of use, features, user preference