Jira

4.4 (14,243)
Write a Review!
Project & Issue Tracking Software - See why we're #1!

(14,243)

Gaëtan
Gaëtan

Awesome Projects and Tasks Management tool

Reviewed on 15/06/2024

Overall I'm very happy to use Jira in a daily basis. It brings structure and clarity to our project management processes. It is also well connected with the other software of the company, line Slack or Salesforce.

Pros

'Simplicity' is the first word that comes to my mouth when defining Jira. It is incredibly easy to handle for inexperienced users, at least for the basic features - which is enough for a good part of users.
In addition I particularly like the possibility to install add-ons: there is most probably always an existing add-on to solve your problem, just need to search for it.

Cons

I'm not fully satisfied with the time management feature, in particular the need for a DB extract to get the data.
On Jira-online, the "Transitions" view is slow to display, always annoying since it's a useful option.

Max

The Agile Project Management

Reviewed on 20/05/2024

Pros

I customized it to perfectly fit my project's needs, which improved our team's workflow. For example, I created custom workflows to track each stage of our software development easily.

Cons

When our team managed a project with hundreds of tasks, Jira sometimes became slow and unresponsive.

Piotr
  • Industry: Packaging & Containers
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Good idea but not so user friendly

Reviewed on 03/06/2024

Ok as a user and action taker - not sure how this works when you are managing the project

Pros

All tasks for all actions takers are clearly presented. You know who is responsible for action and who you need to report to.

Cons

Navigating between your tasks/action is difficult. Jira opens popups when you don't want it instead of opening task in new window. You will end up with each action opened on new tab to have everything in organised way

Anterpreet

All-in-one project management tool

Reviewed on 17/04/2024

Pros

Overall, the JIRA tool does the job and I would suggest it. I'm quite impressed with its features, which include problem tracking, project management, agile development, configurable processes, and connection with other programs. Enables us to simply generate, track, and manage issues and tasks.

Cons

For beginners, complexity is the main hurdle. Apart from this, technically, it has limited built-in testing features, and setup cost for a startup firms and smaller companies.

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Jira

I was going to work on multiple smaller projects with 5 different set of teams. So, I decided to with Jira instead of Asana etc.
Zarmin

Fantastic

Reviewed on 20/05/2024

I have no complains at all as I has a fantastic experience

I have no complains at all as I has a fantastic experience

Pros

That I was able to communicate w/HHAEX regarding tasks that I had to request or follow up

Cons

It was a great communication source when I needed to communicate

Kobey
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Jira is a no-brainer for scheduling tasks, calendar management and so much more.

Reviewed on 31/05/2024

Jira has been a great tool that makes it easy to streamline processes and get things done.

Pros

I liked the ease-of-use of Jira. While Jira can be complex, it is the type of application that offers great complexity, while still appealing to those that have never used this type of program before.

Cons

Not much. I would be grasping at straws if I wrote anything here.

Made a notable impact on the way we report, manage and track bugs to resolution

Reviewed on 05/06/2024

Pros

We've been using Jira Software for the past few months. First of all, it's pretty good tool for tracking and managing tasks, but there are a few things that could be improved.

One thing I really like about Jira is the ability to create detailed tasks and sub-tasks. It helps in breaking down our monthly goals and KPIs into manageable pieces. This makes it easier to track progress, assignments and stay updated on the overall completion stats. Everyone has visibility into what they need to do and when.

. It can be frustrating when you're in a hurry and the page takes forever to load. I've heard from some colleagues that this is a common issue, so I hope they improve the performance soon.

The integration with other tools is great. We use Slack and Intercom, and the way Jira connects with these tools is really convenient. It makes communication much smoother.

Cons

I found the interface to be a bit overwhelming at first. There's so many features and options that it was confusing for me at times. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and I had to read up docs (which were not so easy to understand) on how to use the Jira automation feature. Maybe it would be better if they simplified the layout a bit.

Another thing that I found annoying is the speed. Sometimes, Jira can be really slow, especially when you're dealing with large projects like ours.

