Basecamp

4.3 (14,427)
Flexible project management & team communication tool

(14,427)
4.2/5
4.2/5
4.3/5
4.3/5

Paul
Paul
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

I always come back to Basecamp

Reviewed on 30/07/2021

We have three sites. What Basecamp has provided is the unification of messages and tasks across all sites. It has added transparency that is invaluable to all of our team. We can keep important documents. Onboarding videos and other useful information. No more scraps of paper or post-it notes on peoples desks. It provides real accountability for everyone on the team. So simple to use which means 100% user adoption. Everyone loves Basecamp and we have tried every PM software out there. Basecamp is the best in the business!

Pros

When you first start using basecamp, two things strike you the most. It’s clean super tight interface and the lack of some common functions. I see both of these things as a positive. This might seem odd but you soon realise that the makers at Basecamp are uncompromising in their relentless pursuit of keeping you efficient. No bloat. No complication. These all adds up to adoption by the whole team. Which for me is the most important thing. You can have a perfect project management system, but if no one uses it. It’s useless. Basecamp’s gets everything on the same page.

Cons

I would love the app to give you persistent reminders for tasks! Snooze for 5 mins etc.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

It had everything we needed and nothing we didn't.
Ryan
Ryan
  • Industry: Design

Great tool, but unfortunately the price is one of the highest values

Reviewed on 14/11/2022

Pros

Basecamp is an incredibly strong task management tool. Great for small teams. As far as resource management and any medium sized projects basecamp lacks behind its competitors. With all this said, I love basecamp as it is nostalgic for decades now of work that I've been able to implement easy with teams and organizations.

Cons

resource management, alignment, lack of scheduling, confusing interface that forces users to just use search, upgrades and updates... although good, only make it harder to leave and not actually fix needed overhauls.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

So Asana, was better designed back in 2018 or so, but was also very buggy at the time, and still lacked in scheduling and other areas, we made the switch and have been happy, but now basecamp is needing another overhaul to keep up with alternatives.Sad to say but their pricing model (back then) was unmatched and now they are switching that up to be per user/month like everyone else. I'd suggest they stick in their lane, but alas.

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

sad to say but it was pricing. Now as we've grown we need more value that basecamp cannot keep up with.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Nearly great but not quite

Reviewed on 16/07/2018

We felt that the "all in one" nature of the software was great, but beyond our initial tests we found it lacking in adaptability to fitting into the way WE work, (it wants you to wholly adopt their approach and we felt that there was an internal resistance to that development style) - therefore we abandoned the platform and looked for alternatives.

Pros

For years we have been looking for an all in one project and task management system to use with our business. And BaseCamp is so nearly it, it has most of the features you'd expect but presents them in a different way to most other task tracking systems.

On the positive side, it's easy to use, friendly to the eye and everything is where it should be. It has some nifty features that you can easily become over-reliant on that aren't present in other management software tools. One recent addition was the Hill Chart where you plot a task on an "planning hill" - in a really visual way. This is totally unique and works well, helping you quickly identify the progress of any given task.

As a project manager, this is a very useful way of seeing where everything currently "is at"

Cons

Onto the Cons: For us, we found that the software was too verbose in its approach, it has a work log system where each user is expected to fill in a diary of what they have done today - sure, this can be switched off in the options, but the regularity of BaseCamp e-mailing you is far too high as a default. By default you're constantly managing e-mails from the system (which is precisely what is is meant to eliminate!)

Once you disable these notifications, we felt that the software starts to lose its impact, our staff started to drift away from it over time and went back to other task tracking methods (such as trello) for different areas of the development. This caused us to reconsider the entire enterprise and look for alternatives, our team just couldn't seem to adopt the (very rigid) way that Basecamp wants you to work.

Nikoloz
  • Industry: Entertainment

Basecamp review after a year of using

Reviewed on 15/12/2023

Basecamp ensures our team remains on track, progressing systematically. It enhances our efficiency and thoroughness, leaving no room for missed details.

