TriNet Zenefits Reviews

Chris
  • Industry: Automotive

Easy and affordable

Reviewed on 29/05/2020

Have been on this platform for 3 plus years. The software is always improving and new features are being introduced

Pros

Everything is cohesive and easy to learn and use.

Cons

Would like more pdf print options to be available

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Wanted to try the new kid on the block

ADP Vantage HCM

Cost and value
BZ
  • Industry: Libraries

Zenefits - Easy Peasy

Reviewed on 29/05/2020

This is a great software for a distributed workforce. We have employees in different 20 states and 40 different locations. Zenefits makes it easy for us.

Pros

This software is so easy to use for both the employees and the HR team. Everything is simple and straightforward, no convoluted quirky tricks needed to enter information. Hiring and onboarding is super easy. Open enrollment is super easy. Payroll is super easy. PTO management is super easy.

Cons

There are some tie in products that still need some work.

Paycom, ADP Workforce Now and BambooHR

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Needed an integrated solution.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

The benefits management system and the easy hiring ability were the original reason. In the end, it was the employee experience that made the difference - good mobile product.
Liv
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Save yourself time and money!

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Horrible! I don't even know where to begin. Customer service is a joke. Promises not kept, reps telling you that they have 300+ messages in their inbox so you should wait.

They have so many shady practices that it is hard for me to not call it a scam. Like not updating your employee numbers before they charge you a full year of service. We were charged more that double of what we should have paid and they now won't refund!

They promised a 3 week setup period and here we are 7 months later not being able to use their payroll services. Thanks but no thanks.

Pros

Nothing! It looked good, it was presented good.

Cons

Do not let the sales rep convince you and save yourself thousands of nonrefundable dollars!

PayFocus

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Thought bringing all services under one product would be easier, more efficient for us.

PayFocus

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Response from TriNet Group

Good afternoon Liz,
I am sorry to hear that your experience with Zenefits was less than satisfactory. Although not perfect, we are purposeful. Our goal is to provide each customer an experience we can take pride in.
We will use your feedback to create better training, a better user experience, and a better overall product.
We wish you well.

Sandy

User Friendly and Intuitive

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

The efficiency of Zenefits when it comes to onboarding is a huge timesaver. We're able to send employees key information they need before and after they start working with us with no manual work. I cut down on a few hours of work per week with this feature!

Pros

Zenefits is super simple to learn how to use, both for Admins and for Employees. My employees love being able to use the software for benefits enrollment, time off, and other requests. It's easy to teach someone how to use it because honestly, I don't really have to--the interface is really simple and easy to understand. Saves me a ton of time as an HR professional!

Cons

The Time Off reporting could be more robust, but this will come with time. As our company grows we're looking to pull more quick reports on PTO accrual and other balances, and some of the values we're looking for aren't readily available. There have been some changes in this area though, so the developers recognize how the system should be improved.

BambooHR and SilkOne Cloud Chiropractic EHR

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

The cost of Zenefits and the intuitive user interface sold us the most. We felt like we got the most value with the best user experience for our employees. The optional integrations were also a huge plus for us, like our 401(k) provider.
Sean
  • Industry: Hospitality

Easy and Convenient

Reviewed on 27/05/2020

Very positive. I have never used an outside service for basic HR functions before, but was pleasantly surprised at how much work Zenefits saves me by letting employees enter their own info.

Pros

Easy to use - Managers can access/input/share the info they need, employees can fill out their own info which saves HR a lot of work. Customer Service can be contacted easily. Reports/Info can be accessed easily. Reminders are emailed to you if any necessary information is missing.

Cons

I believe Zenefits does not have the ability to pay third party garnishments directly.

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

I was not employed here at the time of the switch.

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

I was not employed here at the time of the switch.
Andrea
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Very easy to set up and great app for employees

Reviewed on 13/06/2022

Great if you have mostly salaried exempt employees and you rarely need customer service help.