Ritesh
Ritesh

Decent Task and project tacking tool

Reviewed on 15/05/2024

Pros

Jira is one of the most used tool by my current working company. We usually create tickets, log time on the tickets and change status of the tickets. Both the company and the workers are happy with this tool. By far this is the easiest tracking tool that i have ever used in my career. The UI and UX is well designed.

Cons

This does not has much cons but they could improve their UI on the dark mode becuase dark mode feels a bit off. Also, i often forget to stop the log of time but i could later edit it. i hope they come up with an idea to fix this issues.

Sara
Sara
  • Industry: Program Development

powerful project management tool, especially suited to agile software

Reviewed on 11/06/2024

Whenever my supervisor/any individual engineer used to dole out a work to me, I used to compose it in certain docs record/succeed sheet, taking care of text documents for overseeing such undertakings is a weight in itself, so I began to utilize Jira for dealing with every one of my errands. It has an incredible UI, where we can change the advancement of assignments and track things easily.

Pros

One of the helpful apparatus that I have utilized that far concocts mutliple things like for tagging, scrum, sprit maangement and furthermore for documentation. Item is an incredible piece for carrying out different things and can be adjusted eaisly. As an administrator, I likewise like their help surprisingly for certain extraordinary arrangements and furthermore have local area where you can generally track down incredible arrangements.

Cons

They are minimal on the pricier end and I accept it is an extraordinary device for medium size or huge associations.

Priyanka
Priyanka

Jira pros and cons

Reviewed on 04/06/2024

It is good. I used other projecf management tools like spira and others but jira was best among those..the ui is simple

Pros

In jira we can create bugs, issues, stories.. set time limit for it..we can prioritize task. Add time worked on it. Using comments section easy to collaborate between team. Dashboards give high level understanding where the project is..how many bugs assigned to which developer.. various state are present like new, resolved, testing, fixing etc which shows in which state the issue is present.

Cons

I think jira is a bit expensive..so many projects cant afford it. Some level of learning required for new users

Kevin
Kevin
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

JIRA is the best project planning and organising tool

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

My overall experience is excellent, it is the best project management software ever. I have used a few others in the past, but there is none that can compete with JIRA. with a integration of slack, confluence, it is very hard to refuse.

Pros

1. It is very flexible and fitted really well with agile development work. whether you are using kanban or standard sprint planning work flow, it supports all of those.
2. It is extremely useful to do project planning and creating stories, they will be saved in backlogs and you can access them with weight, estimate and priority.
3. It is quick to create a bug ticket to track bugs.
4. It is very easy to plan for a new sprint, by adding task, stories from the backlogs, it helps with the total points you want to target for a particular sprint, it automatically sum up the story points and make sure you don't over plan.
5. great report tool to help you analyse the project completion and nice burn down chart as well. To help the team retrospectively go back and review.

Cons

1. It is a big over complex by providing such flexible functionalities. But it is worth the time and learning curve.
2. As a developer, I don't have to pay the bill. But it is not very cheap if you have a large development team, the bills add up quickly.

Asana

Reasons for Choosing Jira

it is a online saas. It has more functionalities and very flexible. It is suited for many different development processes. It speeds up project planning, sprint planning. bug tracking, deployment process, and so many more.

Reasons for Switching to Jira

very simple task track tool, it probably helps a small agency project that would be completed in a couple months time. With large and complex projects, or bigger development teams, JIRA is the best option out there on the market right now.
Derek
  • Industry: Media Production

Using Jira Software and Service Desk

Reviewed on 24/02/2020

We have been using Jira (and Confluence) for over 10 years. We currently have over 500 projects in Jira with a user base around 2000. We do agile web and app software development and run a support desk with kanban. Each team has their own projects with their own specific needs, from workflows, custom fields, permissions, and notifications. We do not use the cloud product, but a 3rd party, hosted, server version.