Pros

Basecamp excels in its simplicity, avoiding feature overload, enabling focused collaboration on essential tasks, whether it's organizing retro meetings, roadmaps, or projects.
Its mobile support, reasonable pricing, impressive hill charts, client accessibility, and user-friendliness stand out as key advantages.
I enthusiastically utilized Basecamp in a previous role overseeing a team of seven due to my passion for organization.
For us, Basecamp serves as an excellent task management system, offering fantastic visibility into task and project progress, with its ease of use being the primary appeal.

Cons

This product's downside is the absence of certain features across all versions, which we found to be limiting.
The complexity arising from various Basecamp versions is my singular complaint about the platform.
Encountering a poor experience led us to switch away from this product.
I am unable to remove an inappropriate comment from a parent, which is a notable limitation.

Rony

A Seamless Collaboration Experience With Basecamp

Reviewed on 23/06/2023

My overall experience with Basecamp had its ups and downs. On one hand, the platform offered a user-friendly interface and comprehensive project management tools that streamlined our collaboration efforts. The real-time messaging and file sharing capabilities were convenient for team communication. However, I encountered occasional technical glitches and experienced a learning curve when navigating some of the advanced features. The lack of robust customization options and the higher pricing compared to alternatives were also minor drawbacks. Despite the challenges, Basecamp proved to be a reliable tool for enhancing teamwork and project organization.

Pros

Basecamp is a game-changer for collaboration, boosting productivity and communication with its intuitive interface and powerful features. It's simplicity and organized layout make project navigation effortless. The comprehensive project management tools, including task assignment and milestone tracking, ensure efficient workflow management. Real-time messaging and integrated file sharing enhance seamless communication. Basecamp's emphasis on transparency and mobile app accessibility further enhance the collaborative experience. Highly recommended for streamlined teamwork.

Cons

While Basecamp offers a range of impressive features, there were a few areas that left something to be desired. One drawback was the limited customization options. I found myself wishing for more flexibility in tailoring the platform to our specific project needs. Additionally, the absence of time-tracking capabilities was a missed opportunity for tracking individual and team productivity. I also experienced occasional performance lags, particularly when the platform was accessed by multiple users simultaneously. Lastly, the pricing structure felt a bit on the higher side compared to some competitors. Despite these shortcomings, Basecamp remains a solid collaboration tool, but it could benefit from addressing these areas of improvement to further enhance the user experience.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

After carefully evaluating various alternatives, I ultimately chose Basecamp as my go-to collaboration tool for several compelling reasons. Firstly, it's user-friendly interface and intuitive design stood out, making it easy for my team to adopt and navigate. Secondly, the comprehensive project management features provided everything we needed to stay organized and efficient. The real-time messaging and integrated file-sharing capabilities were also superior to other options we considered. Furthermore, Basecamp's emphasis on transparency and accountability aligned perfectly with our team's values. Lastly, it's reliable performance and consistent updates gave me confidence that Basecamp would meet our long-term collaboration needs.

Basecamp Takes Your Team to the Summit!

Reviewed on 25/09/2023

Basecamp is the gold standard for teams that have a high value on time and project/task management!

Pros

Basecamp has a lot of great tools and features "out of the box" that make project/task management easily done while setting clear prioritize to maximize productivity.

Cons

There isn't much to put here! The biggest challenge was internal adoption and use, which was no issue once they got to know the lay of the land in Basecamp.

Jira

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

More functionality and the tools we needed, built in.
Angela
Angela
  • Industry: Graphic Design

The free versions is great and anyone and use

Reviewed on 15/11/2023

Great for small projects with minimal milestones.

Great for small projects with minimal milestones.

Pros

It doesn't require any training for new users to jump on the platform to view their tasks and deadlines and communicate within the project.

Cons

Very difficult to project management across dozens of milestones when compared to Asana or SmartSheet.

Asana and Smartsheet

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Its free and super easy for anyone to use without training since we only use it to assign a task with defined deadline.
Katie
Katie
  • Industry: Higher Education

Ease of Task Management

Reviewed on 20/06/2023

Would highly recommend this product to others! I've used FreshService and didn't like it nearly as much as I like Basecamp. Basecamp is intuitive, easy to learn, easy to use, and helps in daily task management.

Pros

I love that I always have a record of the work I have accomplished - when we go back at the end of the month or fiscal year for reviews and for records of when items were completed, it's so helpful to have easy to access documentation to review.