Pros

Overall very easy to use and set up would use again

Cons

It takes too long to reach a live person via chat. This used to be a great feature that allowed me to quickly fix issues. Now it takes 2-3 business days to get a response via email.

Gusto, ADP Workforce Now and Namely

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

The integration with harvest to track hours wasn’t the best.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

I had used Zenefits before and knew the set up was easy.

Effective, but pricey, payroll tool

Reviewed on 02/12/2019

The experience has been ok. It gets the job done but I'd be open to new options.

Pros

Zenefits has gotten the job done in terms of payroll and paying out contractors when needed. And they handle payroll taxes and necessary payroll reporting to the government.

Cons

The cost is high for a small business who might not have needs for most of their features. And the service has been fairly slow. For example, it took me a month to get a new form of payment on file as my business credit card had expired. During that month I had to handwrite checks and could not use the service.

Will
Will
  • Industry: Online Media

Good and Bad at the Same Time

Reviewed on 14/02/2020

Please check out what I had to say for cons. If you can live with having no number to call, or at least, not a number that take you to a human who can answer your questions, then the features and software are solid. The pricing is what you would expect based on the features.

Pros

This SaaS has tons of features and can really help a small business get over those HR hurtles, although it won't replace the most valuable assets that a in-the-flesh HR person brings.

Adding their payroll integration was a big win since our company was using a 401(k) admin that required manually keying in EVERYTHING back when we used intuit for payroll. So props for that!

Cons

OKAY, hear me out. The on-boarding process is unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if half of their potential client base ended up BACKING-OUT during on-boarding. I mean, it takes 2-4 weeks, you'll already be looking a bill on your credit card, and to make matters worse, the only staff that have a phone number are SALES PEOPLE!

You guessed it, the sales staff CAN NOT help you with your on boarding., PERIOD.

Response from TriNet Group

Will, we appreciate your review.

Aimee
Aimee

One of the BEST HRIS systems on the market

Reviewed on 12/09/2019

I absolutely loved this HRIS. As a consultant, I have worked with other organizations since that are using other HRIS/payroll tools and greatly miss my Zenefits heyday.

Pros

NEARLY EVERYTHING. From benefits administration to onboarding to PTO tracking it literally organized and kept almost all areas of HR automated in a user-friendly, highly customizable manner.

Cons

We had to give up our long-time relationship with our broker. That was part of the deal. We worked through their 3rd party relationship for ATS and performance management platforms, but we liked both tools, so it didn't feel awkward.

Harrison

Zenefits, the low-profile and easy-to-use HR management platform

Reviewed on 25/08/2016

Pros

Its ridiculously easy to manage and view my requested time off and remind myself of vacations and other important company policies. The company phone book is also really nice to have for ICE type events. They also recently released an iPhone app which has come in handy on multiple occasions. I could quickly request a day off from home without needing to login to my desktop or wait til I came in to work the next day and do it. Generating pay statements is also a snap. since I have direct deposit set up, anytime I need to access and remind myself what I got paid and when, I can use Zenefits.

Cons

I hate to leave off a downside, but I have not run into any issues using Zenefits. Yes, there are other services out there for this kind of thing, but Zenefits has just proven easy to use. I don't have to re-learn the UI or how to request time off (etc) everytime I log-in. Most everything else, for me, is not of much consequence.

Jennifer

Life Saver

Reviewed on 13/11/2020

Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Pros

Zenefits was a life saver for me! Everything was done manually before Zenefits so the amount of time is saved was amazing. The ease of use is incredible and I love the reporting capabilities.

Cons

Support response can be slow, especially for tax items

Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Needed something to do not only payroll but also filings, payments, compliance + all other HR and benefits admin.

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

price, ease of use and reporting
Brooks

Incredibly happy users

Reviewed on 11/08/2020

Overall experience with Zenefits has been very good and we would highly recommend.

Pros

Zenefits is very to use and the onboarding process is a breeze.