Pros

Extensibility. Jira really can be all things to all users. There are so many business workflow processes that we have implemented and all in Jira: advanced software development, workflows for processing contracts and invoices, and support work with incidents and service requests with approvals.

Lastly, with the large dev community and a large pool of app add-ons, we are confident we could extend Jira to be what we need it to be.

Cons

If you don't understand the principles of Agile software development, there will be parts of using Jira that will be foreign to you and will likely go unused.

There is a steep learning curve on the administration-side. With so many functions and features, it can be difficult to know all of your options. The "schemes" that power the project administration can also make it difficult to troubleshoot your setup.

Fergus
  • Industry: Wholesale
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Disappointing attitude!

Reviewed on 11/09/2020

Hugely disappointing attitude. The money they were looking for after 3 months was quite reasonable but the attitude of the customer support agent and the extremly deceitful and dishonest way that they promote this plan was a huge turn-off.

Pros

Seems like a very good software, is very powerful and is reasonably easy to use.

Cons

We found it through our Trello account, after Atlassian took over Trello. We were using another service desk software but noticed that Jira Service Desk could offer all the features we needed, and all for free! Or so we thought! The plan we chose is for small teams (which we are) and is advertised (still to this date) as "Always free for 3 agents". "Free" is further highlighted at the top of the Plans & Pricing page and a large "$0" is displayed. Well, it took some time to get it set up and to import our tickets (this is not easy and we needed support which was quite difficult to get). Once we got set up, it took some time to learn about it (no phone support on free plan!) and we devoted many hours to this. And all was well for about 2-3 months......then we receive an email to say that payment is due! And that our account would be cancelled if we don't pay! What? We contacted Jira, only to be told that we are on a temporary free plan, like a free trial, and that payment is due after 3 months I believe it was. We explained about the "free" plan that we signed up to but the Jira support member just reiterated her point and was quote blunt and unhelpful. We went back to check out the "Plans and Pricing" table on the Atlassian website, thinking we obviously missed the small print. But we didn't!!! They were still brazenly advertising "$0" and "Always free for 3 agents" and there is no mention of a free trial , anywhere on this page at all!!

Zoho Desk

Price

Zendesk Suite

Reasons for Switching to Jira

Price and the solid experience we had with Trello (although of course Trello was another company for most of this time and had only recently been acquired by Atlassian.
Eric

JIRA is essential for good software development but you NEED to invest in configuration

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

I love JIRA because I am an organizer and I spend the time getting it right. But you need that kind of commitment for the best experience.

Pros

The powerhouse controls that allow you to configure exactly the solution you need. JIRA is unmatched in customization. For controlling workflows, getting status updates and clearly understanding what's on your plate, JIRA is amazing.

Cons

The use of JIRA without properly configuring it. Without that commitment, JIRA can be offputting and seem like a heavy mess of a system. You need to remove what you don't use, need to set everything up for individuals and you need to educate your team about how they can use the system. It's so open that it can overwhelm people without management.

Trello

Reasons for Choosing Jira

JIRA is more structured and better at reporting.

Reasons for Switching to Jira

A comprehensive solution, including the use of Confluence for doc management.

Love/hate relationship with JIRA

Reviewed on 05/06/2021

I'll focus on the experience of moving from JIRA Classic to Next Gen project types.

Basically,...

Basically, over 19 years of existence, Atlassian made JIRA so customizable, that it was difficult for new users to get started. You had to spend months learning the platform just to make simple changes to process management.

So Atlassian started over with Next Gen projects. Next Gen projects have some cool features like a road map.