Cons

Sometimes there are errors when assigning tasks to others, but that very rarely is an issue.

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Task management

Reviewed on 06/08/2023

Helped me in project management and other quality assurance role with my team members for and effective outcome

Pros

Base camp helps in task management,chat real time within team members,truck project and also notify users or team of any project to be done

Cons

It is okay to use just need time to understand and navigate through the interface for effective collaboration

Khay Amani
Khay Amani
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

cheap and cheerful with excellent basics.

Reviewed on 22/06/2023

very positive

very positive

Pros

ease of use, simple clear layout and cost effective

Cons

im going to run out of capacity/storage fairly soon i think.

Slack

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

cost mainly but needed something simple this fit the bill
  • Industry: Broadcast Media
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Basecamp is the best all user portal!

Reviewed on 16/01/2020

Our team has always been collaborative but with Basecamp used as a tool, we have been able to increase our collaborative spirit. In addition, we have been able to accomplish projects and tasks faster because it gives us a way to share which piece we are working on and thus eliminating duplication.

Pros

I love Basecamp! I think it is a great software for keeping tabs on projects and people you work with. It is a collaborative space for users to update each other on what parts of the project they are working on or finishing up. It gives our team the balance needed to ensure no one is working on the same thing or on overlapping projects. It has been a huge asset and we have all loved watching the progression of projects and campaigns we are working on. It has many settings so you can really set it up based on how your team would best thrive.

Cons

One con is that this product could easily turn into a micromanaging tool for bad managers and leaders. When utilized properly it will do wonders for your team but if overused it could be a huge pain point and stressor for employees. They allow an option to have your team give a daily summary of their tasks and I could easily see that going wrong if used by the wrong manager.

OneDrive

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

I have previously used OneDrive and I think it could have been a great tool for our team but Basecamp is just better structured. OneDrive has limitless possibilities I think and Basecamp has a more structured layout that makes it easier for me as a supervisor to control and shape to best fit my team.
Terrance
Terrance
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Recommended - Use it daily

Reviewed on 20/07/2020

We use Basecamp almost on a daily basis. It is fantastic for managing our team and different partners. Our operations side has also been thrilled with the lists that Basecamp provides. Makes it easy for managers to see what has been completed

Pros

Basecamp is well suited for project management. I've used Trello historically but it never had the same degree of functionality. I love the fact that I can have lists, easily collaborate with others and make it almost like a task force that I can assign to various people on our tea.m
It was easy enough to implement and also great if you need to hit the ground running since the learning curve is virtually non existant.

Cons

I use Basecamp 2 and the part I like least about the software is that within the cards itself, I can't @person to provide updates. I can assign various cards to specific people but can't call out specific individuals in those cards.

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

Features and functionality. Trello is great if you like the kanban approach but we needed something that had more features.

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

Trello is limited to kanban boards. We needed to have different views and basecamp was able to provide that at a cost that we could afford.
Chuck
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Basecamp is irreplaceable! Trust me, we actually tried too Lol!

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

We use base camp for each department. Every team has their own project. Within each project is every teams important training documents documents, files, and weekly tasks. We use the ping feature for group messages. It has made file sharing very easy. Many of our documents have to be referenced by several different at various times throughout the year. Basecamp makes it simple to keep up with these documents.

Pros

Basecamp has been an amazing product for us for years now! It allows us to manage projects in events by keeping to do lists, files, and instructions all in one place.The team I manage uses it to assign tasks, communicate between team members and keep up with conversations so we can reference them later, and , keep track of files and receipts. Every document and system that our team members need access to can be attained in one place. There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it.

Cons

There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it. There are really only two things that I dislike about Basecamp but I’ve learned to live with them for now. 1.). There is a great variety of ways to send communication. You can send a ping (which is kind of like an instant message), You can make a comment on the general message board of each project, you can comment on the calendar item, you can comment on the task item itself, and you can comment on individual files you add. At first it seems real handy but once you start adding multiple projects it can sometimes be difficult to go back and figure out where a conversation happened. Thankfully the search icon works rather well in these instances but not always. The way we have gotten around this is to make sure our Team is clearly instructed on what features we will use to communicate various kinds of information. 2.) there is a feature called haystack. This functions as your personal inbox letting you know what due dates are approaching, what tasks were recently assigned, and what conversations have happened recently that you need to be part of. However, once you click on an item it disappears immediately from your inbox. So when you see something important, you need to respond or add a personal to do immediately. I wish it didn’t delete until you told it to delete like a normal email inbox. This way you could come back to the message and deal with it at a better time.