Cons

Zenefits reporting has gotten better, but still has some room for improvement. Additionally, they could do a better job with year-end comp process/reporting.

Gusto and Workday HCM

Gusto and Workday HCM

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Most comprehensive product with good pricing. Confident they would offer add-on product that we would want.
Jenn

Helped streamline our nonprofit operations

Reviewed on 18/10/2021

Great -- on the whole it has created so many efficiencies for me in payroll and HR management and we have easily saved money when I think of all the time saved.

Pros

I save so much time on payroll and have fewer errors compared to when we manually calculated it and used a 3rd party accounting firm to handle our payroll. Year end tax documents -- especially for contractors receiving 1099s -- are also much less of a headache now. I've also saved a ton of time on HR operations - in particular new staff onboarding and documentation. It's much simpler for both me and the new staff.

Cons

Customer service can be a little slow to respond, and setting up PTO for part-time employees was a little trickier and more time-consuming than I expected.

Gusto, ADP Workforce Now and BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

They offered a nonprofit discount and I like their sales team
Andrew

Support non-existent

Reviewed on 14/02/2020

The world was promised, the demo was extraordinary, and everything after signing fell flat.

Pros

The concept is great, as is the sales demo.

Cons

Onboarding took from October to February, but I was promised it was a painless few-day process. Yes, you read that correct, February (as in, way later than the Jan 1 payroll switch I expected).

At times, Zenefits implementation team would be unavailable for more than a week at a time.

There is no logical sub-navigation within the product. I frequently find myself going all the way back to the dashboard to re-enter an area of the software that was missing a sub-nav or breadcrumbs. Many links don't clearly show that you're about to completely leave a section of the portal. For instance, links in the "payroll" app take you to the "deductions" app and the whole UI changes without warning that you're switching apps.

I've had to correct Zenefits on:
- Incorrect benefit enrollments
- Incorrect premium entry
- Incorrect deductions
- Incorrect contributions
- Incorrect wages

And when I ask them to fix these things... they tell me to do it via manual entry!

This is a payroll software that apparently gets every element of paying someone wrong, requiring manual review on a per-pay basis.

Rippling and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

The demo was great, really made it seem like they had it all figured out. It was unfortunately a facade.

Response from TriNet Group

We are sorry to hear that your experience was less than ideal. We will take your feedback and use it for training and improvement purposes.
Thank you.

MiHyen
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Zenefits is great!

Reviewed on 20/10/2021

Working with Zenefits over the last several years has been great and I would recommend it to everyone.

Pros

The integration process and imputing al employee information is very easy.

Cons

All aspects of the software are very easy to use. Being able to contact a direct person for issues is slightly lacking.

Shannon
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Zenefits - WSPA Review

Reviewed on 05/10/2021

Excellent! Customer service is the only small issue, wait times can be long but typically they offer good resolutions.

Pros

Ease of use as an administrator and as an employee

Cons

Reminders are sent and are not easily removed from the home page of my administrator section.

Shae

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

Reviewed on 03/12/2018

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce

-Integrations with existing ATS,...

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce

-Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry

-Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper!

-Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave.

-Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses.

-ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution.

-Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one.

Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons

I wish the performance management module was baked into the subscription versus an add-on cost.

The transition to a new brokerage, OneDigital, has come with its challenges, but I appreciate that the leadership teams both with Zenefits and OneDigital have been willing to personally speak with me to determine how gaps can be bridged to improve my experience as the employer.

Allen

Zenefits payroll is very bulky. It is also limited and lacks functionality.

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Zenefits is pretty low-tech masquerading as some high tech Payroll software. There's nothing that high tech about them and just about every person on the customer service side lacks basic knowledge of its functionality. It is a lot more confusing than Gusto and is nothing more than a series of modules built on Django, Javascript and jQuery with very basic databases that run on cron jobs.

I can live with the product that Zenefits has despite all of its shortcomings but the people behind it need much better training. Their fake enthusiasm coupled with little to no knowledge of the platform, hr, or payroll is a huge turn off.