Even though I'm experienced with Classic, I decided to try Next Gen. 95% of the time, it works fine. However, there are frustrating limitations:

* Workflow transitions rules are very limited. Next Gen allows transition to any status.
* Custom fields are project-levels, so moving issues between projects is a pain.
* You can only do Sprints or Kanban
* Epics are just grouping issues. They don't do much else and don't show on the board.
* Single board per project

Pros

* Allows the issue flow to be perfectly configured to match your software development practices.
* Highly customizable process management - define the properties of issues and how they transition between states.
* Integration with many other products, like Slack & GitLab

Cons

* "Next Gen" project type lacks many features of Classic projects.
* Classic Project configuration is full of bloated features and complexity
* Next Gen projects sometimes have frustrating bugs and limitations that don't get fixed for years.
* Issue transition between Next Gen and Classic projects is not smooth (custom properties don't carry over)

Gayan
Gayan

The only project management tool you need

Reviewed on 25/10/2021

JIRA has been an integral part of our software development and project management journey and has just about all the tools you need to successfully manage your project or product offerings.

Pros

JIRA has just about every project management aspect covered in their offering and it's easy to set up and configure to suit your needs.
Reporting, ticket tracking, requirement and comment tracking, workflow customization, task assignment and follow-up + more make the life of a project manager a breeze which would otherwise have to be done using a multitude of tools.

Cons

The permissions structure/permission matrix at the administrative level could be a bit more user-friendly as troubleshooting an incorrectly configured (permission) JIRA instance can be a hassle.
Sometimes when new versions are introduced, some of the older features are dumbed down to make it easier for the user but for power users, this could cause confusion if they were wired to do some tasks using the old methods.

Airtable , Trello and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Jira

JIRA was more feature-rich, had all the project management tools needed under one offering and had integrations with a wide set of 3rd party platforms and programs

MantisBT

Reasons for Switching to Jira

More customizable while being user-friendly at the same time.
Ashish

Excellent solution as “One stop shop” in IT industry

Reviewed on 07/04/2022

Jira is life savior for many new scrum masters and managers for cost effective project management

Pros

This software is very easy to manage day to day work,progress,assignments and forcast for different phases of projects..It turned out to be very effective tool in order to achieve efficient and cost efffective operational model in enterprise organizations

Cons

This software should have most reporting widgets and open integration ports so that various data connectors can be integrated for limitless reporting

Power BI Connector for Jira

Reasons for Choosing Jira

Jira is more user friendly

Confluence

Reasons for Switching to Jira

Jira is easy to handle and support from maintenance perspective
Brad
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Advanced Project & Task Management Features...But How It's Configured is Key to Success

Reviewed on 05/08/2022

Pros

I've been using Atlassian products, JIRA in particular, for over 12 years. It's come a long ways in this span in terms of advanced functionality and additional configurable content, and it's consistently proven itself as a market leader in project and task management services. JIRA reporting, dashboard, task tracking, and project development activities are comprehensively impressively designed, easy to use, and highly collaborative for internal teams.

Cons

The success an end user will yield from the software is highly dependent on it being configured in a manner that aligns with the business needs of the customer organization. For example, I've experienced instances where there are growing pains in how internal teams learn to standardize the way they tag tickets for project and task tracking and then use these identifiers to develop reports, create dashboards, and track schedules. If not setup properly by System Administrators then the ROI will be delayed, making it essential for teams to be properly educated and trained on the system. JIRA provides a wealth of content for training & education but worth noting the difficulty an organization can face if not approached strategically and with strong design plans during the discovery phase of implementation.

Deepanshu

Jira offers a comprehensive range of project management services.

Reviewed on 12/10/2022

From last 3 years, I am using Atlassian products especially Jira. With ease, I am managing my agile and software development products in Jira. This tool offers a vast variety of services/functionalities which really helped me a lot to manage my project and activities on a daily basis. Scrum/kanban board, automation, service desk/issue collectors & integration with other applications like servicenow, slack etc helps me to keep track of all the info at one place. The integration of Jira with other applications like Servicenow, slack, github etc helps me to keep track of all the info at one place. With Github integration, I can manage my repos and pull requests info on Jira issues. Jira slack integration helps to get the notifications each time an issue gets created in my Jira project. Jira Servicenow integration is great functionality for Incident management tracking in Jira.

Pros

The best thing about this tool is that it offers you so much functionalities that makes your day to day work easier to manage and you can easily keep track all the project info at one place. Integration with other applications is one of the great functionality what this tool offers.