Bethany
  • Industry: Publishing

My, well, base camp for client communications!

Reviewed on 06/05/2021

I create an individual Basecamp project for each of my clients to handle communication, deadlines, and file-sharing. Basecamp is the only project management software I've found that really excels at being used in a client-facing manner. I can get clients set up within minutes without confusing or overwhelming them.

Pros

My use of Basecamp is unique in that I personally don't need project management software as much as a client communication interface, and Basecamp is perfect for that! My work requires me to implement deadlines for both my team and my clients, and Basecamp allows me to clearly communicate that entire timeline while keeping all files and communication in one place. It really is a perfect "home base"!

Cons

I'd love to be able to customize which projects we receive updates on! Instead of just choosing email updates or no email updates, it would be great to have a newsfeed of only starred projects or even the ability to designate and filter by role within a project.
I also feel that the jump between Basecamp Personal and Basecamp Business is a bit too stark. I'd love to see, say, a Basecamp Entrepreneur option in between aimed at companies that don't need unlimited features and can't afford the $99 monthly price point. Basecamp 2's "10 projects for $20/month" package would be an ideal model!

Jira and Freedcamp

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

While I preferred the pricing structure of the alternative products, Basecamp can't be beaten in terms of client friendliness.
Michael

Basecamp is the best tool for simple to do list.

Reviewed on 24/02/2022

I have left basecamp and went to Teamwork.com, after a while, returned to basecamp. I have left basecamp and went to Monday.com, after a while returned to basecamp. That shouls tell you something.

Pros

I think the simplicity of basecamp is wonderful. Almost everyone can ue basecamp, take a new user and throw them into Monday.com or TeamWork.com and they will get lost and faiil. But with Basecamp, it is so easy and intuitive, everyone succeeds!

Cons

Reporting especially email reporting is very weak. also, printing can be improved greratly.

Teamwork.com and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

i usually swith back and forth due to nature of the project.

BUGtrack, Teamwork.com and monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

i have went back and forth. today, i choose the task manager based upon the project that i am managing.
Maryellen

For managing details and timelines for complex projects

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

I am a fundraiser, and often - OFTEN - have several big fundraising projects in preparation at the same time. Before Basecamp, it was a nightmare to keep all of the details for each event separate and clear, without dropping the ball on some important responsibilities. Unfortunately, failing to take care of an important detail on any of these events can be devastating, so I could barely sleep because of the stress of worrying about where I was on each project. Also, since I often use some of the same vendors (caterers, tent rental, hotel space) it was hard to remember if I had talked to them about each individual event, and had all of my facts straight for each individual event. Basecamp makes it possible to track each and every event carefully, set up connecting emails to keep everyone informed, and makes it very easy to set deadlines, timers, and reminders for every important goal and part of the event. It took an entire weekend to set up all of the lists, timelines, and connections needed within Basecamp for the eight complex fundraising events I had on my calendar when I first set up in Basecamp. But after that weekend, I slept better than I had in months because everything was organized, I could see in a few seconds exactly what was on my "To-do" list for each day, each week, and up until the day or the event, as well as what I was waiting for from anyone else. This program is certainly an expense. But it gave me incredible peace of mind.

Pros

It is so well integrated. For example, taking one action will also notify several team members who need to know about that action without me having to send numerous emails. The software makes it possible to track several or many projects with dozens of people without losing a step or forgetting anything.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve to get started, but technical support is good, and the program quickly becomes intuitive.

The other members of your team - not only your staff, but your client - must also be willing to learn Basecamp. On the other hand, once they do, they will love it - and you!

Christopher

We would be a Mess without It

Reviewed on 26/07/2019

Despite my complaint about Discussions, I REALLY love this product and honestly cant' see how we could keep organized with the complexity of our projects without it. I know there are other products that do similar things in different ways, but you guys hit perfectly on providing exactly the functionality we need without a lot of extra fluff.