Pros

Time & Attendance: Users are able to seamlessly clock in and out from their phones once they get familiar with Zenefits.
PTO: PTO is simple and streamlined.

Cons

Customer Service: The chat agents are a waste of time to talk to. The phone agents know very little but can at least put you on hold, ask their supervisor and learn as they go along.
Pay Runs are akward but here is the process:

1. You need to approve your employees timesheets.
2. Timesheets need to be pushed to payroll. This requires some time. Looks like its set up on a cron job so if you just missed it you need to wait a few minutes for it to get pushed.
3. From there you add the deductions and reimbursements. If you don't have the types set up, you'll need to step away and set them up. There's no memo you can input once you add a deduction. For example, if its an employee purchase it doesn't allow you to describe what was purchased.
4. You approve the pay run, push it through and wait for confirmation. Another cron job most likely.

PTO Policy is there but since its so easy to do, its subject to a lot of abuse.

You cannot reimburse an employee in net earnings. The functionality just isn't there.

You need to select whether employees clock in through an iPad or their phones. You can't mix and match.

The app for an administrator is absolutely useless. There's not much you can do as an admin from your phone.

Navigating is bulky. Instead of selecting your employee and seamlessly flowing through everything that relates to them, you need to first pick which module you want to use and toggle back and forth between modules.

Jai
  • Industry: Supermarkets

Zenefits is the perfect platform to manage your payroll, benefits, 401k, and HR for small...

Reviewed on 28/09/2021

Pros

Zenefits is the perfect platform for any small to medium size business. I am an entrepreneur and Zenefits has allowed me to manage payroll, benefits, 401k, and HR from one user friendly platform. Their customer service is amazing, and I love the peace of mind of having there HR experts in my corner for any employee related issues. I have now used them for about 7 years with three different companies and I don't plan on going anywhere. Did I mention they also make all your payroll taxes for you? Well, they do, and I love it :)

Cons

I would love if Zenefits would not only take deductions but have a feature to stop the deduction once the entire amount is collected. Currently I have to turn off the deduction once is met.

Gusto

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

We needed more services that QB didn't provide.

Easy-to-use software takes the pain out of PeopleOps

Reviewed on 18/11/2020

I was thrilled to join a company that had already implemented Zenefits, because the product is dynamic and nimble, fitting our needs. We have been able to use many features, including benefits enrollment, payroll, reporting, integrations with our systems, onboarding, time and attendance and more. Whenever we've had a question we've been able to find the answer via the trainings provided, or by reaching out to the support team. We've also been impressed with features that Zenefits rolled out related to COVID 19 (like the PPP loan estimator, and Truework for health checks. It would be very painful to not have the tool - highly recommended for small and medium sized businesses.

Pros

Zenefits is easy to implement and to use. Our team members rarely need any help with the product - it is clear what it can do and how it needs to get done. I appreciate that Zenefits allows us to integrate so many products in one spot (our ATS, learning management and performance management systems all have links back to Zenefits) and that it gets so much done for us. During COVID-19, we've onboarded 100 new employees in a virtual only setting, and much of the ease has been due to how much work Zenefits automates for us.

Cons

Sometimes configuration of payroll or benefits can feel tricky - however, my experience with it has been better in Zenefits than other platforms.

Lisa

Excellent UX - Lacks on the service provided

Reviewed on 21/09/2018

Pros

The platform itself is incredibly easy to use. The time off feature was extremely valuable and appreciated by employees. Open Enrollment via the platform was easy for the employee and running reports was incredibly efficient. Overall, the platform was well made and well managed.