Cons

There are limited automations functionalities this software has to offer. While the project is software type, it does not offer you the automations functionalities. Other than that, this tool is a one stop solution for all your project needs.

Zoho Sprints

Reasons for Switching to Jira

Jira is my preferred option over Zoho because of their superior user interface and user experience.
Marianela
Marianela
  • Industry: Chemicals

Jira, a complete platform that increases productivity and successful execution of projects.

Reviewed on 10/03/2023

With JIRA, we can easily assign the priority to each task, to have an objective way that allows us to determine in which tasks we should allocate the greatest effort of our workers and which ones can be rescheduled.Another important aspect is precisely the recording of the progress of the activities, since in JIRA we can do it simply by belonging to the team members who have this role, and in this way, not only the project manager is responsible for doing it , but now it is treated as a collaborative and incremental work, lightening the workloads, execution, and the rest of the activities.

Pros

JIRA is a project management platform that definitely increases visibility and promotes collaboration, with multidisciplinary and even multicultural work teams. Jira organizes the planning and execution of almost any type of project extremely quickly, from large or large, where multiple tasks are supervised, and with a high degree of complexity, to flexible implementations that require simple and collaborative work.In this way, with JIRA we manage the entire execution cycle and even subsequent phases associated with evolutionary maintenance, roadmap, and support.

Cons

Jira is really intuitive, and its functionalities allow the successful execution of large or small projects, however, for the result to be impeccable, we must prepare all the team members and train them properly, and in this way we can expect a process without complications, on the other hand, the licensing may not be as flexible as other usable tools currently on the market but it remains in the average range.

Christopher

Reviewed on 15/05/2023

JIRA is a highly regarded and intuitive application within the Atlassian suite of software development tools. Users have praised its seamless integration with other Atlassian software, making it a comprehensive and cohesive solution for software development teams. The functionalities offered by JIRA are extensive and cater to various aspects of project management, issue tracking, and collaboration.

Pros

The user interface of JIRA is often praised for its user-friendliness and intuitiveness, making it easy for both technical and non-technical users to navigate and utilize its features effectively. Furthermore, JIRA offers extensive customization options, allowing users to tailor the tool to their specific needs and preferences.

Cons

Setting up the workflow and advance reporting features is complex. However, it is worth the time. If documentation and tutorials get better, it would be great. The application provides advanced reporting and analytics capabilities, empowering teams to gain insights into their project metrics, track performance, and make data-driven decisions. JIRA also facilitates seamless collaboration among team members, with features like comment threads, activity streams, and notifications, ensuring everyone stays informed and engaged.

Complete Project management Solution

Reviewed on 17/10/2023

It's a great all in one agile tool. It's easy to use and very powerful. Jira has a lot of integratio...

It's a great all in one agile tool. It's easy to use and very powerful. Jira has a lot of integrations.

Pros

I've been using Jira for over 12 years. The software has grown and improved over time. Jira remains a leading product in class.

Cons

The billing is a pain. Bitbucket is separated out and it's hard to manage the different accounts. The billing panel needs to be easier to use.

ClickUp

Reasons for Choosing Jira

Azure Dev ops was quite expensive and the user management is painful

Reasons for Switching to Jira

Jira is purpose built for Agile. Click up is one of those do everything tools.
Julie

JIRA Should Be Called the *Anti* Project Management Solution!

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

Our decision to transition our project management systems fully to JIRA is one of the biggest regrets I have made for our company. In addition to the cons notes above, things that should be core features are missing or available as a 3rd party plugin, for extra $$. What's worse is that Atlassian has a plugin system with half of the plugins only available for the server version and then they don't build features that should exist in the core product because they are available elsewhere... as long as you use the server version. Run AWAY from this JIRA as fast as you can!!

Pros

If you are willing to do the work, the advanced search is useful and the user experience isn't bad except that to eliminate done tickets you have to deselect all then re-select every option except those of a done type.