We use Basecamp B2 BTW and not B3 because we don't need all the additional fluff of B3. We have other products to handle chat (like Skype etc) so there was nothing about B3 that we needed. WE LOVE BASECAMP B2 !!!

Pros

I love the ease of use, and the how it allows us to keep very complex projects organized via the To-dos etc. I love the fact it lets our teams collaborate in a single location and keep everything related to a project organized. (We use Basecamp B2 FYI)

Cons

DISCUSSIONS. If I had a way to turn off the ability to start a new discussion I would. I like the fact the discussion area shows the chronological listing of activities, but I DO NOT like the concept of a discussion.

Everything we do in Basecamp is in the TO-DO section because you can assign ownership and due dates. A DISCUSSION on the other hand, cannot be assigned to someone or a date added.

Anything we need to discuss, can be done inside a specific TO-DO item and at the point someone needs to take action it can then be assigned to someone for ownership.

A discussion without the ability to assign ownership and a time element is Just a bunch of talking and worthless to a business.

I'm also continually having customers go out there and open new discussions when they want something instead of opening a to-do because discussions are the first thing they see. If I could turn off the ability to open a new discussion I would.

Because of the issue I just mentioned, it would be VERY HELPFUL if there was an easy way to move an item from a DISCUSSION to a TO-DO. That would make it easy to deal with the situation if someone opened a discussion instead of a to-do and also would make logical sense that people are talking about something for a long time (Discussing it) and then when it's time to get off their butt and do something they could move it to a to-do (have the history of the discussion) and assign ownership.

Jason
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Better way of doing business

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

While there were other, cheaper PM softwares to consider, one of the reasons I started to look at Basecamp is because they are, in a sense, industry leaders. They are constantly publishing books or podcasts about better ways of doing business and that's something their software does.

Pros

Since switching to Basecamp we've seen better communication, collaboration, and better delivery on projects for our marketing team. The way Basecamp delivers information—keeping it all up front and easily accessible—makes it super easy to find out where a project is at at any given time.

We've also seen an increase in productivity. People are spending less time trying to figure out what it is they are doing and spending more time getting tasks checked off their list.

It has also improved team morale. PM software can be frustrating, but the user interface has made it more fun.

While we haven't rolled this out company wide, we are looking forward to it.

Cons

I think there is room to improve the educational components of Basecamp. Based on their customer experience, are there best usage stories? Are there best practices for implementation and usage that we can use? Key piece is communication. There's a lot of choices for where people can submit updates: Campfire, in the task list, in individual tasks. What are the best practices? Someone, please tell me.

ActiveCollab and Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

As a company, we had been using Wrike as our Project Management system. But one of our biggest issues was how we can have more widespread company usage of a PM system. Whenever projects needed to be reviewed, we would pull the assets out of Wrike and shift the conversation to email or Slack and would lose some of the data. We couldn't move everyone fully into Wrike because of the additional cost.

Pricing and user interface
Kim
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Fixed our team!

Reviewed on 25/10/2020

This program solves our disorganization and order of operations issues we were having.

Pros

I think the most impactful part of the program is that now everything is in one place and everything is accountable for I'm bored. You no longer have to worry if you directed someone to do something and if they completed or not. This now helps to get everything organized and in order as if there was an employee they're performing all of the work.

Cons

I haven't done anything that we liked least about it yet play the but we do like the improvements because we had tried it a few years ago and it didn't work as well as it does now for our company.

Dayforce HCM

Reasons for Choosing Basecamp

We saw a review online for this program

Reasons for Switching to Basecamp

The reviews for this and the price.
Daniel
Daniel

Basecamp - for small and (some) medium-sized projects

Reviewed on 15/01/2021

I use Basecamp to manage part of my projects. It helps me to keep in better connection with my clients and the members of the team.

I think it is well suited for small and maybe medium-sized projects. It’s reliable and effective at keeping everything organized as long as your teams will have less than 20 members.

But if you’re taking into consideration to use Basecamp, you must also evaluate the complexity of the project and the need of communication between members.

Sometimes the conversation will become hard to follow because everything is put together, and after a while it’s difficult to keep track of it.