Cons

The payroll "integration" was never accurate so we couldn't rely on it. The service that Zenefits provided, from a Customer Service standpoint, was unreliable. We always had issues, whether it be random deletion of employees from our benefits, adding dependents randomly to our benefits, an agent assuring us something was taken care of and finding it was not, being provided incorrect info, taking long periods of time to correct errors, getting different answers from different reps, etc..., we could not rely on their service. We had to duplicate our efforts so frequently that the "automated" service Zenefits provided was irrelevant. Also, while the data migration was provided in a bulk download, we were missing documents and had to reactivate our account multiple times to retrieve missing documents. Nowadays, local insurance brokers are providing robust services with Open Enrollment platforms that integrate with most systems - Zenefits and the headache of their customer service doesn't provide value any longer.

Venugopal
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

With the introduction of Zenefits!! Get most of your HR Problems Released!!!!

Reviewed on 20/08/2018

Pros

In today’s life, a very big problem that big companies are facing is that HR is not manageable. I have seen a lot of companies that are facing this problem extremely. So, to overcome these barriers and make the flow smooth a brilliant software had been launched named: ZENEFITS!! It provides a platform that can be easily understood and can be used by an ordinary person. Great Na!! It also stores time and attendance of its users and supports Integration. One great thing is also that it provides a completely automated and electronic employees on-boarding services. It integrates all the functions of HR management under one roof only. This one is Awesome Guys!! It also supports reporting and filing data of ACA as well as it also supports customer service.

Cons

This application excludes international payrolls and having some problems in permanent storage of details of employees (Like mailing address of employees). Sometimes very awkward problems arise like managers are not able to access all the details of employees etc. Its Insurance Integration is also very bad as well as it provides only a few reports that are almost of no use. In comparison to its competitors, its prices are a little bit higher which also increases its cons. It has no performance management tools as well as it is not full HRIS, it is a basic system so use according to your needs.

• Industry: Broadcast Media

Love hate relationship

Reviewed on 13/11/2018

Listen, I'd still recommend them. I use the app almost daily, I log on at least a few times a week. It's a necessary tool in our belt and I'd be sad to lose them.

Pros

Ok, so it's great that Zenefits centralizes all of your HR needs into one system. It's certainly easier than logging into individual insurance sites. I like that the app loads quickly and can quickly give me info on my commuter benefits balance or show me my insurance info. It's also very easy to log personal days. And it's nice seeing the structure of the company within the website -- it's great for transparency.

Cons

Sometimes the zenefits team can't answer your question -- especially when it comes to insurance brouhaha. I nearly had a meltdown this past summer when my insurance company INSISTED I wasn't covered, but zenefits insisted that I was. No one would speak to each other, and only after a month of emails and calls was it ironed out. I can't say that this is zenefits' fault -- but it was annoying how deeply unhelpful they were.

Neila

Easy to use, awful customer service

Reviewed on 24/01/2018

I would not recommend Zenefits to anyone! They have a lot of work to really compete with other platforms that provide real time customer service and you don't have to sit and wait for them to call you.

Pros

The platform itself is pretty easy to use and the dashboard is nice. The payroll portion is easy to use, but for hourly employees, payroll can not be run until the absolute end of the payroll. Even if you wanted to process payroll a little early, you can't.

Cons

The customer service is awful. If you send a "help" email, you will NEVER get a response. If you request a call-back, you will get that, but if the agent tells you they will send a confirmation email, don't expect it because it will never come. Their benefits team is super slow at responding to benefits questions. I end up calling the carriers to get my answers. And payroll....if you submit your payroll at the 2:00 PST and they receive it at 2:01 PST, you payday gets pushed one day. I don't understand why they require four days before payroll processing for direct deposits. The customer service team are mostly really awful to speak with; they dismiss you like you are wasting their time.

Tai
Tai
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Great for onboarding!

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

Zenefits has been great, both from a user and an admin perspective.

Zenefits has been great, both from a user and an admin perspective.

Pros

Great for onboarding, benefits, and payroll management. We have used Zenefits for years, and it has been a great tool for managing our employees' time clock, payroll, benefits, and hiring/onboarding.

Cons

Sometimes the customer support is a bit slow to reply.