Cons

Advanced search is the only useful way to reliably get information out, making getting even the smallest view of your data onerous. The core advantage of the tool - it's lack of structure - make it difficult to complete even the simplest of tasks without a ridiculous amount of effort. It's biggest failing is that everything is too flat by default. For example, I am working on a project now and the team has made duplicate tickets because the original tickets are too hard to find and are just dumped on the screen... we have sometimes used epics/stories/sub-tasks with sprints but these are truly inadequate... in today's time why should someone have to spend 20-30 hours a week grooming the backlog and writing searches when if the tool was any good it should (!!) be able generate these views automatically. We are now investigating other solutions like Wrike (absolutely no affiliation, not even sure we will switch to it) and in 10 minutes of testing we were getting views that we have been struggling to get out of JIRA for over a year. Also, you can't do something obvious like make a reminder in the future for a ticket, so you either get flooded with reminders for just about everything or you have to go outside the product to remind you to do something in JIRA. Seriously!?!

Ding

Review on Atlassian JIRA

Reviewed on 31/05/2020

Overall, JIRA does the job for our team and even though I am on the Systems Team, we ourselves are mostly users as well. That keeps the headaches in check (as things could be very frustrating when trying to administer the applications. See above for the reasons).

Pros

A team needs a ticket/issue tracking system and JIRA Atlassian seems to be used widely in the industry.

As a user, it's easy to use for the most part. Besides having the option of hosting the application in-house, it also has the Cloud edition so from the Systems Team perspective, there's no need for servers, backups, security, keeping the service up (with fault tolerance), etc.

Cons

From the administration aspect of the software, JIRA still has a long way to go:

1) As an administrator, as far as I can see, one can *not* even do such a simple thing as change the Display Name for a user (I suppose it's a "feature" but I can't see why that's a good feature). Instead, an invite is sent out to the user, who can then set the Display Name after signing up.

2) As an administrator, one can login as another user to test permissions. That's normally a nice functionality for administrators. However, for some functionalities, while you are still logged in as another user, you suddenly go back to your normal identity. That's very confusing and thwarts the purpose. One potential good use is being able to login as another user to set/update the Display Name (see #1).

3) Setting permissions is not that easy. I tried to set permissions for an account that's used for scripting (using the REST API) but it seems very difficult (really, it should be easy) to get the permissions done correctly -- sufficient but minimal privileges.

4) The REST API is not great. The online documentation is often outdated and sometimes things don't work (with errors). Even when things run without errors, it might not actually do the thing that it's supposed to do (so you write the code for nothing when you expect it to work).

Miguel
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Managin Technical Projects The Right Way

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

JIRA has lots of features and functionalities than can take time to master. From most project management applications' perspective, JIRA is one of the most complex to master. But it truly is the most complete in terms of offering development teams all the tools they need. This means that trying to run a fairly large and complex enterprise environment on JIRA might need the addition of a JIRA administrator to keep things organized.

Pros

JIRA offers true Agile support for managing technical projects. Initially developed by developers for developers, JIRA is a powerful tool that captures more than just the project management aspect of any development project.

JIRA offers a complete suite of issue tracking throughout the development life cycle. Starting with the backlog and planning, JIRA lets you layout your entire project across as many iterations (Sprints) as necessary. It provides ease of tracking the project progress and offers a host of tools for collaboration such as commenting threads. Projects and their projects can also be tracked across releases, with its release management capabilities, and provide comprehensive reports on performance and progress.

JIRA is extremely flexible and offers pre-set templates across all functionalities, and allows you to modify them as neededto fit your team and organization's needs. Unlike some products with rigidity built into them, JIRA allows you to define how your team works.

JIRA has a vast number of integrations and add-ons to further enhance its capabilities.

Cons

JIRA is very powerful and very detailed. So much so, that some users often find it quite cumbersome if their development environments are not complex. Essentially, JIRA fits beautifully in any environment, but is extremely robust for enterprise environments, making it perceptively complex in small simple projects.