We also use the document management and sharing feature to organize project files. Number of emails between team members and/or client dropped after starting using Basecamp.

In fact, you can use Basecamp entirely as a communication platform to organize and keep in touch with your clients. Basecamp consolidates all messages with the client in one place. If the projects are for external clients you can add them to your project and choose only certain resources that they can have access to.

Pros

Basecamp has a very easy to use and intuitive interface. Managing and supervising projects is clean and efficient.
It allows us to share only certain resources with the client.
Groups allow team members to collaborate and share resources.
Members can communicate real-time with the chat or direct messages(pings) or by posting on messages board.
I can dismiss questions or responses if inadequate for the group.
We’re able to set a responsible and set deadlines for tasks.
I can quickly see the tasks we still need to do.
I like how I can have all communication with the client in one place. We don’t need to communicate by emails so often.
Calendar will tell us the time spent and the deadline of the projects.
You can define project hierarchies to break down projects and make them more manageable.
Sometimes I need to share something with a person who’s not on the team; for this I can create a public share link.
We can use templates to speed up the creation of similar projects.

Cons

There is no plan between Free and Business (99USD/month).
Grouping and following longer discussions is not that easy.
I would like to have the possibility to delete files in bulk.
The calendar is just basic, it lacks many features like exporting or syncing with external apps/tools.
I think there are too many email notifications.
I would like to correct or edit online an already uploaded document.
If you want to change the design after your company branding, don't expect that from Basecamp.
I miss a standard feature to prioritize the tasks so we can drop out our custom conventions.

Mohammed
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Preparing and implementing tasks through the cooperation of team members

Reviewed on 13/11/2021

Basecamp contributed to increasing the ability to follow up on all projects of the organization, as well as save documents and documents related to those projects, and also through notifications of tasks that are sent at the specified times to all members, ensuring that everyone stays in touch with the actual situation of the project and enables the project management to know the points Defects and omissions in production baskets, which gives them flexibility with the ability to enter at the right time.

Pros

Basecamp is a flexible program with a distinctive design, which enables the work team, by integrating jobs, to dispense with many of the tasks they perform, which contributes to saving time and effort and increasing productivity.
The team will be able to communicate through Basecamp from anywhere at any time and also via mobile phones.
Each team member will be able to list the tasks, their due dates, and the members who contribute to the implementation of the task, which makes the follow-up processes and measurement of achievement rates easy and clear to everyone. The application will provide you with notifications about the assigned tasks that you have to follow.
The application provides the ability to download files, documents and videos of a specific activity, and they will be saved for reference at any time. The application enables you to work on several projects at the same time, as you will be able to customize the tasks according to the project you are working on.

Cons

Everything is excellent, Basecamp is easy to use for everyone, it has a unique user interface, which allows you to know all the tasks that you are required to participate in and their due dates. Basecamp has an excellent support team and provides educational aids to everyone that helps with a clear understanding of how the app works. Basecamp provides a very large amount of freedom for users, enabling them to include and modify the list of people to send notifications to, ensuring that those notifications reach the people concerned at the specified times.

Joel
Joel

Basecamp is simply the best at what they do. Easy to use, logically designed, totally in...

Reviewed on 07/03/2018

Pros

It's simple interface makes managing multiple projects a dream. As a Marketing Manager, I'm over seeing everything from product launch to creative development. I have a larger team working on a broad array of projects. Basecamp let's me go in, add tasks, easily check progress and get updated on everything in a manner of minutes. If I let my notifications go untouched for most of the day, Basecamp is so easy to use that I can clear my Heystack notifications (usually 60+) in a few minutes. Updates are that clear!!!
Basecamp, if used properly, could totally eliminate the need for internal email. In fact, I insist my team use Basecamp instead of email. Basecamp focuses communication on the work being done and allows everyone a view on the conversation. This is a problem with email, and merely fwd'ing or cc'ing all the time doesn't really fix the problem of keeping a large team 100% informed. Plus, we all know that no one reads their email.
Beyond that, their customer service is top notch. They take a personal approach with everyone. I once caused an issue with how they program their "todo lists" and they created a fix JUST FOR ME! I assume others use it too, but they wouldn't know that it the "fix" was even a fix, because it was the personal touch that Basecamp gave me that introduced the fix.

Cons

Basecamp has taken a minimalist approach to software design and as a project management tool. In some cases, I do find myself wishing for certain features. Ultimately, I've tried other software and though they may do what Basecamp does while also including those other features, Basecamp is simply the best at what they do, even without the other features, so I have never considered switching.

Kim
  • Industry: Events Services
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees
  • Used for 2+ years

I have used Basecemp to communicate with independent contractors, internal creative team and...

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

Keeping all creative edits, documents, client information in one place was great. It was very organized and helped me to be organized and retrace my steps when needed.

Pros

I mainly used this product when I was working in advertising but we still use it for the design of our program each year with our Communications team. You can create projects and determine who can see them - so, for example, I have a client (X) and my internal team (Y) and independent contractors (Z) for Project A. I can have an ongoing project named Client X where I've added all my internal resources to discuss every project we are working on with them where I can do everything from give SOW, get an estimate of time, create a timeline, receive rounds of work and communicate with my internal team with all changes in one place. I can remove people from conversations that they may not need to be a part of, but they can come see the conversation later if they choose/need to. I will receive email updates from Basecamp every time someone has sent me something on Basecamp. I can also have a Project named Project A where I add members of the client team. Here I can get approval for the cost, send a timeline and all drafts of the project. I can also have a Project named Z for the Independent Contractor. Here, I can get an estimate from this person, send them a proposed timeline, and receive their work. It keeps all of the documents in one place, all edits, all communication and can be organized however it suits you!

Cons

When I was in advertising, the main issue I noticed was that people who don't take the time to learn how to use Basecamp are it's biggest downfall. For example, we have everything from Account Managers who respond via email (which works, but inserts their signature unnecessarily into the comment every time) to creatives who create a new thread everytime they have an update to a project, which defeats the point of being able to look back at every edit/communication to see when a change was made or was supposed to be made but was missed etc. It can also be detrimental if you don't select the appropriate people to see your comment/document. If you just reply to the people who were on the previous comment without checking who was on it, you might not be sending the draft to the right people and it will get missed. Another thing we noticed is that people who did not want to acclimate or never properly learned how to use Basecamp would not read the messages in their email and assume that it was not for them. So you still have to manage up because if you want your higher ups to be looking at something, sometimes they still ignore it =)

Lucas

Simple yet elegant and effective.

Reviewed on 26/07/2023

In summary, Basecamp impresses with its simplicity, attention to detail, and comprehensive feature set. Its user-friendly interface and thoughtful design make it easy to navigate and utilize its robust set of project management tools. While the software excels in many aspects, one area for improvement could be providing more fine-grained metrics for tracking project timelines. Nonetheless, Basecamp remains a valuable asset for efficient collaboration, streamlined communication, and effective project management.

Pros

am thoroughly impressed with its simplicity, attention to detail, and robust set of features. The software's straightforward interface makes it incredibly easy to navigate and use, allowing me to quickly get started and stay organized. The attention to detail is evident in every aspect of Basecamp, from its clean design to its thoughtful features that cater to various project management needs.

Cons

While Basecamp offers excellent project management capabilities, having more detailed metrics and insights into the timeline of events would greatly enhance the ability to track progress and identify potential bottlenecks. By incorporating more granular metrics, such as task duration, milestone completion rates, or individual team member contributions, Basecamp could provide users with a more comprehensive understanding of project timelines and enable more effective project planning and management

Subarna
Subarna

Simply the best Project management tool

Reviewed on 31/10/2023

In our company, Basecamp is mostly used as a project management tool that helps us to track our progress smoothly. It makes overall team collaboration effective and members can express themselves better.

Pros

One fantastic aspect of Basecamp is that you can just simply make your workgroups for different teams and its very effective and consistent with how you can communicate with other team memebers. You can have effective interactions and work can be allocated efficiently. It's incredibly beneficial for collaborating with your team

Cons

Because of how responsive the customer support service through the contact us they've responded very rapidly. Every feature that is offered is simple to utilize. I have only seen Basecamp's positive aspects and I haven't yet seen any drawbacks.

Asana